Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
The best therapy about this thread is that it's low traffic and everyone goes to bed.

e: proper snipe.

Basic Poster has issued a correction as of 10:16 on Feb 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Basic Poster posted:

The best therapy about this thread is that it's low traffic and everyone goes to bed.

i dont sleep

i merely wait

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raine posted:

i dont sleep

i merely wait

good news ain’t coming, go get some sleep

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Fly Molo posted:

good news ain’t coming, go get some sleep

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

yeah i don’t need a bunch of conspiracy nonsense about space too

lol

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1492147424080531460

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

We all knew this day would come

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Basic Poster posted:

We all knew this day would come

game changer!!!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

so you’re saying things don’t look that bad yet

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mediaphage posted:

yeah i don’t need a bunch of conspiracy nonsense about space too

lol

seems cool and good my dude, great way to get a little bit of oil to perk you up in the morning

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
80 million. For one tech bro thing. That's a series A. For some bullshit pptx for idiots.

At least someone rich dork may slightly "suffer" instead of buying jpegs or something

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i've worked in trades journalism for a long time so it's never a surprise but like it still kills me how everybody uses the same fuckin words

game changer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i've worked in trades journalism for a long time so it's never a surprise but like it still kills me how everybody uses the same fuckin words

game changer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

a new paradigm

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'd like more things like this. We need a larger archaeological record that we knew very well what was going on and how to fix it and just killed ourselves anyways. It will be very poignant for the next sapient race to pick over the ruins.

we didn’t kill ourselves though (yet), we just killed our future

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Everyone just needs to go outside, take a deep breath, and hold it for ten years.

Boom. Game-changer.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
when you buy a loot box and it has a rare skin inside. game changer

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

mediaphage posted:

Arent these all madlib AI written poo poo anyway?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shima Honnou posted:

when you buy a loot box and it has a rare skin inside. game changer

when you open a carbon capture plant that emits more than it captures: game changer

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

listen just trust the scientific experts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcXXbuR244

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Trabisnikof posted:

"I wonder what effect DDT has on gut flora?"

<Google Scholar> "DDT effects gut flora" return

gently caress it, not this morning.

Idiots.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
The gameshark was a game changer

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

A mosquito was heard to complain
A chemist has poisoned my brain
The cause of his sorrow
was paradichloro-
diphenyltrichloroethane

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Highly recommend reading Silent Spring for some revealing mid-20th century pesticide insanity

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Arent these all madlib AI written poo poo anyway?

honestly no, for the most part. that's mostly things like automated reports and poo poo. a lot of these blogs pay bloggers in developing countries pennies on the dollar instead. to be honest i'm not sure there's much of a difference in the quality of writing since they're mostly esl and it shows because almost nobody below the level of seven figure monthly audiences pays for a copy editor

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

T-Paine posted:

Highly recommend reading Silent Spring for some revealing mid-20th century pesticide insanity

The amount of people who see communism as irredeemably ignorant and evil because of Mao's ill-fated pests campaign, who also fail to assign blame for the widespread use of industrial pesticides in the west.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
All justification for future genocide/enslavement, again.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

what a loving douchebag lol

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Nuclear fusion does get bandied about like a technocratic magic bullet but we'll never know for sure because this is what we chose to do

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Maximo Roboto posted:

Nuclear fusion does get bandied about like a technocratic magic bullet but we'll never know for sure because this is what we chose to do

Fusion doesn’t do anything better than fission except spend public funds on nuclear weapons adjacent research.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The oil industry will astroturf fusion out of existence the moment it looks viable, as they did to fission so many years ago.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

Fusion doesn’t do anything better than fission except spend public funds on nuclear weapons adjacent research.

this sounds... wrong?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

this sounds... wrong?

Yeah, I could have sworn Nuclear fission reactors were a byproduct of nuclear weapons.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I could have sworn Nuclear fission reactors were a byproduct of nuclear weapons.

no, the "fusion doesn't do anything better than fission" part

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Perhaps they mean the research and from a practical here and now sense

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

There's two things with fusion: engineering Q > 1 will probably actually happen by 2030 by at least one or two ventures, but fusion will forever have a much higher LCOE than current renewables (ie it isn't economical or practical). It has applications in space propulsion and the navy will probably be interested at some point, but there's not enough tritium in the world by an order of magnitude to ever fully provide full fusion energy for the whole planet.

If this were all happening in the economics of like 30 years ago it would be super promising, but solar PV and wind have gotten STUPIDLY cheap and are so much easier to install.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

this sounds... wrong?

in what way? from an electricity generation perspective:

fission is fusion but "worse" because it actually exists and we have empirical evidence of its disadvantages

fusion is fission but "better" because since it doesn't exist neither do any of its disadvantages and we can pretend they don't exist since no one is actually making a commercializable design

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Perhaps they mean the research and from a practical here and now sense

yeah sorry for sure all the OG fission research was related to nuclear weapons, I was just meaning the current research into fusion weapons and in particular the computer modeling stuff

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Feb 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Iron Crowned posted:

they were pretty much developed to test that sustained fission was possible, and to make plutonium, both of which were necessary for nuclear weapons. i guess technically you can go with uranium based weapons and not need a reactor, but mass producing those is basically impossible since highly enriched uranium requires a whole lot of work to separate from natural uranium

the whole "making power" thing was way down the list of priorities