Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

right after i finish swearing myself in and deputizing myself im gonna kick your rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

skewetoo posted:

right after i finish swearing myself in and deputizing myself im gonna kick your rear end

sorry, you need an ex-cop to do the first deputization or it doesn't count

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

vyelkin posted:

yeah, the whole point of neoliberalism wasn't necessarily to use the state to enforce technocratic capitalism, it was about removing the ability of the state to do anything else. end of history meant end of state power, and third way leaders more than anybody else made sure that "the state can't do anything" became the defining ideology. people might acknowledge that the state had the theoretical authority to do things, but they made sure that the ideological apparatus surrounding the state constantly reaffirmed that it shouldn't, both because it was theoretically wrong and because it was inefficient. everything is more effective when someone other than the state does it, so why would you ever want the state to do anything even if you acknowledge that it can?

what state capacity did remain was, as dreylad says, used to funnel state money to private individuals. sometimes this was in the form of pure graft, but more often it was rooted in the privatization of the state. neoliberal ideology says capitalism is the only system that works and efficiency is more important than efficacy. capitalism is driven by the profit motive which drives people to efficiency, and neoliberalism says the problem with the state is it doesn't have a profit motive so it can never be efficient, even if it is effective - the state might get the thing done that you want, but it will waste resources doing it, so there will always be a theoretical private initiative that could reach the same result for less expenditure. and so the privatization of the state took place, both because of graft but also because of an ideological belief that only privatization could lead to efficiency. and this didn't only apply to things neoliberals dislike about the state, but about everything--private police, private prisons, private soldiers. why spend money creating an effective police force, prison, or military when you could contract it out, get the same result for less expenditure, and get the chance to give a big contract to your friend from university while you're at it? the state still exists but it primarily exists as a clearinghouse for taxpayer money to go to private contractors who provide state functions. the principal thing that changes when government changes hands is not the basic ideology of how the state should operate, but rather which group of well-connected donors get the big taxpayer-funded contracts

of course, it should go without saying that this system only works when the good times are rolling. as soon as it faces a systemic crisis that can't be solved in the course of a single fiscal quarter using a public-private contract, it collapses because the state no longer has the capacity to do effective long-term planning and the private contractors either aren't interested in it or aren't capable of doing it either. neoliberalism teaches that there is nothing outside the market, and so it cannot conceive of problems that are legitimate market failures. it either stalls on those problems, acknowledging that they exist but remaining unable to solve them, or its ratcheting mechanism reassures the neoliberal mind that the solution is more of the market, because these market mechanisms cannot fail, because there is no ideological alternative to them. the pandemic or climate change are problems that exist outside the market and that cannot be solved by the market, because in both cases the short-term profit incentives cause drastic long-term consequences far out of proportion to the short-term choices that caused them

this is why we keep doubling down on bad responses to both these systemic problems, because our political class is entirely wedded to the neoliberal view of the world as one big market where private enterprise is the driving force of history and where the only efficient thing for the state to do is to get out of the way, but these problems are ones that are made worse by the market, not better, and therefore cannot be solved through this model. sometimes a far-sighted individual might break the trend and try to do what's healthy in the long-run, but the short-term incentives to stab that person in the back and go back to opening the economy or burning coal are just too great, and because nothing exists outside the market our leaders simply cannot conceive of a long-term solution that might overcome the short-term perversions of the profit motive.

That was fantastic, thank you.

I know this is a weird question, but how did we - C-SPAM posters I guess - not adopt that worldview? I mean, like you said it’s culturally hegemonic, it’s certainly all I’ve seen in my lifetime, we’re surrounded by people who actively believe and support it or passively believe it’s the only possibility, “just how things are”, and so on, it’s constantly socially reinforced.

I’m definitely not smart enough that I saw through the veil, I mean, you’ve seen me post. I’m married to CATO, my old man is a LtCol, my brother is a “Canadian Scholar” and sits on all these panels and committees, Public-Private Partnership things as a Millennial-That-Made. I know when I lived at home I read the Globe and Mail, Economist, Foreign Policy and Foreign Affairs, but I don’t remember thinking anything of it, they were “just what people read”, you know?

I realize many of you likely did the readings, or were organizing or were born and came up in groups that the system more nakedly didn’t work for, but I’m curious how this works. Christman said most people’s political views are just what’s socially reinforced, everything reinforces neoliberalism, how did we end up outside the consensus?

There’s no reason I can see that I shouldn’t hear “efficient market solutions” and say “yeah, okay, that sounds great!”, I mean, that’s what should make sense to me, right? Not now, obviously, because I have done and read all of these things since I suppose, but at some point I should have fit comfortably within the consensus, and I’m wondering how that broke down. I don’t remember if I believed any of that stuff, but I also don’t remember not believing in it, where now there’s no much doubt about where I stand.

I hope that wasn’t too personal or introspective, but I’m wondering why and how these beliefs stopped working for “us”, and how that might be transferable? I’m also wondering if any of you experienced this more clearly because I’m just scratching my head at how all of the social reinforcement would be pushing me towards there.

Maybe I’m looking for an answer within the self but really this is just a consequence of the Neoliberal order breaking down and a certain percentage of people with X class background, Y education, who have been trained to think in a certain way through Z institutions begin to have dissonance with it? In which case, would we expect more people who went to Queens or Bishops or RMC or whatever to slowly fall out of step?

Again, sorry, I know it’s a weird question.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

infernal machines posted:

sorry, you need an ex-cop to do the first deputization or it doesn't count

any knight can make a knight

cops work the same way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a forum full of socially maladjusted weirdos tend to go against the pervasive social order? odd, that.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Frosted Flake posted:

I know this is a weird question, but how did we - C-SPAM posters I guess - not adopt that worldview? I mean, like you said it’s culturally hegemonic, it’s certainly all I’ve seen in my lifetime, we’re surrounded by people who actively believe and support it or passively believe it’s the only possibility, “just how things are”, and so on, it’s constantly socially reinforced.

I think being abused by my parents was an early wake-up call that authority figures are not to be trusted and do not have my best interests at heart. doubly so when you realize it's the brutal and hosed up society we've created that likely led to my being abused in the first place.

once that thought is in place, everything else seems to follow quite naturally.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i'm swearing myself in as a peace officer of this thread, it's legit and you all can't stop me

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

if there isn't a tazer-balls level self-own by a chud by the end of this mess, I'll be very disappointed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m definitely not smart enough that I saw through the veil, I mean, you’ve seen me post. I’m married to CATO, my old man is a LtCol, my brother is a “Canadian Scholar” and sits on all these panels and committees, Public-Private Partnership things as a Millennial-That-Made. I know when I lived at home I read the Globe and Mail, Economist, Foreign Policy and Foreign Affairs, but I don’t remember thinking anything of it, they were “just what people read”, you know?

I realize many of you likely did the readings, or were organizing or were born and came up in groups that the system more nakedly didn’t work for, but I’m curious how this works. Christman said most people’s political views are just what’s socially reinforced, everything reinforces neoliberalism, how did we end up outside the consensus?

There’s no reason I can see that I shouldn’t hear “efficient market solutions” and say “yeah, okay, that sounds great!”, I mean, that’s what should make sense to me, right? Not now, obviously, because I have done and read all of these things since I suppose, but at some point I should have fit comfortably within the consensus, and I’m wondering how that broke down. I don’t remember if I believed any of that stuff, but I also don’t remember not believing in it, where now there’s no much doubt about where I stand.

I hope that wasn’t too personal or introspective, but I’m wondering why and how these beliefs stopped working for “us”, and how that might be transferable? I’m also wondering if any of you experienced this more clearly because I’m just scratching my head at how all of the social reinforcement would be pushing me towards there.

Maybe I’m looking for an answer within the self but really this is just a consequence of the Neoliberal order breaking down and a certain percentage of people with X class background, Y education, who have been trained to think in a certain way through Z institutions begin to have dissonance with it? In which case, would we expect more people who went to Queens or Bishops or RMC or whatever to slowly fall out of step?

Again, sorry, I know it’s a weird question.

In addition to this being a forum of self-selected internet leftists, I think there was a big shift among younger generations that have come of age during and after the financial crisis. We transparently saw that capitalism, left to its own devices, broke and couldn't fix itself, and was then propped up by the state because the state was committed to maintaining the system that had just broken the world economy. I've read this as anecdotal evidence from others, and I certainly notice it in myself as well, that living through and graduating into the financial crisis and seeing how it affected me, my family and friends, and my entire generation, was certainly what started pushing me left.

Then add onto that that younger generations are often terrified of climate change, and you can see how people currently in their 30s grew up in the eternal optimism of the 90s only to graduate into capitalism's worst crisis in a century so they never got any of the promised benefits that previous generations enjoyed, and then spent a decade watching as the market repeatedly failed to either fix the problems affecting their material conditions or to make any indication that it could ever solve the massive elephant in the room that will affect their material conditions even more in the future, and you can see how an increasing number of people came to think that maybe capitalism is actually the problem, not the solution.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Karach posted:

I think being abused by my parents was an early wake-up call that authority figures are not to be trusted and do not have my best interests at heart. doubly so when you realize it's the brutal and hosed up society we've created that likely led to my being abused in the first place.

once that thought is in place, everything else seems to follow quite naturally.

although i didn't know it at the time, it was a direct consequence of chretien's downloading of social services, and harris' cuts to the same, that i wound up homeless in my teens. knowing the importance of the social safety net makes it a lot easier to dismiss an ideology that's all in on the inability of the state to do good for the average person.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

How organizers with police and military expertise may be helping Ottawa convoy protest dig in

whoa I wonder where that police expertise is coming from

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Oct 29, 2022

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

One thing I don't understand is how obnoxious truckers laying onto horns for days jn a city center aren't immediately and constantly bombarded by eggs and trash.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

vyelkin posted:

Then add onto that that younger generations are often terrified of climate change, and you can see how people currently in their 30s grew up in the eternal optimism of the 90s only to graduate into capitalism's worst crisis in a century so they never got any of the promised benefits that previous generations enjoyed, and then spent a decade watching as the market repeatedly failed to either fix the problems affecting their material conditions or to make any indication that it could ever solve the massive elephant in the room that will affect their material conditions even more in the future, and you can see how an increasing number of people came to think that maybe capitalism is actually the problem, not the solution.
[looking back at the 90s optimism in which one was reared, but with an adult's knowledge of what was actually happening, as well as what was soon to come in the near future]

"Oh... lol. lmao."

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

had my life and career wrecked in 2008

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I grew up relatively poor while surrounded by comfortable middle class people and watched way too much Star Trek so when I hit my mid-20s I was like oh

Oh gently caress

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Tighclops posted:

I grew up relatively poor while surrounded by comfortable middle class people and watched way too much Star Trek so when I hit my mid-20s I was like oh

Oh gently caress

Two more years!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/lisaporter2/status/1491644242929795074?s=21

lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DirtyRobot posted:

[looking back at the 90s optimism in which one was reared, but with an adult's knowledge of what was actually happening, as well as what was soon to come in the near future]

"Oh... lol. lmao."

lol nice

imo this is like a perfect encapsulation of the point I made in the long post: something that the state used to do as a public service gradually drops as neoliberalism takes hold, then vanishes immediately when the third way guys get into office, and ever since the accepted orthodoxy is that housing is a market and therefore the state has no place in it at all - and, as a result, we're in a deep systemic crisis. it's like my larger theoretical point in a nutshell

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
they should fine each of those kids ten thousand dollars

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Futanari Damacy posted:

https://twitter.com/AmitAryaMD/status/1491438045400567812

To me a hosed up thing right now is for whoever stands up to the protests like those old ladies blocking the trucks the media has nothing better to offer than to basically say "hey truckers, here's your chief antagonist, their full name, where they work, where they live and what they look like!" :dumb: Some loving Manchurian Candidate in the protestor ranks is going to kill one of these people.

Poor CTV taking the decals off their vehicles, as if the higher-ups aren't loving this poo poo. Most of the country is against the protests but bigging it up drives views and clicks while cementing their own irrelevancy.

too Zexi for the honks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Vox Nihili posted:

One thing I don't understand is how obnoxious truckers laying onto horns for days jn a city center aren't immediately and constantly bombarded by eggs and trash.

nobody lives on the street where most of them were parked

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

the people who tried that in Vancouver got arrested

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/ctvwinnipeg/status/1491841899736481793?s=21

insanity

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

vyelkin posted:

In addition to this being a forum of self-selected internet leftists, I think there was a big shift among younger generations that have come of age during and after the financial crisis. We transparently saw that capitalism, left to its own devices, broke and couldn't fix itself, and was then propped up by the state because the state was committed to maintaining the system that had just broken the world economy. I've read this as anecdotal evidence from others, and I certainly notice it in myself as well, that living through and graduating into the financial crisis and seeing how it affected me, my family and friends, and my entire generation, was certainly what started pushing me left.

And this is surely at least a large part of why a lot of the places which are, alternatively, very chud are very chud - f.e I moved to northeastern BC for work last year and it's...aggressively Normal, seen from the perspective of the sort of very Normal 50 year olds that I work around. You know, the kids can actually buy a house, and they can by and large actually find work that will hand them a reasonably gigantic stack of cash, or if not then certainly enough to not have to worry about anything overly much and everyone can get a big stupid bank loan for his'n'hers hog trucks and spend $25,000 a year on junior hockey for Brayden and Jayden and Kayden and and and etc.

And, has there been a period of time in the last few decades for the sort of, resource-rural West when that wasn't true? It's harder for me to say, being from foreignshire, but it doesn't really seem like it. Sure, the resource industries bust from time to time, but you go up north, when gas is going, or you go out east when oil's going, or you go out west when it's pipelines or mining or whatever, but it's ingrained that you have to go work out of town, or out in the bush, or whatever, but that that's just the way things are and in the end you come back home and everything's Normal and has been forever and forever will be. And, I mean, it's very seductive - here's normality, no real strings attached - you can be normal too, just like us. I could go out and buy a little house in Dawson Creek tomorrow and quit my envirojob and go work at the supermarket or a hotel for the rest of my days and it'd be fine, and I'm a loving idiot who moved to Canada five years ago with zero real qualifications or work experience or money or really any redeeming qualities at all except bureaucratic weaseling skills and the ability to grit my teeth and be nice to people I don't like.

All you have to do is close your eyes and pretend you don't notice next door's a Nazi, close your windows so the smoke doesn't choke you and say nothing controversial that your boss'd ever hear about. Easy. I don't emphasize with the attitude at all but I can't say I don't understand why they have it - why wouldn't you? Life's pretty peachy, then the libs are off in the big city making up problems but everything here's normal, so it must be something about them, because if it were something about us then things here wouldn't be normal, and they are. For now. Don't worry about it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I just borrowed "No Logo" from my highschool library. But I think I didn't give up on electoral politics until the results of the 2015 election turned out to be so meaningless and disappointing.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

At least this sort of thing is coming home to roost in the chuds back yards not just in downtown Winnipeg.

Maybe there'll be riots in Winkler by the end of next week.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

it's really not hard for OPS to get a list of building residents from a landlord and then arrest whoever they pick from the front-facing units. most Ottawans can't resist clearly signifying their political affiliations and anybody inclined to egg a trucker is perfectly aware that the OPS will put more effort into finding them than they've put into the convoy since January

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

top trending in canadian twitter right now lmao

https://twitter.com/APFactCheck/status/1491404841364733956

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

yellowcar posted:

top trending in canadian twitter right now lmao

https://twitter.com/APFactCheck/status/1491404841364733956

Fake. News. Castro is his Dad. I will believe nothing else!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why would it matter if he was?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Oct 29, 2022

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

why would it matter if he was?

It doesn't. I just find it funny so I hold onto that faith.

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

Saalkin posted:

Fake. News. Castro is his Dad. I will believe nothing else!

Not only is it indisputably, 100% true that Justin "Trudeau" is the bastard child of Fidel Castro, but it's actually perfectly ok for him to be that and he should start living up to the goddamn family legacy already.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Saalkin posted:

It doesn't. I just find it funny so I hold onto that faith.

oh for sure, but i meant to the truck klan. are they going for some sins of the father poo poo? was PET not enough of a villain for them?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

oh for sure, but i meant to the truck klan. are they going for some sins of the father poo poo? was PET not enough of a villain for them?

it would mean hes foreign, and latino. because they are white nationalists. this is shameful to them. it would also be shameful for the dead trudeau. they are spiteful mean small people

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

They want him to be a cuck so bad.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Dreylad posted:

the neoliberal order wasn't about offering new solutions to the state, it was about maintaining the bare minimum of governance to keep the good times rolling so that public-private partnerships could flourish so that money could flow from the state to private companies, which would in turn enrich citizens who are now consumers whose rights are respected so long as they're taxpayers. It's a complete mess as soon as something that requires putting the brakes on the good times pops up, especially something as uncontrollable as a disease or, say, climate change.

at the same time, if you look at historical examples of plagues it's hard to say that this pandemic has actually been a failure. the spanish flu persisted in some form for 50 years. polio had a decade long vaccine rollout with some early disasters of children contracting polio and dying from their vaccination.

it only seems like a failure because we have unprecedented access to modern medical science, technology, and data and we, as neoliberal subjects, all expect that to quickly and efficiently solve all our problems as has been promised. as it turns out pandemics are a problem of politics and civics (or sociology, or whatever term you like) not just curing the thing and expecting everyone to accept that cure. We no longer have real politics where clear class and regional interests struggle over the distribution of resources in our society. instead we have cultural battles that serve as moral showdowns and sideshows of Content that keep us attached to our screens.

p good content tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010