Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brown Moses posted:

Let's see how future Conservative Prime Minister candidate Liz Truss is doing negotiating with the Russians
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1491771623497777159

What an insane meeting. One is the stooge of a power hungry madman, trying in every possible way to humiliate and discredit Britain internationally. And the other is Russia's foreign minister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

Let's see how future Conservative Prime Minister candidate Liz Truss is doing negotiating with the Russians
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1491771623497777159

I was already baffled reading about this earlier in the day, but the backroom bit is absolutely unreal. Completely out of this world.

Fingers crossed she gets to lead a China-U.K. summit, I want to hear Chen Weihua’s take on Shenzhen being protected by the “one country, two systems” principle.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nenonen posted:

What an insane meeting. One is the stooge of a power hungry madman, trying in every possible way to humiliate and discredit Britain internationally. And the other is Russia's foreign minister.

:golfclap:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I suspect this is a bit of mischievous briefing. The point behind Lavrov's question was obviously 'do you accept we have an absolute right to move troops to Rostov and Voronezh?' to which the answers are either "yes, but if you want that answer then you have to accept that Ukraine can host whatever forces it wants in its territory" or "no, under the security framework that you are asking for you do not have carte blance to mobilise an invasion force without other nations having a right to take an interest".

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Nenonen posted:

Can someone expand upon this? I'm not following.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It’s more than just a bit mischievous, but, perhaps, Sovereign Britain should send competent envoys for a hostile showdown with one of the most experienced diplomats on the planet, on his home turf no less.

Compare Truss’s performance to Baerbock’s.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Can someone expand upon this? I'm not following.

They’re taking a piss at Liz Truss, who has a spotty job performance record, and positions herself as a potential replacement to Boris Johnson.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 10, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I suspect this is a bit of mischievous briefing. The point behind Lavrov's question was obviously 'do you accept we have an absolute right to move troops to Rostov and Voronezh?' to which the answers are either "yes, but if you want that answer then you have to accept that Ukraine can host whatever forces it wants in its territory" or "no, under the security framework that you are asking for you do not have carte blance to mobilise an invasion force without other nations having a right to take an interest".

You're reading too much into it. He's trolling her by taking advantage of the fact she doesn't know the difference between Donetsk/Luhansk and Rostov/Voronezh. It gives him a neat sound bite for domestic consumption as a perk.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Morrow posted:

You're reading too much into it. He's trolling her by taking advantage of the fact she doesn't know the difference between Donetsk/Luhansk and Rostov/Voronezh. It gives him a neat sound bite for domestic consumption as a perk.

Oh he's absolutely trolling her, but that would have been the follow up question.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Alchenar posted:

No, I'm pretty sure she just hosed up

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sekenr posted:

No, I'm pretty sure she just hosed up
Yeah. Everything I've heard and seen of her makes her stand out as exceptionally stupid/uninformed, even among her peer group of idiot politicians. Something that the Russians could tell from regular media sources alone, but have probably also confirmed through their dealings with her friends and colleagues. Preparing for her to not immediately fall into your trap is like one step removed from preparing for aliens to show up and guarantee Ukraine's independence.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah. Everything I've heard and seen of her makes her stand out as exceptionally stupid/uninformed, even among her peer group of idiot politicians. Something that the Russians could tell from regular media sources alone, but have probably also confirmed through their dealings with her friends and colleagues. Preparing for her to not immediately fall into your trap is like one step removed from preparing for aliens to show up and guarantee Ukraine's independence.

I'm afraid she is monumentally stupid and we can only be thankful if her actions haven't already worsened the situation. We're not sending our best, you could say.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Zhirik seems to be done for :(

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is another really good thread on the root of this crisis:
https://twitter.com/samagreene/status/1491837537949736975

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Meanwhile Jeremy "Kompromat" Corbyn is trying to blame NATO for everything. He's even got Starmer out there writing OP eds about his dumb rear end. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/10/labour-nato-british-left-ukraine-keir-starmer

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Giggle Goose posted:

Meanwhile Jeremy "Kompromat" Corbyn is trying to blame NATO for everything. He's even got Starmer out there writing OP eds about his dumb rear end. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/10/labour-nato-british-left-ukraine-keir-starmer

Be the change you want to see in the world, there's plenty of ideological brigades you can volunteer for in the Ukraine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Giggle Goose posted:

What is the point of giving him that nickname? You can disagree with his position, but the man is entirely consistent in his politics - and not in the "just doing what the Kremlin tells him" sense.

Even weirder to lay that epithet on him when the Tories are funded by Russian oligarchs.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What is the point of giving him that nickname? You can disagree with his position, but the man is entirely consistent in his politics - and not in the "just doing what the Kremlin tells him" sense.

Even weirder to lay that epithet on him when the Tories are funded by Russian oligarchs.
Yeah, unlike the likes of Tony Blair he doesn't need to be paid to shill for murderous dictators.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm not too sure how helpful it is to bring UKpol opposition drama into this thread.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Alchenar posted:

I'm not too sure how helpful it is to bring UKpol opposition drama into this thread.

Its insanely helpful because it exposes the ideology of the individual who is pro-war from those who are anti-war

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Terminal autist posted:

Its insanely helpful because it exposes the ideology of the individual who is pro-war from those who are anti-war

Notably Russia: Very pro war. In that way they are not much different from those Western imperialist dogs. Otherwise they wouldn't be stacking units on Ukraine's border like checkers or providing military and material support to insurrectionists.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Giggle Goose posted:

I think you should stop reading UK media. Whenever it touches on a domestic subject the quality drops down to Pravda levels.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Morrow posted:

I think you should stop reading UK media. Whenever it touches on a domestic subject the quality drops down to Pravda levels.

The Guardian makes for an adequate read, with fewer land mines than in BBC on certain subjects. Just be mindful of Guardian’s opinion columns - I haven’t read the linked article specifically, but sometimes they get WSJ/NYT-tier wild.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Giggle Goose posted:

I'm not British so maybe I'm missing some nuance here but Corbyn definitely doesn't seem to be toeing the Russian line

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1488225112675528708

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Fair enough. I figured it was related closely enough to the Russia question but I will leave it alone. And the hyperbole admittedly didn't help.

Rather more directly related, I'm seeing reports in numerous locations (including the perfidious Guardian) that Russia now has more than enough troops on the Ukrainian border to conduct an invasion. What with the "drills?" starting up, looks like its going to be soon if its going to happen.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Does anyone know when the Russian drills in Belarus are scheduled to end? I think I read somewhere its supposed to end on the 20th but I'm not sure.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

Does anyone know when the Russian drills in Belarus are scheduled to end? I think I read somewhere its supposed to end on the 20th but I'm not sure.

You’re remembering the correct date.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Giggle Goose posted:

Fair enough. I figured it was related closely enough to the Russia question but I will leave it alone. And the hyperbole admittedly didn't help.

Rather more directly related, I'm seeing reports in numerous locations (including the perfidious Guardian) that Russia now has more than enough troops on the Ukrainian border to conduct an invasion. What with the "drills?" starting up, looks like its going to be soon if its going to happen.
The Guardian is a lovely rag that toes the Labour/Lib Dem line, and its no suprise you have your bizarre ideas on the notorious antisemite Jeremy Corbyn if you are reading them uncritically.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 11, 2022

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

cat botherer posted:

The Guardian is a lovely rag that toes the Labour line, and its no suprise you have your bizarre ideas on the notorious antisemite Jeremy Corbyn if you are reading them uncritically.

Well I certainly wasn't defending the man in any way, but I no doubt thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Concerning Lavrov and Truss' little tête-à-tête, it would be really wonderful to see a recording of their entire meeting. Financial Times blocked me after I read their article about it this morning but it cited Lavrov as saying something like that the conversation was akin to a mute person talking to a deaf person. Really painted a picture.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, I mean that's how this whole thing started.
Over a sudden shady withdrawal from a deal with the EU.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Decent thread on potential timelines: https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1491521222437445633?t=FKW9JYBcZmMLoisdGaFh4g&s=19

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Giggle Goose posted:

lol at the ideological positions this thread this forcing people

Jeremy Corbyn, enemy of D&D

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Regarde Aduck posted:

I forgot Giggle Goose spoke for all of D&D.

Knock it off.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

To be quite honest with you friend the only position that I hold with regards to the topic of this thread* is that Russian aggression against Ukraine is entirely the fault of Russia. I find that the suggestion that current events were caused by NATO to be unsound. I apologized for my hyperbole already, and here I shall do it again. Mea culpa comrade.

*at the moment

Giggle Goose fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 11, 2022

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Alchenar posted:

This is more or less my take on the whole thing, Ukraine is an existential threat to the current power structure of Russia if it is able to move towards the EU. One thing that struck me when I visited Tallinn and Riga from Saint Petersburg was "oh, this is how it could look if there wasn't rampant corruption.*" I always wondered why it didn't put on more pressure in Russia considering the number of people who go across the border to shop, but my read on that is that it is much easier to otherize and compartmentalise that due to the greater cultural distance between the Baltics and Russia. "These guys have it better, but they're small countries, not slavs and they're the pet project of the EU, such is life." Ukraine however? If Ukraine had spent the last 8 years moving towards the EU, removing corruption and developing, things would be looking shaky as hell for Putin as Ukraine would be the threat of a good example and there could be no excuses for why things are getting better in Ukraine but staying the same or getting worse in Russia. In this vein one stat I remember reading here ages ago was that Romania, one of the poorest countries in Europe at one point had surpassed Ukraine's GDP, which considering their different starting points in 1991, is quite the achievement and can be basically be credited to the anti-corruption work done between now and then by the EU.

*I know that things aren't perfect, but they are significantly better

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nearly nine hours of talks between Ukraine and Russia on Thursday failed to produce a breakthrough on signing a joint document, but both sides agreed to keep talking, the chief of staff to Ukraine's president said after the talks in Berlin.

And breaking up the EU is tantamount to Russian interests long term. Putin runs this thing like the CIA and desires to crack the foundations of Europe. The EU is already potentially on a downward spiral. The EU is a monetary union without a fiscal union and that cannot be forever. There has to be a US Of EUROPE or it'll fail eventually. I'm sure Putin is aware of this as he is a KGB guy and understands government. So by his request to have the EU countries submit separate plans he can show these plans don't line up and keep sending propaganda that reflects this idea.

For I believe that a breakup of the EU would allow a restoration to the pre-1938 hegemony of Europe. Which Russia was on trajectory to potentially dominate or be high on the list. However with all those pesky countries working together Russia is essentially closed out of a lot of the happenings of the continent. Ukraine is their time to shine on that stage if they can (I don't want this) ball up and be legends. I say this not because of my belief in Russia invading Ukraine but as a reference to the propaganda that such a victory would provide for Russia's.

Now, the question is will they? That's ultimately what's loving me up every day. Half of me has this burning inkling that it may just happen in our lifetimes. As it feels like general warfare is so far away it we are once again hearing "won't happen again" and "financial markets won't let the war happen!!!!!" Etc. God we are good at recreating our history not through intention but flat surfaces thinking.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 11, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://twitter.com/samagreene/status/1491847078103982082?s=20&t=24910nUPMLA1zTX1kqjMWA

There are some unforeseen economics at play here and Russia after all is enormous petrostate. I don't know how well versed anyone here is on Russian Economics, this is just napkin math but they say lost a half of their revenue from O&G exports that'd be 16% reduction on their economy.

https://twitter.com/samagreene/status/1491847068587073538?s=20&t=V1OtAOw0ogYzmRQ5b3mtsw

What does this mean?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 11, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia suddenly abandoned the blockage of the Sea of ​​Azov.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia suddenly abandoned the blockage of the Sea of ​​Azov.
........Did they blink?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Personally I interpret that as compared to the EU the Russian economy is built up more on rents/income streams not based on productivity increases (for example oil and gas instead of efficient industry) and that it also has more powerful patronage networks that grants monopolies. So the EU economy reaps the benefits of capitalism as the rich get rich get richer while the Russian economy does not because competition by productivity works less well due to the strong patronage networks/corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

It shouldn't be surprising that people in Eastern Europe thread (a lot of whom actually live here) have a different opinion on beloved western leftist figures especially when those figures cheer for glorious anti-imperialistic occupation.