Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Predator's Taint had the same problem that bestial failures have, which is that its implementation was too binary and disruptive by default. I absolutely want to see vampires make frenzy checks when they meet, but unless the circumstances are really unusual a "failure" should mean that you, like, instinctively snarl or shy away for a moment before getting hold of yourself, such that longer-term consequences are some combination of social problems and Masquerade risk rather than the entire scene getting derailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ferrinus posted:

Hey, that's fine. Lots of people like the superheroes with fangs playstyle.

Yeah, I don't, but more power to those who do.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno, I feel like that's different. For one, you only roll the Predator's Taint the first time you meet a new vamp. I really liked PT, btw. A cool way to get those Jojo/Highlander style tension of suddenly meeting someone like you.

Yeah, I liked it too, but it is a similar reaction from people who have mostly not really interacted with the system in play and have already decided it blows.

Again, there are a lot of valid criticism to throw in V5's ways and I've house ruled core parts of it, but I will stand with my fangs around Hunger being something that improved the vampire games I've played in and ran.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man that homebrew wiki is pretty cool.

You know who we should bring into V5 from Requiem? Count loving Dracula.

Ferrinus posted:

Predator's Taint had the same problem that bestial failures have, which is that its implementation was too binary and disruptive by default. I absolutely want to see vampires make frenzy checks when they meet, but unless the circumstances are really unusual a "failure" should mean that you, like, instinctively snarl or shy away for a moment before getting hold of yourself, such that longer-term consequences are some combination of social problems and Masquerade risk rather than the entire scene getting derailed.

That's usually how we house-ruled it, as well as having someone in court who's job is to grabd and hold frenzying newbies (usually the Sheriff or Hound).

Edit: Someone who got the Sabbat book, are the Serpents of the Light back?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I don't, but more power to those who do.

You love it. But here's the thing: I don't allow you to.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ferrinus posted:

You love it. But here's the thing: I don't allow you to.

You're being weird, Ferrinus.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

MonsieurChoc posted:

Edit: Lol the Caine muth is totally still canon what are yout alking about?

It's one of two major creation myths in the west now, just the most prevalent one. The Bahari believe Lillith was the founder of all vampires, and there's a gaggle of cults and religions from Cults and Forbidden Religions (to point where Caine stans are getting pissed off there's so many alternative religions now). A few of them are super old and prevalent. STs can pick and choose exactly which ones to bring to their table or not, and whether Cainism even is the predominant religion as it doesn't have to be.

For the KotE V5 splat, I've devised 3 major creation myths to add to the mix, none of which relate back to Abrahamic faiths.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Predator's taint removed in 2.0?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fuzz posted:

For the KotE V5 splat, I've devised 3 major creation myths to add to the mix, none of which relate back to Abrahamic faiths.

Have you seen Analects of the Damned or Records of the Hungry Dead, by any chance? It's a "setting reboot" and ruleset of KotE for 20th.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/341889
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/383100/

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Have you seen Analects of the Damned or Records of the Hungry Dead, by any chance? It's a "setting reboot" and ruleset of KotE for 20th.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/341889
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/383100/

They aren't relevant since Kuei (just Kuei, or Vetala) in our splat are just regular kindred, and always have been. Any differences were based on mistranslation and xenophobia from both sides, along with core cultural differences in how and why they exist. Same clans (but with different names and histories), their own sects, etc.

Mostly using the old books for lore adjustments.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So I'm playing through the Werewolf the Apocalypse game that came out last year, since it was on sale. It's..... it exists, it's very unpolished and looks absolutely terrible for a UE4 game that came out in 2021. But I just got to a part of the plot that gave me a headache and I had to stop.

A Pentex kill squad raids the caern in retribution after you blow up one of their fracking rigs, and you're about to square down when the Caern Totem (Which, by the way, looks like a giant naked man doing a slavic squat, with some leaves applied, and a giant glowing tumbleweed where his head should be) manifests and goes "NO! THERE SHALL BE NO BLOODSHED HERE IN THIS SACRED PLACE! THE UMBRA TAKE YOU!"

He then proceeds to just.. bodily subsume the entire pentex kill squad, exosuits and all, into the umbra, where you are then allowed to fight them.
Which is
1) Impossible unless the caern totem was ridiculously powerful and
2) Why the gently caress would a spirit pull a bunch of wyrm tainted humans into the umbra if their objection to their presence was that this was a sacred place? Like rotting wyrm corpses in the umbral reflection of the caern is probably worse in every conceivable way.

The gameplay conceit is that the Caern itself is a real artsy multi-level affair that's built around a giant tree that serves as a spiral staircase to various access points (Read: The caern is literally smack dab inbetween three loving Endron industrial sites, like 300 meters away from the closest one) and it would be absolute rear end as a combat arena, and they wanted to do something artsy and symbolic... but it's just a giant floating rock in a sky blue void with the caern spirit squatting at one end.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg posted:

So I'm playing through the Werewolf the Apocalypse game that came out last year, since it was on sale. It's..... it exists, it's very unpolished and looks absolutely terrible for a UE4 game that came out in 2021. But I just got to a part of the plot that gave me a headache and I had to stop.

A Pentex kill squad raids the caern in retribution after you blow up one of their fracking rigs, and you're about to square down when the Caern Totem (Which, by the way, looks like a giant naked man doing a slavic squat, with some leaves applied, and a giant glowing tumbleweed where his head should be) manifests and goes "NO! THERE SHALL BE NO BLOODSHED HERE IN THIS SACRED PLACE! THE UMBRA TAKE YOU!"

He then proceeds to just.. bodily subsume the entire pentex kill squad, exosuits and all, into the umbra, where you are then allowed to fight them.
Which is
1) Impossible unless the caern totem was ridiculously powerful and
2) Why the gently caress would a spirit pull a bunch of wyrm tainted humans into the umbra if their objection to their presence was that this was a sacred place? Like rotting wyrm corpses in the umbral reflection of the caern is probably worse in every conceivable way.

The gameplay conceit is that the Caern itself is a real artsy multi-level affair that's built around a giant tree that serves as a spiral staircase to various access points (Read: The caern is literally smack dab inbetween three loving Endron industrial sites, like 300 meters away from the closest one) and it would be absolute rear end as a combat arena, and they wanted to do something artsy and symbolic... but it's just a giant floating rock in a sky blue void with the caern spirit squatting at one end.

It's a dumb loving game, top to bottom. It plays like poo poo, and even when it could maybe skate by on "Well at least being a Werewolf is cool" they manage to make the combat awful and awkward as hell.

Earthblood is so god drat bad, and I've legit tried to just soldier through for the achievements/to see where it goes because lol is it dumb as hell but I finally hit my wall of "No gently caress you game" after some awful boss fight that was probably a good idea, if the combat didn't suck so god drat much.

I also don't care about any of the characters. Cahal loving sucks as a protagonist, Rodko sucks, just every character sucks.

Heart of the Forest at least seemed better written from the very little I played.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Heart of the forest was fine but short. I made through it in like 3 hours and ad not will to replay.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
PT was bad because the fluff description was explicitly ignored by the rules as being too disruptive.

“It’s part of the world building but it’s unplayable” means it shouldn’t be part of the world building.

I do like the idea of an intermediate level of “on edge.” “You fail your PT roll. Because you’re of lower blood, you have a penalty to social dice and resisting disciplines from them as your beast whines and hides.”

Or “you fail your PT role. Your beast refuses to cower before this lesser vampire. You cannot use manipulate or charm in any way; only intimidate.”

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Finally got about to making our characters in the follow-up/sequel game to our last chronicle using V5. Fully embracing that YOLO lifestyle as a Ravnos blockade runner that is totally not a narcosaint slash nagual in the making. Everyone else is making these super serious characters and I mostly just plan on having the dude blast Tejano and doing doughnuts in stolen cars, all while his coyote famulous drools out the passenger car window.

Roadside Killer gives Protean 1, which after glancing back through the system means that *technically* he can take zero damage from crashes. Going to try to make it that he totals at least one vehicle every other session.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can prometheans have an effect on metaphysical/fictional/virtual/spiritual spaces around them in the same way they are a detriment to the physical space around them?

Trying to figure out if a promethean posting on a forum or social media group and causing it to become broken and ruined would be stupidly cool or stupidly dumb.

A riven becomes a ghost writer for a cozy mystery circle as a means of trying to learn more about humans and the series they write in for become progressively more and more tainted over time due to their involvement in writing this fictional world.

An mmorpg server starts suffering all kinds of tech issues because of the presence of an unfleshed player (I think I just described .hack//)

The effects of an osiran's presence on the EVE online economy and politics between the various factions

Logical extreme is that Alan Smithee is a promethean

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 12, 2022

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I have progressed further in the werewolf game and now have a game for the thread.

This elderly native american woman whom i have just broken out of prison is telling me to hijack a Truck. She is a Garou. Guess her tribe.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg posted:

I have progressed further in the werewolf game and now have a game for the thread.

This elderly native american woman whom i have just broken out of prison is telling me to hijack a Truck. She is a Garou. Guess her tribe.

Oh hey, you're about where I was before I quit. There's yet another terrible boss fight coming up so be prepared for that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I just perfect stealthed a combat encounter which apparently broke the quest triggers because the cutscene that was supposed to play, did not play.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Given what I hear about the game I'm going to guess Red Talons or Stargazers.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The answer is Red Talon, apparently she's working with endron becuase they guaranteed the safety of her pack and she's willingly wyrm corrupted her pack totem towards this end.

Guys I don't think Werewolf 5th edition is gonna be good if this plot made it past their lore people.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg posted:

The answer is Red Talon, apparently she's working with endron becuase they guaranteed the safety of her pack and she's willingly wyrm corrupted her pack totem towards this end.

Guys I don't think Werewolf 5th edition is gonna be good if this plot made it past their lore people.

Considering how low budget and Increadibly janky as it was, I have a feeling Earthblood is going to get quietly shuffled off to the background when W5 comes out....if it ever comes out.

Speaking of video games, I just got a Quest 2 and grabbed the Wraith game that's out, but haven't fired it up yet.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

Wasn't this greenlit during SwedeDrac and before the W5 job being given to Hunters Entertainment under Renegade Game Studios? I feel like this came with the slot machine licensing story. Not saying it's going to be good, just saying I think this was a vestige of the first regime and Paradox just wanted them to release the game, which they probably knew was going to be bad.

EDIT:

Wikipedia posted:

The game is directed by Julien Desourteaux, with Martin Ericsson serving as lead writer.

Wikipedia posted:

Pre-production of the game began around late 2016,[1][7] following Paradox Interactive's purchase of White Wolf in 2015, and the game was announced in January 2017. It was originally set to be published by Focus Home Interactive,[8] but switched publishers to Nacon in 2018 following Nacon's purchase of Cyanide.[1][10][11] It was presented for the first time at E3 2019 in Los Angeles in June 2019,[12] and was exhibited at PDXCON 2019 in October.[13] The game was eventually released on February 4, 2021 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X.[14]

Well there's the answer we were all looking for right there.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 12, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Wasn't this greenlit during SwedeDrac and before the W5 job being given to Hunters Entertainment under Renegade Game Studios? I feel like this came with the slot machine licensing story. Not saying it's going to be good, just saying I think this was a vestige of the first regime and Paradox just wanted them to release the game, which they probably knew was going to be bad.

Yeah, it is very likely that this was approved under Martin "Heroic Fascism" Ericcson's tenure, which might also be why we got the protagonist to be the most boring example of Woof that ever woofed.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it is very likely that this was approved under Martin "Heroic Fascism" Ericcson's tenure, which might also be why we got the protagonist to be the most boring example of Woof that ever woofed.

What, you're telling me that making the protagonist of the game a bald Irish dude who drinks to build his rage meter and is also a terrible father was a bad idea?

I can't believe I played as much of this garbage rear end game as I did.

Soundtrack slaps though

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I just want a woof game where you're a bone gnawer alternating between being a hobo with a shotgun and leaving out peanut butter and bacon sandwiches to appease the spirit of Elvis

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Just remember: the old Werewolf game that was poo poo canned was supposed to have you playing a Get of Fenris rage machine just smashing your way through everything with fascist impunity pre-WW realizing they were loving terrible and white supremacist, so at least we didn't get that poo poo.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Just remember: the old Werewolf game that was poo poo canned was supposed to have you playing a Get of Fenris rage machine just smashing your way through everything with fascist impunity pre-WW realizing they were loving terrible and white supremacist, so at least we didn't get that poo poo.

I thought it was the last White Howler? Was there more than one?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We didn't get a Stargazer protag with martial arts either.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kavak posted:

Yeah, the one Woof game out there you can find cutscenes for even now you were the Last White Howler, which amuses me to remember when I did character application reviews for a WW RP site there were so many people trying to be the Last White Howler they would have formed a bigger bloc than any other tribe.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kavak posted:

Was it? I remember it being a Get in some early rear end PCGamer preview thing in like... 2001 or something, Redemption era.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well I beat the boss you apparently got stuck on.. and the 3 bosses immediately afterwards between that boss and the end of the game.

it was hard.. ish, but the 4 point attack for Heavy style just breaks the combat system wide open, the only boss it couldn't stun was the last one, just because it was a giant gently caress off formor.

Finding out that the person who mudered your wife is in the building: gain 1 point of rage
Take a swig of whiskey from your flask: Gain 2 points of rage.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Finding out that the person who mudered your wife is in the building: gain 1 point of rage
Take a swig of whiskey from your flask: Gain 2 points of rage.

Well, Fianna. :rimshot:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

FirstAidKite posted:

Can prometheans have an effect on metaphysical/fictional/virtual/spiritual spaces around them in the same way they are a detriment to the physical space around them?

Trying to figure out if a promethean posting on a forum or social media group and causing it to become broken and ruined would be stupidly cool or stupidly dumb.

A riven becomes a ghost writer for a cozy mystery circle as a means of trying to learn more about humans and the series they write in for become progressively more and more tainted over time due to their involvement in writing this fictional world.

An mmorpg server starts suffering all kinds of tech issues because of the presence of an unfleshed player (I think I just described .hack//)

The effects of an osiran's presence on the EVE online economy and politics between the various factions

Logical extreme is that Alan Smithee is a promethean

do you think you could honestly tell the difference between an online community in the final stages of disquiet and uh, any other online community?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm reminded of that one Insatiable that could cause their flavor of mega-disquiet over the internet.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Digital Osmosis posted:

do you think you could honestly tell the difference between an online community in the final stages of disquiet and uh, any other online community?

Absolutely.

dota 2 vs club penguin yeah

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

After a great deal of time, it's nice to see Ericsson truly reflect on the awful section on Chechnya in the V5 Camarilla book and lol no get rekt nerd.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/srhua3/martin_ericsson_defends_controversial_v5_chechnya/

Swedracula remains a bit of a pill, constrained by all these pesky shackles on his genius.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

After a great deal of time, it's nice to see Ericsson truly reflect on the awful section on Chechnya in the V5 Camarilla book and lol no get rekt nerd.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/srhua3/martin_ericsson_defends_controversial_v5_chechnya/

Swedracula remains a bit of a pill, constrained by all these pesky shackles on his genius.

What a self absorbed shithead. "Yes, the plan was to stand up to a dictator with this rpg about Vampires."

My dude just shut the gently caress up and go away. We get it Swedracula, you love 90's edge lord poo poo but guess what, that edgey poo poo was bad in the 90's and it looks even worse in retrospect!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

What a self absorbed shithead. "Yes, the plan was to stand up to a dictator with this rpg about Vampires."

My dude just shut the gently caress up and go away. We get it Swedracula, you love 90's edge lord poo poo but guess what, that edgey poo poo was bad in the 90's and it looks even worse in retrospect!

quote:

The hosts of the 25VTM podcasts put forth the possibility at 02:45:00 that the Abrek Blight Chapter temporarily halted the persecution and torture of LGBTQ+ people in Chechnya. The hosts tell Ericsson that he "did good".
Yeah, No.

quote:

The hosts also credit Ericsson's frequent collaborator, Matthew Dawkins, for encouraging them to invite Ericsson on to the show.
I didn't think my opinion of Matt Dawkins could get any lower after Eggdick lovecraft man yet here we are.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

quote:

From 02:50:26 to 02:55:40 Ericsson talks a great deal about how RPG spaces have internalized the critiques of the "moral majority" (the anti-RPG panic of the 1980s and 1990s) and how there is no scientific proof that playing an evil character is damaging.

The gently caress is he even on about? I have literally never met a single player who has said anything like this.

Oh, wait. He's talking about the bit where 'the allure of heroic fascism' sounds a bit fash, isn't he.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Loomer posted:

The gently caress is he even on about? I have literally never met a single player who has said anything like this.

Oh, wait. He's talking about the bit where 'the allure of heroic fascism' sounds a bit fash, isn't he.

Yes, he later talks about how playing a Nazi doesn't make you a Nazi so it's totally okay that he has extensive rules on how to play a Nazi