Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Adding on to the 'Bob being motivated to save the Tat-ween people'... his first move is to go in and demand protection money from everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hazo posted:

Yeah I think a big gap was how we never see HOW the spice trade is hurting regular people.

What regular people :confused:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hazo posted:

Yeah I think a big gap was how we never see HOW the spice trade is hurting regular people. Boba just insists it is. Show don't tell.

"I just can't understand how the heroin trade is having an impact on this city without seeing the addicts."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Quick: what does spice actually do to its users? No clue? Exactly! It's more like

"I just can't understand how the heroin trade is having an impact on this city without knowing literally anything about heroin other than the name and the fact that it's a drug."

You can't know the social impact of something without knowing what that thing is.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I think my biggest issue with this show is the Grogu subplot. Having him just decide to leave Luke right after he got with him makes me feel like the arc of Mando Season 2 was all for naught. Like, we get this big build up, a huge emotional goodbye, and what seemed to be a shift for the future of Din and his story...then in the spinoff show we have Grogu go right back to Din so the status quo of Mando doesn't have to change for Season 3. Feels very lazy and a bit of a cop-out to me. I didn't think Grogu would stay with Luke forever, but it f like he got through the first month of school and dipped because the teacher was a bit of a douche.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It makes you crazy thirsty. Spice made people drink all the oceans on Tattooine. Now they obsessively gather water and drink it, sell it to each other for more spice, it's sad

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hazo posted:

Yeah I think a big gap was how we never see HOW the spice trade is hurting regular people. Boba just insists it is. Show don't tell.

I guess it wasn't great for the random Tuskens who refused to stop interacting with the train, but it's clear as day in Star Wars that Tuskens and non-Tuskens are worlds apart culturally. Everybody seemed to be doing pretty okay except for the couple of people being ripped off by the random water vendor.

I'd argue that the only time we see "regular folks" getting harassed is Camie and Fixer by the KS gang.

Freetown was pretty miserable. But I forgot whether that was tied into the spice trade because this show was a muddled mess that I still somehow enjoyed despite myself.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I think my biggest issue with this show is the Grogu subplot. Having him just decide to leave Luke right after he got with him makes me feel like the arc of Mando Season 2 was all for naught. Like, we get this big build up, a huge emotional goodbye, and what seemed to be a shift for the future of Din and his story...then in the spinoff show we have Grogu go right back to Din so the status quo of Mando doesn't have to change for Season 3. Feels very lazy and a bit of a cop-out to me. I didn't think Grogu would stay with Luke forever, but it f like he got through the first month of school and dipped because the teacher was a bit of a douche.

For the people who think this development is somehow a pulled punch or not true to the show, I am curious how you would write a season of Lone Wolf, No Cub.

I feel like after about three episodes of "Yeah I am still doing missions and cool Mando poo poo, but damnit I MISS the little guy" we'd start to feel the same wheel spinning we did for 4 episodes of this dire Boba Fett stuff.

I guess if I were going to take a crack at it I might try to expand the covert stuff a little, have more than a laughable two survivors down there, but how much can you get out of masked figures gesturing to lines dubbed in ADR?

Grogu's return to Din feels less like a "status quo" thing because both characters discovered something: their bond was more important than Din's quest was to Din and Grogu's "Jedi destiny" was to Grogu. They rejected that call to return to each other. Where they go with could be interesting or boring, but I'd argue that Din getting him to Skywalker wasn't a wasted development as it stands.

E: Comedy option is just every season is a new cute baby [whatever] in his charge. Baby Greedo, Baby Ackbar, Baby Acklay....

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 10, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I already said before that the last trio of episodes feels like the three part opener for Mando season 3.

I did find it amusing how Fett's efforts to become a crime lord ended up with him killing every single criminal on the planet, present company excepted.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

Quick: what does spice actually do to its users? No clue? Exactly! It's more like

"I just can't understand how the heroin trade is having an impact on this city without knowing literally anything about heroin other than the name and the fact that it's a drug."

You can't know the social impact of something without knowing what that thing is.

*a character says the drug trade is harmful to the city*

"HOW DO WE EVEN KNOW THE DRUGS ARE DOING ANYTHING I'VE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF A DRUG"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Spice is just space weed until proven otherwise. It has no harmful long-term effects and is non-addictive :colbert:

Owlbear Camus posted:

For the people who think this development is somehow a pulled punch or not true to the show, I am curious how you would write a season of Lone Wolf, No Cub.

You just continue the arc. The reason that he was so attached to Grogu is because he saw a vulnerable orphan with nobody to watch over him and drew a parallel to his own childhood. So have him consider how he can channel that energy into something bigger and more constructive.

Have him, I don't know, go to the spice mines of Kessel and free a bunch of enslaved orphans and start a school or whatever. Hell, if you want to tie it into his heritage, extend that out and have him foster minor slave rebellions across the galaxy and bring the freed peoples back to Mandalore as refugees and create a force for good on that planet. Have him look forward rather than backward like every other Mandalorian in the show (and every writer on the shows).

It's a mediocre idea off the top of my head, but it's better than just doing the same thing over again.

The biggest problem is that the obvious way forward was poached by BOBF and done poorly. Mando has learned that he shouldn't be a lone wolf and that he's stronger with the help of others. So the logical next step would be to have him band together with a bunch of other outcasts and rejects and damaged former lone wolves and build a new family, build a community. But, well, that's presumably what BOBF was trying for and failed at.

That's partially why Boba was so inert as a character—the newer shinier knockoff has more or less the same personality and flaws as he does. Instead of doubling-down on their differences, it just chose to highlight their similarities.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 10, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

*a character says the drug trade is harmful to the city*

"HOW DO WE EVEN KNOW THE DRUGS ARE DOING ANYTHING I'VE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF A DRUG"

To be fair whether it's intended or not the character in question is not written as a reliable narrator at all. Which I'd say is a problem for the protagonist of a space adventure show for children.

Boba's decision to go selectively straight is under-motivated, ill-defined, and he often acts like he's suffering from moderate dementia, including forgetting where the Pykes were headquartered in spite of having visited personally.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
If we are discussing alternate storylines, it would be cool if the tusken tribe didn't get fridged, but instead, because of the Pyke offensive, moved into Jabba's palace with Boba, and it became a bastion and outpost for the other wandering tusken tribes(where they can stop for trading/rest before they keep migrating), sort of their capital, and also allowed them to trade and communicate better with Mos Eisley citizens. You'd still have friction with the Mos Eisely mayor and local gangs, but it would give Boba some reason to be there, and would make more sense, than him trying to be a kinder criminal lord.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AgentHaiTo posted:

If we are discussing alternate storylines, it would be cool if the tusken tribe didn't get fridged, but instead, because of the Pyke offensive, moved into Jabba's palace with Boba, and it became a bastion and outpost for the other wandering tusken tribes(where they can stop for trading/rest before they keep migrating), sort of their capital, and also allowed them to trade and communicate better with Mos Eisley citizens. You'd still have friction with the Mos Eisely mayor and local gangs, but it would give Boba some reason to be there, and would make more sense, than him trying to be a kinder criminal lord.

Boba Fett as a Kinder Crime Lord acting as a public heat shield to maintain an uneasy peace between a bunch of disparate groups who all hate eachother but all love him would have been a MUCH better way to end the season/show(?).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Seems obvious to me that the show ran into a bunch of production issues, whether it be COVID or something else, and they pulled the Mando ripcord in order to film a bunch of really simple scenes that they knew people would love. Like consider what actually happened in the Mando episodes - there are basically zero extras outside of the ring world scene, they are focused on a few locations, and all revolve around two/three characters with a heavy reliance on CGI and masked characters. Like they just needed to get Rosario and Amy Sedaris for a day and that’s that, the rest can be done with stunt guys and the FX crew.

I still liked the show overall but it’s unfortunate that everything went down the way it did, and they kinda did Temuera dirty by making someone else take center stage.

Also don’t introduce Cad Bane at the end and then immediately kill him off, what are you doing.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Hakkesshu posted:

Seems obvious to me that the show ran into a bunch of production issues, whether it be COVID or something else, and they pulled the Mando ripcord in order to film a bunch of really simple scenes that they knew people would love. Like consider what actually happened in the Mando episodes - there are basically zero extras outside of the ring world scene, they are focused on a few locations, and all revolve around two/three characters with a heavy reliance on CGI and masked characters. Like they just needed to get Rosario and Amy Sedaris for a day and that’s that, the rest can be done with stunt guys and the FX crew.

I still liked the show overall but it’s unfortunate that everything went down the way it did, and they kinda did Temuera dirty by making someone else take center stage.

Also don’t introduce Cad Bane at the end and then immediately kill him off, what are you doing.

Yeah, I loved Cad Bane. I'm still hoping he somehow survives. They just need to put in a mod heart like Fennec has a mod stomach or maybe his race has two hearts :)

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also I may be reaching but it is called the Book of Boba Fett but this just felt like two chapters of his life. We didn’t see anything of him as a kid trying to live like a kid on Kamino with the other clone kids who quickly outgrow him or how he dealt with his dad dying like I said in an earlier post. I thought it’d be more about his whole life. We got to see a few flashbacks of his dad leaving him and post pit then crime boss stuff.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Boba Fett doesn't hate spice? He was perfectly willing to let the Pykes run it through Tusken territory if they would pay tribute. He wants to shut down the spice trade because the Pykes rely on it and the Pykes are trying to gently caress him. Cobb Vanth is the one that has an issue with spice itself.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Boba Fett doesn't hate spice? He was perfectly willing to let the Pykes run it through Tusken territory if they would pay tribute. He wants to shut down the spice trade because the Pykes rely on it and the Pykes are trying to gently caress him. Cobb Vanth is the one that has an issue with spice itself.

yeah he had the easy choice of "my enemies are doing a thing my ally hates"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

AgentHaiTo posted:

Yeah, I loved Cad Bane. I'm still hoping he somehow survives. They just need to put in a mod heart like Fennec has a mod stomach or maybe his race has two hearts :)

The ticking in his last scene is a hint.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

As it seems we're sharing how we wish the show had gone here's my thoughts:

- Boba should have been in the sarlaac for a long time (weeks even) , tortured and in agony but sustained by his suit, during this time we get more back story about his life as a bounty hunter through flashbacks. He slowly realises his life as a bounty hunter has brought nothing but misery to others.

- Tusken thing largely goes how it goes on the show though Boba is a lot more reclusive from the go, he wants to get his suit back and get revenge on Jabba, Luke etc and it takes a lot to get him to open up at all. This is a guy who has lived for himself since he was a child. But he eventually softens and the tribe becomes his family. He decides he's done with the life of a bounty hunter.

- Pykes wipe out the tribe while Boba is away as revenge for Boba taking the train, there's no framing of the bikers as they don't know he's part of the tribe.

- Boba swears revenge, he gets his armor and takes Jabbas throne with the sole intention to use his acquired resources for his vengeance.

- initially he's an rear end in a top hat to the people because he's solely focused on killing all the Pykes but over time he begins to see their plight and realises that he can help people for once. So you don't have him being this nice kind criminal from the get go. It's an actual character arc.

- Civilians on his side are great but call in the classics, he's rich now so let's see him hire Dengar, or Bossk, all the cool bounty hunting friends. Mother loving Dash Rendar I don't care do it.

- more conflict with Fennec: she clearly is the more ruthless of the two and her betraying him because she felt he was much too weak, especially since he gave up a ton of money with the killing of the spice trade would have been pretty cool. Hell have Boba not want to give it up and its Cobb that convinces him because he actually has a legit hatred of the stuff and that leads to beef between Cobb and Fennec.

- While they were great episodes gently caress having 2 mando eps in your Boba show. Hell, that ring world planet was great, why not use it to as a flashback episode for a job Boba did 10 years ago or something? Perhaps one he regrets/ haunts him. Learning something more about this character in flashbacks other than Kamino and Tuskens would be nice.
----------------

But it's done now so whatever. To be interesting season 2 really needs to get off tatooine and I'd like to see them explore Boba's past. This includes him reflecting on old jobs and meeting up with old rivals (give.me.Dengar!), his relations to other clones/ how we sees himself as a clone and how this shapes his identity and dealing with his Dad's death by possibly having him visit geonosis for some closure or discovering more about Jango, if you really want to go there get Samuel L Jackson back for a good old "you killed my father" scene.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 10, 2022

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Also they really messed up by not having Danny Trejo run up the the Rancor crying about what they did to his baby.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's nothing in the show that indicates that spice is actually a drug. It may be just actual loving spice. Like you use for food. In my head it makes the show better if its spice for food.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Spice ruins people's lives, Fennec! They should instead be eating my aunt karens raisin casserole, without spice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They just really like bland food.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It angries up the blood!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Owlbear Camus posted:

Spice ruins people's lives, Fennec! They should instead be eating my aunt karens raisin casserole, without spice.

Take the black melon.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hollismason posted:

There's nothing in the show that indicates that spice is actually a drug. It may be just actual loving spice. Like you use for food. In my head it makes the show better if its spice for food.

If crime syndicates were murdering people in the street to sell paprika, I'm pretty sure that people would be trying to shut it down too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What about the scene after they knock over the train? He tells that one guy that he'll be fine if they're not carrying spice, they find spice, and Fett says, "It's not looking good for you." Maybe he was just loving with him, but the implication seemed pretty clear that Fett doesn't want spice being moved through at least Tusken territory. Coupled with the Cobb Vanth scene, and the show is telling us, "Our good guys say 'spice is bad'".

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

thrawn527 posted:

What about the scene after they knock over the train? He tells that one guy that he'll be fine if they're not carrying spice, they find spice, and Fett says, "It's not looking good for you." Maybe he was just loving with him, but the implication seemed pretty clear that Fett doesn't want spice being moved through at least Tusken territory. Coupled with the Cobb Vanth scene, and the show is telling us, "Our good guys say 'spice is bad'".

Because the guy was trying to say their cargo wasnt high-value. Boba was able to extract a larger tribute because they were running spice.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

thrawn527 posted:

I think he pretty clearly meant "if you were just dumbass folks passing through whatever but now you owe me $$$ if you want to run spice" since that's what happens right after

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Because the guy was trying to say their cargo wasnt high-value. Boba was able to extract a larger tribute because they were running spice.

Neo Rasa posted:

I think he pretty clearly meant "if you were just dumbass folks passing through whatever but now you owe me $$$ if you want to run spice" since that's what happens right after

Then why did he specifically mention spice? There's plenty of high value cargo they could have been hauling. The show had him say spice for a reason. Same for the Cobb Vanth scene.

That's my reading on it, at least. I thought the show was making a "spice == bad" distinction.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Because the dude was a Pyke and that's their thing and Boba runs in circles where he would know that. And it was setting up the Pykes as antagonists who run spice. I don't think the show isn't saying that spice is bad, I just don't think Boba is someone who really cares ideologically.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Gotta say I am especially disappointed in the season's use of the tuskens, killing off the oppressed indigenous tribe just to give the outsider some character growth sucks rear end, at least in Avatar after their home tree got destroyed the rest of them rallied and fought back the invaders. Its basically a "women in refrigerators" situation but for a whole tribe. Its not just bad writing, it feels bad

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

thrawn527 posted:

Then why did he specifically mention spice? There's plenty of high value cargo they could have been hauling. The show had him say spice for a reason. Same for the Cobb Vanth scene.

That's my reading on it, at least. I thought the show was making a "spice == bad" distinction.

Its just a classic crime movie/mafia movie thing. He was shaking them down. "It'd be a shame if I cut open this bag and found you trafficking cocaine through MY territory..."

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Bismuth posted:

Gotta say I am especially disappointed in the season's use of the tuskens, killing off the oppressed indigenous tribe just to give the outsider some character growth sucks rear end, at least in Avatar after their home tree got destroyed the rest of them rallied and fought back the invaders. Its basically a "women in refrigerators" situation but for a whole tribe. Its not just bad writing, it feels bad

And there was literally no reason for it. He could have easily just said he was expecting blowback for hitting the train and was going to leave the tribe for a bit because he knew the city folk ways and would take over the cities to ensure the protection of the tribes.

Then at the end, when he turns to Fennec and says he's not cut out for that sort of life anymore, he could put her in charge and rejoin the tribe. It would have been a much more cohesive set of motivations.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 10, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sash! posted:

If crime syndicates were murdering people in the street to sell paprika, I'm pretty sure that people would be trying to shut it down too.

Have you heard about a little mom-and-pop operation called Dutch East India Company?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

If Boba finds spice that means the Pyke dude lied to him, which gives Boba one more reason to just kill the lot of them. Boba at that point doesn't care about spice. It doesn't matter to him to people want to get hosed up on Space Cocaine (or flavor their spaghetti sauce with Space Oregano). The Pykes' crime to him wasn't running spice. It was running their train through the Sand People tribe's territory and killing them and their livestock for intimidation/sport. "It's not looking good" for the Pyke dude because he just got caught lying to the person who holds his life in the balance.

Of course, once the Pykes get out of there, they immediately move to destroy that Sand People tribe when Boba comes in to collect his "tribute." It's a little surprising that they didn't just murder his unarmored rear end right there when he showed up since they were killing his tribe, too, but figure if they had, there'd have been no story.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Owlbear Camus posted:

E: Comedy option is just every season is a new cute baby [whatever] in his charge. Baby Greedo, Baby Ackbar, Baby Acklay....

Dear God no, this is how we got the Clone Wars movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hazo posted:

Dear God no, this is how we got the Clone Wars movie

But the Clone Wars movie is how we got the Clone Wars series, much of which did not suck (assuming you carefully follow the online curated guides).