Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ll listen to the trauma drama but by appointment only and at 500 dollars an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Can't stand Adam Driver and his stupid looking face.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I watched a zombie movie with him and I think Bill Murray and holy poo poo it was terrible

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chemtrailologist posted:

Can't stand Adam Driver and his stupid looking face.

His face and body are so loving weird

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Robobot posted:

When I worked retail I just assumed the people doing that were really really lonely and would cap them off at about 3 minutes with a "well, it was nice meeting you" and either walking away or waving over the next customer. Never had anyone get huffy or upset about it, thankfully.
When I was working in a call centre, if someone started talking about anything other than the thing I was paid to pay attention to I'd just tune them out and wait for them to stop. You want to spend ten minutes rambling about your life? That's fine. I'm getting paid for this and you're not, so I'll say "mm-hmm" and "yep" at appropriate intervals. Doesn't bother me.

Badactura posted:

Everyone loves talking about themselves
I hate talking about myself. Talking about my opinions? Sure. Love that. Talking about myself? No. gently caress off. I have nothing to say. gently caress off.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I like how every picture of a donut or whatever gets 40 000 American comments about diabetes but then they all actually do get diabetes from just their regular food, not desserts, because it's literally full of sugar. (That and they call burnt-coffee-flavoured sugar water "coffee".)

e: I don't like them getting diabetes, because in the US it's a deadly disease.

Yeah. They'd put fuckin corn syrup in milk, bread, or toilet paper if they could.

Oh wait, they literally do put it in Bread, and in baby formula.

They eat so much of the poo poo that it ends up in their breast milk too lol

Tiggum posted:

When I was working in a call centre, if someone started talking about anything other than the thing I was paid to pay attention to I'd just tune them out and wait for them to stop. You want to spend ten minutes rambling about your life? That's fine. I'm getting paid for this and you're not, so I'll say "mm-hmm" and "yep" at appropriate intervals. Doesn't bother me.

I hate talking about myself. Talking about my opinions? Sure. Love that. Talking about myself? No. gently caress off. I have nothing to say. gently caress off.

They're the same thing. When you talk about your opinions you're talking about what you like. Usually, nobody else gives a poo poo lol, but here in this thread is a real special place where people do want to hear your opinions, if only to rag on them

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Tiggum posted:

I think if you're talking about your own opinions you're talking about yourself

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The only good reaction videos are the ones where the reactors spend most of their time watching in respectful silence.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No it's Italians getting mad at Americans cooking.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

alexandriao posted:

They're the same thing. When you talk about your opinions you're talking about what you like.

Badactura posted:

I think if you're talking about your own opinions you're talking about yourself

I guess technically? But in reality there's a very clear difference. Some people love to talk about themselves. Like, tell you, a complete stranger, about their life, their medical issues, recent conversations with their families. Things that you have no context for or possible reason to care about.

If a stranger wants to tell me their opinions about some recent popular movie, there's the possibility that I may have seen it as well, and I've probably at least heard of it and know some basic facts about it. If they want to tell me about the argument they had with their sister over whether she's too lenient with her dog, well, I don't know the sister and I don't know her dog. It's not in the same category.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Break the spaghetti in half before tossing it into the pot and set the timer for 20 minutes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tiggum posted:

I guess technically? But in reality there's a very clear difference. Some people love to talk about themselves. Like, tell you, a complete stranger, about their life, their medical issues, recent conversations with their families. Things that you have no context for or possible reason to care about.

If a stranger wants to tell me their opinions about some recent popular movie, there's the possibility that I may have seen it as well, and I've probably at least heard of it and know some basic facts about it. If they want to tell me about the argument they had with their sister over whether she's too lenient with her dog, well, I don't know the sister and I don't know her dog. It's not in the same category.

Tbh I cannot think of anything less interesting to me than some rando’s opinion on a movie, so different strokes for different folks

Gaius Marius posted:

A decent excuse to post this

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Nuclear take PHUO incoming:

France makes better pizza than Italy

Italian cuisine isn't even particularly good, in general

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Tiggum posted:

I mean a stranger telling me a random movie opinion vs a random anecdote about their kidney operation are both communicating something about themselves. Ones insufferable and likes movies and one's insufferable and has kidney problems

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nuclear take PHUO incoming:

France makes better pizza than Italy

Italian cuisine isn't even particularly good, in general

lmao

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If Phil Ochs was transported forward in time from 1973/75, he would become the most legendary D&D poster since Caro.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grouchio posted:

If Phil Ochs was transported forward in time from 1973/75, he would become the most legendary D&D poster since Caro.

Is that the records guy or a relative?

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is that the records guy or a relative?

No he wrote music in the 60s about how American liberal progressives are bad

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Badactura posted:

Oh it's the records guy's brother then I think.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Badactura posted:

He wrote about a lot. Generally an incredibly good folk musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB-BBVQLnxI

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

FishBulbia posted:

He wrote about a lot. Generally an incredibly good folk musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB-BBVQLnxI
I always confused this photo for young Paul Ryan

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
"Outside of a Small Circle of Friends" is still a loving phenomenal song.

vvv :mad: vvv

credburn has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Feb 12, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

saying gently caress all the time is annoying and crass

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't trust people who don't swear

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I have a good solution to that it's use it sparingly and when I do swear I say it in a cartoonishly exaggerated Bostonian yarp because that's extra funny.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"gently caress" and "like" make up a full half of my vocabulary, and I am annoying, can confirm this one.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
overabundance of swearing is kind of annoying in any language tbh

plus, swearing loses its bite if you swear too much

phuo: there's nothing more cringe than "creative" Joss Whedonesque swearing (eg poo poo like "fucknugget" or whatever). again, this applies to english and to all other languages that share this "feature"

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I’ve always liked “poo poo bird” and “chucklefuck”, do those count?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Robobot posted:

I’ve always liked “poo poo bird” and “chucklefuck”, do those count?

"shitbird" eh, not really, depends on the context/inflection i guess

"chucklefuck" unfortunately, yes

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sometimes old time swears sound nice, especially if you don't want to swear around kids.

I like the word poltroon for instance. That and "feckless" or servile.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Josef bugman posted:

Sometimes old time swears sound nice, especially if you don't want to swear around kids.

People who hear you say "poltroon" assume you are saying an obscure slur.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I must be out of date with slurs or don’t know how to pronounce poltroon because nothing is jumping to mind.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It came into Engliah from the old French and means "coward". I always liked terms like Martinet as well, which means someone who is strict of discipline to a stupid degree and enjoys doling out punishment.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Feb 12, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nurmie posted:

overabundance of swearing is kind of annoying in any language tbh

plus, swearing loses its bite if you swear too much

phuo: there's nothing more cringe than "creative" Joss Whedonesque swearing (eg poo poo like "fucknugget" or whatever). again, this applies to english and to all other languages that share this "feature"

Turpa kiinni, äitiinkakkaaja.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

nurmie posted:

AKA the Ryan Reynolds corollary

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Josef bugman posted:

"Dog faced pony soldier", the most insulting swear from 1872.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

nurmie posted:

strongly agreed. 'chucklefuck' 'asshattery' 'shitlord', etc. all terrible

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
vittu saatana perkele

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Finnish sounds annoying. Like a cat chirping at you all the time, but we must pretend the equivalent to "Zeus" is a very clever cuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
vitun saatanan perkeleen vittu, vittu saatana