Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
taiwan confirmed as number 1
https://twitter.com/Focus_Taiwan/status/1491811701548847113

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

fez_machine posted:

The most successful anti-abortion campaign was state policy in communist Romania. It was a massive humanitarian disaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_orphans

There was a large conservative religious effort to adopt these children in America (many of whom had been completely and irreparably hosed by the neglect they had received in their early years see this article https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/07/can-an-unloved-child-learn-to-love/612253/) but they never put two and two together.

There's an extremely depressing film about it called "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days" that's worth watching. It's also cool if you speak a romance language because Romanian is a neat mixture of Russian and romance languages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZisE16JBUMA

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

REF: https://www.protocol.com/china/us-china-tech-decoupling

quote:

A report detailed the tech gap between China and the U.S. Then it disappeared.
A top Chinese think tank found that China might fare worse than the US from a tech decoupling.

The article:

https://uscnpm.org/2022/02/06/pku-iiss-2022-report-tech-competition/

Translated:

https://archive.is/a2rIO

The article is already quite politically worded and heavily pushes 5G as if it means anything.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

Zarin posted:

The summer olympics could be permanently held in Greece, sure.

I think the Winter ones should definitely be held in the best place, which is obviously the place they were held when I was a child and first learned about them, and that's Lillehammer. :colbert:

Agree, summer should be at a permanent facility in Greece. Winter should rotate, but only to places that typically have natural snow in February. None of this 100% man-made snow bullshit.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

grellgraxer posted:

Agree, summer should be at a permanent facility in Greece. Winter should rotate, but only to places that typically have natural snow in February. None of this 100% man-made snow bullshit.

The closest the IOC will ever agree to is Colombia

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

grellgraxer posted:

This, but have a permanent facility for both. Honestly, the waste that goes into building Olympic stadia really sucks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Apparently all the artificial snow is being made by using up all the water that the nearby farmers need for irrigation next year.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
oh come on, like there's ever been famine in China pppbbbbbhthththtbb

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

McGavin posted:

Apparently all the artificial snow is being made by using up all the water that the nearby farmers need for irrigation next year.

Looking at the numbers it's less than 0.1% of available water per year, it'll be fine.

quote:

But to generate enough snow, the country estimates it will need more than 49 million gallons of water.

That poses a problem for the Chinese capital, where the 21 million residents are living with decades-long water scarcity. Data from the Ministry of Water Resources, collected by analytics firm CEIC, shows that Beijing has around 31,000 gallons of available water per capita per year, which is one-twentieth of the national average.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Only being able to take 3 ten minute showers a day would suck

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

They shouldnt of had snow there imo. Just use some sand or something. Sad to see this kind of wasteful behavior

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Betty Wight posted:

Actually i thank the olympics should only be hosted in Greece. Let the world contribute to permanent facilities that will get used over and over. Let Greece benefit from the appreciation of the culture. It’s the least worst option.

I thought the modern Olympics were revived/invented in Wales (probably by a nonce).

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

this is in keeping with the great Greek tradition of noncercy

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

oh come on, like there's ever been famine in China pppbbbbbhthththtbb

There's never been a famine in China. China has always fed its people. Nobody goes hungry, nobody goes homeless. It is a model utopia. If only the world could learn from China and its greatness, but sadly it's not to be.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Seth Pecksniff posted:

There's never been a famine in China. China has always fed its people. Nobody goes hungry, nobody goes homeless. It is a model utopia. If only the world could learn from China and its greatness, but sadly it's not to be.

It took me a while to figure out C-SPAM wasn't just a bunch of people roleplaying and ironic posting, and that they actually believed this kind of stuff. They've also never been to China, of course, and take state media at face value. It blew my mind.

I thought this was pretty funny, as Eileen Gu finally realizes the hand that is feeding her scraps is also biting her at the same time. It was only a very, very short matter of time.

https://sports.yahoo.com/eileen-gus-instagram-comment-causes-fury-in-china-115439434.html

quote:

It’s all part of China’s concerted and thorough effort to block off internet access to certain elements of the outside world, like social media, alternative views and Western philosophies. There’s little recourse for China’s citizens to get to that content, even if they know it exists. VPNs — virtual private networks, designed to get around the so-called “Great Firewall” — are illegal to operate in China.

So when raised-in-America-but-skiing-for-China gold medalist Eileen Gu blithely advocated for the use of a VPN in an Instagram post, it didn’t go over well with some of her instagram followers or the Chinese government.

Gu’s Instagram page is a collection of motivational and inspirational slogans, a scrapbook designed to present a specific, curated image of her to the world. One user commented on an otherwise innocuous post:

“Why can you use Instagram and millions of Chinese people from mainland cannot, why you got such special treatment as a Chinese citizen. That’s not fair, can you speak up for those millions of Chinese who don’t have internet freedom,”
user “cilla chan” wrote.

“Anyone can download a vpn,” Gu replied, “it’s literally free on the App Store”.

The website Protocol noted that multiple users fired back at Gu that Chinese citizens don’t have that freedom, not so subtly suggesting that if Gu is in fact a Chinese citizen alone — which she has deliberately not confirmed — she is enjoying benefits her fellow citizens can’t access.

Screenshots of the exchange were censored from the Chinese social media service Weibo.

quote:

This is the line that Gu must walk. Born and raised in the United States but competing for her mother's home country of China in these Olympics, Gu is a huge celebrity here, appearing on billboards and commercials all over the country. But accusations of favoritism would be tough to shake, and many of the rights and freedoms Gu has enjoyed for 18 years as an American — free expression, an open and unfettered internet — aren’t available to Chinese citizens. Gu is already a huge star in China, but she’s liable to face enormous backlash if she flaunts the fact that she’s not living under the same rules as her fellow citizens.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think it's weird how much attention people are paying to her. Yeah she seems kinda dumb but she's 18. I wouldn't want people paying attention to my opinions when I was 18 since I, also, was (am?) dumb.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The vpn comment seems completely clueless, though.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it's weird how much attention people are paying to her. Yeah she seems kinda dumb but she's 18. I wouldn't want people paying attention to my opinions when I was 18 since I, also, was (am?) dumb.

She has, or her family really, gone out seeking attention for a long time. Multi year CCTV documentary, sponsorships, modelling contracts, interviews. It's to be expected to be under scrutiny.

But it does reinforce that getting into a top tier university does not require common sense or wisdom.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yes. Dumb teenager. Who is also an Olympics star so is immune to consequences of, say, publicly stating she's breaking Chinese law.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Idk I'm with Grand Fromage on this

She's probably been doing Olympics stuff for most of her life and hasn't really kept up with international affairs. If I was an 18 year old with no concept I'd probably have said the same thing because it's an automatic reaction. Why COULDN'T you download a VPN?

If she was like 10 years older though, less excuses

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Apparently she also got into Stanford before becoming world-famous.

Between that and athletics I'm guessing she doesn't have much time to care about other stuff.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe she has irl friends and hangs out with them all the time :ohdear:

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
I haven't really paid attention to the big upset about her for competing for China (or about any Olympics anything in decades), but I am curious to see how her story is derivative of pretty much every foreign entity getting famous in China. These may be some far-reaching thoughts, but I am just doing free association here:

1. Sure, she is clueless, as any Chinese citizen would know they can't just go get a VPN or use foreign apps. This hurts the feelings of the Chinese who realize that Gu isn't truly their compatriot and doesn't quite understand life as an actual Chinese citizen. This immediately wrecks her curated image in China as an Overseas Chinese coming "home" to promote China's soft power (especially if anyone understands that China doesn't allow dual citizenship and she is living and thriving on an American passport and can bounce back home any time she likes). She has actually been asked a few times if she'll give up her American passport and she has avoided answering it.

To Netizens, it's like a crack in a pot, seeping the reality that she didn't grow up in China, didn't suffer the same scholastic and life pressures as the average Chinese kid did, and, worst of all, maybe has a bit of that Meiguo in her brain after being born and growing up in Meiguo. For a society hellbent on making sure outsiders are easily rejected and never truly accepted, she is walking a fine line between her actual life as an American passport holder getting famous in China, and China's governmental and citizen-induced censorship. As someone ethnically Chinese, the scrutiny is even stronger. I am reminded of Simu Liu basically getting "canceled" in China for an interview where his parents suffered while living in China before leaving to Canada. He was outright ditched for not being China-positive enough, which highlighted that he was raised outside China. How many more barely-there mistakes does it take before an official apology is warranted in China? Gu has been quoted as saying "when I’m in the U.S., I’m American, but when I’m in China, I’m Chinese,” and this is one of those things that, IMO, makes Netizens angry because it shatters the idea that all ethnically Chinese truly belong to China.

2. This hurts the feelings of the Chinese people. Nothing is graver than that.

As an aside, one of my friends used to be crazy for that Uncle Roger bit on YouTube. The YouTuber, Nigel Ng, is Malaysian Chinese, went to school in USA, and lives in the UK. However, being ethnically Chinese, he had a following in China. He did an Uncle Roger reaction video about some guy's Chinese food recipe and posted it. Some people in China dug through the recipe guy's videos and found he said something about the Tiananmen Square massacre and the Xinjiang concentration camps. Nigel Ng was blamed for hurting the feelings of the Chinese people for using a video by someone who was slanderous to China, and he was hounded by Little Pinks to confess to his alleged crimes. Nigel Ng, not wanting to lose any cash from China, deleted the video and issued a public apology for showcasing something by someone who had said bad things about China. There are hundred of examples for anyone dealing with China that it takes very little to stir the pot and be on the verge of being kicked to the curb by Chinese media or fans.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Futanari Damacy posted:

Only being able to take 3 ten minute showers a day would suck

*hobbit voice* “but what about second shower?”

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

A country where everyone's dumb posts get deleted sounds like a paradise.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

wish some Chinese guys would delete a few of my posts. Alas

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

PITY BONER posted:

As an aside, one of my friends used to be crazy for that Uncle Roger bit on YouTube. The YouTuber, Nigel Ng, is Malaysian Chinese, went to school in USA, and lives in the UK. However, being ethnically Chinese, he had a following in China. He did an Uncle Roger reaction video about some guy's Chinese food recipe and posted it. Some people in China dug through the recipe guy's videos and found he said something about the Tiananmen Square massacre and the Xinjiang concentration camps. Nigel Ng was blamed for hurting the feelings of the Chinese people for using a video by someone who was slanderous to China, and he was hounded by Little Pinks to confess to his alleged crimes. Nigel Ng, not wanting to lose any cash from China, deleted the video and issued a public apology for showcasing something by someone who had said bad things about China. There are hundred of examples for anyone dealing with China that it takes very little to stir the pot and be on the verge of being kicked to the curb by Chinese media or fans.

On this, and not at all focusing on Nigel Ng stuff.

But it has always shat me how arbitrary the things that the CCP digital army chooses to ark up about are.

In this case they dug through the other videos of a cooking show to attack the comedian making jokes over a different cooking video the same dude made. This is an insane deep dive actively looking for something to be offended by, and then attacking the person tangentially related to it. (BOO also to his capitulation and apology.)

But elsewhere, (and I wish I had off the top of my head examples of this), more blatant actual anti China/anti CCP stuff gets ignored/passed over. Because it's not famous enough, because it was released at a time when they weren't in a fighty mood or most likely just due to laziness and neglect in their scrutiny of the internet.

But it bothers me how some small insignificant normal non political people get the ban hammer and the full force of oppressive Chinese justice, (my mind goes to the 20 year old girl who was doing a silly video pretending to be a conductor to the Chinese national anthem on Weibo(?), who got uniformed police to her door and was held for several days before being forced to make a formal public apology), whilst others get nothing due to the either the whims of a capricious system, or the laziness/incompetence of a half-arsed system.

Come on China! Be consistent with your thin skinned fuckwittedness.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

teen dumb so what

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Wistful of Dollars posted:

teen dumb so what

The last time there were an excess of dumb teens in China, most drat anything to do with its history got sledgehammered.

'cept for the stuff in the British Museums, of course.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It has been long known that uncertainty about punishment is a more effective deterrent than a predictably harsh punishment. Theory goes, anxiety about your future will create a much less easily ignored discomfort for breaking the rules, and nothing is more anxiety-pushing than the unknown or the unpredictable.
And that's why it's arbitrary. The harshness is just a bonus to the large assholes.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Wife and I are having a disagreement.

Is Tang Wei hot? She says no, that she has a weird face, and that it's just me who thinks so (she asked me who the most attractive mainland Chinese actress currently working is, and that was my response). She says that the general consensus is that she's a good actress, but not attractive (chinese netizen opinion). And that even westerners don't think Tang Wei is a hottie.

Her answer was Fan Bingbing :rolleyes:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

WarpedNaba posted:

The last time there were an excess of dumb teens in China, most drat anything to do with its history got sledgehammered.

'cept for the stuff in the British Museums, of course.

Those teens were being very deliberately manipulated by round adult men.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Blistex posted:

Wife and I are having a disagreement.

At profound risk of :goonsay: just because you're asking. I would say: nothing wrong but not notable. Fan Bingbing appears to have the weird Asia generic plastic surgery face so of the two I'd give it to Tang Wei, no contest. But if I can choose I'm on team Zhang Ziyi.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

At profound risk of :goonsay: just because you're asking. I would say: nothing wrong but not notable. Fan Bingbing appears to have the weird Asia generic plastic surgery face so of the two I'd give it to Tang Wei, no contest. But if I can choose I'm on team Zhang Ziyi.

Irony being that people in China would sometimes remark that my wife looked like Zhang Ziyi, but I never saw it. You nailed my thoughts on FanB exactly. Hint of uncanny valley.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The argument you are having with your wife is one I had many times when I lived in Korea.

There is a tiny window of mathematical precision for "beautiful", and no matter how weird and strange that actually looks, it is considered attractive and desirable.

Whereas actually pretty/handsome people who fall a fraction of an inch outside these parameters are considered uggos, too repulsive to look upon.

I always told my students, and people I met that the most beautiful actress/celebrity in Korea was Shin Bong Sun. Only to be met with howls of derision from children and adults alike that she was too old, (She turns 42 this year), too fat, too ugly, too loud, too unladylike etc.

gently caress em all. 신봉선 is my perfect woman and I will die on this hill.

Edit: Tang Wei is very pretty. But is she in a K-Pop group filled with comediennes aged over 40? No? Then game set and match Ms. Shin.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 12, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rinkles posted:

The vpn comment seems completely clueless, though.

Yeah like uh the only way it makes sense is if someone taught her about vpn in Passing like some one weird trick to get better Internet in China like a broken step without telling her why the whole staircase was inside a groverhaus to begin with

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
obligatory:

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
You don't get to the Olympics by being well-rounded or knowledgable of anything outside of your sport.

Last summer there was an article by a guy who has retired after a long career on the US bobsled team and suffered an enormous emotional toll because he'd done nothing but think about bobsledding every day for like 16 years. And he started late in life, so wasn't subject to hosed-up childrearing, and wasn't even the guy on the team that had to do strategic thinking or driving or anything. He was just there to push-start the sled as fast as possible. He trained by pushing a car up the ramp in a parking garage.

Now imagine the same except it's a kid in a sport that probably requires more of your attention day-in-and-day-out than bobsled (no offense to the bobsled goons).

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Re: blithely unaware kids doing/saying unwise stuff in China:

This is not something that is restricted to sea turtles returning from the Wai, it also affects standard Chinese young people middle class and upwards (therefore in a position to want and get stuff like VPNs).

The media control works too well, so many of them take things at face value, and assume that as long as they don't do anything obviously wrong, they have nothing to fear.

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/zeyiyang/status/1492188785320280064?s=21

On the one hand that’s not great on the other hand the less Ross content in Friends the better