Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy

They're called andrologists, Liz.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Calmly discussing discipline while taking your toddler out in the snow would be unremarkable in literally any other comic strip :allears:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett TrueSquirrel Food February 28, 1919

No-no-no-no. It's the recipient of the joke who goes ¡Plop! and they go backwards!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (April 3, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 3, 2000)

Garfield Classic (April 3, 1990)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

There have been a number of doping scandals in cross country skiing, including a famous one in Finland where in 2001 six Finnish athletes were caught using Hemohes, a hydroxyethyl starch substance.

As an aside, "iskender" is a type of kebab that's become very popular in Finland. Since Turkish and other Middle-Eastern immigrants made kebab restaurants an ubiquitous part of urban Finland, kebabs have become so popular that they're sometimes referred to as Finland's modern national dish. An iskender is a dish where kebab meat and salad are piled on pieces of pita bread.

Now I want a kebab.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/9/02

Brenda Starr 2/22/48

Smokey Stover 2/10/46

Everyday Movies 10/30/34

"The reason I like to go out with Harry is because he treats me like a lady."

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 18, 1949)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56l4OL_-cCY

riderchop posted:

On the Fastrack
How exactly would an employee take the job of the owner of the company? :crossarms:

Powered Descent posted:

I think the closest you'd get would be Weird Al Yankovic. Not everyone is a rabid fan, but it's very rare to find someone who straight-up dislikes him.
It's me. I'm the one person who doesn't like "Weird Al" Yankovic.

EasyEW posted:

Blondie (From Zero) (August 20-22, 1931)
Weird how they went from Dagwood's parents opposing his marriage to Blondie and putting all sorts of obstacles in their way, to Blondie and Dagwood trying to elope, to Dagwood's parents giving their approval, straight back to the beginning again. I had assumed we were getting close to the point where they actually married and Dagwood got disowned, but now I'm not sure.

Guest strip by Joe Cartoon?

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 2/22/48
I really want to see Abretha tell every one of these people to go and get hosed. :sigh:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "25 - Jucika and Canning"

"konzerv = canned"

"26 - Jucika and Melon"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

"If Aleta doesn't have a bias against raiders, then why do they all suffer mysterious deaths when they kidnap her??"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
John Allison Mystery Comic: Giant Days

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Oh right, I see. It’s BRUCE Wayne. And Pennyworth is ALFRED Pennyworth. Who? Mr Peepers and Mr Magoo? Sorry, I don’t know these characters.

I do know that Sheffield’s cutlery is really excellent.

Medenmath posted:

There's so much I love about this set of panels.:allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think Curtis sucks for a lot of reasons, but "character makes comically exaggerated reaction to lukewarm joke" is definitely up there.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Is Giant Days an official Batman comic, or does this fall under parody/fair use/whatever?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm guessing this has been said in here before, but I really think Curtis could be one of the best newspaper comics around if Billingsley got a decent writer involved. He's a genuinely talented artist, as evidenced by the Kwanzaa stories, but even the day-to-day art is solid and expressive. It's just the day-to-day writing that's usually bad.

Let him keep writing the Kwanzaa stories though, those seem to range from interesting to downright bizarre.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Other posted:

John Allison Mystery Comic: Giant Days

So I'm thinking this is a Diedrich Bader voiced Bruce Wayne, maybe Will Arnett.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

howe_sam posted:

So I'm thinking this is a Diedrich Bader voiced Bruce Wayne, maybe Will Arnett.

Clearly that is Kevin Conroy's Bruce Wayne. The One True Wayne.
:goonsay:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Samovar posted:

No-no-no-no. It's the recipient of the joke who goes ¡Plop! and they go backwards!
This was early in the development of the ¡Plop!

F Minus

Mark Trail

He comes into your home, locks your cat in a room and steals your sandwiches.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"I'm just a regular old palooka lookin' to talk about a child author!"

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Can Savarna just take over the comic cause drat

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

Pondus

The Good Innvandrer

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

TegneHanne reading me for filth today

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

That is HILARIOUS.

EasyEW posted:

It Can't Happen Here (Which We've Titled As Something Else, Because I Dunno, You Tell Me) (January 26, 1936)

e: Okay, this one scrambled my brain just a bit. He proposes inflation? So I had to go for the book.

Senator Windrip's campaign issued a policy statement called "The Fifteen Points of Victory for the Forgotten Men." Point number 8 is "Congress shall have the sole right to issue money and immediately upon our inauguration it shall at least double the present supply of money, in order to facilitate the fluidity of credit." Jessup translates that as "by inflation, big industrial companies will be able to buy their outstanding bonds back at a cent on the dollar." But yeah, as the strip implies, Windrip's racial policies would make an apartheid supporter blush.
It was excessively tight monetary policies in Germany that exacerbated the Great Depression enough to bring Hitler to power. Hitler went to aggressive money printing. Officially, he didn't increase the money supply, but he created a new kind of bank note which also circulated, printing almost as much as the existing money supply. This brought Germany out of the Depression pretty quickly and by 1936 they were back to roughly full employment. So Windrup is basically promising to copy Hitler's (successful) monetary policies.

Current fascists tend to support hard money policies because they want to keep the ultra-wealthy who fund them happy. In addition the crushingly constrictive money policies that brought Hitler to power are very rare today, so they wouldn't have freebie benefits from running the printing presses anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

davidspackage posted:

Can Savarna just take over the comic cause drat

Savarna for new Phantom

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm guessing this has been said in here before, but I really think Curtis could be one of the best newspaper comics around if Billingsley got a decent writer involved. He's a genuinely talented artist, as evidenced by the Kwanzaa stories, but even the day-to-day art is solid and expressive. It's just the day-to-day writing that's usually bad.

Let him keep writing the Kwanzaa stories though, those seem to range from interesting to downright bizarre.

Yeah, personally I feel Billingsley should just retire the Curtis cast and make the whole strip about weird African fantasy stories.

Speaking of, out of curiosity are any of the Kwanzaa stories based on actual African folklore or did he just make them all up himself?

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

Lol, so relatable.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

I love how the owner perks up at some hot goss.

ChaCha Chako

End chapter 12! (Of 15 - we're coming in to the home stretch.)

Night Visitors

The thing sticking up at the top is the bill and not some weird crest - it's half turned inside out to show both colors.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kennel posted:

Is Giant Days an official Batman comic, or does this fall under parody/fair use/whatever?

This is a heck of a stretch for fair use. So far, they both seem to be entirely sincere, and Allison didn't even bother to slightly change the names, let alone the character designs.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (May 10, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 14-15, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online [AWESOME]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! February 26, 1919

Outbursts of Everett TrueSquirrel Food March 1, 1919

Gay and Her Gang March 10, 1930

Oaky Doaks August 8, 1936

Mopsy October 16, 1937