Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the only personality test i have done was for a job at abn amro in amsterdam. swedes were waterboarding me with literal repeated classical iq tests

you've probably interviewed a lot more than I have but I've only had one Swedish company that I can recall give me an iq test (Klarna). a different smaller company made me take a personality test tho, which was v lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
I interview for a Large Swedish Company and it was 7+ interviews of which 3 were handled by a group executive research firm and included iq tests, behavioral tests and, to top it off, a drug test.

the job was hot garbage (which I suspected), but it cut my commute from hours to minutes and let me pivot into freelance contracting smoothly, so thanks, lovely employer, I guess?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kernel Sanders posted:

I interview for a Large Swedish Company and it was 7+ interviews of which 3 were handled by a group executive research firm and included iq tests, behavioral tests and, to top it off, a drug test.

the job was hot garbage (which I suspected), but it cut my commute from hours to minutes and let me pivot into freelance contracting smoothly, so thanks, lovely employer, I guess?

all is well that ends well

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo
I had to do a personality test for my current job which basically painted me as a giant sperg. During the interviews I described that yes, my biggest improvement areas have been what the test pointed at and here's how I improved at them. And then during the first yearly evaluation my boss mentioned how surprised they were that I wasn't at all as spergy as the tests indicated... It's like they just ignored the whole part of the interviews where I described how I'd gotten better at things that don't come naturally to me. :sigh:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Just wanted to say: Interviewing is still and continues to be garbage. Here's an interesting one from the grey forums:

Oakey posted:

Interviewing is such a crapshoot. I had a former report interview for a position at my next job, and they just absolutely bombed the interview. I know they're a good engineer, our job together was one where I was a line manager and had time to review people's work and give feedback. I had to call and be like 'I know you're a better engineer than what that interview showed but I can't hire you based on this.'

"yeah I know you can do your job well but I'm not gonna hire you even though I know you absolutely can do this job with no doubt in my mind"

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
I mean, if anyone else witnessed the interview, op is going have to convince a bunch of other people that “no, no, he just seems slow, but really he’s not”.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TheFluff posted:

you've probably interviewed a lot more than I have but I've only had one Swedish company that I can recall give me an iq test (Klarna). a different smaller company made me take a personality test tho, which was v lmao

klarna didn’t believe my iq test and had me redo a different iq test in a video call with hr supervisor

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
from what I hear klarna (in Stockholm) has amazon level bad culture. the ceo went out and said publicly “don’t come to us if you want work-life balance”, lol.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kernel Sanders posted:

from what I hear klarna (in Stockholm) has amazon level bad culture. the ceo went out and said publicly “don’t come to us if you want work-life balance”, lol.

lmao, at least they're clear about being a poo poo place to work

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

champagne posting posted:

Just wanted to say: Interviewing is still and continues to be garbage. Here's an interesting one from the grey forums:

"yeah I know you can do your job well but I'm not gonna hire you even though I know you absolutely can do this job with no doubt in my mind"

Convincing people in a large org to change their mind requires political capital. How much good will do you want to spend for someone who didn't make good choices? If there was ever a time someone needs to be their own advocate and exert their own agency, it is an interview.

Plus, maybe he was a good employee BUT...[insert list of reasons why he could've gotten the job and performed with a good interview but was a borderline candidate otherwise: location, experience, salary, etc.]

IME for each job req ~5% of applicants are strong candidates, maybe ~20% could possibly do the job based on resume and phone interview.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 9, 2022

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

interviewing is garbage anecdote: about six months ago we were trying to hire a new architect. we ended up hiring one of the guys i gave a thumbs down too. turns out he’s a drat good architect!!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

love coming up with answers to what i was asked during a screen while de-briefing with my wife minutes after i get off a call.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

PIZZA.BAT posted:

interviewing is garbage anecdote: about six months ago we were trying to hire a new architect. we ended up hiring one of the guys i gave a thumbs down too. turns out he’s a drat good architect!!

what made you say no?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

my homie dhall posted:

what made you say no?

i asked him about what emerging technologies he was excited about and keeping an eye on and he answered blockchain

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
that's when you press further, what about blockchain? describe the technical aspects that interest you, and how do you think this could help our company?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

DELETE CASCADE posted:

that's when you press further, what about blockchain? describe the technical aspects that interest you, and how do you think this could help our company?

yup i wanted to do this but someone else stepped in and by the time i could butt in again we were out of time

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż interviewing is garbage!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yup i wanted to do this but someone else stepped in and by the time i could butt in again we were out of time

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż interviewing is garbage!

maybe he just likes drugs

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

to be fair i don't blame you for rejecting him on that answer alone

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

qhat posted:

to be fair i don't blame you for rejecting him on that answer alone

i do tho

why would you reject someone for something unrelated to doing the work or working with them

but my first hires were trash, interviewing takes experience and sounds like lesson learned for the Pizza Batch File

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CarForumPoster posted:

i do tho

why would you reject someone for something unrelated to doing the work or working with them

but my first hires were trash, interviewing takes experience and sounds like lesson learned for the Pizza Batch File

blockchains are nothing but grift and scams and I don't want someone who lacks the critical thinking skills to figure it out or someone who thinks that perpetrating it on people is a good idea

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i am absolutely not ashamed at all to discriminate against anybody who thinks blockchain is a cool or useful idea

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Captain Foo posted:

blockchains are nothing but grift and scams and I don't want someone who lacks the critical thinking skills to figure it out or someone who thinks that perpetrating it on people is a good idea

What are you going to do, only hire devs with no blind spots?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Captain Foo posted:

qhat posted:

i am absolutely not ashamed at all to discriminate against anybody who thinks blockchain is a cool or useful idea

I also do not care for or about ~the blockchain~ but it's probably best not to have arbitrary hiring requirements. I do care about that. If the job aint about blockchain, then its an arbitrary reason to pass on an otherwise qualified candidate.

That the data you have is centered around fraud doesnt mean that person who likes it has the same data, so without the follow up questions its an even dumber reason to pass.

Not directed at PIZZA.BAT tho because again, hiring is hard to get right repeatedly

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

CarForumPoster posted:

I also do not care for or about ~the blockchain~ but it's probably best not to have arbitrary hiring requirements. I do care about that. If the job aint about blockchain, then its an arbitrary reason to pass on an otherwise qualified candidate.

That the data you have is centered around fraud doesnt mean that person who likes it has the same data, so without the follow up questions its an even dumber reason to pass.

Not directed at PIZZA.BAT tho because again, hiring is hard to get right repeatedly

yeah no, crypto enthusiasts aren't getting hired.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

i do tho

since this is yospos I’m assuming they mean software architect and looking at “blockchain” and thinking “yes this is a good architecture “ is absolutely a giant red flag

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

crypto enthusiasts need not apply

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

MononcQc posted:

drunk driving may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people figure out works sucks, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

I'd rather work with a nice enough crypto guy than someone with all the right opinions who is also an rear end in a top hat. imo you're nuts if you would turn down a good candidate just because they buy bitcoin or whatever in their off-time

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my homie dhall posted:

I'd rather work with a nice enough crypto guy than someone with all the right opinions who is also an rear end in a top hat. imo you're nuts if you would turn down a good candidate just because they buy bitcoin or whatever in their off-time

trappus sprungduntus

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

my homie dhall posted:

would you rather work with a person who does bitcoin in their off time or loves elon and his mars plan?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

whichever one manages to talk less about it during work hours

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

would you rather work with a person who does bitcoin in their off time or loves elon and his mars plan?

the only non-work related thing I give a poo poo about is whether they can both name and rank, in correct order, every member of the beatles

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

jesus WEP posted:

whichever one manages to talk less about it during work hours

it’s this

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
never had an interview outside work hours myself, except for korean places where its work hours for them, so mr bitcoin architect fails by that measure

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

my homie dhall posted:

the only non-work related thing I give a poo poo about is whether they can both name and rank, in correct order, every member of the beatles

Ringo
George
George
Paul
Mal
John

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

these are the same person though

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

since this is yospos I’m assuming they mean software architect and looking at “blockchain” and thinking “yes this is a good architecture “ is absolutely a giant red flag

exactly my thinking. i wanted to press more on what the specific requirements were because who knows- maybe they needed an append-only record and that’s what they were calling it because it would get buy in from their really stingy higher ups. there are justifications but your outs after mentioning blockchain become very very narrow

anyways alls well that ends well. he hadn’t mentioned blockchain a single time since he started and so far has been extremely competent so :shrug:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
maybe he just doesn't keep up with tech very much and panicked when they asked and said the first thing that came to mind

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

one of the arguments for team diversity is that if you have a team filled with people who love blockchains they're going to suggest a blockchain as a solution to every problem. It stands to reason that the optimal number of blockchain-suggesting people on your team is somewhere between 0 and 1 because while academically interesting (distributed byzantine fault tolerance!) it is practically never the right thing to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I have to admit that I'd have trouble answering an interview question about what emerging technologies I'm enthused about. I'm pretty skeptical about everything I can think of! fusion power would at least be beneficial to the species if it worked, I guess, and if that's an acceptable answer in a software interview