Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rutibex posted:

wait what the hell, story? I thought this was a Path of Exile I'm not reading any drat story. when does this stupid game unlock it's Friday :argh:

It's not a Path of Exile at all. Lost Ark is a Korean MMO. It superficially resembles an ARPG like Path of Exile or Diablo but it very, very much is not. It has the same isometric perspective and dungeons involve fighting big groups of enemies, but structurally it's a KMMO through and through.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

thats called a negative edge input hth. I think the OP just chose a phrase that is woefully misleading then has to spend a poo poo ton of effort to explain it.

"Negative edge input" doesn't work here because the point is to count the total number of A-presses in the run. That's why the notation uses numbers and why ".5 A-press" makes sense for this individual level as a notational thing. Other levels might require 1, 2, or 3 A-presses, so just saying "and this one is a negative edge input" would be more confusing than "this one is 0.5" in context.

Anyway it also doesn't matter if the term makes sense to us because none of us are trying to beat Mario 64 with as few A-button presses as possible.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

thats called a negative edge input hth. I think the OP just chose a phrase that is woefully misleading then has to spend a poo poo ton of effort to explain it.

Eh, having something that works additively is important to what he's doing and "half press/ .5" is appropriately six billion syllables shorter when you have to say/write it as often as he does.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it's numerical notation on purpose. The whole point is to say "how many A-button presses does this level add to a full run of the game?" If that number is, for example, 1.5, that means that if you're running the full game, that level adds 1 A-button press, but if you're only doing that level, it requires 2.

It's useful notation specifically in the context of limited A-press Mario 64 runs, and also useful because it makes some people very mad because they refuse to read it any way other than literally.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's literally just 'It doesn't count if I press the button but don't release it!'

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's literally just 'It doesn't count if I press the button but don't release it!'

No, it's not that. If you're running just that level, it counts as a full A-button press, because you pressed the button. But if you're running the whole game, it doesn't add a new A-button press because you already pressed the button in a previous level (where it counted as 1 A-button press) and are only releasing it now.

But that's why it's notated as ".5" and not "0," because if you are running just the one level, you will have to press the button and it will count as 1 in that context.

A .5 means "in a single-level run this counts as 1 A-press, in a full-game playthrough this doesn't add a new A-press to the full run."

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Quite the opposite actually. It's explicitly for tracking it so he can plan when to release it, because it does count.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

It's not a Path of Exile at all. Lost Ark is a Korean MMO. It superficially resembles an ARPG like Path of Exile or Diablo but it very, very much is not. It has the same isometric perspective and dungeons involve fighting big groups of enemies, but structurally it's a KMMO through and through.

Have F2P Korean MMOs started making a comeback? Did they just kind of keep on going and I wasn't paying attention? I assumed all of that stuff went to mobile, so this game feels like a weird throwback in a way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Beartaco posted:

Have F2P Korean MMOs started making a comeback? Did they just kind of keep on going and I wasn't paying attention? I assumed all of that stuff went to mobile, so this game feels like a weird throwback in a way.

I haven't really been paying attention so I don't really know either. Black Desert's still trucking along and getting a sequel I think? Beyond that I don't really know what's out there. I'd sort of assumed a lot of that market went to mobile, too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beartaco posted:

The continue to make a loving fortune and their cash shop mentality grows ever more powerful

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I can't believe I missed the XCOM 2 chat, gently caress

I really DO like the story, actually. I liked how it plunged you right into "OK so they're here now and have been, for a while, and so you truly are just a very small group of folks trying to save the world". People complain about it being hard, and it SHOULD be. I still beat it the first time I played through it without the Avatar Project pips finalizing, but to be fair I was absolutely save scumming. It was a struggle for sure.

What a brilliant move by them with the character creator aspect. Instead of writing laborious backstory that likely would be the same dumb poo poo, now it's "oh no you don't want your first girlfriend from 9th grade to die, do you?!?". And YOU did all the work with adding that squad member. Oregon Trail had it right.

There are a good amount of timers, sure, but it's stress, it's pressure. It should be stressful and getting your squad wrecked by some alien shouldn't be a great time. But the game, as a whole, is (IMO).

However despite being in love with it when I first played it, this thread has lessened my love of it to a degree. But only a bit!

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Ahem:

XCOM 2

Also chimera squad was okay

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Floodixor posted:

Ahem:

XCOM 2

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Xcom 2 is a motherfuckin bloodbath until you get that first armor upgrade

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

xcom 2 had a great concept that's beleaguered from all sides by mediocre design and execution

itry
Aug 23, 2019

XCOM 2... is 94% off on Steam

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

if the press gets you a jump what does the release get you

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

ilmucche posted:

The opportunity to press it again. There is stuff you can do if the button is being held down.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Addicted to heroin.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Xcom 2 is a nutritious part of a complete breakfast. Also I like strategy RPGs.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Slippery slope down that icey luge

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Xcom 2 is a motherfuckin bloodbath until you get that first armor upgrade

It gets so gnarly and is relatively unforgiving that when you DO claw your way into some upgrades it really does feel significant, even if the enemies then also have the guns you have etc afterwards as well which is fuckin cheap, but it's nowhere as bad as the 1/1 scaling that some games do with regards to proportional enemy HP damage etc that effectively makes level progression meaningless

Like it's still hard but to 1-shot dudes that used to give you trouble earlier in any game is a great feeling

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

lol "relatively unforgiving" I've missed 100% shots before

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Here we go with xcom again...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Floodixor posted:

lol "relatively unforgiving" I've missed 100% shots before

Git gud

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Barely anyone wants to watch an average person play an average game on twitch, that's why there are thousands of people independently broadcasting to single digit viewers.

When 15,000 people are watching Topson play a random dota 2 pub it's because he's real good and won 2 The Internationals

There are loads of famous streamers making 6-plus-digits from twitch who are just average or slightly above average in terms of gameplay skill.
Some get there just for being really good at games but there are plenty who make a living on personality alone.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Floodixor posted:

I can't believe I missed the XCOM 2 chat, gently caress

I really DO like the story, actually. I liked how it plunged you right into "OK so they're here now and have been, for a while, and so you truly are just a very small group of folks trying to save the world". People complain about it being hard, and it SHOULD be. I still beat it the first time I played through it without the Avatar Project pips finalizing, but to be fair I was absolutely save scumming. It was a struggle for sure.

What a brilliant move by them with the character creator aspect. Instead of writing laborious backstory that likely would be the same dumb poo poo, now it's "oh no you don't want your first girlfriend from 9th grade to die, do you?!?". And YOU did all the work with adding that squad member. Oregon Trail had it right.

There are a good amount of timers, sure, but it's stress, it's pressure. It should be stressful and getting your squad wrecked by some alien shouldn't be a great time. But the game, as a whole, is (IMO).

However despite being in love with it when I first played it, this thread has lessened my love of it to a degree. But only a bit!

I think my problem with XCom 2 (and one I wonder if other players had) was by the time it launched, I was pretty loving good at Enemy Unknown and would only play it on Iron Man mode. When XCom 2 hit, playing it on anything less (allowing save states) didn't have the same high, but we still needed to learn the new enemies and game rhythm. So I was left with two deeply unsatisfying choices - play, but have a "meaningless" game where I can default to earlier save states, or just crash into failing and restarting until I shelve the game because I never learned the new enemies or strategies. XCom 2's biggest problem is XCom.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Disco Pope posted:

I think my problem with XCom 2 (and one I wonder if other players had) was by the time it launched, I was pretty loving good at Enemy Unknown and would only play it on Iron Man mode. When XCom 2 hit, playing it on anything less (allowing save states) didn't have the same high, but we still needed to learn the new enemies and game rhythm. So I was left with two deeply unsatisfying choices - play, but have a "meaningless" game where I can default to earlier save states, or just crash into failing and restarting until I shelve the game because I never learned the new enemies or strategies. XCom 2's biggest problem is XCom.

I had the exact opposite reaction. I went in, first game, iron-man after having played enemy unknown and got god drat pounded and from that moment I was hooked. HOW DARE YOU BEAT ME, GAME!!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I definitely enjoyed 2 more after I hadn't played ew in a long time. I went back and ran a few enemy within campaigns and I really missed the soldier pool and concealment.

That happened with enemy within for me too. The games didn't hook me at first, but then I came back later and they really got their claws in me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I play Destiny 2 and my PvP ratio is like 0.1 KD. To me that's loving hilarious. Apparently people get mad at their number being low? Who cares lol

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Floodixor posted:

but to be fair I was absolutely save scumming.

Was that a fun way for you to play?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Beartaco posted:

save scumming is deep in the psyche of pc gamers, habitually pressing F5 twice a minute since 1994 even when they are not playing a game

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Harrow posted:

Anyway it also doesn't matter if the term makes sense to us because none of us are trying to beat Mario 64 with as few A-button presses as possible.

if you wanted to put it elegantly you would decide that a negative edge input is completely distinct from an "a-press" and you could say you could do the level without any a presses using a negative edge input held over from the level before. But he wants some arbitrary bullshit to count so

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

if you wanted to put it elegantly you would decide that a negative edge input is completely distinct from an "a-press" and you could say you could do the level without any a presses using a negative edge input held over from the level before. But he wants some arbitrary bullshit to count so

I'm with you on this. I enjoy watching that guys videos but the dude loves making up bullshit terms for everything.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone with a brain knows you can't half press a button

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Here's my review of Lost Ark. GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ESC. I just wanted to kill some monsters. Why is this so difficult for some ARPGs to understand?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's not an arpg it's a kMMO with arpg elements

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

Here's my review of Lost Ark. GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ESC. I just wanted to kill some monsters. Why is this so difficult for some ARPGs to understand?

same I tried for like 20 min to kill some monsters but too many anime princes insisted on doing unskipable cutscenes with me instead.

back to PoE, where the story respects my bloodlust

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Apparently everyone loves the parkour in Dying Light 2. It's really solidified my feeling that I hate parkour/platforming in first person. I can jump around with Nathan Drake or Lara Croft all day, but put this poo poo in first person, and it just doesn't work for me.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

oh that's absolutely understandable but I think the only turn-based games I'd played like that up to that point was maybe Fallout 1 and 2

so I went into XCOM 2 blind and was a huge fan of it right away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Beartaco posted:

That's a good question.

I didn't just mash quicksave, but I would save after a significant firefight went well on a map, I'd say. I was absolutely doing it after every turn during any of the 3 DLC miniboss dudes when a turn went by that didn't get half my team eradicated.

I get the appeal of an ironman run and I know it would add a whole new level of tension to it, but I've also tried to leap into a map with only my reserve dudes available and it's just sort of miserable, you get your back against the wall QUICK in XCOM 2 if you don't play well and then it's just kind of a slog of pain until you quit otherwise