Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

https://bikeportland.org/2012/04/25/20-years-later-john-foresters-effective-cycling-to-be-re-published-70941

tired of cars running you over? just pretend you're a car! driving cannot fail, only be failed
Luckily that post is from 10 years ago, John Forester is dead, and everyone despises him now.

I guess some of the stuff he says is sort of reasonable as advice for people who are determined to ride a bike in the completely unsafe conditions in the US, but he sucks mostly because he actually wanted to keep things that way

He actively fought against bike infrastructure and tried to convince local governments not to build it. Even worse, he convinced TONS of recreational cyclists in the US to fight against bike infrastructure tooth and nail themselves, to the point that being opposed to it was pretty much the consensus for decades.

It's only really in the last 10 years that the damage started to be undone because cyclists realized that the situation is completely hosed in the us, possibly because thanks to the internet you can just go on YouTube and realize how much worse it is for biking than other countries

Incidentally, John Forester apparently refused to ever even visit Amsterdam too even though he insisted their bike infrastructure must be bad and you would think someone who spent his whole life pontificating about such things would at least want to see how it actually worked.

mystes has issued a correction as of 12:52 on Feb 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

the "just obey the rules of the road!" philosophy is a likely a big contributor to the fact that women make up half of all cycling fatalities despite only making up about a third of regular cyclists in general. it's cool that Forester's solution was "da broads should just get faster!"

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

sounds like Forester's success came from tailoring the "if you simply follow the law, you have nothing to fear" line to cyclists. flattering the powerful at the expense of everyone else is a great career track

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
someone said it on Bike Portland; It's just pure idealogy the guy put into book from his own experience of riding bikes and made the mistake of thinking this constituted some kind of manual for how to fix bike riding. It's honestly a pretty great example of how considered notions about intersectionality and privilege are essential to not falling flat on your face

also Jonathan Maus is a loving saint I wish every city had someone like him doing this stuff like BikePortland

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

It is probably true that if want to ride a bike in most of the US you will need to be comfortable with vehicular cycling, because you're going to be doing a lot of it. That said, lol at advocating to maintain this situation.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Cup Runneth Over posted:

https://bikeportland.org/2012/04/25/20-years-later-john-foresters-effective-cycling-to-be-re-published-70941

tired of cars running you over? just pretend you're a car! driving cannot fail, only be failed

I hate this mindset - generally I try to argue the exact opposite, that bikes are nothing like cars, and more like faster pedestrians

pedestrian: 150lbs, usually moves ~5mph
person on bike: 165lb, usually moves ~10-15mph
driver in car: 3,000lb, moves 30-80mph
driver in suv: 4,500lb, moves 30-80mph

bikes and cars aren't in the same universe when it comes to destructive force. the only thing they have in common is they have wheels and go on roads (and that's a societal restriction that has nothing to do with bikes themselves)

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Feb 11, 2022

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

sat on my keys! posted:

The problem is that government agencies are completely unwilling to look at any solution that doesn't continue to allocate 90% of road space to private autos.

BUT MY PARKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

There is sort of a problem (vicious circle) in that even if Americans already felt like they WANTED to not rely on cars (which is not generally true), the way everything has been designed means that most Americans living even in places where it theoretically shouldn't actually be necessary to have cars do in fact own cars and use them for everything.

This means that when you take away parking spaces, there probably are going to be people living right there who were actually using those spaces and even if there are still enough spaces, it might at least become slightly harder for them to park their cars.

It's kind of hard to fix this problem when the extent of what you're doing is just taking the spaces away to built a lovely unprotected bike lane or something that the people living there are never going to use.

You have to go even further to actually provide real alternatives that are going to make people be willing to get rid of their cars so you don't need as many spaces in the first place, but that's even less politically feasible, so I think we're kind of stuck.

From the other perspective, maximizing the amount of free car parking like we're currently doing means that there's zero incentive for people to not own cars even if they don't really need them, which means that everyone has a car (so there isn't enough parking and it's hard to eliminate).

I guess one option that will hopefully become more common is to encourage new development/redevelopment near transit with less parking so the people moving in at least won't have cars which would provide more space for things over than government subsidized car storage.

It would probably be better to start charging for parking in some manner so that there is more pressure on people to not own so many loving cars if they can avoid it.

mystes has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Feb 11, 2022

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

this morning i stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk and the car behind me first laid on the horn for a good 10 seconds and then flew around me and ran two red lights in a row. so cool that drivers like that have correctly deduced that driving like that is okay because there are no consequences for doing it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm in a college town with far more students than parking spaces. We have two good bus systems, decent biking/walking infrastructure, and lots of in-town apartments. Nearly all of the college students are coming from car-dependent communities. New students initially try to get assigned a prime parking spot, find out that they're not going to get one at all, and then have to figure something else out. There's just no other option for them. But the result of these policies is that we have one of the most-used transit systems in the country. And since COVID and the proliferation of e-scooters, boosted boards, etc., I've seen lots more people getting around other ways. The city is still too auto dependent (not enough in-town grocery stores, still too much sprawl, and not everyone's a student), but the combo of discouraging driving + providing alternatives does work.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

or I guess price it at like $500 per trip so only those making 1 million+ plus can use their exclusive tunnels.

its this

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Polo-Rican posted:

I hate this mindset - generally I try to argue the exact opposite, that bikes are nothing like cars, and more like faster pedestrians

pedestrian: 150lbs, usually moves ~5mph
person on bike: 165lb, usually moves ~10-15mph
driver in car: 3,000lb, moves 30-80mph
driver in suv: 4,500lb, moves 30-80mph

bikes and cars aren't in the same universe when it comes to destructive force. the only thing they have in common is they have wheels and go on roads (and that's a societal restriction that has nothing to do with bikes themselves)

3,000lbs is svelte by today's car standards

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Haven't some places tried to ticket people for walking and loving around on their phone? I'd bet anything they issue more tickets for that than driving while using

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Milo and POTUS posted:

Haven't some places tried to ticket people for walking and loving around on their phone? I'd bet anything they issue more tickets for that than driving while using

Yes, virtually all localities treat bike/pedestrian and pedestrian/pedestrian collisions far more seriously than car/pedestrian collisions.

There's also an element of victim-blaming there where if the pedestrians weren't distracted then they wouldn't have gotten hit by that car!

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

this morning i stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk and the car behind me first laid on the horn for a good 10 seconds and then flew around me and ran two red lights in a row. so cool that drivers like that have correctly deduced that driving like that is okay because there are no consequences for doing it

Lol I love the mindset of running reds so that you don't expose that you know how stupid you are. Last year I was biking away from the curb in a clogged bike lane (because they don't get swept for leaves the way roads do) and a swinging dick cyclist behind me was like "ON YOUR LEFT!!!!! ON YOUR LEFT!!!!!!" then blew past me in a huff. Then in 30ft he hit a red light and had to literally nose and shove his way through pedestrians crossing perpendicular to run the red because he correctly assumed I would roll up and laugh in his face if he stopped

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I’m also willing to bet Black people get ticketed for “jaywalking” far more than the white dude going 80+ in a 40mph zone who simply gets a warning….if he’s stopped at all.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Not sure what to make of this. It's like a gondola lift but in Macon, GA?

https://wgxa.tv/news/local/its-a-bi...travel-in-macon

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh nice, more garbage gadgetbahn bullshit

Just build loving trains people

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fitzy Fitz posted:

monorail!

quote:

"You can avoid accidents and it's a lot safer but it's also pretty cool."

ah, I see, the problem with trains and trams is they just aren't cool enough

quote:

The company describes the solar-powered pods as similar to a personal car, carrying one to six people through the air.

<screaming and frothing>

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Their website looks like it was made by the owner himself. It's incoherent.

https://www.georgiamobilitycompany.com/

They make a good point about suspended rail in Germany and then follow it up with a really stupid one about Tesla.

Also, Macon is ugly as hell.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Their website looks like it was made by the owner himself. It's incoherent.

https://www.georgiamobilitycompany.com/

They make a good point about suspended rail in Germany and then follow it up with a really stupid one about Tesla.

Also, Macon is ugly as hell.

quote:

The H-Bahn is a great idea, but the packet size is still too large with heavy infrastructure and few stations. Humans do not typically travel in groups of 50 to 100. We travel by ourselves and with our family. The packet size should match the need for the travelers.

lol

https://vimeo.com/253859435

lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hideous boondoggle. It will eventually kill someone

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmao we reinvited cars u guys

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

mystes posted:

Oh nice, more garbage gadgetbahn bullshit

Just build loving trains people

I think you'll find your answer here:

quote:

Georgia Mobility Company is the brain behind them. The company describes the solar-powered pods as similar to a personal car, carrying one to six people through the air.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Realtalk those things look insanely stupid though. I can't see how such a system could carry even a fraction of the throughput of the road below it, given the pods can't hold that many people and are restricted to a single track each direction. If it ever gets built it will end up being a tourist attraction that nobody ever uses for transport (like the Sydney monorail was).

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Cars were a mistake
https://twitter.com/AngelicaStinks/status/1491976600325287939?s=20&t=iceitIkUVjLnJZv7yWP8LA

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

if the car in the back were twice as big & heavy, it wouldn't have sustained as much damage. of course the car in front would have to be increased in size too, to compensate.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao we reinvited cars u guys

i think this is a reinvention of the Hyperloop, but above street level instead of underground

putting transit above everything would be just unexplainably expensive and also hideous to live with but it is cheaper and more possible than digging tunnels everywhere through hundreds of years of who knows what the gently caress

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
In some nice news

We have more than a hundred people coming to our group protest ride tomorrow

I'm very excited and am.trying to coral my fiance to come along

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't get slammed into by a chud in a f550

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is just another version of a 1970s people moved concept, completely pointless beyond trying to get terrified suburbanites to try something that isn’t a car.

It is doubly pointless in China where there already is public transit in most urban centers.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
drove today for the first time in a while and everyone drives like an rear end in a top hat, whipping around their giant metal death machines to be the first person to wait at a red light

gently caress cars

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Cloks posted:

drove today for the first time in a while and everyone drives like an rear end in a top hat, whipping around their giant metal death machines to be the first person to wait at a red light

gently caress cars

Hear hear!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Cloks posted:

gently caress cars

people are saying this more and more!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Dolphin posted:

don't get slammed into by a bogan in a Hilux

Fixed that up

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Dolphin posted:

don't get slammed into by a chud in a f550 killed or maimed in any fashion

e: fixed to follow the trend

LonsomeSon has issued a correction as of 23:09 on Feb 12, 2022

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

WE SURVIVED

Was good fun to have a massive tail and take space from drivers , who were honestly very respectful

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
gently caress cars, inshallah.

https://twitter.com/SAAQ/status/1189205427118051328

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

goblin week posted:

also no windmill emojis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i like it but lol i would be terrified to walk across that as a pedestrian whether it's up or down