Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Baronash posted:

Yep, though mostly A/V and photography equipment rather than computers. I always appreciate how they seem to take product organization on their website seriously. So many electronics retailers are a total shitshow when it comes to trying to use filtering and search.

Yeah me too but I noticed they're branching into other electronics too and I've had fine experiences with them, so maybe they're the new "good guy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

Do any of you buy from B&H?

I’ve been to their physical store twice (pre pandemic) and it’s a fuckin shitshow. The stuff that I wanted I had to get a ticket for, wait on line to pay, then wait on another line to have the stuff picked and put in bags to check out with. They didn’t have everything I wanted even though the person I was with checked their inventory and printed a pull ticket.

The one time I ordered from them online during the pandemic they cancelled it the next day saying they were sold out of the items I ordered.

Never again with B&H. Their inventory system seems to be broke.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hmm that sucks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

To counteract that one goon's anecdotal experience, I'll say my own experiences have been good. I ordered a monitor from them, then had them change the order to a different monitor, and they were polite and accommodating and everything went without a hitch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I respect any online store that actually observes holidays and gives their staff vacations.

Thats not B&H then, with their racially segregated bathrooms and discrimination against non-Jewish employees. Their history of labour complaints and lawsuits is pretty unpleasant.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I'm sure it was just bad luck that when they laid off 400 employees due to COVID, every single one was non-Hasidic

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Subjunctive posted:

Thats not B&H then, with their racially segregated bathrooms and discrimination against non-Jewish employees. Their history of labour complaints and lawsuits is pretty unpleasant.

Yeah this is why I don't shop at B&H.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
It's pretty unfortunate that when it comes to customer service and not being outrageously racist, Amazon of all companies comes out on top. The bar isn't high at all.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, well, I didn't know about all of that. Yikes.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Okay, well, I didn't know about all of that. Yikes.

Yeah B&H is run by NYC hasids. If you’re curious how they typically treat people and want a fun rabbit hole to dive into.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
good thing linus raced to defend these chumps before video #2 came out showing they're even worse than we first thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL-eB_Bv5Ik

Description posted:

Newegg sold us a motherboard that they knew was damaged. It was even labeled as such and Newegg themselves had started to RMA it, but then they blamed us for the damage.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So the board sent to GN originally was broken, after Newegg refused to pay $100 to Gigabyte (which was recorded in Gigabyte's service history for the item) for it to be repaired, then they just sold it on as an open box item. loving amazing. It even still had a Gigabyte RMA label on it from when Newegg sent it in for repair saying the CPU socket is broken so whoever bought that board would presumably see that label and know the socket was broken immediately and be blamed for braking it no matter what.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 11, 2022

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i appreciate the irony of GN getting a lot of mileage out of of those gigabyte PSUs having less than ideal short protection, but gigabyte immediately goes "oh yeah, here's what's up" with the motherboard lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's incredible, Gigabyte just sending over the RMA history

$100 repair charge to swap a socket is a decent price

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Oh wow that is way worse than I thought, newegg really is running a scam on open box buyers.

a 30 second summary of that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm surprised Steve didn't mention the most blatantly scammy part: The return processor responsible for checking the product after Steve returned it must have seen the RMA sticker but decided to ignore it and blame Steve for the damage anyway. There is no charitable interpretation of this. It's just an outright malicious scam. I would not be surprised if Newegg had internal quotas where x number of returns must be denied just to save on those costs. Or perhaps more likely, some department managers are punished if they exceed x number of returns, thus incentivizing the denial of returns.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 11, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kliras posted:

good thing linus raced to defend these chumps before video #2 came out showing they're even worse than we first thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL-eB_Bv5Ik

I think this is what the kids call "jebaited"

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
That's a better followup that I could have ever hoped for. Excited to see what happens next.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
LMAO at the RMA sticker still being on it. Couldn't even cover their tracks for their scam.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

That's incredible, Gigabyte just sending over the RMA history

$100 repair charge to swap a socket is a decent price

It’s got to involve some fine work to remove the socket, replace it with another one, and check it’s working fine. I’m serious, $100 is a fair cost for that imo (not that the socket itself or original manufacturing is $100 total).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm surprised Steve didn't mention the most blatantly scammy part: The return processor responsible for checking the product after Steve returned it must have seen the RMA sticker but decided to ignore it and blame Steve for the damage anyway. There is no charitable interpretation of this. It's just an outright malicious scam. I would not be surprised if Newegg had internal quotas where x number of returns must be denied just to save on those costs. Or perhaps more likely, certain department managers are punished if they exceed x number of returns, thus incentivizing the denial of returns.

It's also possible Newegg didn't even open it before denying the return. That might be even worse.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Yeah B&H is run by NYC hasids. If you’re curious how they typically treat people and want a fun rabbit hole to dive into.

I just read a couple articles and welp, they're trash.

Amazon has dodgy business practices to say the least. Newegg isn't trustworthy. B&H is trash. I don't particularly want to give Best Buy my money. I don't have a Micro Center anywhere near me. Yay.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
It's incredibly pathetic how Newegg is still yet to comment on the whole situation and only want to privately solve it with GN like that's going to help at this point anymore. Just incredible cowardice.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
The laughs don't stop.

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1491994322094469128?cxt=HHwWkMC59cq70LQpAAAA

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Rip Newegg

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
"We have decided to sack our cheap outsourced support/RMA department and switch to an even cheaper outsourced department because they were obviously the problem. Also we are now implementing a blockchain for our tickets"

- Newegg probably

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Steve is such a gem. Just so much integrity. I think the best thing that ever happened in terms of the quality of his content was him clearly losing any genuine interest in PC gaming/PC building which meant he could treat it like a job and not be bowled over by (and responsible for generating) hype. Meanwhile you have the LTT channel thumbnails with pictures of people's eyes popping out of their heads because DDR5 has marginal speed gains over DDR4 in benchmark scenarios with no actual use case equivalent. Or Jay's channel which is just pure "bullied at school but now I own my own home" energy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know where to put tech news that doesn't fall into the CPU and GPU threads:

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1492106402751520775

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's an SSD thread. Probably also good for the PC building thread.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jeff Fatwood posted:

"We have decided to sack our cheap outsourced support/RMA department and switch to an even cheaper outsourced department because they were obviously the problem. Also we are now implementing a blockchain for our tickets"

- Newegg probably

We are adding a box that tells us how many subs your YwitchTube gets and will try to avoid ripping you off if you are popular.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I'm surprised Steve didn't mention the most blatantly scammy part: The return processor responsible for checking the product after Steve returned it must have seen the RMA sticker but decided to ignore it and blame Steve for the damage anyway. There is no charitable interpretation of this. It's just an outright malicious scam. I would not be surprised if Newegg had internal quotas where x number of returns must be denied just to save on those costs. Or perhaps more likely, some department managers are punished if they exceed x number of returns, thus incentivizing the denial of returns.

This, man.

They had to open the box to know the pins were bent. Because they never would have guessed the issue there.

Which means there’s only three possibilities.

Newegg RMA read the gigabyte RMA sticker and decided to scam Steve and hoped they would get away with it.

Neweggs RMA team just ignored the sticker and didn’t read it, which is insane.

Neweggs RMA dudes literally are incapable of reading.

It’s absolutely insane that this happened. And just probability math of it happening to someone with a platform means it’s probably happened hundreds of times to normal people.

Also GN loves to go in deeper and deeper when companies try to hide poo poo. Newegg should just make changes to RMA, publicly apologize, and announce their RMA changes and this would be over. GN is gonna rail them for weeks with this.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

They had to open the box to know the pins were bent. Because they never would have guessed the issue there.

Given the "thermal pate" comments, I wouldn't be so sure they didn't just assume it was broken pins because that's probably the #1 motherboard failure/return reason anyway and then toss it on a shelf without even looking.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Either way it boils down to whether Newegg will just keep digging, or post a mea culpa. Given the history with MSI, NZXT, and Gigabyte, I'd say we've got some piping hot content coming our way.

Which seems like opposite day given that GN now has a reputation for swinging at large companies doing shady poo poo because of the relative independence of the GN brand, but... lol I guess?

Steve made it abundantly clear in the MSI debacle that they can afford to refuse review samples and alienate corporate PR teams because they have the money--thanks to their viewer base buying merch--to not rely on things like review samples to do their job.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 11, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm amazed that they didn't open the board up when it had become a media issue and take the Gigabyte RMA sticker off, but competence doesn't seem to be that abundant

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

huh so that's where :piss: came from

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm amazed that they didn't open the board up when it had become a media issue and take the Gigabyte RMA sticker off, but competence doesn't seem to be that abundant

I'm pretty sure the videos are all going up with a substantial time lag. It's weird to follow because Steve's talking in present tense as events are unfolding, but then holding that footage for a bit. Probably both because post-production takes time, and also to wait and make sure they don't gently caress up. As much as going nuclear on a bad company is great for views and reputation, it's also a legal risk for GN if they're wrong.

So first Steve tweeted about it and Newegg rushed to 'make good' by both refunding him and finding the mobo* to send back to him, obviously without looking closely inside. Bad move, but they were just reacting to a tweet at that point.

So GN didn't put up the first video until that was resolved and the box was being sent back to him / in his possession. Between then and now he's been doing his investigative journalism thing to figure out WTF was up with that sticker.

*presumably the same mobo they sent GN the first time, but who knows? maybe they'd already lost the real mobo, and just pulled a broken one with socket damage to send him!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah he said at the beginning of part 2 it was being filmed 6 hours after part 1 went up. So, it was too late for damage control.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
thanks algorithm

e: the video's fine; however, the caveat is that "this is how RMAs used to work at newegg 15 years ago" and nominally describes an RMA process that isn't playing hot potato with a $500 motherboard and shipping poo poo with a manufacturer RMA sticker on it.

Phone fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 11, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Phone posted:

thanks algorithm

e: the video's fine; however, the caveat is that "this is how RMAs used to work at newegg 15 years ago" and nominally describes an RMA process that isn't playing hot potato with a $500 motherboard and shipping poo poo with a manufacturer RMA sticker on it.
That's the most tepid of takes, because of course the RMA process works when companies aren't incompetent or malicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Man, the way everyone referred to it as a sticker, I was expecting some small "rma#88199 - inspected by worker#4481" kinda thing that wouldn't be any larger than a business card. Then I watched the video. That thing is completely impossible to miss. It's really hard to articulate a sequence of events here where at least one person didn't consciously go "eh, gently caress it".

The only one I can come up with is (1) a board comes back from Gigabyte and is mistakenly treated as repaired when it wasn't, and (2) the RMA tech handling the return assumed the board had gone out to and come back from Gigabyte after being returned by GN, and (3) despite how haphazard a process would have to be for those outcomes to even be possible, nobody ever noticed any systemic issue. ...yeah, that's too much of a stretch.

Klyith posted:

*presumably the same mobo they sent GN the first time, but who knows? maybe they'd already lost the real mobo, and just pulled a broken one with socket damage to send him!

The flecks of thermal paste he did spot, combined with that being part of the round-and-round with the service reps seem weigh in favor of it being the same board that some RMA tech saw, at least. It kinda comes across like a flowchart/checklist issue. Spotted damage -> spotted sign of use -> assume customer damaged during use, claim rejected, and that's what shows up in documentation that the service rep is seeing.