Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
For the first time in like 5 years I actually need my birth certificate for something and all I find are tattered remains and some kind of tiny arsehole beetles I have never before seen in my life, It's going to be a ripe pain in the arse to get a replacement and I'll be lucky if I can get one before February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
take pictures of the tiny arsehole beetles and goons can help identify them for you so you can properly expunge them

hopefully you don't have museum beetles or something, but at least you can put some borax down in places in your house/apartment and it'll kill them if they touch it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The battery on my Google Pixel phone has swollen to the point where it has basically blown off the back cover. They've been transferring me around their help queue and my next contact is going to be 'through email sometime' so I'm pretty sure they're going to offer me no assistance or replacement and I just have a kind of lovely bomb I walk around with now until I blow money I don't have on a new one.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

No power, tornado warning, 70 mph winds, 66 degrees, and it's December loving 15 in Iowa.

But climate change is clearly not real :rolleyes:

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016
Been having a poo poo week so far, but then I was pulled into a performance meeting with upper management yesterday. They started off saying, "it's just not working out," and I thought I was getting fired right there, but instead they just demoted me from Service Desk Manager.

They told me my pay would remain the same, but I wouldn't be handling tickets anymore, and I don't have the title. Afterwards, they sent out an email to the company announcing my demotion.

Last night,, I tried to get some sleep but I woke up at 3am from the stress. For a while I had been feeling paranoid about not being part of the big clique of the managers and the long-serving techs, but I told myself it was just paranoia. Turns out I was right.

Now I'm sitting in my office knowing I need to get another job, but I'm so shaken up it's taking everything I have to keep from breaking down. Better still, we're having a big Xmas party tomorrow, so I have to keep it together for that and act like everyone in thr company didn't see me get cut down two days prior. I can't wait.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Me: Yay! I am walking to Blaze Pizza to meet my son for lunch, he just came home from college for Xmas break
Old woman: Merry Christmas!
Me: And a merry Christmas to you too!
Old woman: I guess we are not supposed to say that any more because it is not politically correct.
Me: (Slight pause) I am not going to have that conversation here.
Old woman: ARE YOU A DEMOCARAT?!?!?!
Me: Go Away.

What.
The .
Actual.
gently caress?

I know this is not that bad in the overall scheme of things. But is this a new trend, to actually seek out conflict over the perceived War on Christmas? I can't imagine this was her first time doing this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

The battery on my Google Pixel phone has swollen to the point where it has basically blown off the back cover. They've been transferring me around their help queue and my next contact is going to be 'through email sometime' so I'm pretty sure they're going to offer me no assistance or replacement and I just have a kind of lovely bomb I walk around with now until I blow money I don't have on a new one.

What Pixel is it? I have a Pixel 3, I think, around here somewhere.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Quarantine Day 90. :coronatoot:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Woke up in the middle of a panic attack.

Never happened before.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cowslips Warren posted:

What Pixel is it? I have a Pixel 3, I think, around here somewhere.

It's a 4XL I believe. My wife ordered a battery and assures me it's fairly simple to change one out now that the phone has blown open its cover so we'll see.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Dad's being a dick. Today, of all days.:sigh:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I'm in pretty severe pain, laying in the family guest room. Muscle spasms, doc thought (hoped)it was a strain. It's back. Down one leg. Pinched nerve. Very likely pinched nerve.

I can hear the family we came to visit having fun and eating. I came down to socialize.

Ignored pain. Pain since yesterday.

I hate this holiday to begin with, but really looked forward to seeing everyone.

I'm only in my early 30s. All of this has been an issue since... early high school? Feels unfair, not the end of the world, not as bad as so many others have it, but still unfair. Not to me, nor my spouse, nor the family that saw them half-carry me up here last night. That's the part that makes me so upset.

I just needed to bitch about it, in most of the other places I post online, the people that care for me will be scared. I would rather they have fun.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Period started today; usually I get a few days' warning with light cramps, but nope, heavy flow right from the start.

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
OMG, for some reason the PTB let everyone who knows how to build poo poo go on vacation at the same time. 5 machines due by year's end currently being built by 5 trainees with less than a year's cumulative experience between them and severely incomplete process docs.

Be lucky if they finish 3 machines that work, and I'm a shipping clerk so I can't help much besides simple subassemblies and cutting poo poo up on the band saw. Did those, now what? Repair part shipments are dead right now (very slow), no luck there.

So: just sweeping a billion floors and dusting and putting away stock and sitting on my rear end posting while the newbies are busting theirs and feeling v. frustrated while they are doing so, entertaining jackass sales guys who just felt like driving in from CA to check on progress...

What do they want me to do about it if the machines don't get done?! I'm not going to crate piles of loose components and ship them out for the customers to DIY! Leave me alone, sales guys, go bug my boss instead. :argh:

In short, I disagree with recent scheduling decisions at work and am unhappy about their effects on my work flow and collective morale. I also dislike visits from salesmen and was made to endure one today, to my further displeasure.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Dad's being a dick. Today, of all days.:sigh:

People always seem to manage this. It's like people who can't put their petty family feuds on hold for the duration of a wedding or a funeral.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I got 12 days of noodles for christmas but I opened it to eat today and it's only 3 flavors (a 4 pack of each)! What gives!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I just spent an hour on the phone with my state health insurance trying to get my name changed only for them to repeatedly place me on hold and then tell me they couldn't find the documents I submitted in loving October and hang up on me.

I'm in loving tears now I hate this

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Found out that my new insurance isn't going to pay for my oral surgery because it takes three years for the plan to "mature."

Meaning I'll give them $1,000+ in the first year just to cover two basic cleanings.

gently caress America.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
My brother, who lives with my parents and other brother, tested positive yesterday, 4 days after we were all together with my grandparents, and no one even bothered to tell me

:waycool:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Probably have COVID again, though it’s not anything near as bad as when I had COVID Classic in March/April 2020. Really the only reason I didn’t just think it was allergies was pandemic precautions and some slight body aches.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Whoops, cut the end off my thumb yesterday while cooking dinner.

Just had my knives professionally sharpened as well so can attest to the job they did.

Feel like a bit of a dickhead

*edit - me thumb hurts :saddumb:

Abongination has a new favorite as of 08:11 on Jan 6, 2022

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Technically happened earlier this week but:
My boss is gone.
He's not dead, we just have no loving idea where he is. The only thing his wife said was something about "temporary disability" which I personally am interpreting as "has covid" and for the past week it's been me and the only other two guards assigned to this location to cover every shift. Once I finish tonights, they are on their loving own until next Friday because I am capped on hours and can't go over or it endangers my disability benefits

What a shitshow.

E: the Op Manager had the *gal* to ask me yesterday if I wanted to be the temp supervisor. Me. The part-timer who has no personal transportation and has to get rides. After basically tricking me into a surprise 16 hour shift Thursday/Friday.
I did not accept.

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 04:37 on Jan 9, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for the last day or so I've had a throbbing ache in my teeth. I don't even know which tooth it is, or if it's the top or bottom, that's how wide the area the pain is hovering around is. it's the farmost rear molars, and there's a chance the pain is from the one remaining wisdom tooth I have. it was never extracted alongside the others because the roots are entangled with the main nerve in my jaw, and the dentist said that it'd be better to leave it rather than risk damaging the nerve. it's been a huge annoyance ever since, so it might just be time to have it get shattered into bits and the pieces pulled out, hopefully that would be a safe way to do it.

my teeth loving suck(both from mistreatment as a teen and also possible hereditary conditions) and I want to get all my molars replaced with implants because they're all root canal'd anyways, but that's a pricey procedure. my dentists keep saying "it's better to keep your real teeth, get crowns" but I've seen the ridiculous issues my mom has had with crowns over the years and how expensive they are as well, so I just want to yank all the rear teeth and have implants put in instead. my front teeth are fine, but everything on the side and back are jacked up from me simply not taking care of myself properly when I was a teen, drinking way too much mountain dew every day, not flossing, etc. definitely one of the biggest things I look back on and go "I want to grab my teen self by the collar and just scream BRUSH YOUR loving TEETH, FLOSS, loving TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF PROPERLY IDIOT in my face"

wish I'd had a waterpik as a kid, that poo poo is a godsend.

really the only good thing about this dental pain right now is that I went to call my dentist and realized I have an appointment literally first thing tomorrow morning, so that's convenient. just about the best case scenario for this would be it being an issue with unlevel teeth and just being soreness from grinding(despite using a mouthguard), and I can have them grind the filling down a little to make it less stressful on the teeth back there, eliminating the soreness. hopefully. I hope. worst case scenario would be the pain being from a fracture in one of the molars and it being infected, which happened to me a decade ago and was the worst pain I've ever had in my entire life, worse than a torsion. a rear molar split in half straight down the middle, leaving an open-air hole straight to the jawbone, I had to be driven to the dentist because I was so delirious from the pain I could not drive myself, and apparently tried to knock myself out multiple times to stop the pain, though I don't remember that. they did that air puff thing in my mouth and I straight up blacked out. tooth/eye pain are the only types of pain I can't endure, I hate it

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Yesterday I was driving home and saw something brown and furry and stripey on the side of the road and went, "That was a cat," but by then I'd already driven two blocks. I drove around the block and parked and got a baby blanket out of my car. He was a big beautiful tabby boy with white feet and a white blaze on his nose, still perfect except a big wound to the side of his head. I don't think he suffered. No collar, but obviously not a stray.

I took a couple pictures, one of his body with his head covered, and one of his face with as much of the wound blocked out as I could, and wrapped him up and took him to the cat shelter where I volunteer. We scanned him for a chip and he didn't have one, so I took him to the vet the shelter works with to be sent for cremation.

I posted about him in the neighborhood facebook group and the citywide lost and found pets group, but no one knew anything (except one who said he'd been there for over a day). This weekend I might make a couple signs and post near the intersection where I found him, just saying FOUND CAT and then a couple details and my number to contact to confirm.

It just sucks. I did what I could for him, what I'd want someone to do for me if they found my cat, but as far as his people know, he just vanished.

I wish people would keep their cats inside.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I work for a small, local IT company, less than 100 employees.

At the start of October, we were informed that we were sold/acquired by a large, multi-national IT/computing company. Not going to say the name, but it's quite large and pretty much everyone knows of them.

So now we're all in a state of limbo not knowing who will or won't be let go (we all have assurances to at LEAST Jan 1...woo,) plus just the whole rigmarole of switching benefits, etc..

We've barely gotten any info the past month, only a tiny bit about their health plans and 401(k) but still not ENOUGH info, and open enrollment starts in a week and most of is still don't have access to the benefits website.

I'm already looking around for a new job, but IDK, I've applied to a few the past year or so and none have gone anywhere past an interview, so I guess I'm just a lousy candidate?

As an update, things are still poo poo.

We officially moved over to all of their systems (HR, benefits, insurance, payroll, etc...) Jan 1. Today was supposed to be our first paychecks and like 80% of us did not get them deposited.

I'll be fine if it takes a while to post, even several weeks, honestly. But for all I know there ARE people that work here who are paycheck to paycheck, or just have auto-debits and transfers set up expecting that deposit. Not everyone uses the account their paycheck goes to as their main account, so it might get overdrawn if it's "expecting" a paycheck.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My mom and I are leaving on a long-awaited, much-delayed trip Friday morning and just discovered that the beautiful box of KF94s we bought in preparation is counterfeit poo poo that has something like a 24 percent filtration rate. I found one good alternative (in a bad color, but beggars, choosers, etc.) that Amazon said they could Prime me overnight, except that the delivery date changed to Friday the second I clicked that loving Order button. gently caress

e: and the drugstore three miles down the road that has good masks in stock (per their Website) does not. gently caress

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 02:49 on Jan 20, 2022

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Dad went to the hospital with back pains and low sodium (2nd time for this) on Tuesday, they found a broken bone in his back, a loving 6 inch blood clot and a ton of liquid in his lungs, they wanted to transfer him elsewhere to do surgery but lmao beds are full so it's just some medicine, they drained some liquid and he seems to be doing better today at least but he's absolutely not out of the woods yet.

But man, gently caress anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers, you selfish assholes are killing so many people and mentally damaging so many more.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Furnace broke down, cost a cool grand to fix. At least they were able to come out on the spot and replace all the parts needing doing right now, right before the storm this weekend, that's a positive aspect of this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
one of my favorite magic: the gathering artists, Seb McKinnon, just exposed himself as an anti-vaxxer and nazi-adjacent-at-minimum piece of human poo poo, and it's bumming me out

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Covid Round Four! Yay! Or something. I need to learn more swear words, now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mom has had an open wound on her big toe for over a month now, and it's finally almost healed, after daily redressings with this really expensive but really effective wound dressing. it was one layer away from reaching the bone, she didn't notice it because she is diabetic and has neuropathy so she can't feel her feet. they almost had to amputate her toe and/or foot. it's finally in a decent state now, but today she found two large blisters on her other foot, which are likely due to the overreliance on that foot while keeping weight off her initially injured foot. and if nothing else, the wounded toe will likely need surgery to re-set the bone because it was caused by the bone being curled downward, irritating the skin of the toe from pressure whenever she stepped on it. just lots of Foot Problems

diabetes and neuropathy suck

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Detheros posted:

Dad went to the hospital with back pains and low sodium (2nd time for this) on Tuesday, they found a broken bone in his back, a loving 6 inch blood clot and a ton of liquid in his lungs, they wanted to transfer him elsewhere to do surgery but lmao beds are full so it's just some medicine, they drained some liquid and he seems to be doing better today at least but he's absolutely not out of the woods yet.

But man, gently caress anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers, you selfish assholes are killing so many people and mentally damaging so many more.

Watched him die today, turns out it was cancer, 55 years old.

gently caress cancer.

Detheros has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Feb 11, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
jesus dude, my condolences. I hope you at least got to say goodbye. I didn't get a chance to with my stepdad and it's eaten at me so much.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gently caress, I'm sorry.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

So, after hearing the good news that my mum had her last radio-therapy session for oesophageal cancer today.

We get the news that my brother's mother-in-law, who lives interstate, has had a fall and has been hospitalized and is severely anemic and dehydrated because she hasn't been looking after herself since her husband died a year ago, (she looked a bit frail at Christmas but apparently it has gotten worse.) And when in hospital, they did some scans and found out she has lung cancer.

So my brother and his wife are driving 8 hours interstate to pick her up from the country hospital she is now in, to bring her back down to their place so she can get cancer treatment here in a bigger city. (And possibly/probably get put into an old persons home.)

This sucks for so many reasons. My niece who recently had to deal with the death of one of her grand parents from cancer, now has two other grandparents diagnosed with cancer so soon. Also my sister in law doesn't have the best of relationships with her mother, and her brother lives in a different state entirely and is such an arsehole to be less than no help. So she now has to deal with the stress of getting her stubborn, but frail and unable to take care of herself, mother into a home/hospital with no help from her siblings. With all the paperwork and hassle that that entails.

None of it's fun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Immense tooth pain the day before I have a dentist appointment for said area where the pain is in, likely due to the last wisdom tooth I have

Went from a dull ache when I went to bed to a full blown thudding pulse of pain in my jaw. loving teeth, man. Hopefully I can pull for implants tomorrow and be done with my horrible teeth once and for all

Edit: lmao I took some liquid oxycodone to help and it didn't even make the pain go away entirely. Impressive

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Feb 15, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah good, I could still feel it when I woke up, took a picture of my mouth with my phone to see what I could see, and the single tooth on my bottom right side that isn't root canal'd has a hole in it from apparently where a chunk of filling came out of. Cool cool cool

I guess maybe the dental surgeon can maybe jam something in there for the moment until I can either have it ripped out or refilled properly. gently caress

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Tooth pain is my favorite pain.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh definitely. My favorite pain to make me want to just tear my jaw off.

Turns out the hole in the tooth is nothing, just a chipped filling, and the pain is coming from the rear molar being aggravated by the impacted wisdom tooth, which has compromised it's structure so both it and the wisdom tooth need to be removed. At least it's not coming from a third tooth, and at least they were able to get me in for an appointment to extract them asap.

I'm just wary of sedatives. Dunno when I developed that fear, but being put unconscious not by my own doing (like sleep) deeply unnerves me now for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I killed my cat today.

she was sick and it was time and she had a good life

And, if given the choice, I would kill her again. Maybe a few days earlier.

But it still sucks.

gently caress kidneys.