Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

My only grumble about Beau as a character is she's a bit aggressively in-your-face and verbally combatitive, but one can hardly accuse any of the Mighty Nein of being masters of tact or subtlety.

How can anyone not love Marisha's chair perching when combat is getting intense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Wheeljack posted:

Long time TTPRG player, don't follow CR or any gaming streams or podcasts, seen up to episode 6 of the cartoon and like it very much.

Thought that Pike was a wizard fronting as a cleric, using a magic item to do the healing, since it looked like she was casting Shield in battle.

My library's digital catalog has the Vox Machina Origins graphic novel available. Should I read it, or will there be spoilers for the cartoon?

Origins won’t spoil anything. It tells about all of their adventures during the pre-stream home game. The first two episodes of the show do retcon some things and only cover one pre-stream arc as a way to simplify the story.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Escobarbarian posted:

Watched this batch of episodes and they were…..fine? Nothing offensively bad but nothing I really loved.

i'm in the same boat.

there are some interesting worldbuilding things but the dialogue all feels very 'obvious', for lack of a better term? the fake english accents in the main cast are all pretty painful as well.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I did not know anything about the origins of the series. I decided to watch it because i loved the old Goldbox-CRPGs. So i was already pleased with the first three episodes and it only got better from there. I can get the dislike for Scanlan, but i think it's absolutely fine and even appropriate to have one character going the sex- and fart-humour route. The daggerthrowing half-elf rogue as a trope is far more groan-worthy.
Despite the light tone in the banter the show gets surprisingly visceral and outright malicious. Yeah, the tree-scene... outstanding.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I've watched up to Ep. 5 and it's a pretty fun D&D cartoon. It's fine? Like, I'm not really feeling invested and I think it's because I've been RPing for decades and hearing an orc or whatever spout something like 'Lick my taint, fuckstick!' just brings up cringy memories of my idiot high school self and my idiot high school friends playing RPGs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bou posted:

I did not know anything about the origins of the series. I decided to watch it because i loved the old Goldbox-CRPGs. So i was already pleased with the first three episodes and it only got better from there. I can get the dislike for Scanlan, but i think it's absolutely fine and even appropriate to have one character going the sex- and fart-humour route. The daggerthrowing half-elf rogue as a trope is far more groan-worthy.
Despite the light tone in the banter the show gets surprisingly visceral and outright malicious. Yeah, the tree-scene... outstanding.

Would it shock you to know the actor/player who created said half-elf rogue is a big fan of Dragonlance and Drizzt?

But also to maybe get back on focus to the show itself, but also my earlier point about Keyleth, I'm also pleasantly surprised at how well Ray is handling the acting side, seeing as this is actually a pretty rare leading role for Marisha. (She's usually 'Soldier #2' or 'Additional Voices' most of the time). She's nailing the sweet, slightly naive 'homeschooled girl at college' vibe that the character calls for. Which duh, she created the character from the ground up, but it's still a different experience to read lines other people wrote for your character as opposed to improvising your own dialogue.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 7, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I watched a super cut comparing the Sun Tree scene from the broadcast to the cartoon and had completely forgotten there was another player at the time. When Matt said 8 people were strung up, one of them covered in furs the first thought in my head "They even effigied the bear?"

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I watched a super cut comparing the Sun Tree scene from the broadcast to the cartoon and had completely forgotten there was another player at the time. When Matt said 8 people were strung up, one of them covered in furs the first thought in my head "They even effigied the bear?"

Lol they actually did effigy the bear because Pike originally wasn’t there for the first Briarwood fight but Trinket was.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It’s probably because I didn’t watch the stream, but the tree reveal was just a kinda “huh, that’s sorta ominous” moment for me and I found the zombie giants way more of an intimidating and daunting “oh poo poo” moment, having just watched them struggle to fight against smallish undead dogs and ghosts things.

Glad it was impactful for the fans though. Seems like it was a big moment of the stream.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Brief to Titmouse for the giants: You know Attack On Titan?

That's it, that's the email.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Plus Laudna’s a riot (and scares the hell out of Travis).

I'm only a few episodes into campaign 3 so far but yeah, so far Laudna is an absolute hoot, especially the bit with Pate.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Would it shock you to know the actor/player who created said half-elf rogue is a big fan of Dragonlance and Drizzt?

Haha, not at all. And i don't mind him doing his thing for the party. At least, he's using daggers as a real rogue should and not Longswords. And i'm pleasantly surprised by the tremendous amount of Gnomes. They're the best race and too often downplayed (looking at you, WoW!).
I'm looking forward to where their journey takes them. I even consider leaving the thread for a while because i might start caring about spoilers, which doesn't happen often.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/EmmaFyffe/status/1490756354729865218

While one can only get so drunk during a half hour episode, also play with caution.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol literally the entire cast in the replies to this

https://twitter.com/imaginekatrina/status/1490722907626037251

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bou posted:

I came into it blind too and Scanlan just seems so loving bad. It's one thing to be comic relief but it's another to constantly make sex jokes like a 14 year old. He's too cringey.

The rest of the party is pretty cliche too. Completely confident and mean huntress with silly animal pet, suave half elf dagger rogue, big stupid barbarian giant, unconfident druid that wins every battle with a massive spell once she gets confidence, completely confident and mean artificer that looks like an anime character, and I guess Pike's okay. I think they all work because it's a DnD show, but Scanlan seems too overdone. When they were in Briarwood fighting and Scanlans making sex jokes while resistance fighters are sacrificing their lives for him made it really hard to enjoy the character at all. It takes you right out of the moment.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

This is very pedantic so I'm sorry in advance, but Percy's not actually an Artificer, class-wise. He's a custom subclass of Fighter that Matt made for Taliesin because 5e hadn't introduced Artificer at the time the game transitioned over to 5e from Pathfinder. This is very much to Percy's benefit because it makes him a lot chunkier in terms of HP, gives him more ASIs, more attacks per turn, etc. The only thing he loses is all the magic and Percy's not too bothered by that. He did pick up the Magic Initiate feat at some point in the game to learn how to cast Hex because it was thematically appropriate for him (and also Friends and something else I can't remember) but you will never see him do more magic than that.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

CuwiKhons posted:

He did pick up the Magic Initiate feat at some point in the game to learn how to cast Hex because it was thematically appropriate for him (and also Friends and something else I can't remember) but you will never see him do more magic than that.

:wrong: but thats really for the CR thread rather than here right now

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A couple of the more Easter Eggy things I thought were worth mentioning/critiquing: I think they could've set up Grog's catchphrase in the 2 parter a bit more elegantly. (Hell, you could've riffed on 'How do you wanna do this?' as a set up and it would've been much less clunky AND gotten a twofer). But on the other side, the introduction of Percy's rifle was basically perfect and elegantly introduces the name in a way I'm pretty sure even complete newcomers would start to use it.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I have been rewatching the last 3 episodes as a refresh for the new ones a couple days from now and realized the shopping sequence of Episode 5 didn’t have us get to see Victor :smith:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

That character isn't in Emon. And they fundamentally have to go to Vasselheim next season so it'll probably happen then.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

CuwiKhons posted:

That character isn't in Emon. And they fundamentally have to go to Vasselheim next season so it'll probably happen then.

Oh yeah. We probably won’t see any of that until S2. I look forward to seeing that come alive.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Oh yeah. We probably won’t see any of that until S2. I look forward to seeing that come alive.

I mean, Matt brought it alive at one point!

Meanwhile the watch party is live on twitch. Tonight we get Taliesin, Laura, and Liam.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Another Q&A for The Legend of Vox Machina is up on YouTube, this one covering episodes 4-6. A lot of neat concept art in this one for each episode.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Episode 7 is titled Scanbo. Hype!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Wyld Karde posted:

Episode 7 is titled Scanbo. Hype!
If there's no Burt Reynolds reference in the art... :bahgawd:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"Who's the sixth barrel for?"

OMG, the score is literally referencing the Rambo theme!

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 11, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the everlight is anime as hell, i loving love it -- the sun exploding into existence was a suitably cool entrance for the first Legit God we have seen

e: i also like that their Pike arc is her realizing that the only reason she was cut off from the everlight is that she made it real herself via guilt over dumb moralistic "it's wrong to party with your friends and have fun" poo poo her god Does Not Care About At All lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 11, 2022

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
hahahaha. Pike does her divine glowy thing and a zombie reacts with a literal jaw drop.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just like in the original, Pike shows up and instantly saves everyone all the time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It feels like this is what Ashley conceived Pike as and was never quite able to fully reconcile on camera. Like the synthesis of the two sides was kind of the missing piece.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Holy poo poo, Pike :stare:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
These episodes are so good. It simply keeps getting better and better.

I hope Amazon funds hundreds of episodes, cuz goddamn.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A little sad they went more serious and impressionistic for the Sun Tree, but I get it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Pike being an Astral Projection because she was playing via skype Awesome

Scanlan "gently caress me that's why"

All 3 episodes just loving owned

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I really like this show. They’ve been getting better and better. Also the acting is top notch.

Favorite low key thing of those three episodes for me was Vex’s reaction when Vax stood up for Keylith(sp?) by grabbing her hand and you could tell it was the first time ever he took someone else’s side like that with her.

Pike and Grog rule. They’re my favorite characters so far.

Robobot fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 11, 2022

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

gently caress that was awesome, and what a great cliffhanger for next week too. And we got Sylas and Delilah backstory! It was kind of self explanatory since he's a vampire and she's a necromancer, but we didn't get to see it in the show because they certainly didn't talk about it to other people. I love villains who genuinely love each other but it doesn't make them any less evil.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like that this show is pretty definitively making things darker than they were during the campaign. In the campaign the Duke ends up captured, locked up, and trotted out to do arm wrestling competitions during Whitestone festivals and such. Here it's just nope, Get kneecapped, killed by villagers, and hung from the Sun Tree you jerk!.

It should be a fun final stretch here. My only real criticism of the show is that while the overall animation quality isn't bad, it's pretty clear where they cut some corners and they definitely took every chance they could get to have a character in the frame but not moving. Animation's real expensive and tough though, so it's still coming across much better than I expected it to.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I’m loving the show but the Vax/Keyleth romance will never not be cringey as poo poo.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This gets better every week. I was laughing the entire Scanlan solo adventure and that was probably my favorite part of the show so far. Him busting in on the big guy taking a poo poo killed me. This show has turned out a thousand times better than I expected and I hope it is getting enough attention to have many many more seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

NowonSA posted:

It should be a fun final stretch here. My only real criticism of the show is that while the overall animation quality isn't bad, it's pretty clear where they cut some corners and they definitely took every chance they could get to have a character in the frame but not moving. Animation's real expensive and tough though, so it's still coming across much better than I expected it to.

Watching the watch-alongs it's coming across as annoying in a lot aspects. How they were happy Trinket isn't on screen because a bear is the hardest thing to animate ever apparently. Guess what, he's also the mascot of the group, and beloved by all. Better get used to animating a loving bear, because you're going to get poo poo all over if you simply stop showing him. Do they need more money to animate? Because guess what, they HAVE MORE MONEY.

Everything used to be hand drawn, maybe go back to doing that. Stay off my lawn.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 11, 2022