Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
A rare “lose-lose” trade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gonna open myself up to ridicule and ask why California is always so dry when it's right on the ocean.

Yeah obviously you can't water crops with seawater, but wouldn't weather patterns over a large body of water move some moisture over the state? Or does that all get pushed north to OR/WA?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

C-Euro posted:

Gonna open myself up to ridicule and ask why California is always so dry when it's right on the ocean.

Yeah obviously you can't water crops with seawater, but wouldn't weather patterns over a large body of water move some moisture over the state? Or does that all get pushed north to OR/WA?

California is really big and does get a lot of rain in parts of it. Parts of California are also part of one of the hottest deserts on the planet. In short, California is a land of contrasts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1491827050398765064

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1491839227843203075

I can't decide whether this is a lot or a little. The protected 2027 (?) first round pick is a long haul.

I think I'd feel a little bad for the Nets after they finally got exciting for a bit last year if I were able to feel anything for the Nets.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

funny how CA finally gets around to this after Tesla moves its HQ to Texas. wonder what was stopping them before?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There's also a kinda-joke about SoCal stealing all the water from NorCal.

Meanwhile I'm snacking on California-grown almonds, which are notorious for being a very water-hungry crops

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

C-Euro posted:

The airflow coming from the ocean onto shore hits a coastal range that extends most of the state; that's where a lot of the moisture gets dumped. Only when the jet stream (that normally runs up into oregon/washington/canada) plows straight across the width of the state, does a lot of moisture make it to the sierra nevada and get dumped as snow. Our seasonal snowpack melting in the spring feeds our reservoirs.

Frequently we develop a zone of high pressure sitting over the central valley. This forces the jet stream to flow north, well off coast, and robs us of moisture coming from the ocean. The coastal communities can still get fog daily during the summer, but this doesn't result in significant water in the ground anywhere else.

California consequently has a medeterranean type climate. Mild winters, intermittent precip in the winter and spring, long hot dry summers and autumns. Due to climate change, we are having more and more dry years where precip doesn't start until late, we go for weeks between rainfall even in the winter, spring highs are higher and drier, and summers are longer and hotter.

This year, supposedly a "la nina" year, we had heavier than normal rainfall in December. But we've had a totally dry January and that's led to a mini fire season. We're still hopeful for more spring rain. If we don't get it, we'll remain in a severe drought statewide.

e. https://www.drought.gov/states/california
We're currently still in "severe" drought category: we've been in the "Exceptional" category in most inland counties for years, and will likely be back into "Exceptional" this year; if we're lucky with spring rain, we might drop down to "extreme" and "severe" in most inland counties.

IMO we will never see a single year below "moderate drought" again in the next few centuries.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 10, 2022

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Give us your freaking water, bay area

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Gravity Falls owns so gosh darn much

Wendy Corduroy is who I wish I was.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Android Apocalypse posted:

Disney seems to have found it's rut in terms of quality, first off with the MCU and now with Star Wars.

I used to be all in on anything Pixar & Disney Animation put out but I haven't seen the recent stuff and honestly since I was noticing the general template for storytelling was all the same there too.

I've heard good things about Encanto

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

C-Euro posted:

The Pacific current along the coast runs from north to south, making it a cold current, bringing cooler water from Alaska down the coast (as opposed to the Gulf Stream current on the Gulf coast and east coast that brings warmer water northward). This cold current makes the immediate coast very stable, and that stability reduces rain chances. Areas further north sometimes are affected by a jet streak (called "atmospheric river" or "pineapple express") that brings high moisture in and overwhelms the stabilization from the cold current, but that jet very rarely makes it down to central and southern California.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

a neat cape posted:

Give us your freaking water, bay area

STOP WATERING YOUR LAWNS WITH IT! YOU'RE IN A DESERT ACCEPT IT WE NEED IT SO THIS GUY CAN SNACK

Android Apocalypse posted:

Meanwhile I'm snacking on California-grown almonds, which are notorious for being a very water-hungry crops

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

the south african emerald mine guy? nahhhhhhh

Man, I hope I never have occasion to be burned this beautifully by a former teacher

https://twitter.com/jjouvenal/status/1491845449287970819

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Its Rinaldo posted:

It's fine. My girls love it. I think I have Lin-Manuel Miranda burnout but We Don't Talk About Bruno is a jam.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

STOP WATERING YOUR LAWNS WITH IT! YOU'RE IN A DESERT ACCEPT IT WE NEED IT SO THIS GUY CAN SNACK

IM ALSO EATING ALMONDS AND DONT HAVE A LAWN SO THERE

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

C-Euro posted:

"Don't post anything that you wouldn't want your wife to see" is a personal rule of mine on SA (and other posting places I guess), though granted she has a fairly high tolerance for my nonsense.

I’m sad that I’ve posted some bad things in the past. And I get even sadder when I think about the younger generations who have spent their lives online. Nobody should know what anybody else did when they were middle or high schoolers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a neat cape posted:

IM ALSO EATING ALMONDS AND DONT HAVE A LAWN SO THERE

each individual almond uses 12 liters of fresh irrigation water

if we scrapped half our almond and pistachio production for the state, that would basically solve all our water issues lol (not really, because the farmland would be used for growing something else, and water isn't uniformly distributed, and a lot of the orchard water is being pulled from ancient aquifers rather than from our surface water, etc. but still the point stands that our cash crop for export is california's #1 water problem by a giant margin)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CONGRESS CREATED DUST BOWL

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You want us to STOP GROWING FOOD!?!?!?!?! YOU IGNORANT CITY FOLKS ALWAYS TRYNA DESTROY YOUR OWN FOOD SOURCE?????

this sign erected by FoodCo Global Conglomerate Inc., a Fortune 500 leader in innovative biopharmatech agrichemical devastation

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Every time you eat an almond, a California kitty dies.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's a fun fact: agriculture is less than 3% of California's GDP.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Here's a fun fact: agriculture is less than 3% of California's GDP.

I grew up in a family business that was ag-adjacent. The last 30 years have been wild

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Here’s my California lawn

Thinking about planting clover since I don’t think grass will fair well up here at 7500 feet.

I should rake now that our one snowfall this season has melted.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I have a courtyard with a tree.

Condo life

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah

it's also just like: california makes so much loving money from high tech, biotech, banking and financial services, and even light and medium industry, it just absolutely dwarfs the agricultural industry in terms of gross revenues, even though we're also 13% of the US's total agriculture revenue. We produce two thirds of the country's fruit and nuts.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

yeah

it's also just like: california makes so much loving money from high tech, biotech, banking and financial services, and even light and medium industry, it just absolutely dwarfs the agricultural industry in terms of gross revenues, even though we're also 13% of the US's total agriculture revenue. We produce two thirds of the country's fruit and nuts.

Driving from Palm Springs to El Centro as a kid and just seeing the endless grape fields and lettuce and carrot fields were wild

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

Here’s my California lawn

Thinking about planting clover since I don’t think grass will fair well up here at 7500 feet.

I should rake now that our one snowfall this season has melted.

Plant native plants!

My "lawn" is whatever grows without any watering, usually a patch of grassy weeds every winter that I diligently mow. I let it die in the summer. But our plan is to completely replace the front yard's landscaping with 100% natives, which should be well adapted to the local climate and will also attract native birds and butterflies and so on.

For you, there are high-alpine native grasses and plants that will do great. Clover isn't a terrible option mind you, it attracts bees and looks nice and so on.

I'll note that if you go to a plant nursery and look in their "natives" section it'll be plants from all over California; you'll have to actually do your own research to find out which are your genuinely local natives, but there's tons of native landscaping groups and stuff around so there's plenty of help for that.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

My local plants are rocks

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

My local plants are rocks

7500 is above the treeline? It's typically above 8k feet, but I suppose it's variable.
Even within the subalpine and alpine zones, there's natives you can plant though!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_plants_of_the_Sierra_Nevada_(U.S.)#Subalpine_Zone

sedges, bunchgrasses, monkeyflower, etc. would make a lovely garden

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

Now listen here I'm going to learn you about soybean production mister.

(We get a whole lot of soybean and how to grow soybean commercials during college football season on the radio around here. I don't actually know anything about it but it's enough to be worth advertising I guess?)

Looking it up it does seem to be mostly a midwest thing in the states.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Its Rinaldo posted:

It's pretty good, honestly.

Silly Burrito posted:

Every time you eat an almond, a California kitty dies.

poo poo, I'm all out of almonds.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Doesn't So Cal get most of its water from the Colorado river still?

That river is actually a lot closer to southern california than northern california. I'm sure there's some movement of water between the two areas, but still.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’m up in big bear lotta native stuff, but want something that doesn’t grow tall, is low maintenance and that the dog won’t get sick eating. Plus cheap really cheap.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a sexual elk posted:

I’m up in big bear lotta native stuff, but want something that doesn’t grow tall, is low maintenance and that the dog won’t get sick eating. Plus cheap really cheap.

ehhh I'm gonna be up there next weekend for five days!

still hasn't snowed since loving New Years, huh

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My lawn is ugly and toasted from like July-November and then covered in snow until April so I don’t really give a gently caress.

My retired neighbor across the street spends a lot of time and energy and water on his lawn every week but by the time August rolls around both of ours look the same-brown and crispy.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Play posted:

ehhh I'm gonna be up there next weekend for five days!

still hasn't snowed since loving New Years, huh

Gonna be slushy wet snow if anything

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a sexual elk posted:

Gonna be slushy wet snow if anything

I mean the weekend after this next one, but yeah I know. I've been waiting for it to snow since it was fantastic around Christmas and New Years. But I can't wait forever ffs, I have a season pass and a free cabin to use up there and I gotta use it even if the snow sucks rear end.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

Yeah I'm not an expert so I have no idea what is nondogtoxic and also what would be cheap up there. Low maintenance is like one of the hallmarks of native gardening though. Actually it's almost impossible to find something as high loving maintenance as a patch of trimmed green european grass grown in our not-England environment.

Clover hits all your marks of course so it's not a terrible plan anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a sexual elk posted:

If you're in like a gardening store looking at plants just googling "[plant name] dog" will almost always have the first result telling you if it's safe for dogs. Or at least it works that way with "[plant name] cats"