Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
pokemon legends arceus

good in all the ways youve already heard. i hope they use this as a base going forward because i already see a million little ways they could improve on it and make it Epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Foegot tonwrite itnhere but pocky and rocky 2. loving piece of poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. M.U.S.H.A.
2. Ion Fury
3. Thunder Force II
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Inscryption

Pretty cool meta stuff and for once it's not attached to bad on purpose gameplay.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Code Name: Viper. This game is full of unfair deaths. After each one you have to traverse up to half of the level to get back to where you were. On the way, most hazards can kill you in one hit and require you to wait to get past them, when you're in a hurry because all you want to do is try the part you had trouble with again. It's like one of those romhacks designed to frustrate you. I love hard, punishing games but I wouldn't recommend this.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Haven, coop, severed bridge ending. Very pleasant game to play with your so, not super challenging combat, one person can basically do all the challenging traversal. Was worried the dialogue would be marvel style banter but it actually managed to be almost entirely charming and it let emotional beats hit. Glad I played through it

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
1. Assassin’s Creed: Origins
2. Hitman
3. Hitman

4. Hitman 3

Best of the series, not a single bad level in it (the last one is close). Beyond excited to see what IO does with 007, kind of hope it’s just the same thing but you drive cars.

will keep coming back to this while I play what’s next, either Kiwami 2 or ac odyssey

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Returnal (True ending):
2. Katamari Damacy: I thought I'd like this a lot more than I did. Amazing presentation, incredible music, and really funny writing carried kind of frustrating gameplay. The basic levels were fine and chill to clear but pretty easy to beat first try. The challenges like getting good scores on the Constellation levels was horrendous to do. All the challenges in the game are centred on requiring super precise rolling but the entire game and controls are not designed for any kind of precision. So by the halfway point I was satisfied with just beating a levels' with minimum requirement instead of trying to get a score to impress the King of all Cosmos. Outside of the controls making the challenges super frustrating, it was surprisingly janky despite being a single primary concept. Lots of weird items that wouldn't pick even while you picked up larger objects, or just ledges being weirdly impassable when they shouldn't be. I think if the minimum requirements for beating levels were harder and the challenges weren't based around precision controlling I'd have liked it much more. As it was I beat most levels first try and after trying pretty hard to get all the crabs and swans for the first two constellations and finding it totally miserable I didn't bother retrying constellations no matter how few stars I got.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 11, 2022

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The first Katamari is pretty cool but yea you're actively fighting against the physics, the second one completely fixes the problem and is way more polished in every other aspect as well, you should def play it if you can get your hands on it. Some of the challenges still require precision and speed but you'll have way less instances of 'Stuck between two objects I can't roll up and constantly losing objects for 30 seconds straight'.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Plebian Parasite posted:

The first Katamari is pretty cool but yea you're actively fighting against the physics, the second one completely fixes the problem and is way more polished in every other aspect as well, you should def play it if you can get your hands on it. Some of the challenges still require precision and speed but you'll have way less instances of 'Stuck between two objects I can't roll up and constantly losing objects for 30 seconds straight'.

Lol that always sucked. I'm not totally opposed to playing We Love Katamari if they release a REROLL of it too. Sounds like it fixes most of my major issues. I thought the game was at its best when I had a map where I had to figure out the best order to approach different areas and figure out where to go to keep my Katamari growing consistently and quickly. So I'd fail or squeak a win on a level but on a replay roll up super fast as I knew where to go at each size. I feel if it had built challenge more around that with tighter times rather than rolling up 200 crabs in awkward places that would work much better. Loved all the Sinatra inspired music at the end

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Everything you don’t like is a real problem but it’s still one of my favorite games. The second has much better levels especially the constellations, the worst ones are kind of mean but I love it. There’s one where you can only pick up one cow and the cow patterned traffic cone right in front of the start counts.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got the tude now posted:

Everything you don’t like is a real problem but it’s still one of my favorite games. The second has much better levels especially the constellations, the worst ones are kind of mean but I love it. There’s one where you can only pick up one cow and the cow patterned traffic cone right in front of the start counts.

They did this in 1 also with bears and cows. I kind of liked it as an idea but then I had two pretty big Katamari going and some invisible cow hiding behind a tree or something got sucked up and was ofc the smallest possible cow and I just didn't care to try a third time. I think it's a super charming game that's carried hard by presentation and anything beyond basic clears turned me off a lot. But 2 still sounds worth a shake. it was also quite satisfying how big the stuff you ended up rolling up was as well as getting revenge on a dog or fatso or car who knocked you around

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Hah I thought the cow level sounded like a katamari 1 level when I posted. i didn’t try to max out the constellations last time I beat it. Should dig out the ps2 for we <3 sometime soon.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

katamari forever is objectively the best katamari game

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I got the tude now posted:

Hah I thought the cow level sounded like a katamari 1 level when I posted. i didn’t try to max out the constellations last time I beat it. Should dig out the ps2 for we <3 sometime soon.

The cowbear level is actually in both

mbt posted:

katamari forever is objectively the best katamari game

I really need to replay that one, X360 is a little harder to set up tho, emulation and physically as well.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars (true ending). Wonderful game. Very solid JRPG fundamentals with fantastic presentation, the tabletop aesthetic was a really neat gimmick, the character and monster art was great, the music didn't blow me away quite as much as the same composer's work on the Nier games overall but the main theme is up there with the best of them. I liked the narrator a lot, he's like the game master so he reads all the events and all character's voice lines, the only VA in the game, which sounds like something that could get old fast but his performance was so good that the gimmick never wore out for me--although once I looked it up and realized it was the same voice actor that does Natsu in the Fairy Tail dub I wasn't ever quite able to unhear it even though he's doing a very different voice lol. It also has an insanely intense final boss fight that I wasn't expecting and is one of my favorite JRPG endboss battles in recent memory. I really can't say enough good things about it, it blew me away. Really excited for the sequel which is somehow coming out in a week.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I finished Boyfriend Dungeon and it was a fun enough like 6 hour ride. I guess I technically have the scythe to do. Might swing back to do that and clean up some extra achievements.

I also finished the Tetris Effect campaign, but that's like a 90ish minute affair. My wife enjoyed the wild audio/visual combo thing going on a lot though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

I finished Boyfriend Dungeon and it was a fun enough like 6 hour ride.

dating apps aren't really a game, OP.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Monster Hunter Rise - Beat the Allmother

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Hitman 2. Still need to do a victory lap and clean up the Hitman 1 levels, but this feels like a huge improvement over the first.

Not sure if it's the engine or the design ethos but it was a lot smoother than I remember the previous game being. The Sniper contracts were a pleasant surprise, just wish there were still people doing matchmaking.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Bicyclops posted:

dating apps aren't really a game, OP.

Hey, it's got a paper thin procedural generated dungeon thing going.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Blue Fire (130%) - Combat is crap but the exploration is good and the platforming is top notch. The DLC has some really cool mario-style one off levels that I was really impressed by. 8/10

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kirby: Star Allies. It was pretty good, the only other Kirby games I've played that I can remember well enough to compare it to are Nightmare in Dream Land and Triple Deluxe and I didn't like it as much as either of those, but it's still a good time. Having a full team of allies with you made the screen so busy it could be hard to keep track of what it's going on and it trivialized most bosses, but being able to combine different powers (some as simple as "add a fire effect to Sword Kirby's sword, some doing entirely new moves and combos) with your allies was cool and I hope they find some way to build on that in the next game somehow.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

the only other Kirby games I've played that I can remember well enough to compare it to are Nightmare in Dream Land and Triple Deluxe and I didn't like it as much as either of those, but it's still a good time.

dude you need to play kirby super star immediately. and planet robobot. in that order.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

also you can combine powers in kirby 64 but i only played it once a hundred years ago and don't remember it too well. it's supposed to get added to the switch online thing sometime, at which point i will play it again

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Thanks for the suggestion. Gonna play some KSS on Switch tonight.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

kss kicks so much rear end

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

7. Yoku's Island Express

This is a cross between pinball and a metroidvania. It's kind of a weird combination and very gimmicky, but it worked well for a short game - I think anything much longer would have outstayed its welcome. It's very cute and has fun colourful environments, I'd say it's worth checking out if any of that sounds at all appealing.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

b_d posted:

also you can combine powers in kirby 64 but i only played it once a hundred years ago and don't remember it too well. it's supposed to get added to the switch online thing sometime, at which point i will play it again

Kirby 64 rules. I'm gonna play it so much when it hits the Switch. I'm also super excited for the one in March.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Aston posted:

7. Yoku's Island Express

This is a cross between pinball and a metroidvania. It's kind of a weird combination and very gimmicky, but it worked well for a short game - I think anything much longer would have outstayed its welcome. It's very cute and has fun colourful environments, I'd say it's worth checking out if any of that sounds at all appealing.

i liked yhis a lot but didnt want to get rhe rest of the collectables after i beat it. fun concept and gameplay though

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Didn't really feel like playing anything in particular today so I just bounced around between a bunch of games that I'd started but not finished, and apparently I was closer to the end than I thought on a few of them--just wrapped up the Destroy All Humans remake too. Gameplay's a bit repetitive and the boss fights kind of blow but there's still some fun to be had, it reminds me of the first Mercenaries game that came out the same year where everything's really fast and frenetic and you're just dashing around madly in the middle of all this chaos. Not all of the humor holds up but I still had some good laughs throughout. If you enjoyed the original 15+ years ago (which I did) it's worth revisiting but on its own merits it's just like a 7/10 sort of game, not bad but won't blow your mind either.

b_d posted:

dude you need to play kirby super star immediately. and planet robobot. in that order.

I bought Planet Robobot a while back and just haven't started it yet, I'll check out Super Star on NSO soon. Thanks for the recommendations :cheers:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

:hai:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I bought Planet Robobot a while back and just haven't started it yet, I'll check out Super Star on NSO soon. Thanks for the recommendations :cheers:

nice.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

b_d posted:

this

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Super Mario RPG. I always wanted to play this because it's the first Mario RPG and it's got the cool art style with the weird 3D prerendered sprites. The combat is simplistic but the game stays engaging with all the minigames it throws in. The characters are funny and lovable, especially Mario, who's a silent protagonist but expresses himself through all these endearing animations. I'd recommend it

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Star Fox 64, the good ending. wondering if i should unlock expert mode

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

French Accent posted:

Star Fox 64, the good ending. wondering if i should unlock expert mode

do it Now

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Returnal (True ending):
2. Katamari Damacy:
3. The Last of Us 2: five stars

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[10] Codename: Viper (NES) 2/13/22

Review:
Not very good, but not the worst game I've ever played on the NES. I really don't have much to say. I'm glad I beat it for gameclub, but I would never play it again lol

5/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Fungah! posted:

i liked yhis a lot but didnt want to get rhe rest of the collectables after i beat it. fun concept and gameplay though

I was the same, I didn't really do any of the side content or collectable hunting. It was just a bit too annoying to navigate the island when you're backtracking.

Also

8. Portal 2 Co-op Campaign

I've played this before around when it came out, but I'd pretty much completely forgotten the solutions at this point. It's still fantastic.