Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/1491919390169657344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I love both Bah Bodenkirk and the Mayor of Podcasts but don't quite get it. Help please

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I love both Bah Bodenkirk and the Mayor of Podcasts but don't quite get it. Help please
He had a heart attack on set.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A space ghost reference in tyool 2022? :dance:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I mean, the cadence is pretty weird but I don't see...

...oh.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Sheesh, what a sourpuss.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Splicer posted:

I can tell you that in the US there's Irish pubs and "Irish pubs" and they are very very different pubs.

Same is true of Ireland now I think of it.

You can blame the English for both, I’m sure.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

I can tell you that in the US there's Irish pubs and "Irish pubs" and they are very very different pubs.

Same is true of Ireland now I think of it.

Yeah Ireland has pubs and it also has Irish Pubs

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You can blame the English for both, I’m sure.

At least some of the "Irish pubs" are a result of tourists going to Dublin and getting disappointed that the real pubs in Ireland weren't like the ones they imagined in their head

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

At least some of the "Irish pubs" are a result of tourists going to Dublin and getting disappointed that the real pubs in Ireland weren't like the ones they imagined in their head

This is exactly what happened and it's hilarious

The national sport of Ireland is lying so it wasn't even a big deal to just turn a bunch of pubs into the fever dream of a guy from boston and rake in tourist dollars

some plague rats has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Feb 11, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I have a feeling the biggest tourist dollars (pounds?) in Dublin aren’t from Boston, or even anywhere in North America, but from somewhere in England.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Euros.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Pookah posted:

I bought a box of dried methi to try to recreate and it was bleah:(

re-creating the complexity of good indian food at home can take a lot of work. getting this recipe right took two tries but i really captures the layers and layers of flavors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-KO1LIdKdE

one big tip is to use both bloomed and raw spices, since each has distinct flavor profiles and when you combine them it really makes a complete spectrum

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Australia’s prime minister is not looking good in the polls and has done a promotional interview on a current affairs program involving a ukulele.

https://twitter.com/MattDoran91/status/1491937227416358914

https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1491938923307622400?s=20&t=30LSDLrOi5Bt4PqPmYtNmQ

https://twitter.com/iiTalW/status/1491955901158199302?s=20&t=30LSDLrOi5Bt4PqPmYtNmQ

Sound absolutely on for this last one.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

FFT posted:

He had a heart attack on set.

Thanks!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

A space ghost reference in tyool 2022? :dance:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1492153197577871362

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

some plague rats posted:

Yeah Ireland has pubs and it also has Irish Pubs
I should say I'm Irish and live in Ireland but I was traveling to the US semi-regularly for a while and people kept taking me to Irish pubs "as a treat".

I don't even drink.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arthur Conan Doyle would have been three years old in 1862.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

A prodigy!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Ghost Club was founded in 1862 and Charles Babbage, Charles Dickens and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle were all members.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Splicer posted:

I should say I'm Irish and live in Ireland but I was traveling to the US semi-regularly for a while and people kept taking me to Irish pubs "as a treat".

I don't even drink.

The absolute most grotesquely hateful thing related to this topic is a pub here that has pre-St. Patrick's day events throughout the year called "Practice your Paddy". Last time I was in there it was I think $7.50 for a bottle of beer. Fries & gravy was something like $11. The rogue who owns it also owns a brewery a few doors down and so if you buy that gross poo poo its a bit cheaper, but if you want anything good you will pay through the nose. Also opened a location in the local airport under the same name where a glass of orange juice was $9. She's been on the news several times during covid complaining about the struggles and the thin margins. Can you imagine having that little shame?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Captain Monkey posted:

of course we do, the US has all sorts of indopak restaurants with varying levels of authenticity just like with every other type of food. Like you probably won't find legit foreign food in bumfuck ohio, but any major city will have several options, at least one of which is probably good.

Oddly enough, Cleveland was the first place I've been to that had a counter-serve Indian joint. Never understood why I rarely see that kinda setup as I travel around these Unuited States.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

muscles like this! posted:

he was pretty smart

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No, Sherlock Holmes was smart. It's very easy to create a character that's smarter than you, especially if you're writing the rest of the world to make it so he's always right. Arthur Conan Doyle thought this was incontrovertible proof of the existence of fairies and spent thousands trying to find them:

That didn't stop people from sending him letters begging him to solve their cases, though. Including the real police!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The dude founded the X-Files when he was 4

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sh44sti/status/1491454595583049729?s=21

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Meanwhile, orangina drinkers keep low.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

BirdOfPlay posted:

Oddly enough, Cleveland was the first place I've been to that had a counter-serve Indian joint. Never understood why I rarely see that kinda setup as I travel around these Unuited States.

Cleveland isn’t bumfuck Ohio. Nor are Cincinnati or Columbus. Great food from the world’s best cuisines available in all those cities.

Now, is the rest of Ohio bumfuck? I will leave that exercise for the reader, though there are some good restaurants in Athens, Ohio, the Athens of Ohio.

flavor.flv posted:

That didn't stop people from sending [Arthur Conan Doyle] letters begging him to solve their cases, though. Including the real police!

He actually did investigate one and help clear a wrongly charged man, though. Although his investigatory superpower was mostly “being less racist than the original police investigators and thus doing some actual investigation.”

Oh, also this non-murder, and again the same superpower of not just assuming that the Indian dude did it.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Feb 11, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I name all of Ohio "bumfuck". And Iowa and Indiana, as well.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Having lived in Ohio and mercifully escaped, Ohio is the word "Bumfuck" with a distressed coat of eggshell while paint.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I moved away from Columbus in the late 90s and it was definitely the cowtown you all think it is, but at some point in the last 25 years that's changed to some degree. It's not an amazing city on par with NYC or LA, but it's definitely underrated.

Ohio sucks, though. No questions about that.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

zoux posted:

I name all of Ohio "bumfuck". And Iowa and Indiana, as well.

Harsh but fair

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

ultrafilter posted:

I moved away from Columbus in the late 90s and it was definitely the cowtown you all think it is, but at some point in the last 25 years that's changed to some degree. It's not an amazing city on par with NYC or LA, but it's definitely underrated.

Ohio sucks, though. No questions about that.

I'd agree that my view of Columbus has definitely changed in the last 25 years.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1492207358986096641

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

There's apparently 3 adaptations of Pinocchio coming out in 2022. Spoiler, this isn't the one directed by Guillermo del Toro

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1492271548203479042

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

NY Times has a good article on the Bradford Pear:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/26/us/bradford-pear-tree-south-carolina.html

Cool that is came from Frank Meyer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Nicholas_Meyer who made up for his crime by giving us the Meyer Lemon and a lot of other cool things including a mysterious death it isn't actually mysterious, he just checked himself out.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

This makes me so uncomfortable for her. I just want to pull her pants up. They're digging in and not sitting right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bodnoirbabe posted:

This makes me so uncomfortable for her. I just want to pull her pants up. They're digging in and not sitting right!

I believe Jenna Maroney has successfully reclaimed the muffin top.