Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I got a email this morning saying all-clad is having another factory seconds sale starting today and lasting through 2/9, so if you’re on the look out, maybe check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Tadger posted:

I got a email this morning saying all-clad is having another factory seconds sale starting today and lasting through 2/9, so if you’re on the look out, maybe check it out.

I managed to get a bunch of All-Clad at BBB via using the 20% off coupon on it a few years back when the manager overrode the coupon exclusion to do it because she was quitting.

MajesticTrout
Apr 23, 2006
To continue the air fryer chat, are there any air fryer/toaster oven combos that are worth looking at?

Looking at the reviews for even decently-rated ones, there are still a lot of "It stopped working one nanosecond after the warranty expired" sort of posts. I'd love to buy something from a manufacturer that was willing to sell replacement parts, but that doesn't seem to exist in this space.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

MajesticTrout posted:

To continue the air fryer chat, are there any air fryer/toaster oven combos that are worth looking at?

Looking at the reviews for even decently-rated ones, there are still a lot of "It stopped working one nanosecond after the warranty expired" sort of posts. I'd love to buy something from a manufacturer that was willing to sell replacement parts, but that doesn't seem to exist in this space.

It’s not inexpensive but I have the Breville smart oven and I love it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is this the one from CostCo? I have an ancient small toaster oven whose counter space I would love to replace with a combo air fryer/toaster oven (which we mostly use for toast or reheating french fries since our toaster's timer died).

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I want to make a fuckload of tomato-based pasta sauce tomorrow, but for complicated reasons not worth getting into all I have here is a stainless (or aluminum?) stockpot. Is it going to burn and stick to the bottom? It will, won't it

MajesticTrout
Apr 23, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I've looked at that one and it's good to hear confirmation that it's decent.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I want to make a fuckload of tomato-based pasta sauce tomorrow, but for complicated reasons not worth getting into all I have here is a stainless (or aluminum?) stockpot. Is it going to burn and stick to the bottom? It will, won't it

Should be totally fine just manage your heat and add other stuff first (with olive oil or something) before a bunch of fluid so you can deglaze the pot before adding the diced tomatoes or whatnot. Once you actually have fluid in there you won't have it ripping hot anyways so I don't know why it would burn. The acid from the tomatoes is not something I'd be worried about but I'm definitely paying attention to see if other replies confirm that's a problem.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah you will be absolutely fine just don't leave it unattended for too long and watch your heat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I literally can't think of any time I've made tomato sauces in anything other than a stainless stockpot, with the possible exception of small amounts of basic red sauce I'll sometimes throw together in a (stainless) fry pan.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Oracle posted:

Is this the one from CostCo? I have an ancient small toaster oven whose counter space I would love to replace with a combo air fryer/toaster oven (which we mostly use for toast or reheating french fries since our toaster's timer died).

It’s this one:

https://www.breville.com/au/en/products/ovens/bov860.html

But an older model. On sale I think it was about $300. It’s great at air frying, convection, toasting, pizzas, etc. And pretty compact all things considered, though it’s bigger than a simple toaster oven or air fryer.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I want https://www.breville.com/au/en/products/microwaves/bmo870.html instead so I don’t have to have another appliance on the counter, but it’s more expensive.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks for the replies, that's a relief. I usually use an enameled dutch oven and have never ever had sticking or burning problems, but I associate all stainless/aluminum cookware with "sticks and burns in like 2 seconds"

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Breville oven is good, keep in mind it doesn't have a built in drip pan like this Cuisinart. I actually wanted the latter, but it was too tall to fit in my kitchen space.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Oracle posted:

Its the appliance anniversary so tell me about air fryers and moka pots - good brands, etc.

The coffee thread has more input I'm sure, but last I checked Moka Pots just don't make good coffee, no matter how much effort you put into them.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I bought a nice kitchen scale, and it broke within a year, so I'm using an analogue one that's like 70 years old instead. Works fine, except they're not great for fine measurements.

Anyone got a reccomendation for digital kitchen scales that aren't gonna die within a year? (UK)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nettle Soup posted:

I bought a nice kitchen scale, and it broke within a year, so I'm using an analogue one that's like 70 years old instead. Works fine, except they're not great for fine measurements.

Anyone got a reccomendation for digital kitchen scales that aren't gonna die within a year? (UK)

Here ya go.

Best kitchen scale I've ever owned and it's not close, going on year 6 of ownership.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Was looking at those! I would have to really find somewhere permanent for them to live, probably not even in the kitchen because I don't have any useful plug sockets in there, but it looks like a good option.

Seems like they're here for half the price, too. Same model number.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

Was looking at those! I would have to really find somewhere permanent for them to live, probably not even in the kitchen because I don't have any useful plug sockets in there, but it looks like a good option.

The one I have is also battery powered, I've never even used the AC adapter.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've used This Oxo for many years and it's fine and runs off batteries.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Happiness Commando posted:

I've used This Oxo for many years and it's fine and runs off batteries.

I went through 3 of the OXO scales breaking in 4 years before I just switched to the MyWeigh. Makes me super sad because I LOVE the form factor of the OXO so much.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Here ya go.

Best kitchen scale I've ever owned and it's not close, going on year 6 of ownership.

Every time this one comes up I throw in a reccomendation for it as well.
I used the same one in a commercial bakery and it never failed us.
The battery can charge via the ac adapter when it would die we'd just plug it in for a few hours and then unplug it when it was charged.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't have that exact model but I have a different My Weigh scale I got in 2009 and it still works great.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I bought an Ozeri a year ago on goon recommendation and it seems to be a great value for price and it can slot away a lot easier. Good budget option, no idea its levity but the posts that led me to it said years and years.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nettle Soup posted:

Seems like they're here for half the price, too. Same model number.

I "wasted" money on the AC adapter as after a while I threw some batteries in it and they've lasted, with daily use, at least a couple years by this point. I'd say stick with the battery power if you get one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
what are the keywords I want to search for for a restaurant style fume hood above my stove if I renovated? I'm 100% ok with moving my microwave/etc, I like searing poo poo and I want super good smoke extraction above my stove.

(ok doesn't need to be restaurant grade but like, big volume)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

what are the keywords I want to search for for a restaurant style fume hood above my stove if I renovated? I'm 100% ok with moving my microwave/etc, I like searing poo poo and I want super good smoke extraction above my stove.

You can probably do fine with a higher end consumer model. I’d recommend getting one side a little wider than your range. I got a 600 CFM model and it works pretty well.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

You usually want 100 CFM for every 10,000 BTUs your stove puts out. Apparently for an electric stove you want to multiply the width by 10 (so for example 360 CFM for a 36 inch stove).

Also just keep in mind if you have a newer house it will likely be better sealed to the outside, and codes typically require make up air sources for the air being sucked out by the hood.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also just keep in mind if you have a newer house it will likely be better sealed to the outside, and codes typically require make up air sources for the air being sucked out by the hood.

There is usually a cutoff in the building code. Locally for me it’s 600CFM. But if you are going through any attic space it should be fine because you can pull the makeup air from there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would go no lower than 400cfm. Even those can be noisy though, so if you can swing the expense and install costs, a hood with a remote blower is a fantastic option.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wolf makes hoods with remote blowers. You pick out the hood part that you see and pair it with the blower of the size you want/need. Ours is on the outside of the roof so even at full blast it’s pretty quiet. You hear air rushing but not so much motor noise.

We also have a remote air makeup damper installed for the reasons listed above.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Exterior blowers are definitely the way to go if you can swing it. I plan to install one of the Broan E46E series hoods as soon as the weather breaks. They offer anywhere from 600-1500 CFM externally mounted blowers or slightly lower flow rates for their inline blowers. I’m going to try it without the air makeup since my house is from the 70s and I can just crack a window if necessary.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
IDK if this is the right thread for it, but, I moved into a place with a gas hookup for outdoor grilling. I've never lived in a place like that. Used charcoal before, or wood before that. Do I have to get a guy to install whatever I buy? What kind of gas grill is recommended? I am keen on the idea because I had an ex who had an outdoor gas grill, and it was easy because you could just turn it on and 5 minutes later (or less) you could be cooking the meat. It's a huge production with charcoal or wood. I used to have big parties where we'd all braai (grill outdoors) but I don't see myself doing that much any more, so it doesn't have to be like, commercial size or anything.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I don't have specific recommendations but you should note natural gas and propane grills require different parts. The gas orifice needed for each is different. So when you go to buy a grill make sure it'll run on natural gas- either it's already set up for it or you get the conversion kit from the manufacturer. What kind of gas it'll take is usually clearly labelled by the retailer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone gone from gas range to induction? anything you miss about using gas?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm also curious about this.

Like can you still do stuff like "shake popcorn on the stove" or does it continually turn on and off as the pot loses contact? Does that scuff the gently caress out of the cooktop too?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

I had gas and now have electric and on Thursday I will have induction. Gas was way better than electric.

Been swapping pots and pans for induction ready ones in anticipation.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

misen gift card :words:

Ended up getting the misen utility and paring knife. Don't love the utility knife, it just doesn't feel as good as my other utility - heavier, duller (out of the box at least, haven't tried to sharpen the misen yet). Build quality seems fine, the pinch neck is actually very comfortable. Like the paring knife much more because its just a comfortable paring knife and I can always use more of those. The utility knife is going to hang out in my "hand to a guest who wants to help" pile.

Think at this point my dream knife is the northwest knife company ironwood handle with the misen neck pinch with my 7" gyuto knife.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm also curious about this.

Like can you still do stuff like "shake popcorn on the stove" or does it continually turn on and off as the pot loses contact? Does that scuff the gently caress out of the cooktop too?

All the ones I've interacted with pause briefly and maybe beep as they lose contact. I haven't had problems with scuffing either, though I fully dropped one and cracked the glass - it still works, but it's not nice to look at and I had to pull out some loose splinters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I’ve never had gas, just traditional resistive electric and induction. You can shift pans around and pick them up and toss stuff while you’re cooking, it’s fine, you just only get heat while the pan is in contact with the cooktop. I do have some scuffing on my cooktop but hard to tell if that’s because I slide pans on it, or if it’s from not being particularly careful about how I clean it - I don’t really give a gently caress how it looks so I just use normal kitchen cleaning equipment, not special glass stove cleaner or whatever.