Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I like to make citrus cordials or syrups, especially if I have a lot of citrus to juice or go through. Limes are more difficult to zest but you could juice all of the limes and then cover the spent shells in sugar to make an oleosaccharum. Use the lime juice (or water if you want to keep them separate) to dissolve all the oily sugar the next day and use the lime shell syrup to bolster the lime flavor profile. I’d bet there’s a beautiful floral note that gets lost when you just use the juice. That way you could add more regular lime juice to adjust the acidity without needing too many bottles/ingredients for showtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Maestro posted:

I like to make citrus cordials or syrups, especially if I have a lot of citrus to juice or go through. Limes are more difficult to zest but you could juice all of the limes and then cover the spent shells in sugar to make an oleosaccharum. Use the lime juice (or water if you want to keep them separate) to dissolve all the oily sugar the next day and use the lime shell syrup to bolster the lime flavor profile. I’d bet there’s a beautiful floral note that gets lost when you just use the juice. That way you could add more regular lime juice to adjust the acidity without needing too many bottles/ingredients for showtime.

Or you could just squeeze some peel over the top of the cocktail, if you wanted a more efficient extraction method for the skin oils.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If he's bringing a mobile bar with a sink setup you're probably not overpaying imo

Re: calamansi. I've used it a bunch. Think of it like grapefruit. You'll almost certainly want some lemon or lime alongside it to support it because it's just a bit too dry and bitter to use alone.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 29, 2022

Sirreal
Jul 27, 2014

I just heard columbia room is closing. Gotta make my pilgrimage.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Good luck, it's got about a week left. I'm sad to see it go, but I'm not surprised. It was just the worst possible concept for COVID times and it never really recovered from the brain drain caused by the pandemic. It will always be a formative bar for me and I'm proud to have been a part of it's heyday. Mixed feelings about death and co. taking it over, mostly because I find it personally irking that the two bars with the most name recognition in DC will now be a Lyan bar and a Death & Co.

Sirreal
Jul 27, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

Good luck, it's got about a week left. I'm sad to see it go, but I'm not surprised. It was just the worst possible concept for COVID times and it never really recovered from the brain drain caused by the pandemic. It will always be a formative bar for me and I'm proud to have been a part of it's heyday. Mixed feelings about death and co. taking it over, mostly because I find it personally irking that the two bars with the most name recognition in DC will now be a Lyan bar and a Death & Co.

I sympathize with that, especially on Death&Co replacing it. Luckily got a spot tonight so one last hurrah. I'm newer to the DC bartender scene, but you are right the landscape has shifted a lot from the pandemic.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I made a jellied punch last night! It ended up quite good, even though I think I could have handled the gelatin a little better. It was around 1 packet of gelatin per liter of punch. The recipe was a riff on Wondrich's Oxford Punch:

Berry Preserves Punch

16 oz. Ventura Spirits strawberry brandy
16 oz. kirsch
16 oz. rich rose wine
8 oz. white sugar
8 oz. lemon juice
2 oz. maraschino
1 oz. creme de Violette
1.5 quarts water
3 packets unflavored gelatin

Oleo-saccharum with lemons and sugar, mix with lemon juice. Bloom gelatin in 1 cup cold water, then mix with 3 cups boiling water. Combine with lemon/sugar, then mix in the spirits, wine, liqueurs, and remaining water. Stir well, and immediately bottle and refrigerate. Serve without ice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

And just like that, a category of cocktail I never knew! Thanks!

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Making dueling team color inspired cocktails for my Super Bowl party. Finally a chance to get rid of my ancient bottle of blue curaçao! I think I’ll do an aperol Negroni for the bengals and something with rum, blue curaçao, and pineapple for the rams.

Making equal volumes of each to predict the “winner” based on least remaining. Can’t wait for my in law to chug it all at the last minute to win a bet.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
If you make a negroni and a sweet rum drink, the rum drink will win considering most people's taste lol

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Can I get away with just throwing in defrosted passion fruit pulp into a Saturn,or do I really need to make it into a syrup first?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If you make a negroni and a sweet rum drink, the rum drink will win considering most people's taste lol

Maybe. In that case I win because i prefer the Negroni to the sweet blue drink.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

Carillon posted:

Can I get away with just throwing in defrosted passion fruit pulp into a Saturn,or do I really need to make it into a syrup first?

I'm pretty sure the passion fruit syrup recipe from Beachbum Berry is just equal parts passion fruit pulp and simple syrup (heated up together), so if you already have some simply lying around just making a small little 1:1 batch.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
https://thehardtimes.net/blog/we-swapped-all-the-malort-at-this-bar-with-piss-flavored-gasoline-and-no-one-said-anything/

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ok, that was funny.

Though if my mood is right I actually do like Malört. It's bitter and tastes like dirt and dandelion, but sometimes that's what I'm looking for.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like amaros and herbal liqueurs, I'm finding. Turns out what I enjoy isn't so much being drunk, it's sipping interesting flavors. So now it's akvavit and Meletti and Montenegro and Benedictine and that sort of thing.

And some days Malört is exactly what I'm in the mood for.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Everyone describes Malort differently to the point that I assume they must have terrible batch control.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Everyone describes Malort differently to the point that I assume they must have terrible batch control.

Malort is much like Silent Hill, in that it tastes like a different combination of nightmares to each person based on their past sins.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Most of the herbal stuff tastes that way. Everyone is sensitive to different stuff.

I've never tasted artichoke, but I don't imagine it tastes anything like Cynar.

I do like a fernet branca on its own now and then. I pick up a lot of menthol-like flavors that I dig.

I definitely find I'm much more into dark and rich bitter (Cynar, etc) over bright bitter (Campari, aperol, etc).

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I tried a shot of fernet branca a couple months ago and that was maybe the worst thing I've ever drank. Truly some foul flavors at work there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I really wanted to like it, but yeah, just overpowering licorice and toothpaste.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Fernet rules. Try a Ferrari—equal parts Fernet and Campari.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You have to drink it straight in order to be like Alfred in that one Batman movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Scythe posted:

How about just two parts Campari

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I think Fernet Branca is a bit overrated and overpowering. Yet I came up with 3 uses for it:

Using the menta version in my whiskey-mint drink (the menta is more gentle)

Microdosing my anise heavy sazerac with it. Weird licorice thing going on kinda backs up the flavors and adds complexity.

Putting a little bit (maybe 5%?) in my amaro/aperitivo blend

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I like fernet branca straight quite a bit. However, my preferred time to drink it is when I have a sore throat and use it like sipping cough syrup. The taste powers through whatever cold you have, and the fact that it's 40% soothes the throat. :D

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Scythe posted:

I prefer Frenört, equal parts Fernet and Malört :getin:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Alarbus posted:

I like fernet branca straight quite a bit. However, my preferred time to drink it is when I have a sore throat and use it like sipping cough syrup. The taste powers through whatever cold you have, and the fact that it's 40% soothes the throat. :D

It wasn’t even banned during Prohibition because it was classified as a medicine

still was less popular than bathtub gin

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Scythe posted:

Johnny Truant posted:

I prefer Frenört, equal parts Fernet and Malört :getin:

Consider a Fernardo: Equal parts Fernet and Luxardo Maraschino. Alternately, I've made this for myself quite a bit lately:

.5 oz Luxardo
1 oz. Fernet
2 oz. Wild Turkey 101

I haven't named it because no one ever wants me to make it for them, but it's good as hell.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Fernet is a perfectly fine amaro with its own uses that has been blown up by brotender culture into something amazing and special. It's good and serves its purpose, like anything else.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Kenning posted:

Consider a Fernardo: Equal parts Fernet and Luxardo Maraschino. Alternately, I've made this for myself quite a bit lately:

.5 oz Luxardo
1 oz. Fernet
2 oz. Wild Turkey 101

I haven't named it because no one ever wants me to make it for them, but it's good as hell.

I might try this tonight. I can't imagine equal parts maraschino but I am one of those people that always cuts maraschino in half compared to bartenders' specs. Stirred, up?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Well, the Fernardo is generally treated as a shot, and it is too sweet for me. The cocktail I do I usually serve on the rocks, but that's just cause I'm lazy. Stirred, up, lemon twist would probably be the ideal service.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ah, my 10 oz. bottle of Peychaud's has arrived.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I drink a Fernet like, all the time. My favorite amaro for sure. I even keep around brands other than Branca, though I always have Branca on hand.

Why yes I did spend some time in Argentina in my 20s, why do you ask?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Having drunk mainly Tanqueray and Steinhart gins for the last year, the bottle of Tanqueray Ten I bought for the holidays tastes of black pepper/ grapefruit rind to the point of being a distraction

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Having drunk mainly Tanqueray and Steinhart gins for the last year, the bottle of Tanqueray Ten I bought for the holidays tastes of black pepper/ grapefruit rind to the point of being a distraction

I like Tanqueray 10. I'm not a piney gin fan, though, so it tracks. The Botanist is my current favorite, but the Nolet's silver label makes a drat fine clean Martini (gently caress olives to hell and back).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just got curious about alternatives to Luxardo Maraschino and grabbed a bottle of Maraska. And wow, it's way less cloying and more interesting, and actually works on its own.

This should change the aviation game significantly

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I like Branca a lot but think Jelenik and Leopold are better versions. I'd a fun category and one yet I'm always happy to try variations in. Re: Malört, it always tastes like a mix of hairspray and green tea to me, but it's not bad, though unique.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I went to Hawksmoor and had their sour cherry negroni. I loved it and want to recreate it. The negroni bit is fine, but there are two components I hope to get advice on:

The sour cherry flavour - what's a good additive to use for this? Knowing virtually nothing about making cocktails, what brand and type of product should I be looking for? A syrup? Some sort of extract?

The cherry garnish - I love maraschino cherries but these are not them. It was more like a canned sour cherry with much more of the sourness preserved, and much softer. Does this sound like anything I'd be able to get?

I'm in the UK, if that matters for brands and shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The recipe is freely available on the internet:

https://punchdrink.com/recipes/sour-cherry-negroni/