Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

XB2 had a broken pity system which added to its issues.

Basically the way the game works is that when you start a new file, you're assigned one of five 'groups.' The rates of all the blades are different in each group, so for instance one group might have Finch at 2% and the other might have her at 15%. The game guarantees you five rare blades, with what blades they are determined by your file. If you don't roll a rare blade for a few dozen rolls, you get one of your file's guaranteed rare blades, or 'pity blades.'

The issue is that if you already have the rare blade you'd get by pity, you don't get anything, and if you already have all five, the pity system goes away. To counteract this, the game has each group's pity blades set to really low drop rates.

So let's take, say, Group A. Hypothetically mind, this isn't actual group A drop rates or pity. The pity blades are, iunno, Finch, Newt, Ursula, Sheba, Dagas. So they all have really low pull rates, so you don't pull them before you hit pity.

Except the game's drop rates and pity blades are mixed up. Group A actually has the drop rates of group B, but the pity blades of Group A. So Finch, Newt, Ursula, Sheba, and Dagas don't have reduced drop rates, so you're likely to pull them before you get them off pity. And meanwhile, there's five completely random blades with extremely low drop rates for no reason, because they're group B's pity blades, but you aren't getting them off pity. So instead of five guaranteed blades and then some blades with high drop rates, you just have five blades with high drop rates that you'll also get off pity if you're unlucky.

This drastically reduces the chances of filling out the rare blade roster in any given file, as well as lengthens the gaps between getting rare blades. This was never patched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I hope there is more Gotcha so bad

Are you trying to make me cry? Because its working.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Weird question, is the gatcha thing something that rares make the game easier/better, or does it only matter for the 1% end game super bosses grind?

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
The fundamental idea of one of these sprawling spreadsheet character build games giving you a random assortment of stuff to make those builds from rather than giving everyone the same things so there winds up being a very small number of best answers that you can walk into the game already knowing isn't a bad one. There are just a lot of decisions in XB2 that interact badly with its specific implementation.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Orbs only mattered for high HP enemies that you couldn't just obliterate with driver combos.

I remember combat was paced such that for random trash fights, I'd kill them around the time I started getting orb combos ready, so the game was just constantly blueballing me for the big fancy high-damage combos (or, at best, I'd get them to finish off the last 5-10% of the mob's HP)

It was kind of annoying, but I might have just been doing something wrong

pentyne posted:

Weird question, is the gatcha thing something that rares make the game easier/better, or does it only matter for the 1% end game super bosses grind?

Hypergrinders wanted common blades with very specific (but randomly generated) skill sets

More casual players wanted rare blades because they had cool unique designs and sidequests and stuff

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

You can easily beat the game with just common blades. There are a lot of common blade possibilities that are better than most of the rare blades. However, common blades are really dull and boring.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Yeah I finished XB2 without KOS-MOS and a handful of other Rares (because I gave up in disgust) and you can definitely finish the game... it just felt, I dunno, anticlimactic? A lot of other players were extolling the virtues of their rare blades and all the cool poo poo they were doing with their flashy shiny stuff.... while you're scrambling through the dirt with your commons.

I'm greatly exaggerating of course, but I definitely feel disappointed with my XB2 experience, feeling like I was forced to miss a lot of the fun stuff other got.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the idea is clearly for everyone to have their own rare blades and own unique experiences but the reality is often that people just feel like they got screwed by rng. rather than 'wow i got dagas' its getting mad when other people have kosmos.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
it was really fun comparing strategies and approaches in through the game with friends because we got wildly different blades. They don't have to specifically do a gacha styled thing (Xenoblade X had a lot of early-to-midgame strategy differentiation due to class/characters) for that, but the resulting social experience was fun.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

You can easily beat the game with just common blades. There are a lot of common blade possibilities that are better than most of the rare blades. However, common blades are really dull and boring.

This is real problem tbh. They really needed to spruce up the common blade, like make them look like off brand versions of the rare blades or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is real problem tbh. They really needed to spruce up the common blade, like make them look like off brand versions of the rare blades or something.
Just emulate an actual gacha game where even the most common characters are unique. Rather than just 'generic' and 'actual character,' you just have a rarity from 1 to 5 stars and unique characters at every rarity. A lot of the most popular and fun to use characters in, say, Fate/Grand Order, are one stars or two stars that you get five billion copies of. And they're actual characters with personalities and distinct designs, and unique movesets.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Introducing gacha mechanics into a regular game is just one of the worst ideas anyone has ever had, even if the 'mercy' mechanics were properly implemented it's still a system where the player's character choice is mediated by the game cutting you a break if you get too many bad rolls on its fake gambling, and created pointless timesinks and clerical work where you regularly have to unbox loads more cores, discard your the trash commons and set all the busywork tasks they invented to give common blades any purpose at all. To think that they could have just made them sidequests...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

Just emulate an actual gacha game where even the most common characters are unique. Rather than just 'generic' and 'actual character,' you just have a rarity from 1 to 5 stars and unique characters at every rarity. A lot of the most popular and fun to use characters in, say, Fate/Grand Order, are one stars or two stars that you get five billion copies of. And they're actual characters with personalities and distinct designs, and unique movesets.

This would have been something at least, but really wouldn't you need at least like four times as many unique Blades then, to keep it a mechanic you're engaging with the whole game?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alternatively why not just give the player items at set points that guarantee them a rare blade and have which are blade it is be random, but no dupes/empty rolls and no common blades. have the items come at certain points in the story and as rewards for involved sidequests. have enough that you can get every rare blade if you do most of the sidequests. done.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Endorph posted:

the idea is clearly for everyone to have their own rare blades and own unique experiences but the reality is often that people just feel like they got screwed by rng. rather than 'wow i got dagas' its getting mad when other people have kosmos.

Yeah. The fact it's technically possible to get whatever Blade you're jealous of was probably the biggest misstep, because it's a really miserable experience hunting for a specific blade, and that sours everything about it

iirc, rare blades also had their own unique storylines and side quests, so it genuinely felt like you were "missing" content. It'd be different if it was just a different skin

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

alternatively why not just give the player items at set points that guarantee them a rare blade and have which are blade it is be random, but no dupes/empty rolls and no common blades. have the items come at certain points in the story and as rewards for involved sidequests. have enough that you can get every rare blade if you do most of the sidequests. done.

That seems perfectly reasonable and would have made the game so much less of a pain

I've got some faith that they don't completely drop the ball again for 3 at least, the Torna DLC pared back or replaced nearly all the weird design issues from 2's base game so it seems like there's some awareness that Mistakes Were Made

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean all joking aside this game seems to go back to a set party with set weapons so a gotcha doesn’t really make sense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WarpDogs posted:

iirc, rare blades also had their own unique storylines and side quests, so it genuinely felt like you were "missing" content. It'd be different if it was just a different skin
They did have unique side quests but most of them weren't really that story heavy, but of course it's easy to say that, it still doesnt change the badfeel of missing out on content.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

There was a xc2 postmortem interview on usgamer back in the day where the director explained the logic of the weird gacha. It was an attempt to get people to use the switch's share button to record and tweet out the summoning sequence when they got a rare blade (or at least that was his publicly stated reason).

Hopefully Xenoblade is big enough now they don't need to create that kind of gimmick again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I can’t see a reason to lie the goth ha wasn’t really monetized. You could buy a DLC with packs but that DOC came with a lot of things

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

This what I was thinking at first but they seem adverse to dupes for whatever reason so here's a bunch of generic looking robot people instead so you can keep engaging with this system. I feel like I would at least get a chuckle out of Great Value Finch.

Endorph posted:

This would be the best solution however.

I get the idea behind what they wanted to do and have no problem with the gacha especially one doesn't cost real money, but what it really comes down to is they really half assed the implementation for XB2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It seems like the "fix" for the pity system would be fairly straightforward, too. It seems like the better way to do it would be for every rare blade to be in the pity list, and the difference between files is the order that the blades appear in that list. That way you don't run out of "pity" blades until you have all the rare blades, however long that takes, but different files will still have a different experiences because the order of the list is different, or maybe it's just weighted so certain rare blades are more likely to be your pity blade, but once you have all of those then you start getting the others in random order.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The gacha system is largely fine for normal play and only really gets bad if you want to 100% the game (don't 100% the game) or are really attached to a certain blade. You can't really get screwed because it's perfectly viable to complete the main game and even a fair bit of post game stuff with just the story blades. I do agree that common blades probably shouldn't exist because they are boring, even if mechanically they can be better than a lot of the rare blades.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Just let me buy the rare blades with, I dunno, Black Liver Beans :emo:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I kinda thought the game was going to play a trick based on how the treatment of blades was a big part of the plot. Guilt trip you for leaving all those generic dog blades to gather dust for that cool Shulk blade or something.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Really hope that blades don't return. It was pain to manage them.

Annoying to swap them out just so I could use a jump pad.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Get hype for the jam that will be You Will Recollect Our Names

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
It's gonna be gatcha mechs this time around.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

They did have unique side quests but most of them weren't really that story heavy, but of course it's easy to say that, it still doesnt change the badfeel of missing out on content.

And thankfully most of the rare blades with sidequests were ones you got from quests and not random.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Palmtree Panic posted:

Really hope that blades don't return. It was pain to manage them.

Annoying to swap them out just so I could use a jump pad.

Yeah I hated blade management more than anything.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

xeno games always have some weirdass UI decisions and i hope they have someone to make menus more user-friendly this go round. like, an inventory system you can easily sort through and peruse would be pretty nice

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

WrightOfWay posted:

The gacha system is largely fine for normal play and only really gets bad if you want to 100% the game (don't 100% the game) or are really attached to a certain blade. You can't really get screwed because it's perfectly viable to complete the main game and even a fair bit of post game stuff with just the story blades. I do agree that common blades probably shouldn't exist because they are boring, even if mechanically they can be better than a lot of the rare blades.

i liked the gacha for normal play specifically because it was fun getting cool (if bad) blades early on. Like, I think Perun's character design is cool, but I would've never used her had she not been one of the first blades I came across.
Or, alternatively, getting Zenobia early on in another playthrough meant I was constantly searching out and challenging the assorted minibosses as early as possible, instead of avoiding them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm just so happy the main character has a design that's not stupid and repellent like Rex's bathing suit chaps look.
Also the Monado looks hella cool all pointy like that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean they get around that by his design being pretty boring

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The new Monado is interesting because it seems to be combining bits of the original and Pyra's sword.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Origami guy is cool though and seeing how his power translates to what the switch can do shall be something

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
im glad this game is looking more xb1-ish aesthetically then xb2-ish. xb1 was anime but 2 was Anime

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
also good lord no more gacha in a single player game unless you can easily game it jesus christ

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

that huge metal face mech looks sick as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Blaziken386 posted:

i liked the gacha for normal play specifically because it was fun getting cool (if bad) blades early on. Like, I think Perun's character design is cool, but I would've never used her had she not been one of the first blades I came across.
Or, alternatively, getting Zenobia early on in another playthrough meant I was constantly searching out and challenging the assorted minibosses as early as possible, instead of avoiding them.

According to the devs this kind of experience was the intent behind the system and the different pity rosters. They wanted you to have a slightly different feel about your party and their capabilities then the next person playing.

It's got problems but kinda works! Of course, everybody wants to catch em all, and it doesn't become massively easier past a certain point like you'd expect.

Like, they didn't expect grinding out 100% to be a thing people did in one playthrough.

E: and yeah there were some bugs with the implementation spotted by data mining and tests