Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Twitter is so mad about this one dude’s little spin and it isn’t even among the top 50 issues this loving show had.

This fandom is so loving stupid and reactionary now.

Seriously, characters do dumb little moves like that all the time.

What offends me more is that the mods (the premier rebel biker gang in Mos Espa) are so clean, polite and posh. They're clearly in Tatooine on a gap year funded by mummy and daddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

IMO Bobba Fett was a real first-draft of a show that would have been great after several passes and revisions.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Twitter is so mad about this one dude’s little spin and it isn’t even among the top 50 issues this loving show had.

This fandom is so loving stupid and reactionary now.

fatherboxx posted:

Motion smoothing in that gif offends me
No motion smoothing makes a huge difference
https://twitter.com/multivexo/status/1491725679532331008

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The editing in the second video is much better and he's spinning around to hit someone behind him without his arm hitting Boba.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 11, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The mods ride bright gaudy speeders and replace bits of themselves with flashy metal bits. They clearly value style over substance and that dude’s just living his best life in that spirit.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Owlbear Camus posted:

Grogu's return to Din feels less like a "status quo" thing because both characters discovered something: their bond was more important than Din's quest was to Din and Grogu's "Jedi destiny" was to Grogu. They rejected that call to return to each other. Where they go with could be interesting or boring, but I'd argue that Din getting him to Skywalker wasn't a wasted development as it stands.
Agreed.

This gave Grogu agency of his own. Up until then, it was not his choice to be "returned" to the Jedi. Luke powerfully gave him that opportunity to decide on his own.

And if we're going to unfortunately go with the Luke we saw in the sequels, this series continues to help props them up by showing Luke abandoning his lesson about attachments and going with previous Jedi dogma.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cheesus posted:

This gave Grogu agency of his own. Up until then, it was not his choice to be "returned" to the Jedi. Luke powerfully gave him that opportunity to decide on his own.

I'm half expecting Luke to turn up in S3 and say 'that was a test and you passed by choosing to help your friend, just like I did all those years ago (because you totally knew Mando was in danger, right)?'.

That or they'll try to find someone to continue teaching him the force without imposing the whole weird cult thing on him. Oh hey maybe that BD unit Mando met on Tatooine knows someone?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

stev posted:

I'm half expecting Luke to turn up in S3 and say 'that was a test and you passed by choosing to help your friend, just like I did all those years ago (because you totally knew Mando was in danger, right)?'.
I don't think it would be wrong if after Grogu hangs around Mando for awhile, he's able to resolve his Order 66 trauma and goes back to Luke to continue training.

Or goes to a similarly evolved Ahsoka.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FogHelmut posted:

I just want a Cobb Vanth spinoff that's literally a shot for shot remake of Justified but set on Tatooine.

Who would Walton Goggins play?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Who would Walton Goggins play?

An ex-Imperial psuedo human-supermacist who wants to get paid and blow poo poo up. He worked with Cobb at Kessel when they dug spice together.

I'm really looking forward to them bringing in Margo Martindale, Kaitlyn Dever and Damon Harrimon as Space Dewey Crowe.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Book of Boba Fett (1985 edition)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The follow up to Star Storm: The Destruction of Father that nobody asked for. A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
holy poo poo they never got back to the wate vendor. Why hire that actor for such an insignificant part.

I 100% thought he was going to lead a popular reovlt against boba or betray him or something. They just showed him seething for nothing.

Another of boba's poorly thought plans that had no consequences. "charge less for water" "okay"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. Nemo posted:

holy poo poo they never got back to the wate vendor. Why hire that actor for such an insignificant part.

I 100% thought he was going to lead a popular reovlt against boba or betray him or something. They just showed him seething for nothing.

Another of boba's poorly thought plans that had no consequences. "charge less for water" "okay"

That feels like something that was cut late on. The dude had a character poster apparently!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The back half of the show got replaced by a different show.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Have you heard about a little mom-and-pop operation called Dutch East India Company?

As I recall, the guys on the end where "sell me the nutmeg or I'll depopulate this entire island" happened did try to outlaw things.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr. Nemo posted:

"Excuse me sir? I ordered a bunch of dead hipster mods and the hipster mods are still very much alive. Sir? I...could have this entire town condemned...put strychnine in the water supply..."

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

stev posted:

That feels like something that was cut late on. The dude had a character poster apparently!

They did indeed cut the subplot where he was smuggling knock off Swinglines from Corellia which were also critical to mod survival.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

The back half of the show got replaced by a different show.

It absolutely feels like they had the Book of Boba Fett season all mapped out with a proper story and character arcs, then were approached by the story group and told "Mmmh, we have sort of a problem here. We just broke the story for Mandolorian season 3 and we don't have room to get Din and Grogu back together. Since Mando is our big hit, we're gonna go ahead and need you to dedicate 3 episodes to that kay? Yeaaah, that would be greeaat..." then had to take a hacksaw to what they'd already laid out.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 11, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

feedmyleg posted:

It absolutely feels like they had the Book of Boba Fett season all mapped out with a proper story and character arcs, then were approached by the story group and told "Mmmh, we have sort of a problem here. We just broke the story for Mandolorian season 3 and we don't have room to get Din and Grogu back together. Since Mando is our big hit, we're gonna go ahead and need you to dedicate 3 episodes to that kay? Yeaaah, that would be greeaat..." then had to take a hacksaw to what they'd already laid out.

I had the opposite feeling like they were all "gently caress we only have the basics of a plot here and some cool Tuscan flashbacks, can we throw in some Mando season 3 stuff as filler?"

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the water thing with stephen root was the whole point. he wasn't supposed to be some machiavellian schemer, he was just some lovely small business tyrant trying to leverage the state's power against the locals he was ripping off. that probably always worked in the past under Bib or Jabba. boba says gently caress off and stands with the workers.

i dunno, not everything has to be a whole arc right now. it's just a little scene of characterization to show what makes Boba's principles and rule distinct from the ones in the past, and why the people would eventually acknowledge that and follow him.

maybe they did need more of those scenes. I thought it was very straightforward but it seems like it whiffed over a lot of peoples heads, who like Cad Bane kept waiting for some "angle" of Fett's to materialize.

anyway its Stephen root you cast him in a fun little cameo because he's memorable. maybe if they continue Fett's storyline you could have him and the other petite bourgeois assholes attempting to undermine him because he's hurt their margins. and people go "oh yeah, I remember him from season 1, the guy Stephen root played, right"

im sure we'll be back to Tatooine plenty since they're setting up something with Vanth there, and of course we gotta check in with Amy Sedaris regularly. we'll never leave that dumb planet

I liked Cad Bane's usage here actually. I thought having a character, who basically represents Fett's past, show up to be his ultimate foe was a fun choice. To have him just straight up not comprehend that maybe the dude is just old, sad, tired, and ready to go semi-straight. And then to have him monologue about self-reliance and callous individualism and poo poo, only to get wrecked by the new poo poo Fett's learned from his embrace of communal living.

it summed up the central connecting theme of the entire season, Mando 2.5 episodes included, which was attachments, solidarity and community vs. individualism, self-interest, and self-reliance. That convo between Mando and the Armorer about the Jedi Way vs their Way was a nice little thesis statement 👌

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I'm getting the vibe from all the speculation here that Disney+ is basically like every other tech-economy entertainment company where the perceived need for constant new content overrides any concern about quality.

Move fast and break things and if people complain later, we'll just count our money and see if it's worth fixing then.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think you will find that the show is actually about family, and that's what makes it so powerful.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I really enjoyed a couple more explicit space western tropes in the last episode:

The "shooting the horse pulling the escaping wagon so it crashes" with Amy Sedaris's chariot thing (which we actually already saw in the episode with Din escaping Greef's goons on Navarro)

and "bad guy gets shot from a perched position and falls into a horse watering trough/barrels." I was honestly surprised they didn't lampshade it more by having a ronto or something hitched to a post nearby.

Arc Hammer posted:

The follow up to Star Storm: The Destruction of Father that nobody asked for. A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

This went on too long but it's great.

Also I'm pretty sure Matthew Wood played Bib?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Hazo posted:

I really enjoyed a couple more explicit space western tropes in the last episode:

The "shooting the horse pulling the escaping wagon so it crashes" with Amy Sedaris's chariot thing (which we actually already saw in the episode with Din escaping Greef's goons on Navarro)

and "bad guy gets shot from a perched position and falls into a horse watering trough/barrels." I was honestly surprised they didn't lampshade it more by having a ronto or something hitched to a post nearby.

This went on too long but it's great.

Also I'm pretty sure Matthew Wood played Bib?

I liked when the guy fell and got lit the gently caress up by both Mando and boba on his way down. just gently caress that guy in particular

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The water barrel moment was great. It felt like I was watching a Wild West Stunt Spectacular.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Arc Hammer posted:

I think you will find that the show is actually about family, and that's what makes it so powerful.

Vin Diesel, but with Yoda ears.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I’m glad they put in a good Wilhelm Scream.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

you can have any milk you want, as long as it's blue

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

this owned

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

The water barrel moment was great. It felt like I was watching a Wild West Stunt Spectacular.

oh man now there's something rattling some memories deeeeeeeeeeep in the back of my noggin wowowow

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mandrel posted:

I liked when the guy fell and got lit the gently caress up by both Mando and boba on his way down. just gently caress that guy in particular

lol that was good

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Smythe posted:

oh man now there's something rattling some memories deeeeeeeeeeep in the back of my noggin wowowow

These memories?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--AJbVBI0uY

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol yes exactly! i musta seen the one at universal studios hollywood 20 times as a kid. the A1 on my last show worked on the waterworld one that replaced it!! small world!!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I would legit love a Star Wars version of Wild Wild West.

Some rear end in a top hat Imp remnant guy with a grudge gets a bunch of other Imp assholes together and builds an 8-legged AT-AT those World Destroyers from the old EU that *insert characters here* have to find and take down.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Put it on literally any other planet in the galaxy besides Tatooine and I'm in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjahedgehog posted:

Put it on literally any other planet in the galaxy besides Tatooine and I'm in.

Unfortunately the only other planets that will let us film on location are Jakku, Arvala-7 and Geonosis.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

honestly the more weird dumb EU poo poo they adapt the better as far as im concerned. I'm in that weird generational slot where that, along with the prequels and the 90s/early 00s video games are what Star Wars is to me

give me big planet sized lightsabers, bug Demolition Man mind orgies, lightsaber whips, clone cancer. give me Luuke and Ahsooka, Kyle Katarn and the Valley of the Jedi. give me weird BDSM alien colonizers from the Unknown Regions. give me Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now with Mace Windu and Kar Vastor. give me loving Mara Jade. or just give me new poo poo that captures that same weird creativity/borrowing from other genres. like people hate the mods but I love them, I like that there's just cyberpunk 2077 teens around with their own little import culture of weird scooters

Mando and BOBF have both felt very EU to me not just in references but just in overall style and vibes. a mixture of kind of dark stuff with weird gross stuff and cartoony poo poo.

like Grogu adorably eating that frog lady's children right before awakening a cave full of horrible Alien spider monsters is right in the loving pocket for me

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
New nature doc just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psxqpkwXAX4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Show me more Naboo if we have to stick to established planets. Swampy Forest Italy would be a welcome change from all this goddamn sand.