Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Switch port is great. I turned the resolution down to add a little grime.

Only issue I have is that it's weird I cant use the stick to navigate some menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

What's the difference?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Mordja posted:

What's the difference?

Everything. They are entirely different games. Saturn/PS1 is a Metroidvania, and the DOS version was some cheap doom clone made an an early version of Build.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yo Rocket Pan, any chance of subtitles in Powerslave?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yes please

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
BUY POWERSLAVE

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is my one complaint. I think I've understood like 4% of what Ramses has said to me.

Otherwise, it's real good so far.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
subs would be great

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
Glad I'm not the only one hoping for some subtitles. But otherwise superb game, looks good on the Switch and plays nice too.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
"Take the M60 and with it, the blessing of Dakka, lesser-known god of valor and unnecessary overkill."

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Just an FYI, yup we are very aware people would like subtitles. This however came up late in development, and ultimately we decided to hold it back as we work on a generalized solution for subtitles and closed captions in Kex4, rather then putting ourselves in a position where we would have to keep reinventing the support for it each title.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rocket Pan posted:

Just an FYI, yup we are very aware people would like subtitles. This however came up late in development, and ultimately we decided to hold it back as we work on a generalized solution for subtitles and closed captions in Kex4, rather then putting ourselves in a position where we would have to keep reinventing the support for it each title.

That's probably the smart way to do things, yeah

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
Sounds good to me. Would you still need the original script for closed captions, or do you have enough budget to have someone transscribe voiceover lines and such? I've messed up my hearing when I was younger, and have hard time hearing speech over anything. Headphones help, but it feels a bit antisocial, especially if my wife is with me.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

It's out on GOG, it'll land on other platforms over the next couple of hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzaWiD-tjMI

EDIT: The fast-paced three-buck indie Post Void has just been confirmed for a Playstation release this spring. You probably shouldn't play it or watch this trailer if you're sensitive to flashing lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diI9xSR_TrQ

RocketPan, excellent work on Powerslave and congrats on another release! Also, hell yeah to Post Void getting more exposure. More people need to play it (as long as they aren't sensitive to flashing lights) Awesome coffee break game and you can absolutely get into a flow and become one with the game. Also completely doable with a controller, my personal best is with a Xbox controller on the Steam version.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Blood West is absolutely not what I expected, but it's everything I hoped for. Undead Cowboy STALKER is such an interesting and fun combination that I honestly have a hard time putting it down.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Br3instyrm posted:

Sounds good to me. Would you still need the original script for closed captions, or do you have enough budget to have someone transscribe voiceover lines and such? I've messed up my hearing when I was younger, and have hard time hearing speech over anything. Headphones help, but it feels a bit antisocial, especially if my wife is with me.

I don't know if we have the original script, but it wouldn't be much work to transcribe.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

Any chance you can at least boost the volume on the dialogue (or temporarily lower non-dialogue volume while dialogue is playing) as a stopgap measure? The narrator is fine but Ramses is barely audible most of the time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

Any chance you can at least boost the volume on the dialogue (or temporarily lower non-dialogue volume while dialogue is playing) as a stopgap measure? The narrator is fine but Ramses is barely audible most of the time.
Looking at the game files, all the audio for each Ramses scene - music, sounds and voice - is mixed together into a single WAV file. I doubt Night Dive have access to the original recordings (they're probably just using the retail CD files) so their only recourse on that would probably be a bunch of equalizers and prayer.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bW-wjC61E0

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Perfect!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Blood West is absolutely not what I expected, but it's everything I hoped for. Undead Cowboy STALKER is such an interesting and fun combination that I honestly have a hard time putting it down.

It felt way too punishing when I played the demo however many months ago. Like you could end up in a hole and run too low on resources/health if you died a few times (it had a Dark Souls mechanic there, didn't it?), have they smoothed anything down in that respect?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 11, 2022

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Diabetes Forecast posted:

The demo was awful.... did it substantially change since that or?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Rocket Pan posted:

Oh drat you're the Night Dive person? Shadowman Remastered is baller. One of the best remasters I've seen with cut/added content.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
I don't know how it's accomplished, if Night Dive have access to high-res originals or not, but Shadowman Remastered has the most on-point texture repaints I've ever seen. Every texture I've seen matches the original's tone, a claim even the RE4HD project can't make.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played Honey in Quake and that was... weird. The second level was so much easier than the first it was kind of crazy, and didn't have the resource starvation mechanics the first did so I left a bunch of stuff I found behind because I assumed I'd be going through those rooms again but you don't.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Didn’t realise that dynamic lighting from enemy fire was present in the Saturn version of Powerslave, that’s really impressive.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Saturn version of Powerslave was one of those games that felt like it shouldn't have been able to exist, certainly not with the level of quality it had.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The SlaveDriver engine for the Saturn (Powerslave, Duke 3D, Quake) was a work of art and one of those insanely efficient console engines rivaled only by the likes of the PS1 Quake 2/Shadow Master engine.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Lobotomy were exactly as good at wringing every drop of power out of the Saturn as they weren't at business and budgets and general luck-having. Pity their PS1 Quake port never reached escape velocity...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Been having fun with Powerslave: Exhumed. It is a little annoying how vague it can be about where you have to go next. After the third artifact I assumed you had to go to Karnak again and there would be a path from there. But after trying that a walkthrough says it’s actually the Amun mines.

Powerslave EX never worked for me so it’s nice to finally be able to play the game several years later.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yo gently caress Set Palace

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The United States posted:

The SlaveDriver engine for the Saturn (Powerslave, Duke 3D, Quake) was a work of art and one of those insanely efficient console engines rivaled only by the likes of the PS1 Quake 2/Shadow Master engine.

For sure. It's wild what some of the programming Warlocks of the '90s were able to do with the 32 bit consoles.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

It's crazy looking at some of what Powerslave does and realizing that it came out the same year as Quake, on the worst platform for FPS games and 3D in general at the time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ugh, Witchfire (ex-Bulletstorm guys) is going Roguelike, pretty sure it wasn't originally...
https://www.theastronauts.com/2022/01/a-date-a-feature-an-indie-drama-and-the-biggest-qa-yet/

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The more they talk about Witchfire the less excited I become. I don't even remember what it was a few years ago that particularly disappointed me (I think it was around the time they were talking about Souls-like elements? How long ago was that?) but I get the impression that they've gone through a lot of revisions. I cannot imagine that the game they announced all those years ago is anything at all like the game they're working on now.

But man, that first trailer got me hyped.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

catlord posted:

The more they talk about Witchfire the less excited I become. I don't even remember what it was a few years ago that particularly disappointed me (I think it was around the time they were talking about Souls-like elements? How long ago was that?) but I get the impression that they've gone through a lot of revisions. I cannot imagine that the game they announced all those years ago is anything at all like the game they're working on now.

But man, that first trailer got me hyped.

The thing that made me start to side-eye was when they started talking about enemy levels and damage numbers and how much they liked Destiny.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Of you'd like to guarantee I won't buy your game make it rogue in any way

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mordja posted:

The thing that made me start to side-eye was when they started talking about enemy levels and damage numbers and how much they liked Destiny.

I just went back to look (apparently my memory of the entire time is just completely shot, those updates were only in 2019? COVID time has hosed me up) and I think it was the buildup of that rather than any one thing. The frequent defence of damage numbers and health bars is kinda amusing though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Of you'd like to guarantee I won't buy your game make it rogue in any way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dick Marcinko in shambles