Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I do really wish the sound effects were a bit more meaty, that's probably my biggest gripe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Came back to the game and went 23 club, 27 Museum (all shrines), 56 tower (all shrines first try) in a row. After sleeping on the game the mechanics must have settled in because I know Kung Fu.

Have to get some work done but I'll tackle the last level in a bit. Was meant to be a twenty minute Kung Fu break lol.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I do really wish the sound effects were a bit more meaty, that's probably my biggest gripe

True, this and the voice acting are my two issues. Everyone sounds sleepy in cinematics and very casual in fights. It kept irking me once I noticed.

Also do agree with reviewers who said mechanics are too obscure. The worst offender is locking upgrades after a certain age. Its not clear that the coins correspond with decades, or that any will be cut off in the first place. It only specifies after, but you could just as easily put it in the same slot before. There are another few issues like this, but not enough to bring the experience down. This thread has also been a help.

Edit: quick question, to get the best ending do you need to spare all the bosses on your youngest runs? I accidentally merc'd the botanist on my 22 run but spared him at 25 just before.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So I asked before a big dumb question about how do you stand up and I don't think I'm wrong in thinking that if you get hit by Artist2's dropkick you don't get up like normal since your normal get up is in response to other attacks and you don't interact with long distance projectiles the same way and end up eating most of them. It's pretty poo poo frankly and I've done everything I can to get away from them other than consistently git gud to avoid the kick all together (spoilers: dodge way later than you think).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like the muted punches and sounds in general but I agree that the TING noise could be something more punchy. Hopefully they make another game with a bigger team off the back of this.

And hopefully it's the Renaissance rapier fighting game of my dreams. I feel like these guys could make it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I think the chimes work really well if you are using a controller with a speaker in it at least, because that extra tinny speaker in the dualsense makes drat sure you catch those very vital audio cues. I've actually started running without the hud on because it is awfully distracting, and I figure no matter what, my gameplan is always the same. Having the hud off and just trusting that I have that 1 focus point the every once in a while that I want one allows me to focus on what matters, which is the fight.

I got tired of getting locked into the old build so I just started up a new save. I was able to score 2 points of deflect strength off the first stage, and I died but it was in places that I could make it not affect the score, so now I can overwrite that if I need to. I am pretty much entirely avoiding all the Focus-oriented shrine bonuses this time around.

To be honest I don't think it will take me very long to get the skills back.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Play you don't have plat so I can't message you but I think the OP should have some more info for people on the fence, especially with how varied reviews for this have been.

I wrote all this poo poo but use as much or as little you like just pls update the OP with more info for people cheers

New player Q&A

Should I get this? Is it like the dev's previous game Absolver? Is it like Sekiro? Is it a rougelike?
This is a single player fighting game with an in-depth combo and fighting system that has discreet levels and difficult enemies that you will start off getting destroyed by and eventually clown on all day as you get better. Sekiro enjoyers tend to love it. Jury is out on how light a rougelite it is, there are some metaprogression elements and you will most likely play a level multiple times to try and get a clear with fewer deaths, as there is only so much time to die from start to finish. There are five levels and they're all amazing. The level design, environment art, animations, and music are phenomenal. People are going to be talking about this one for a while.

But what is Sifu about?
Revenge and mystery. Sifu is a martial arts brawler with tight combat and light mystical elements like the fact that you come back from the dead because of your cool amulet. Your enemies are well trained, aggressive, and have their own tricks up their sleeves. It's about overcoming your adversaries to deliver your just vengeance, and looking cool while doing so.

Okay but who am I in this, am I Sifu?
You're a martial arts master, you're a detective, you're an orphan with a dead dad and a mystical amulet that lets you rise from the dead at the cost of aging your body until you age out of life and get a game over. You have enemies to vanquish, you have mysteries to solve, and you're on the hunt. (Sifu means master, like martial arts master, you get it)

Show me an ingame screenshot that describes an element of the game's philosophy
That's not a question, but fine, here:

This game is kicking my rear end, what am I missing?
The game doesn't tell you this but things are a lot easier if you default to dodging attacks using what it calls "avoid". This is the left bumper plus down (or left and right) to dodge high attacks and left bumper plus up to dodge sweeps. Most attacks are high attacks.

That's all good but how do I defeat the huge grabby guys?
If you have a weapon heavy attacks destroy them. You can usually get a weapon. Otherwise avoiding their attacks and wearing them down works, or you can burn a focus move.
Or you know, just gently caress 'em up like this:

What's up with shrines and shortcuts? What's up with aging and replaying levels?
Levels have shrines, shrine bonuses are dependent on certain conditions, but shrines always offer the same things and are always in the same place in a level. Some shortcuts bypass shrines but get you to the boss faster. If you replay a level your shrines (at that point and beyond) are wiped when you start and you're essentially rebuilding your shrine bonuses from that point. Obviously, you want to finish a level as young as possible with as many shrines as possible - how you balance that is the strategy of Sifu, as balancing punching people in the face or kicking them in the face or stabbing them in the face is the tactics of Sifu.

Help, help! I've fallen down and can't get up!
Right trigger + left stick to roll out, or light attack to kick out. Don't just move the stick.

Does my permanent unlock progress, before unlocking, persist?
You have to buy the ability to use the skill each time but if you pay for one of the 5x portions of the perm unlock those count between runs, yep. You can always progress.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

signalnoise posted:

To be honest I don't think it will take me very long to get the skills back.

Yeah so on my third session of the game I went from hating the idea of a restart to "it will be fast and easy". Love it when mechanics settle in your mind.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
I have beaten 3 of the bosses and there's not a single level I'm not keen as hell to go back and replay. I just love playing this game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

I have beaten 3 of the bosses and there's not a single level I'm not keen as hell to go back and replay. I just love playing this game.

The museum is amazing. But also so are the others.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I like how all the levels are themed to the five elements.

I also did my first mercy ending on boss 1. Didn't even know that was possible!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yesterday I beat Stage 3 at Age 71. I'm happy to report that today I retried the stage and beat it at Age 70!!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Managed to get stage 2 down to age 25! Stage 3 is completely kicking my rear end though, specifically the boss. The timings of her attacks are so weird.

Also, is it just me or are the two "following" attacks kind of gimped/bugged? Their descriptions imply you can use them to close the distance after hitting them in a way that knocks them back, but in practice it looks like it's only a valid followup after a handful of very specific attacks. So far I've only managed to make it go off after the palm strike, but oddly enough not the push kick, and also not after the various bat attacks that knock people away.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Perestroika posted:

Managed to get stage 2 down to age 25! Stage 3 is completely kicking my rear end though, specifically the boss. The timings of her attacks are so weird.

Also, is it just me or are the two "following" attacks kind of gimped/bugged? Their descriptions imply you can use them to close the distance after hitting them in a way that knocks them back, but in practice it looks like it's only a valid followup after a handful of very specific attacks. So far I've only managed to make it go off after the palm strike, but oddly enough not the push kick, and also not after the various bat attacks that knock people away.

Very good Kung Fu it only gets better.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

It kinda sucks that you play a kung fu master but the enemies are better than you. Is there anything other than Focus moves that work as blockbreakers/unblockables when the enemies just decide to not take damage? Whoever said that the game wants you to be aggressive seems to play a different game than I do, because outside of the first few second of a fight when you can do surprise attacks, it really feels like the only really viable way is to avoid their attacks and then do a short combo, because anything else can just be randomly dodged or even parried, leaving you really open. Especially the bosses, where it really is "avoid combo, to the first two attack of the heavy combo ( because anything beyond that will miss) and then repeat. It especially sucks when enemies do the God Hand demon thing and regen to 150% health instead of dying.
It's the thing that really kills the game for me other stuff having to buy skills 6 times is annoying but I can deal with it. Honestly feel like a game mode where enemies can't dodge/block but are twice as aggressive / twice as many would be a better game.

Also all the fat guy takedowns suck because instead of owning them they do an attack on you , which just feels bad comparably.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
You can keep sweeping to continuously kick big chungi on the floor to prevent them from ever getting up.

Doc marten chicks have armor on their normal kicks but their glowing high kick can be interrupted with a heavy strike into sweep.

Furious boxers should be parried until they try their glowing sweep or palm thrust for a free combo into sweep.

Floor pounds and takedowns automatically stop nearby attackers and thrown projectiles.

Shoving enemies into each other gives a ton of breathing room and try to shove people down stairs.

Charged backfist does a shitton of damage and can be used with any of the 3 weapons. Try it with a bladed weapon!

Chasing strikes is expensive but does a ton of damage and leaves enemies open to sweeps.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
If you hit an enemy while they are in the process of attacking, you will stun them momentarily and can throw them. This works really well with crotch punch, flowing claw, and duck strike because they all evade high attacks, or you can hook intercept or charged backfist to get a similar effect, or time a sweep really well to drop them.

https://i.imgur.com/hspRx87.mp4

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 11, 2022

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Oops, was in such a sprinting punchy haze I seem to have just lamped the sound guy.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Okay, spoil me one thing regarding what I assume is the final boss does he have at least 3 forms? Yes/no. I'm guessing this based on a lack of IMPOSSIBLE GEOMETRYYYY

also he's loving hard

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oldboy reference?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Artelier posted:

Okay, spoil me one thing regarding what I assume is the final boss does he have at least 3 forms? Yes/no. I'm guessing this based on a lack of IMPOSSIBLE GEOMETRYYYY

also he's loving hard

There may be some secret triggers for one, but no, not when I did it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

codo27 posted:

Oldboy reference?

Yeah, it even does the camera pan to over to all the downed guys behind you once you're done with it.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/495308924178661377/940678067037290516/sifu.mp4

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Perestroika posted:

That's exactly it, there are specific moves that cause a "pushed" state. There are other moves that rely on a specific state too, like being able to direction grab someone, which relies on them being in a brief stunned state. The other move I know of that can cause the push state is the front kick at the end of LLH (which I'm calling a teep), which can be reached in multiple ways. For instance, because of the way the combo system works, you can severely gently caress someone up if they're against a wall by doing running L into palm strike into H.

Hel posted:

It kinda sucks that you play a kung fu master but the enemies are better than you. Is there anything other than Focus moves that work as blockbreakers/unblockables when the enemies just decide to not take damage? Whoever said that the game wants you to be aggressive seems to play a different game than I do, because outside of the first few second of a fight when you can do surprise attacks, it really feels like the only really viable way is to avoid their attacks and then do a short combo, because anything else can just be randomly dodged or even parried, leaving you really open. Especially the bosses, where it really is "avoid combo, to the first two attack of the heavy combo ( because anything beyond that will miss) and then repeat. It especially sucks when enemies do the God Hand demon thing and regen to 150% health instead of dying.
It's the thing that really kills the game for me other stuff having to buy skills 6 times is annoying but I can deal with it. Honestly feel like a game mode where enemies can't dodge/block but are twice as aggressive / twice as many would be a better game.

Also all the fat guy takedowns suck because instead of owning them they do an attack on you , which just feels bad comparably.

Would you like me to record a video of what I'm talking about? Basically the best way I can tell you to do attack and defense at the same time is to treat them as occurring separately, but simultaneously. You can dodge or parry pretty much whenever you want, so the idea is to keep up the pressure being absolutely relentless, but at the same time, when an attack comes at you, you're ready and you dodge it the same way as you would if you were just waiting for it. Attacking is something you just happen to be doing at the same time as defending, but defense is prioritized over attack unless you're in the middle of something big that you just can't cancel.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Has anyone found any attacks that flowing claw works really well against? It's so stylish but I can't get it to actually land very reliably.

signalnoise posted:

Would you like me to record a video of what I'm talking about?

Even if he doesn't, I wanna see more. Everyone show me your moves.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 11, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Has anyone found any attacks that flowing claw works really well against? It's so stylish but I can't get it to actually land very reliably.

Do you mean the first swipe or the follow-up attacks? The follow-up Heavy kick is one of my favourite attacks. "Think I'm open? With my back turned? Wha-bam! Heel to the face to put you down."

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Lobok posted:

Do you mean the first swipe or the follow-up attacks? The follow-up Heavy kick is one of my favourite attacks. "Think I'm open? With my back turned? Wha-bam! Heel to the face to put you down."

Specifically getting the first claw swipe to hit. The follow up is great, but I find if it misses I tend to get nailed before the kick can go off.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
One thing about this game that I love is that despite how much I've played it to death in my binge sessions, every time I watch someone else play it they use some move or technique I didn't even know you could do and think "oh that's rad I'm gonna do that from now on too"

I've accepted the fact that I'm never getting a sequel to God Hand but this game will do

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Even if he doesn't, I wanna see more. Everyone show me your moves.

Aight

Here's a new progress vid of stage 1 with all moves unlocked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ1vqCy5jcs

and to show newer players that the starting kit really is powerful, and that the real essence of the game is managing the fight, here's one without unlocking any moves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ymXRxAe4k

No new move will be as useful to you as learning how to defend and attack at the same time

videos may be processing at the time of posting

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Would it be condescending to post what I think is the right way to approach the game from like, a conceptual standpoint to understand the way combat "works" and how the moveset is a complete and beautiful system that allows you to be a god if you do it perfectly, and what the functions of the moves actually are in the broader context of the game etc?

This combat system is like a beautiful work of art to me that is just complicated enough to have meat to a game but abstracted enough to allow for full intentionality from the player to pass into the game so you can play it calmly and leave a precious tapestry of bodies behind you

I've seen a lot of confusion or at least conflicting opinions about how it is or is not like a fighting game, or whatever. I'd say there are absolutely things I've taken from fighting games and applied here, but they're useful in other places too. The short version of course, for people having difficulty due to a lack of calm, is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BISrelOwLUI

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 11, 2022

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

No that kind of poo poo is what separates us from reddit post away

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

signalnoise posted:

Would you like me to record a video of what I'm talking about? Basically the best way I can tell you to do attack and defense at the same time is to treat them as occurring separately, but simultaneously. You can dodge or parry pretty much whenever you want, so the idea is to keep up the pressure being absolutely relentless, but at the same time, when an attack comes at you, you're ready and you dodge it the same way as you would if you were just waiting for it. Attacking is something you just happen to be doing at the same time as defending, but defense is prioritized over attack unless you're in the middle of something big that you just can't cancel.

Please do, I really want to see if I'm just doing something completely wrong, because the enemies just sometimes decide block and dodge so they to take no damage,( structure or HP) and it just kills all momentum for me because unless I have focus to spend all I can do is stand around like an idiot, waiting for an opening. And even when I get one, they just start dodging again 2 strikes into a combo. And because my attack won't hit, I can't do stuff like the push follow up or kicking them when they are down because there is nothing to trigger from.

I'll try the game more during the weekend, because when it works it's really neat.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

signalnoise posted:

That's exactly it, there are specific moves that cause a "pushed" state. There are other moves that rely on a specific state too, like being able to direction grab someone, which relies on them being in a brief stunned state. The other move I know of that can cause the push state is the front kick at the end of LLH (which I'm calling a teep), which can be reached in multiple ways. For instance, because of the way the combo system works, you can severely gently caress someone up if they're against a wall by doing running L into palm strike into H.

Yeah that's the weird thing, before trying it I figured the LLH push kick would be a great setup for it, but I just cannot get it to trigger off of it. Don't know if I'm trying it too early, too late, or what else, but so far the only move I managed to get it to work with was the back-forwards-light palm push.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hel posted:

Please do, I really want to see if I'm just doing something completely wrong, because the enemies just sometimes decide block and dodge so they to take no damage,( structure or HP) and it just kills all momentum for me because unless I have focus to spend all I can do is stand around like an idiot, waiting for an opening. And even when I get one, they just start dodging again 2 strikes into a combo. And because my attack won't hit, I can't do stuff like the push follow up or kicking them when they are down because there is nothing to trigger from.

I'll try the game more during the weekend, because when it works it's really neat.

Just look at either of the two videos I posted in the post above with 2 videos, not the 1 video of sf5. This is just how I normally play now

I am writing up a post that is a combination broad review to tell PEOPLE WHO LIKE BEATEMUPS what they can expect from this game, and why it is perfect, instead of listening to some bullshit pro reviewer, in addition to saying how to approach it conceptually. You shouldn't be mashing inputs, but you should be attacking all the loving time because it actually slows down the game and makes it easier to defend. I'll explain in the post

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

signalnoise posted:

You shouldn't be mashing inputs, but you should be attacking all the loving time because it actually slows down the game and makes it easier to defend. I'll explain in the post

Hesitation is defeat in this game, too! :eng101:

Seriously though, I really like the first boss because it shows you exactly that. You can either do dodges and occasional hits, or chase after and elbow him in the face and end the fight in about 2 minutes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Beat it! I entered the last level at 38 and won at 75, with my only deaths being to the boss. Dude is nasty.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Beat it! I entered the last level at 38 and won at 75, with my only deaths being to the boss. Dude is nasty.

I've gotten to him one time so far, and tried to do something, and upon see a gimmick he has I immediately discovered I needed to change my build. :)

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

signalnoise posted:

Here's a new progress vid

This is good stuff. I think the most important thing I learned is that the HUD is a distraction. I turned it off and I'm rockin so much more rear end.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

This is good stuff. I think the most important thing I learned is that the HUD is a distraction. I turned it off and I'm rockin so much more rear end.

Yep. Basically what I realized is that no matter what my situation is, my answer should be consistent. I shouldn't let fear of a low health bar impact my decisions anyway. My structure shouldn't be high. I haven't used my Focus recently, so it's full. I haven't been hit recently, so my multiplier is at max. The only thing I should be focusing on is the fight. You shall not fear death.

By the way, I have this as a bottom line, for everyone who has complaints about the unlocking system: In the big ol' post I'm writing up, I am going to give my reasons for this, but I believe that the game's intended difficulty is as you first played it. You'll want to have a save with all of the unlocks, and everything completed, but for simply playing the game, I believe the intended difficulty and balance of the game is to start at stage 1 with nothing unlocked. Once I came to this conclusion, I realized that I have zero concerns about permanently unlocking stuff

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 11, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
made it through a no-death run of stage 1

i didn't know that the shrine upgrades from your best run carry over between stages, that should come in handy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

signalnoise posted:

Just look at either of the two videos I posted in the post above with 2 videos, not the 1 video of sf5. This is just how I normally play now

I am writing up a post that is a combination broad review to tell PEOPLE WHO LIKE BEATEMUPS what they can expect from this game, and why it is perfect, instead of listening to some bullshit pro reviewer, in addition to saying how to approach it conceptually. You shouldn't be mashing inputs, but you should be attacking all the loving time because it actually slows down the game and makes it easier to defend. I'll explain in the post

Can you do the same for mission 2 or later? because that's where it starts happening for me, as if the enemy scaling is just off. I'll see if I can record a video to show off what I mean with my issues.