Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Levantine posted:

I dug into it and while I'm fairly lukewarm on the combat early on, the rest feels exactly what I wanted it to feel like. I always liked the cast of P5 but digging back in made me realize how much. I would love them to spend some time on the P5 crew doing stuff. Maybe do another actual persona RPG type game like Persona 5: Final or some weird poo poo like that.

That said, any tips for how to actually play the game? I'm in the first jail and attacks just don't seem to have enough telelgraph for me to dodge consistently in big crowds. I feel like resources are super lean too so I am not using Personas or items much in regular battles. But also I feel very weak so it's a bit tough when big enemies come out. Should I be targeting specific personas/abilities? Status seems super powerful when enemies use it.

It's a Musou game - they are the very paradigm of button mashers. This one is a little more complex because of how Persona powers work, but when in doubt:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Levantine posted:

I dug into it and while I'm fairly lukewarm on the combat early on, the rest feels exactly what I wanted it to feel like. I always liked the cast of P5 but digging back in made me realize how much. I would love them to spend some time on the P5 crew doing stuff. Maybe do another actual persona RPG type game like Persona 5: Final or some weird poo poo like that.

That said, any tips for how to actually play the game? I'm in the first jail and attacks just don't seem to have enough telelgraph for me to dodge consistently in big crowds. I feel like resources are super lean too so I am not using Personas or items much in regular battles. But also I feel very weak so it's a bit tough when big enemies come out. Should I be targeting specific personas/abilities? Status seems super powerful when enemies use it.

The first jail is notoriously harder than the rest of the game because you don't have a lot of the resources that get unlocked later on. SP especially gets much easier to recover inside dungeons once you can cook.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Honestly I found that just mashing buttons and trying to play it as a traditional musuo got me killed more often than not.

It interrupts the combat flow, but the game really wants you to go for combos, and hit enemy weak points with your Personas and combine that with special abilities and show times. In that regard, it plays much more like a Persona game than a musuo.

The game is really hard for the first two dungeons because your SP is very limited. I remember the 2nd boss was hell and took me 5 tries to take down. However after that as you get more SP, access to more powerful Personas, and more showtimes, the game becomes a breeze. By the end game I was massacring massed of Shadows with ease :black101:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah hitting weaknesses without spending SP can be really helpful. Specific combos lead to elemental Persona attacks, for most it is attack-attack-attack-special (or C4) but it varies, plus Ann can make her attacks do fire damage on command

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Most characters’ charge three combo (normal attack > normal attack > normal attack > charge attack) will cast a weak version of their elemental spell for no SP cost. The noteable exception is Haru - that fires her grenade launcher instead (her charge two combo casts Psi, iirc)

Ann will quickly learn a Combat Art (an add-on to attacks, you unlock them by murdering Shadows with the specific characters) that’ll enchant her whip with fire by holding down the charge button. Makoto gets a similar Combat Art for nuclear fists. Ann will also do a quick flurry combo with her whip that uses up that fire enchant if you hold down charge again, which can be useful to smack around fire-weak mobs quickly.

Also, if you ever run into anything that’s weak against Gun, switch to Ann and just empty the magazine of her SMG into them, it’s great.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Which is funny, because Ann was the worst for gun-weak enemies in P5.

But also Joker and Haru have gun attacks on their combos in P5S so I never actually used the manually targeted gun except for in ambushes personally.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'd say the biggest hurdle for me personally was getting used to how aggressive the enemies are in Strikers when compared to a typical Musou game. You can't just mash your way through trash mobs, you gotta be more deliberate and call your shots more carefully.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
i'm starting to get a sense for combat flow a bit more now that I'm unlocking the "kill enemies" skills for individuals. I find myself switching a lot to play other characters. Ann is a lot of fun, but Morgana is great for defending Oracle since he's got the Panzer Dragoon laser slingshot for some reason.

Trash enemies melt, big enemies take some dedication and attention and really do feel like P5 enemies. I'm digging the game a lot more now that I have some more tools in my tool chest. For Bond stuff I've focused on Sophie's shop and drop upgrades. Anything else that ends up being really important when points are at a premium?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't remember the real "must-haves", but avoid buying the stat ups, they're laughably useless.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The one that boosts bond rate, mask drops, and ranks of chests you can open are all pretty good

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The one that ups the effectiveness of recipes is also good and really important in the mid- to lategame.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

anakha posted:

The one that ups the effectiveness of recipes is also good and really important in the mid- to lategame.
Yes, I remember this being super good actually.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, don’t sleep on the skill that increases effectiveness of items, because 1) it affects revives, turning the revive that brings you back at 50% HP to brining you back to 90%, and 2) it affects SP restoring items as well.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

S.D. posted:

Yeah, don’t sleep on the skill that increases effectiveness of items, because 1) it affects revives, turning the revive that brings you back at 50% HP to brining you back to 90%, and 2) it affects SP restoring items as well.

Oh snap, then yeah I need to grab that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Not exactly news, but I haven't seen anyone here talking about it. About a week ago, the official Atlus YouTube channel uploaded the opening movie to the original PS1 Revelations: Persona, and today they uploaded the opening movies for the Persona 2 duology. Maybe this means something? Just as likely it's just to have something to upload, but who knows? Some quick ports for Switch/Steam might be nice. I already have P1 on PSP and IMO it's not very good, but I'd be interested in picking up P2 on Switch.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

They said already that it's just because of the 25th anniversary, they're uploading every persona opening from start to finish on a weekly basis and there's not anything else to it (for now).

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
hoping that by posting about it I jinx it into existence, but I can't believe they havent announced a pc port of p5r. They released strikers, the sequel. They released p4 gold, and it sold a ton. its the anniversery, and so far... nothing. All we get is arena, which isn't even the same genre of game. I mean it seems like such an obvious slam dunk. The game came out 5/6 years ago. come on already atlus! lol

I'm even starting to believe the nonsense rumors that they might have a secret 10 year exclusivity deal with sony. but why would they?

Mirello fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 11, 2022

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Mirello posted:

hoping that by posting about it I jinx it into existence, but I can't believe they havent announced a pc port of p5r. They released strikers, the sequel.

As far as P5S it runs on the same basic engine that Omega force uses to make like a zillion musou games on different platforms so it was probably relatively easy to cross platform release on PS4, Switch and PC. P5 itself has its own engine developed by Atlus so it's probably not as easy to port. But Atlus is just weird in general, like they also released only the original version of Catherine on PC at the same time as releasing the remade version on consoles only.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mirello posted:

hoping that by posting about it I jinx it into existence, but I can't believe they havent announced a pc port of p5r. They released strikers, the sequel. They released p4 gold, and it sold a ton. its the anniversery, and so far... nothing. All we get is arena, which isn't even the same genre of game. I mean it seems like such an obvious slam dunk. The game came out 5/6 years ago. come on already atlus! lol

I'm even starting to believe the nonsense rumors that they might have a secret 10 year exclusivity deal with sony. but why would they?

Remind me in 5 years :v:

I feel like eh, we won't see it anytime soon but I can still hope it'd happen someday.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm pretty deep into Strikers right now and I am digging it the more I play. It's a rough transition at first but once you unlock some stuff it's more of a joy to play. Technical dodges add a lot to the gameplay for me rather than just smashing everything to bits. That said I ended up experimenting with some fusion loops before I take on Stark Zuckerberg. I ended up putting my super enhanced unit (transfers 99 stats) into a Seth (which is a complete killer) but I'm not sure how to fuse Seth into something else so I can keep that going. Would it be better to start another Pyro Jack loop or will I get I get forward fusions with Seth at higher levels?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just wrapped up the Platinum on Persona 5 Strikers. It was really good and fun! It's stripped down compared to Royal, but it works. It's light and fun but absolutely nails the feeling of being a Persona 5 sequel. The mechanics like baton pass and weaknesses work really well in the action format too. Everything feels super dynamic. I never did catch any references to Royal in it though which was a bummer. The simplified Persona system was super rewarding if you engage with it, especially with how personas work in the actiony battles. Merciless difficulty was a bit of a bear but you can pretty much instakill even the miniboss enemies with a souped up Alice, or keep even the Reaper 100% locked down with Black Frost and never take a hit.

I'd like to see more Persona 5 because I really dig that cast and while I'd prefer a proper turn based style game, another Strikers would not hurt my feelings.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 18, 2022

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Levantine posted:

I'd like to see more Persona 5 because I really dig that cast and while I'd prefer a proper turn based style game, another Strikers would not hurt my feelings.

Careful, that's how you get fighting game spin-offs

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

This is a pro, not a con. :colbert:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

lunar detritus posted:

Strikers is worlds better than Arena was at feeling like the game that spawned it, IMO.

I really liked Zenkichi as a character and I think Persona needs more playable adults again. I haven't been in High School in over 30 years so I relate to the old folks more than the kids these days. I like it when characters have real, adult concerns. I doubt P6 will follow that route but man it would be nice.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Levantine posted:

I really liked Zenkichi as a character and I think Persona needs more playable adults again. I haven't been in High School in over 30 years so I relate to the old folks more than the kids these days. I like it when characters have real, adult concerns. I doubt P6 will follow that route but man it would be nice.

The true Eternal Punishment was Atlus teasing us with good adult playable characters and then never doing it again.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The Dancing games are good if you haven't played them. 3 and 5 have social link-style vignettes for the main cast. The rhythm part is relatively simple, but the music is obviously good and there's loads of extras and fan service. They landed with a thud and disappeared but they're really just too expensive for what they are at full price. 3's the best since you get to see nice updated models for the characters but 5's cool too.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
If I just went to the beach at the end of the summer holidays in vanilla/og persona 5, how far through am I?

It's starting to take a bit of stamina to push through, I'm playing for an hour to an hour and a half each night and the story pace is glacial.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

cubicle gangster posted:

If I just went to the beach at the end of the summer holidays in vanilla/og persona 5, how far through am I?

It's starting to take a bit of stamina to push through, I'm playing for an hour to an hour and a half each night and the story pace is glacial.

You're just over halfway. Seriously.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Just got through summer vacation in 5r and yeah the story does just grind to a halt and the days get very samey. Picks up again when you go back to school though

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I recall a lull and frustration with progress during the same period in my first playthrough, for what it's worth.

It's also the last time I remember that particular frustration so....:shrug: take that how you will. I definitely took a couple week break before returning to it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
That's good to hear. My heart sank when artist said I was just over half way but I'll keep plowing on and see if it gets it's hooks in me again.

I'm dying to move onto cyberpunk, but if I put this down there's a 95% chance that'll be it and I'll never go back to it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

cubicle gangster posted:

That's good to hear. My heart sank when artist said I was just over half way but I'll keep plowing on and see if it gets it's hooks in me again.

I'm dying to move onto cyberpunk, but if I put this down there's a 95% chance that'll be it and I'll never go back to it.

I had a couple false starts with P5 and summer was always my burnout point. If you can push through, Paracaidas is right and it picks up big time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
man I always liked the summer because that's when i could concentrate the most on links and the minigames activities

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I honestly wish there were more long stretches where you can just chill out and do links and the side stuff without any real plot. I hated how often on 4 you'd lose a week to poo poo like the school trip or the ski lodge.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The summer months were imo the best months because after you clear Kaneshiro and after you clear Futaba you can really clean up on social stats and confidant ranks

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I honestly wish there were more long stretches where you can just chill out and do links and the side stuff without any real plot. I hated how often on 4 you'd lose a week to poo poo like the school trip or the ski lodge.

Which is funny, because I feel like P4G was much better about "downtime" compared to (at least vanilla) P5.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Summer in 5 is better than summer in 4 because you don't lose access to like half your SLs.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"Over 120 hours of gameplay!" threatens upcoming jrpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I can't tell if I wasn't paying attention and missed it but it feels like ryuji is being a massive dick to Morgana out of absolutely nowhere?
We just finished a palace where you'd have all died in the desert if not for Morgana, and this isn't even a bit of rubbing between comrades, he's just outright poo poo talking and calling him the most useless member of the team.