Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Harry Shearer quit the Simpsons forever ten years ago or whatever it was. that's an extremely loving different set of negotiations, but I can't imagine them going on without DiMaggio jk I can ew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tree Goat posted:

her likely rendition of "bite my shiny metal rear end" came into my brain unbidden and it sounded, somehow, like a cobweb full of sand

I mean, that's what her voice sounds like anyway, why should you imagine it any different? Still, :gonk:

Empty Sandwich posted:

Harry Shearer quit the Simpsons forever ten years ago or whatever it was. that's an extremely loving different set of negotiations, but I can't imagine them going on without DiMaggio jk I can ew

Maybe they could go the Maggie Roswell route and have Bender & Robot Santa fall into an active volcano or something.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

YeahTubaMike posted:

Maybe they could go the Maggie Roswell route and have Bender & Robot Santa fall into an active volcano or something.

holy gently caress, I never realized DiMaggio took over Santa

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Detective No. 27 posted:

When Simpsons was good they were parodying movies that came out thirty years before it started. Maybe the modern crew thought doing that again would help them.

It's better than doing a Mr and Mrs Smith parody 5 years after it left the public consciousness.

.. upon doing some research, it turns out that episode was only 2 years after the film. still, it was a baffling decision

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DemoneeHo posted:

It's better than doing a Mr and Mrs Smith parody 5 years after it left the public consciousness.

.. upon doing some research, it turns out that episode was only 2 years after the film. still, it was a baffling decision

I remember Mr. and Mrs. Smith existed!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wizard Master posted:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Bender's voice acter isn't returning because they're trying to make his character and the whole show "woke" like every other piece of media these days

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wait, but...how would adding a new VA to bender make the show 'woke'? :confused:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mr Interweb posted:

wait, but...how would adding a new VA to bender make the show 'woke'? :confused:

Bender was made in Mexico

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mantis42 posted:

Jesus, they even added a cute kid character to Married... With Children, the absolute maniacs.

quote:

Seven was the child of Zemus and Ida Mae Wanker, the cousin of Peg Bundy, who appeared in 12 episodes of the seventh season of Married with Children, having been informally adopted by the Bundys.

"Seven". "Ida Mae Wanker".

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Empty Sandwich posted:

Shearer still does The Simpsons. He did threaten to quit in 2015 (over money, mostly) but didn't. He did stop putting any effort into it, although that was probably well before 2015.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Bender was made in Mexico

I always interpreted that as a joke about the production of American goods being outsourced due to Reagan era deregulation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

edogawa rando posted:

I always interpreted that as a joke about the production of American goods being outsourced due to Reagan era deregulation.

His full name is Bender Bending Rodriguez

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

edogawa rando posted:

Not to worry, they decided to make an eyerolling sentimental episode detailing the whole thing in the later seasons. Also Hermes was the one who built him because everything must be interconnected. The Force willed it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Futurama Babies, where they all knew each other

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I remember an episode of nu Futurama where the main cast started referring to each other by their first names randomly during the climax, to symbolize their friendship or whatever.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mr Interweb posted:

The answer is Wizard Master

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

Please stop giving them ideas for the next anthology of parodies in the reboot.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

I remember an episode of nu Futurama where the main cast started referring to each other by their first names randomly during the climax, to symbolize their friendship or whatever.

...I never actually realized that until now, but what is the rule/reason/whatever for that?

Fry and Leela are called by their last names. Professor Farnsworth and Dr. Zoidburg are titles, so the last name usage there makes sense. But apart from that, I think most of the main (?) cast goes by their first name? Amy, Hermes, Zapp, Kif, etc.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I’m assuming later seasons Smithers isn’t holding a gun on Tom Jones or standing by being perfectly fine with his boss getting ready to shoot kids to cover up a trivial dognapping.

Mellow Seas posted:

Shearer still does The Simpsons. He did threaten to quit in 2015 (over money, mostly) but didn't. He did stop putting any effort into it, although that was probably well before 2015.

Didn’t he get the ok to literally phone in his roles from a home studio? I’d guess the pandemic means most of the cast does that now.

Can’t imagine DiMaggio’s asking price could be that much, if they cared about quality just take it out of Groening’s cut, he already has hundreds of millions.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs3bXmPVy-U

^Harry Shearer (and probably the whole cast at this point)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

ishikabibble posted:

Fry and Leela are called by their last names

Leela is still her given name, it's just that her family name comes first (she's Turanga Leela, and her parents' names are Turanga Somebody and Turanga Whoever)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait that just reminds me

didn't fry's parents also call him fry? :confused:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DemoneeHo posted:

Was that before or after Metal Gear Solid 4 did a homage to that with the guy whose main character trait is that he poops his pants?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Didn’t he get the ok to literally phone in his roles from a home studio? I’d guess the pandemic means most of the cast does that now.

I'm pretty sure everyone on the cast has done that for at least a decade now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The last revival season had some of the best and worst episodes of the show apparently, so hopefully this'll follow suit at least.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

wait that just reminds me

didn't fry's parents also call him fry? :confused:

No I'm pretty sure it's Philip at least most of the time

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mellow Seas posted:

I should've put scare quotes around it -- I meant that he was incredibly serious this time and no amount of money would change his mind into it did. I'm hoping it's the same here.

speaking of which

https://ew.com/tv/futurama-john-dimaggio-wont-voice-bender-revival-for-now/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's very weird that Billy West and Katey Segal accepted the offer without talking to DiMaggio. You'd think they'd know they need to stick together in negotiations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PostNouveau posted:

It's very weird that Billy West and Katey Segal accepted the offer without talking to DiMaggio. You'd think they'd know they need to stick together in negotiations.

that article posted:

One source suggests the favored nations process fell apart with West and Sagal taking the offer without consulting DiMaggio. Another source refutes that notion.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Data Graham posted:

Final Fantasy VIII orphanage flashbacks

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Leela is still her given name, it's just that her family name comes first (she's Turanga Leela, and her parents' names are Turanga Somebody and Turanga Whoever)

I loved how they introduced that name

Taranga??
That's her name, Philip.
Philip??

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
she's named after a symphony:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turangal%C3%AEla-Symphonie

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I like this extremely subtle name joke in season 3 that only works after season 4 has aired:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Probably my favorite Dark Simpsons so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brUxlRzQI7c

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Empty Sandwich posted:

I like this extremely subtle name joke in season 3 that only works after season 4 has aired:

I do like the implication that Fry's whole family are kinda loopy like he is. (and not just because of the temporal paradox inbreeding) You see where he gets it from.

Also maybe the implication that even if he was more mature like Lars, and while he and Leela probably could live a happy life together, he probably wouldn't be a good father.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This talk about naming conventions reminds me of when I was watching Red Dwarf and the way characters referred to one another.

Dave Lister: Everyone practically refers to him as "Lister" or "Mr. Lister". Holly seemed to call him Dave more frequently, but maybe that's something to do with programming to come off as more friendly. (Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if Cat ever called him by his name at all with any regularity.)

Arnold Rimmer: Same issue as with Lister.

I sort of recall everyone referring to most characters with just their last names, save the single-name Cat, Kryten, and Holly.

For a while I thought I maybe just took that for a British 'workplace professional attitude' sort of thing or 'in the future, society goes with the family name more than the given name.'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JediTalentAgent posted:

This talk about naming conventions reminds me of when I was watching Red Dwarf and the way characters referred to one another.

Dave Lister: Everyone practically refers to him as "Lister" or "Mr. Lister". Holly seemed to call him Dave more frequently, but maybe that's something to do with programming to come off as more friendly. (Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if Cat ever called him by his name at all with any regularity.)

I sort of recall everyone referring to most characters with just their last names, save the single-name Cat, Kryten, and Holly.

For a while I thought I maybe just took that for a British 'workplace professional attitude' sort of thing or 'in the future, society goes with the family name more than the given name.'

Lister and Rimmer in particular are freshly woken up/activated from having served on the Red Dwarf's crew with a formal command structure, where I think most people would probably be addressed by rank and/or surname, so they're probably still in that habit.

Of course, names are a funny thing. Some people go by their middle name or last name, maybe having been called that by their own parents for some reason.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

Rimmer and Lister were crew members on a ship where the convention is to address people by their family name or rank
Krtyten uses title and family name because he's a servant
Cat doesn't address anyone by name or have one himself because he's a cat and therefore the only thing in the universe so names are pointless.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Would it not be a result of the ship having nautical style conventions, so they'd know each other by rank and surname? Lister even referred to his crush (and later crewmate) by her last name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

s8 was the lowest point of Red Dwarf. I assume. Never did watch the revival seasons where everyone is so old and tired looking.