Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Beans are a swing role between veg and protein, it just depends how you eat them.
Like the vowels: A E I O U and sometimes Y! :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hirayuki posted:

Like the vowels: A E I O U and sometimes Y! :pseudo:

Exactly! I eat all of those quite differently.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

My pet peeve is millennials who use Simpsons references as a substitute for humour.

That’s good!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Just kidding, it's all I have.
That’s bad!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like if beans are a vegetable then why isn't rice a vegetable?
Because of the component of the meal they are. Rice and pasta and bread don't count as the vegetable part of a meal, whereas beans definitely do. Potatoes are borderline. They're vegetables, but they're often grouped with the... bulk? filler? Whatever you call that pasta/rice/bread category.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What does that make mushrooms?
Although they're obviously not actually a vegetable, they definitely count as a vegetable. If you've got a plate of rice, beans, mushrooms, carrots, corn and chicken: the chicken's the meat, the rice is the... base? and the rest are vegetables.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's this. I'm genuinely baffled.

Like if beans are a vegetable then why isn't rice a vegetable? Why aren't oats? Is hummus a vegetable slurry? What does that make mushrooms?

Beans or legumes or whatever you want to call them are a whole category of their own.

Yeah, depending on both the type and method used, beans can easily qualify as a vegetable, protein, or carb portion of a meal. Or mixed!

Green or lima beans on the side of your meat and potatoes? Vegetable.

Black beans mushed into a burger patty shape? Protein.

Baked beans at a BBQ? Carb.

And they can also be multiple toles, like refried beans in a burrito or on the side of a taco plate are a carby protein, or a protein-sense carb, whatever you want to call it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when people misunderstand a practical concern about a piece of media and think you didn't get the message when that's not what I'm talking about - I mentioned in a youtube comment about Encanto that (ending)Mirabel probably has her own bedroom because they build the house physically with actual rooms for each person with no expectation that the magic would come back, it just didn't affected when the magic comes back and some idiot's like "Yeah, but the point was that the Casita is her room and I'm just thinking "Oh what, bitch gotta sleep in the courtyard now? I'm speaking practically, everyone else gets their own room so it would be stupid of them not to build her one too while rebuilding the house.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tiggum posted:

Because of the component of the meal they are. Rice and pasta and bread don't count as the vegetable part of a meal, whereas beans definitely do. Potatoes are borderline. They're vegetables, but they're often grouped with the... bulk? filler? Whatever you call that pasta/rice/bread category.
Carbs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rice is corn like corn and corn.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My pet peeve is people earnestly arguing about how their own arbitrary mental categorisation of things such as beans is somehow better than someone else's.

Anyway, beans and lentils are pulses, and are not vegetables. Turns out my categorisations are actually better than everyone else's. Huh.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Everything from a plant is a vegetable.

Paper, for example, is a vegetable.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Beans are a fruit.

The musical one.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

There are only three categories of things, of which "vegetable" is one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FFT posted:

You animal!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

FFT posted:

Yeah. Vegetable, bean, other.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Some kind of pastry, I guess?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

STOP putting sideways photos on marketplace/craigslist/ebay. It hasn't taken more than a single tap to reorient a photo in like ten years. Just loving aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In addition, if you keep listing something with the same lovely photo and too high a price week after week, so obviously it isn't selling, maybe consider taking new photos and/or lowering the price?

Why yes, I do have a Craigslist alert for "Pachinko" that keeps getting triggered by the same guy reposting a lovely 1980s era machine for like $250 over and over and over. :argh:

I wish people could be cured of the tendency to price used items according to what they paid for them originally and not what they might actually be worth today.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Imagined posted:

In addition, if you keep listing something with the same lovely photo and too high a price week after week, so obviously it isn't selling, maybe consider taking new photos and/or lowering the price?

Why yes, I do have a Craigslist alert for "Pachinko" that keeps getting triggered by the same guy reposting a lovely 1980s era machine for like $250 over and over and over. :argh:

My friend actually just restored a pachinko machine he got off craigslist, we ended up in this muddy-rear end field in the middle of nowhere with all this junk in it, and a dude pulled up in a pickup truck, jumped out, took my friend's money, then gestured to something that looked like a pachinko machine burned up on re-entry, and took off.

What he got:

His restoration:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
"Sorry about the bad photos!" on listings for valuable items.

It costs nothing to make another attempt. What the gently caress.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Edit: Just remembered another fun anecdote: the inside mechanisms were home to a vibrant colony of ants, queen and eggs and all.

Edit again: AH gently caress

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Imagined posted:

I wish people could be cured of the tendency to price used items according to what they paid for them originally and not what they might actually be worth today.

1000 people can say no but all it takes is one person to say yes

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
People who begin posts with,

quote:

mods, delete if not okay

Mods don't need your permission.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When you're set to go somewhere by public transport and someone says "Oh, I'm going the same direction; I'll drive you." but then spends so loving long faffing around that you end up being later than you would be if you just caught the loving train.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Microsoft released an update to the Windows weather app that no longer shows the time in hourly

It's bad and unnecessary.

Yeah, right now my major pet peeve is when software vendors force updates on you that remove major functionality then try to spin it as “we’ve simplified it for you!”

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bargearse posted:

Yeah, right now my major pet peeve is when software vendors force updates on you that remove major functionality then try to spin it as “we’ve simplified it for you!”
HO HO gently caress I just upgraded to Windows 11 to discover that, instead of window icons in the taskbar lighting up practically blaze orange when you have a notification, they now glow in a hint of barely-there red, plus a 2x4-pixel bar under the icon turns red. This is by design, to make the notifications less distracting. :waycool:

eta:

poo poo, that's not even red under there--it's orange!

(Incidentally, if there's another desktop IM/Google Chat client that can use SA smilies, I'm all ears.)

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Feb 14, 2022

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Hirayuki posted:

HO HO gently caress I just upgraded to Windows 11 to discover that, instead of window icons in the taskbar lighting up practically blaze orange when you have a notification, they now glow in a hint of barely-there red, plus a 2x4-pixel bar under the icon turns red. This is by design, to make the notifications less distracting. :waycool:

eta:

poo poo, that's not even red under there--it's orange!

(Incidentally, if there's another desktop IM/Google Chat client that can use SA smilies, I'm all ears.)

I’m going back to Win10 because gently caress that.

Win11 at least looks visually nice but that’s the best thing I can say about it. Like how they’ve hidden most of the right-click menu behind yet another click, presumably to make it less daunting but really all it does is annoy the crap out of me when I have to press yet another button to do something that took only two clicks before.

And don’t get me started on the new start menu.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
There's always https://www.startallback.com/ or https://www.stardock.com/products/start11/

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I installed Open-Shell and fired up Ultimate Windows Tweaker the very first thing. They do help. I hope enough people bitch about the notifications that they get fixed. It's got to be an accessibility problem, if nothing else.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

using also or too and "as well" in the same sentence

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Unfortunately Microsoft have a long history of ignoring feedback and just doing whatever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

using also or too and "as well" in the same sentence

This also bothers me as well

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Beans are a protein, albeit one with a lot of carbs. Rice + beans? That's a carb and a protein.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm a bit chilly. Oh, here's a blanket, folded neatly nearby! Let me just grab that with a single hand and drape it over myself

*several moments of struggle later*

drat it this thing won't unfold

*shakes it, yanks one side, then the other*

Wtf okay I'll use both hands

*puts down phone, pulls on blanket, which is now somehow twisted*

Jesus CHRIST what the gently caress just... Forget it! Now I'm sweating!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm really glad to see all the Windows pet peeves in here. So reassuring. :)

As far as other pet peeves go, people who walk around staring directly at their cell phones, weaving in and out of foot traffic at 1 mph, who insist that they're the ones who are good at it and everyone ELSE needs to pay better attention, really REALLY need to go gently caress themselves. I saw someone ambling through a subway corridor shopping on Amazon on their phone the other day. What could possibly be so important that they could neither put their phone away & wait to shop until later nor pull over to the side & shop before they go wherever they were going? :psyduck:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Windows 11 got rid of the seconds counter when you click on the clock. How the gently caress am I supposed to end my workday now?? I might end up clocking out a minute later than normal!!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Seconds are like pennies: we're done with 'em

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thecluckmeme posted:

Windows 11 got rid of the seconds counter when you click on the clock. How the gently caress am I supposed to end my workday now?? I might end up clocking out a minute later than normal!!

Just a stare at the clock like normal people

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Then it’s gonna be a long day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

My cubicle doesn't have one :(