Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I've noticed that plastics all look alike. Take some clear packing tape and twist it in the sunlight. Slowly spin a plastic container until the cold room lighting splits into colors. The same sickly rainbow pops out of all of them, dominated by violet and greenish yellow. Oil slicks everywhere I look. I feel as if I need to stare at a piece of glass afterward to remember color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i mean plastics are gross and destroying the biosphere sure but the attempts at getting poetic about it are weird. plenty of plastics are crystal clear and don't show off some sort of "sickening" rainbow lol

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

funny that stewardship of the planet and care for other people is written down as pretty important in the judeo-christian tradition

and it's not by faith alone but by works but instead they work on hastening their biblical apocalypse so they can be sure before they die that they were right and here's jesus on a flying horse just like they said

ish. imo a nontrivial number of followers read it as masters of the environment to do with as they see fit, and not stewards responsible for maintenance

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
All of this talk about Methane and the beginning stages of thinking about possibly, worst case, maybe saying goodbye to 1.5c in the mainstream conversation means they are around 10-15 years behind us.

I'm curious how far things would need to accelerate to close that gap.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

mediaphage posted:

i mean plastics are gross and destroying the biosphere sure but the attempts at getting poetic about it are weird. plenty of plastics are crystal clear and don't show off some sort of "sickening" rainbow lol

We all love plastic
It is always crystal clear
Very good for us

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

All of this talk about Methane and the beginning stages of thinking about possibly, worst case, maybe saying goodbye to 1.5c in the mainstream conversation means they are around 10-15 years behind us.

I'm curious how far things would need to accelerate to close that gap.

not sure, things might not need to accelerate at all; even at the current rates any number of hideous things can happen to major us cities in the next five years

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

We all love plastic
It is always crystal clear
Very good for us

an apocalypse:
'tis but one thing can capture't -
the noble haiku

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

have you heard that the
largest carbon capture plant
opened in iceland

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

500 good dogs posted:

ain't that the loving truth

What is this a quote of? I feel like I need the catharsis of the whole thing as I, as many of you, have and are and will continue to be forced to live in this dumb as gently caress truth.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Raine posted:

have you heard that the
largest carbon capture plant
opened in iceland

Humans? Great compost!
They destroyed their homes, singing:
"Praise, number go up!"

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

What is this a quote of? I feel like I need the catharsis of the whole thing as I, as many of you, have and are and will continue to be forced to live in this dumb as gently caress truth.

https://massextinction.events/

I'm going through the menu in the order things are listed, gotta say: I love splif/em's writing, a lot, really cathartic indeed.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

there's a great future
or at least there was. one word:
microplastics. lol

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
lol lmao lol haha
the climate machine is broke
let's build back better

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

skooma512 posted:

"Midwinter Spring is it's own season"

lousy smarch weather

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

title: how to stop climate change.

lol, lmao, lmao.
lmao, lmao, lol, lmao.
lol, lol, lol: lmao.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 6 days!)

sorry, the poison plastic rainbow is a thing now

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
asphyxiating
inside a humid cocoon
transforming to farts

Notorious R.I.M. has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Feb 10, 2022

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

that's right. now if you'll excuse me i have more oil slicks to admire.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

asphyxiating
inside a humid cocoon
transforming to farts

:golfclap:

quote:

The wise among us would all rather enjoy murdering a biosphere than have anything as gauche as a revolution, after all.

:drat:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

How you fuckers pronouncing lmao anyway?

Le Mao

Elmo?

I say the letters

Like a man

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i always pull my mask down when i say it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

Le Mao

Elmo?

I say the letters

Like a man

l’mao

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Tempora Mutantur posted:

https://massextinction.events/

I'm going through the menu in the order things are listed, gotta say: I love splif/em's writing, a lot, really cathartic indeed.

Wow. Two articles in, and wow, what a ride.

Thank you for this. I can't tell you how glad I am to have it.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egg Moron posted:

Le Mao

Elmo?

I say the letters

Like a man

I also say the letters

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

we’re full of plastic, it’s fantastic

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Fly Molo posted:

we’re full of plastic, it’s fantastic

becoming a barbie girl one microparticle at a time

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

LeMayo

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1491797819597856774

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Egg Moron posted:

Le Mao

correct

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6pm8BYoyT8

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Finally crack-pinged all the way? Achieved extinction-event consciousness? Can feel it in your bones? Capable of admitting to yourself that the commies were right all along? Able to throw back your head and laugh in the face of the-riddle-of-history solved?

Come chill with other doomheads! Head on over to C-Spam at the Something Awful forums – one of the only places left on the internet where people actually think. And laugh. So many lafs!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That's not what *my* elevator pitch looks like, but uhh, thanks for getting the word out. :sweatdrop:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Are you watching? Have you been here? Is this the room that you remember? Where we laughed and gassed and flirted? Where we've been for all these years? poo poo. Motherfucker. Your children are already getting old. Your skin as thick as clay mud. Let's go. Let's have a chicken sandwich. Eat while you can, is what I'm saying. Chew the rubble. Suck the fat. Is that your Timmy on the floor beside you? His small eyes wide and full of curse? He's going to die. Your little Timmy. He's going to perish of something dumb. The Book says all first babies busted. You will watch your young boy die. Feed him antiseptic, vitamins and chicken soup. Kiss him on the face. By month's end he will be zero. His ghoul will clog your pretty home. Evenings of screech, of squawk, and rattle. Prepare yourselves. Turn the TV loud. Hide the windows. Clench the gun. Every home will fill thick with the souls of those it once covered over. The walls will move in smaller. The ceilings will come down. You've had all these years to pay attention. You've had time for spinach salads and Sunday football and summer beer. You've prayed for air conditioning. You've fixed your eyes to the small screen. Bastard. Bitch poo poo dicksucker. God is tired. Think of all the doors you've never opened. Of the photographs you've allowed to filch your image. Think of nothing. Think of poo poo. I can see you from here, you know. I am the Alpha and Omega. I am the Fonz. I've been inside your bed. Think of drought, then think of water. Years absorbing. Endless rain. Walls fattened, roof beams buckled. Your brother underground grown rot with wet. And after the rain, the infestation. The moth eggs in your ear holes. The growth of hair. You won't see that. You won't listen. There is something in your eyes.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Just need to backfill and the posting slash bean storage bunker will be complete.

E: The crazy old dude died awhile back, his kids didn't seem all that excited to deal with the bus bunker. It might still be there.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lmao it owns

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Finally crack-pinged all the way? Achieved extinction-event consciousness? Can feel it in your bones? Capable of admitting to yourself that the commies were right all along? Able to throw back your head and laugh in the face of the-riddle-of-history solved?

Come chill with other doomheads! Head on over to C-Spam at the Something Awful forums – one of the only places left on the internet where people actually think. And laugh. So many lafs!

a good start, gotta mention the Epstein thread too

we’re on the rollercoaster ride to extinction and the people in charge are all pedophiles

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
get a pitch in there for posadism and the uap thread

thread consensus there is pivoting to "aliens are gathering here to watch us kill ourselves and our planet", which is honestly more plausible than any earthly plans to deal with this, so i'm on board

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Egg Moron posted:

Le Mao

Elmo?

I say the letters

Like a man
El Mao

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

Are you watching? Have you been here? Is this the room that you remember? Where we laughed and gassed and flirted? Where we've been for all these years? poo poo. Motherfucker. Your children are already getting old. Your skin as thick as clay mud. Let's go. Let's have a chicken sandwich. Eat while you can, is what I'm saying. Chew the rubble. Suck the fat. Is that your Timmy on the floor beside you? His small eyes wide and full of curse? He's going to die. Your little Timmy. He's going to perish of something dumb. The Book says all first babies busted. You will watch your young boy die. Feed him antiseptic, vitamins and chicken soup. Kiss him on the face. By month's end he will be zero. His ghoul will clog your pretty home. Evenings of screech, of squawk, and rattle. Prepare yourselves. Turn the TV loud. Hide the windows. Clench the gun. Every home will fill thick with the souls of those it once covered over. The walls will move in smaller. The ceilings will come down. You've had all these years to pay attention. You've had time for spinach salads and Sunday football and summer beer. You've prayed for air conditioning. You've fixed your eyes to the small screen. Bastard. Bitch poo poo dicksucker. God is tired. Think of all the doors you've never opened. Of the photographs you've allowed to filch your image. Think of nothing. Think of poo poo. I can see you from here, you know. I am the Alpha and Omega. I am the Fonz. I've been inside your bed. Think of drought, then think of water. Years absorbing. Endless rain. Walls fattened, roof beams buckled. Your brother underground grown rot with wet. And after the rain, the infestation. The moth eggs in your ear holes. The growth of hair. You won't see that. You won't listen. There is something in your eyes.

is this Blake Butler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Do not give up hope
Politicians pay themselves
That might do something