Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

People in the general chat thread still like to poo poo on the series when it’s brought up. I suspect a number of those posters are also in this list.

https://twitter.com/MatsPips/status/1490479184392695814?s=20&t=nfpJWMeaY9pD_QRqfbxlCw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

LionArcher posted:

People in the general chat thread still like to poo poo on the series when it’s brought up. I suspect a number of those posters are also in this list.

https://twitter.com/MatsPips/status/1490479184392695814?s=20&t=nfpJWMeaY9pD_QRqfbxlCw

:lol: some funny stuff in that Twitter thread. When I see folks on this site dismiss the show it seems to usually be something like "Oh yeah I tried reading a few of those books when I was a teen and gave up they were boring and long lol the show looks stupid"

Some people just have bad taste, some people had a poor attention span when they were a kid (or an adult) and wrote off the series out of hand.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

canepazzo posted:

One tiny, inconsequential (so far, I'm only at book three, so it might be important later) detail I love is how Perrin, Rand and (less so) Mat all think the other two are better at talking to girls.

I didn't not notice it when reading the first 9/10 books as a teen, but it definitely didn't stand out to me as much either. It's not just that one thing though, and Jordan made it pretty clear that a lot of the characters were [talking about general narrative structure of the books, without mentioning any specific events or characters] telling their own story from their own point of view, where they were often better/worse at things than they thought while also praising or criticizing others for the same stuff, or doing things they thought were for the best in some fashion despite what others around them thought in their own POV bits. A lot of characters think about how they fare at dealing with anger or fear in comparison to others, as another example that crops up a lot.

Another thing that crops up quite often is "men are all or all do x" and "women are all or do y" quotes from the other gender, usually with men and women thinking the other is just as good, bad or indifferent about a thing within short order. So you'll get female characters talking about how men are all gossipy, and then male characters thinking that women can't be stopped once they find out some gossip and it'll usually work out that the person in question didn't spread anything, and it was just the prejudice of the character whose POV you were in at work.

It's pretty apparent that Jordan wanted to rub in that for all the differences in people, that they are all the same at the end of the day too and that it's people working together despite those differences that can resolve issues while the ones who concentrate on the differences end up tearing things apart.

LionArcher posted:

I'm honestly shocked it's only 29%; I'd have expected it to be twice that, or more.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 7, 2022

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
The other 71% are that terrible subclass of nerds who are LIVID that they dared change anything from the books.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The other 71% are that terrible subclass of nerds who are LIVID that they dared change anything from the books.

I'd say that a fair whack of those 71% are still mad about girls or race, but they just manage to couch their reviews without using those words.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

There's definitely some changes that I feel like didn't work out like they had hoped, and some other stuff that left me scratching my head, but anyone that worked themselves into leaving an angry one star review over changes really needs to relax and look at their choices in life.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

How are u posted:

Some people just have bad taste, some people had a poor attention span when they were a kid (or an adult) and wrote off the series out of hand.

let's not fool ourselves into thinking WoT is stellar literature

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

i say swears online posted:

let's not fool ourselves into thinking WoT is stellar literature

Its no Blood Meridian or Moby Dick but among genre fiction Id rank it pretty highly

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So I just finished watching this. As someone who never read the book, was it always extremely obvious who the Dragon would end up being? Of course it was the generic leading man.

That said, I'm enjoying it quite a bit and I'm glad it's getting at least one more season. Still really want to know what was up with all those overgrown skyscrapers in the first episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In the book it was always obviously going to be the generic leading man because it was his POV from page one.

The "who it is???" framing was a new wrinkle the show added.

e: as for the overgrown skyscrapers, compare it to the sci-fi cityscape in Episode 8.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 10, 2022

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Polaron posted:

So I just finished watching this. As someone who never read the book, was it always extremely obvious who the Dragon would end up being? Of course it was the generic leading man.

That said, I'm enjoying it quite a bit and I'm glad it's getting at least one more season. Still really want to know what was up with all those overgrown skyscrapers in the first episode.

This is a result of not having the ability to do PoV in a show, it isn't ever really a question in the books.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I dont think the book even admits that Moraine was looking for the Dragon until after Rand fights the Dark One and wins. Theres some context clues but Moraine doesnt say the word 'Dragon' in connection with the characters until the last line of the book.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
They've just crossed the Taren Ferry and left Two Rivers in my virgin read-through and she hasn't mentioned it so far. Only that the Dark One is looking for them. Though it seems a bit odd that they haven't questioned her really as to why he is, given it has forced them to leave their home.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
It's all something that's not hard to piece together but it's not actually stated up front. But the reason why it's not hard to piece together is because of the constant stream of internal POV details in the books, so it's not surprising the show put it up front.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Polaron posted:

It's abundantly clear to the reader from the very beginning, just by virtue of who's point of view the entire story shapes around, and we see the scene where his dad feverishly tells him the story of how he found him as a baby on the side of a volcano in the middle of a battle before they ever even leave the village. More and more clues are gradually revealed to the main character over the rest of the book, who stubbornly ignores/suppresses them as he goes deeper and deeper into denial until the very end when he fights the Dark One. Moiraine herself never even admits that the Dragon is what she's looking for until after he wins that fight. For the rest of the characters, they either have no idea what's going on, or they know what's going on and have it narrowed down to one of the three boys from the village, but not which one.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

They've just crossed the Taren Ferry and left Two Rivers in my virgin read-through and she hasn't mentioned it so far. Only that the Dark One is looking for them. Though it seems a bit odd that they haven't questioned her really as to why he is, given it has forced them to leave their home.

Been a long while but I think she tells the boys that they're all ta'varen and that's part of why the Dark One is after them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah the book makes a huge deal out of the ta'veren thing, whereas the show has hardly mentioned it after the first episode.

In the books everyone's all like "oh poo poo everything is happening and these three boys are at the center of it all, oh well must be ta'veren"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Been a long while but I think she tells the boys that they're all ta'varen and that's part of why the Dark One is after them.

I don't think so, I remember Loial introducing the ta'veren term

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Just checked it - ta'veren is not mentioned yet. She mentions that there is significance in the boys' ages and the fact that the Trollocs only went after buildings related to them. Rand does ask why, and she just says there is no answer to that in Two Rivers, but the answer is important, given the presence of Trollocs where they have not been for a long time. Shortly after she says there is something in one or all of them the Dark One fears. I suppose it makes sense that Rand accepts this based on the evidence, and that leaving Two Rivers therefore is the only way to protect the place.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

I don't think so, I remember Loial introducing the ta'veren term

Yup, just checked my kindle copy and you're right.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Who the dragon is is very obvious to readers unless they were dumb unperceptive teenagers on a first read (Hello!)

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Yeah, it's totally obvious. Rand hears his father muttering when he's injured about finding Rand and it's immediately apparent he is not his biological son and has an important provenance. Then Rand has a dream where the Dark One is urging him to serve him, and where Dragonmount appears (although not named it's made obvious) as well as Tar Valon. Although it could technically still be Mat or Perrin at this point there is nothing other than their age to point to it; then there's the fact that Rand is a POV character and we have seen far more of him then the other two, such that were it one of them it would feel like deliberate misdirection on Jordan's part.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus well, he's otherwise boring and has a cool sword, whereas the other two get special powerup gimmicks early on.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's also the prologue with the first dragon going insane and then cutting to Rand to start the first chapter

I'm still a bit salty that was relegated to a bonus content short

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

EDIT: wrong thread

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

e: wrong thread I guess

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

I dont think the book even admits that Moraine was looking for the Dragon until after Rand fights the Dark One and wins. Theres some context clues but Moraine doesnt say the word 'Dragon' in connection with the characters until the last line of the book.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Just checked it - ta'veren is not mentioned yet. She mentions that there is significance in the boys' ages and the fact that the Trollocs only went after buildings related to them. Rand does ask why, and she just says there is no answer to that in Two Rivers, but the answer is important, given the presence of Trollocs where they have not been for a long time. Shortly after she says there is something in one or all of them the Dark One fears. I suppose it makes sense that Rand accepts this based on the evidence, and that leaving Two Rivers therefore is the only way to protect the place.
The books make out that the Dragon is basically the antichrist so this stuff makes a lot more sense in that context. The show hasn't really done that, when Rand realises he's the Dragon it's serious but not on the same level. Also it seems like he just accepted he's the Dragon, which I guess may enable them to skip more book stuff

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Who the dragon is is very obvious to readers unless they were dumb unperceptive teenagers on a first read (Hello!)
Lolsame

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

St0rmD posted:

his dad feverishly tells him the story of how he found him as a baby on the side of a volcano in the middle of a battle

I just remembered how badly the show flubbed this moment. A hurried bit of flashback dialogue as Rand is slowly walking forward

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

I just remembered how badly the show flubbed this moment. A hurried bit of flashback dialogue as Rand is slowly walking forward

He's walking normally, and there's like 2 seconds of slowmo from behind while the camera focuses on the heron blade. As if there's some kind of symbolism on him walking towards his destiny and accepting it, instead of being in denial like the previous 7 episodes.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

El Grillo posted:

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Lolsame

Boy, this dragon guy sounds like bad news! Unrelatedly, I wonder what the main character's mysterious secret destiny is! [Stays up reading until morning on a school night, relates deeply to thinking everyone else is better at talking to girls.]

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CainFortea posted:

He's walking normally, and there's like 2 seconds of slowmo from behind while the camera focuses on the heron blade. As if there's some kind of symbolism on him walking towards his destiny and accepting it, instead of being in denial like the previous 7 episodes.

Do love that your only contention is the speed of Rands walk, rather than the butchering of a scene fans had been waiting for years

E: and you acknowledged there's some slomo!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Boy, this dragon guy sounds like bad news! Unrelatedly, I wonder what the main character's mysterious secret destiny is! [Stays up reading until morning on a school night, relates deeply to thinking everyone else is better at talking to girls.]

"It sounds like this random backwoods nobody will get to be a witness to history, that'll be pretty neat. I wonder how it'll go down when whatever big important distant figures start doing things. Anyway good thing this won't be some obvious first-person chosen-one misunderstood superhero savior story"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I thought the reveal was done really well :)

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I feel like they spent so much time on misdirection that they left no time for the actual direction. It's like they were so wedded to the whole "who is the Dragon" gimmick that they made sure to spend lots of time with the non-Dragons while not spending any time on the actual Dragon. Which paradoxically made him sort of obviously it but also means that now you have a series where they audience doesn't have a lot of time or connection with the actual main character. They really needed more time in this, and even if they didn't have it I think they should have sacrificed some time from the "warder commits suicide" plot to, I dunno, have Lan teach Rand how to actually swing his sword, or some other easy character moments.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Do love that your only contention is the speed of Rands walk, rather than the butchering of a scene fans had been waiting for years

It's an easy point of contention because you're wrong. And I always get a laugh out of people complaining about things in the show that aren't in the show. Like, even the slow mo isn't "rand slowly walking forward". If someone is sprinting in slow mo we don't say they're slowly walking forward.

And no one has been waiting for this scene for years because it's entirely in the show and not in the book.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Shageletic posted:

Its not a single scene like in the book, the reveal is spread across the entire episode, beginning with the cold open, continued with the scene of Tam and Rand in the woods later in the episode, and finished with the reveal of Tam/birth of Rand and his acceptance of his birth. I thought it was handled well and outside of it being moved to a later point in the story due to adding the mystery of the Dragon Reborn's identity, it conveyed exactly what the book version did.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Rating it 1/10 is absurd but I still think it's a massive disappointment considering the source material and budget it was given. It was forgotten about pretty quickly and received "meh" feedback.

Even if you really like how they told the story, it looks cheaply made and most of the actors are bad. Although that might just be because Rosamund Pike is so much better than anyone on the show and the pandemic screwed up filming schedules.

I'd say it's a 5/10. Don't regret watching but not something I'd go out and recommend. There is way too much good TV out there these days.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Its not a single scene like in the book, the reveal is spread across the entire episode, beginning with the cold open, continued with the scene of Tam and Rand in the woods later in the episode, and finished with the reveal of Tam/birth of Rand and his acceptance of his birth. I thought it was handled well and outside of it being moved to a later point in the story due to adding the mystery of the Dragon Reborn's identity, it conveyed exactly what the book version did.

Just rewatched it. Tam has three lines. It's pretty bare of drama, in a pretty key scene.

CainFortea posted:

It's an easy point of contention because you're wrong. And I always get a laugh out of people complaining about things in the show that aren't in the show. Like, even the slow mo isn't "rand slowly walking forward". If someone is sprinting in slow mo we don't say they're slowly walking forward.

And no one has been waiting for this scene for years because it's entirely in the show and not in the book.

Just laughing as I angrily post at anyone who criticizes this TV show

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How dare people like a TV show, the absolute gall of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I liked it in general, but the last two eps were Not Great. The Dragon reveal was Not Great. It was OK, but not what it could have been.