Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm getting the vibe from all the speculation here that Disney+ is basically like every other tech-economy entertainment company where the perceived need for constant new content overrides any concern about quality.

Move fast and break things and if people complain later, we'll just count our money and see if it's worth fixing then.

It's interesting after the disastrous Solo and Rise of the Skywalker receptions they put a stop to the whole 'yearly Star Wars films until the heat death of the universe' plans.

It got so bad I remember the phrase 'Star Wars Fatigue' being a pretty regular occurrence.

They seemed to have filled that hole with the
Mandalorian's success and the subsequent announcement of 20,000 spin-off series.

I enjoyed Bob, but it was unquestionably a drop in quality from previous efforts. I honestly think the same oversaturation will likely bite them again in the next few years if they can't keep an exceptional level of quality going. (Of course it will always be popular - but continuing Star Wars to be a part of the entire cultural zeitgeist is what they have to live up to.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Show me more Naboo if we have to stick to established planets. Swampy Forest Italy would be a welcome change from all this goddamn sand.

We should probably check in with the Gungans too while we're there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Isometric Bacon posted:

It got so bad I remember the phrase 'Star Wars Fatigue' being a pretty regular occurrence.

Given that the MCU managed to put out four films and five seasons of TV this year it must have really taken Disney aback when they couldn't get away with stepping up the Star Wars movie output. I think one live action show and one animated show per year, with movies every three or so years would probably strike a decent balance as long as they have a good re-think of the creative direction of the films.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If they change the stylistic output it helps. Marvel properties at least have their own themes, kind of, with some being time travel and some being spy thrillers and some being old television nostalgia sendups.

Mandalorian excused itself with being a Samurai story, and Boba Fett leans more western, so they kind of seem to be getting it.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
From a location and setting standpoint the best parts in this series was when they were showing us something new. I loved the brief visit to the ring world and the public transportation hub, and what not.

I don't want to see a Tusken camp ever again. I feel that story has been told a trillion times over, even in this very series as part of Mandolorian Season 1.

I would say the same for Tatooine in general, but I did enjoy the little bits they expanded on in this series by exploring the local politics, gangs and crime lords. I just think the series would have been better with those in more centre focus.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Brawnfire posted:

If they change the stylistic output it helps. Marvel properties at least have their own themes, kind of, with some being time travel and some being spy thrillers and some being old television nostalgia sendups.

Yes, exactly this. They need to cut off the nostalgia bait and memberberry reference trains and focus on making new things in this universe.

If it's one thing Lucas did really well it was that. Each movie, including the prequels brought in entirely new aesthetics and characters - even if they were just pastiches of other sci fi things he liked. The Ring World was one of the best breath of fresh air I've seen in Star Wars for decades, even if it was just taken from a famous novel.

I'm a weird inbetween where my childhood was all about the OT and the various videogames and paraphernalia around in the 90s before the prequels dropped, that did worldbuilding by exploring stories about pilots and smugglers and bounty hunters - so I'm generally pretty happy with how the tv series are wrapping back around to that.

It's just the seemingly unbroken idea that everything needs to be a direct callback to the Jedi story or the Clone Wars series or characters we've seen before that makes the universe feel smaller.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It also bears noting that the MCU is constantly moving the universe forward. It makes things feel new and exciting and leaves people itching to find out what happens next. Star Wars does not currently have this advantage. It's stuck in its own prequel past until... I don't know, I guess until the timeline of the shows catches up with the timeline of RoS and they can follow the new characters forward. Or maybe some characters from the sequel trilogy will have a backdoor glow-up from the shows like Anakin had with TCW.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol:

"He doesn't take no for answer - unless he's asked to, then he does."

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

star wars should not emulate the MCU jc

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmyleg posted:

It also bears noting that the MCU is constantly moving the universe forward. It makes things feel new and exciting and leaves people itching to find out what happens next. Star Wars does not currently have this advantage.

I really wish Star Wars would stop dwelling on the past and re-telling the same events from different perspectives and just move forward. It's doomed to have endless content churned out until the end of time, so that content may as well progress the overarching story.

The one exception I'll allow is Old Republic poo poo. Either bring the KO/TOR games into canon or adapt them Disney. :argh:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

:lol:

"He doesn't take no for answer - unless he's asked to, then he does."

"Because it's the right thing to do."

Also...

DEEP FAKE

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Isometric Bacon posted:

If it's one thing Lucas did really well it was that. Each movie, including the prequels brought in entirely new aesthetics and characters - even if they were just pastiches of other sci fi things he liked. The Ring World was one of the best breath of fresh air I've seen in Star Wars for decades, even if it was just taken from a famous novel.
As much as I genuinely enjoyed BOBF, there was more than one occasion where I found myself thinking, "Lucas would have done this better." Maybe not even a magnitude of order better, but even just a little "something" to world build, punch up a plot line, construct a scene/sequence, or frame a shot.

On the other hand, maybe Lucas couldn't do better given the constraints of writing/producing 7 hours a year vs 2 hours over three years? Others have brought up some very valid complaints about how the series unfolded, like not bringing in Bane earlier or not having him directly involved with the Tusken slaughter or even re-creating a Clone Wars live action flashback. And maybe we didn't need any of those Mando episode or Grogu showing up.

All but episode six have Favreau's name on them "alone". Do we know if he really only writes in a vacuum or is there a staff that "helps" like more traditional shows? My understanding from the making-of shows is that each director has a hand in how they evolve to the screen but BOBF overall seems to suffer from a "first draft" syndrome.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, he oversaw TCW while he was developing the Underworld TV show which apparently churned out 100 finished scripts in a couple years. So I don't think it's a quantity issue.

Wonder how much if anything from Underworld has been cannibalized for Mando/Boba.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

stev posted:

I really wish Star Wars would stop dwelling on the past and re-telling the same events from different perspectives and just move forward. It's doomed to have endless content churned out until the end of time, so that content may as well progress the overarching story.

The one exception I'll allow is Old Republic poo poo. Either bring the KO/TOR games into canon or adapt them Disney. :argh:

After Obi Wan I hope we can move on and rarely, if ever, touch OT stuff again. Let's see where Thrawn is. And hopefully Bad Batch ties up nice. But after that - let's explore more sequel/new stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are you not aware of all of the current projects in development that are set between the OT and ST...?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah it’s be interesting to see what Naboo is like in the late Empire period.

I’d also love for them to show Alderaan (pre-destruction obviously) more.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Really enjoyed that Boba season, finale was good times. Rodriguez and Favreau are playing it fast and loose, but I like their choices. I dig some of the atypical structure and vibe of the show, some of it reminded me of Tarantino (Rodriguez's bro). And lots of love for Leone and westerns of course.

So much of our take on a thing is expectations, and I like how this show deviates from the norm a lot there. I dig that Boba is a pretty chill dude who is doing his thing, in a fairly humble way for a TV protagonist. And I enjoy how it was also a Mando season, and the way this all gelled.

"Chapter 5: Return of the Mandalorian" by Howard and Favreau and co. is maybe my fav episode of Mandalorian. It rules so incredibly hard. I love so much that they covered this important period of transition and being lost in one episode. It felt very much like a film, so different from standard TV language. Ditto for the Grogu stuff, I love that they didn't spend a whole season of TV focusing on that stuff, even though most shows would. It leaves something to the imagination, and it thrills me to see such big time changes in an unexpected way.

And for Boba, I dig his unique understated charisma, ditto for Fennec, and the chill lower stakes vibe of their benevolent crime quest. That scene with Fennec in the last ep making the top villains pay in a humorously unceremonious way, that felt like a scene you'd see in a Tarantino film, so good.

I guess my point there, and for sure every reaction is valid, I just like how a show can kind of mess with the rulebook. So many TV shows have seasons or decade long character arcs, ongoing serialized soap stuff etc, it feels refreshing and surprising to see something so atypical. Genius or just sloppily unique, who's to say, but I sure dig it. I'm excited for more stuff from this crew.

Now, I'll tell you what does worry me! That preview video for Obi-Wan Kenobi. Cheekily saying he may have another fight with Hayden's Darth Vader etc. Now this is what scares me. Not messing with DV, having restraint, and for sure hopefully not seeing him helmetless with the ol' Hayden voice etc or anything, that would seem prudent. Doing an Obi-Wan story where he does just about anything, but under the radar, not involving DV. Anyways, that seems like something they could mess up. Plus the higher you aim, and I like how Boba had kind of low stakes etc, the loftier stuff they mess with, the more they could goof it up.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 11, 2022

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

The water barrel moment was great. It felt like I was watching a Wild West Stunt Spectacular.

We need railing kills in every episode.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Finally got around to watching the finale, and I don't know if it's just because I don't jibe with Robert Rodriguez's style, but I really did not like that finale. Tedious, drawn-out shootouts where everybody is standing out in the open yet can't seem to hit each other, extremely questionable special effects, and some weird character moments just really rubbed me the wrong way (the mod + Freetown girls thing felt like a very unearned "girl power" moment vis a vis storming Gideon's ship in Mandalorian). The kaiju/King Kong scene could've been a fun genre bend, but I was already too annoyed with the episode up until then to really enjoy it. I've heard people talk about certain episodes of shows feeling like they're from different shows entirely, and I never quite understood that sentiment before, but this one definitely felt to me like some low-budget, shot-in-Vancouver late 90s/early 2000s sci-fi.

The second episode going deep into Boba's time with the Tuskens was great, and BDH killed it with the Mando episode, but I feel like having Rodriguez do this as the season finale really hurt my impression of the season overall

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

catches up with the timeline of RoS and they can follow the new characters forward. Or maybe some characters from the sequel trilogy will have a backdoor glow-up

lol. nobody likes these characters.

oh man, cant wait to learn more about, uh, ??? ???

the black guy defector storm trooper was the only one of any interest and he got his storyline dropped in the dumpster

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rey would've been a loving great character if RoS didn't happen and her teaming up with Kylo wasn't a fakeout.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Smythe posted:

the black guy defector storm trooper was the only one of any interest and he got his storyline dropped in the dumpster

Lol wtf, I only watched the first sequel and Finn was my favorite

Guess I don't need to watch the other two

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Lol wtf, I only watched the first sequel and Finn was my favorite

Guess I don't need to watch the other two

no dude a big part of being a star wars psycho is to watch them and get really pissed off and argue about it online. you also need to buy the source books and such and become an expert to be even more pissed off online & own you opponents more. the flamewar component is key to being a star wars freak or "trekkie" ... IMO

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm immune to such things! Why, I've skipped over a whole half season of Discovery, until I get bored enough

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

stev posted:

Rey would've been a loving great character if RoS didn't happen and her teaming up with Kylo wasn't a fakeout.

hi my name is rey. im the most powerful jedi in the universe, because, well... just kuz. heres a nonsensical story involving nobody worth mentioning & also my weird boyfriend who has teenager style tantrums lol. btw im goku. my heroes quest is, uh, not sure really. you love it. you love my story you little freaks. im cool, lovable, relatable, and insane badass because the script says so in the character description but nowhere else basically. CHEERS

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think a ten year time skip Rey with a cyber eye or something who throws Jedi ninja stars could be cool. Give her the Raiden MGS treatment, writes itself.

Finn gets an eye-patch, Poe grows a mustache. There's potential.

Overall, a new trilogy might as well have new protagonists, but I could see fun places to go with them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Thundercat is putting Cobb under the laser knife does that mean Timothy Olyphant might actually become Raygun Givens?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Smythe posted:

Exactly. Nobody liked Anakin til Clone Wars. His new, better, fuller characterization meant that people wanted to see more of him after that.

Mando is likely setting up a force-sensitive cloning story which will tie into the RoS Palpatine nonsense, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. It seems like they're thinking through how to fill the gaps between A and B long-term. I could imagine some of that stuff eventually putting sequel characters, planets, or organizations in a better light. Whether franchise fatigue will set in before they manage it is to be seen.

At some point, though, someone is definitely going to try and make Hosnian Prime happen.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Exactly. Nobody liked Anakin til Clone Wars. His new, better, fuller characterization meant that people wanted to see more of him after that.

Mando is likely setting up a force-sensitive cloning story which will tie into the RoS Palpatine nonsense, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. It seems like they're thinking through how to fill the gaps between A and B long-term. I could imagine some of that stuff eventually putting sequel characters, planets, or organizations in a better light. Whether franchise fatigue will set in before they manage it is to be seen.

At some point, though, someone is definitely going to try and make Hosnian Prime happen.

hmm... you're an optimist indeed. lets see how this plays out

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Mandrel posted:

I liked when the guy fell and got lit the gently caress up by both Mando and boba on his way down. just gently caress that guy in particular

I was thinking, drat, stop shooting him, he's dead already, he hadn't even finished falling yet.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

FogHelmut posted:

I just want a Cobb Vanth spinoff that's literally a shot for shot remake of Justified but set on Tatooine.

How about a Deadwood style Tattooine show? It actually fits really well. I mean Freetown has a saloon already.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

He shoulda leapt back up when he hit the ground and pulled out a repeater pistol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

If Thundercat is putting Cobb under the laser knife does that mean Timothy Olyphant might actually become Raygun Givens?

Robocopsheriff

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Smythe posted:

hi my name is rey. im the most powerful jedi in the universe, because, well... just kuz. heres a nonsensical story involving nobody worth mentioning & also my weird boyfriend who has teenager style tantrums lol. btw im goku. my heroes quest is, uh, not sure really. you love it. you love my story you little freaks. im cool, lovable, relatable, and insane badass because the script says so in the character description but nowhere else basically. CHEERS

Well done on getting through that without saying Mary Sue. We've really progressed as a society.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Boba blew his rocket on those big turret droids, but he somehow got it back while fighting Cad Bane

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

grittyreboot posted:

Boba blew his rocket on those big turret droids, but he somehow got it back while fighting Cad Bane

Didn't he go to grab the Rancor after his shot his rocket? He could have rearmed back at the palace.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mandrel posted:

star wars should not emulate the MCU jc

Maybe not completely, but one question I have when I'm really interested in something is "What happens next?" Since loving 1983 my big question for Star Wars was "What happens next?" It's one reason I wasn't all that excited about the prequels and Clone Wars. "Okay, you're giving me extra history and detail on what previously happen, but what happens next?"

When The Force Awakens was announced, I was hugely excited because finally, 32 loving years (and the old Expanded Universe aside) I was finally going to find out what the gently caress happened next. I mostly forgave it for being basically a rerun of Star Wars: A New Hope. Flaws and all I was really happy with The Last Jedi for taking things in a completely different direction. And then the The Priapism of Skywalker came out and I realized that the answer to "What happens next?" is "Nothing. Nothing happens next. There will be no more forward progress. The next iteration of movies will be a somehow even dumber remake of the Second Trilogy where it'll turn out that when Palpatine died, he shat himself. And then put his spirit into that pile of poo poo. And will then grow a clone from that which will destroy Rey's new Jedi school and we start the whole stupid mess all over again.

At this point I just want Din, Grogu, Fennec, Cobb Vanth and others to somehow get transported to the MCU Earth which is way in the future in a galaxy far, far away from the time-loop BS that is Star Wars.

Complain about the MCU all you want, but that's a series and universe which is very much about answering "What happens next?"

Everyone fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 12, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Everyone posted:

Maybe not completely, but one question I have when I'm really interested in something is "What happens next?" Since loving 1983 my big question for Star Wars was "What happens next?" It's one reason I wasn't all that excited about the prequels and Clone Wars. "Okay, you're giving me extra history and detail on what previously happen, but what happens next?"
This is what Lucas said happens next

stev posted:

No, there is another

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 12, 2022

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Did I miss it or have we already talked about Ray Stevenson joining the cast of Ahsoka to play Admiral Definitely Not Thrawn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

That's... kind of hosed up. I admit that my response to Lucas's answer would probably have been something like "I'm sure they did, eventually. Any thoughts on stuff that might have happened between the end of Return of the Jedi and them becoming corpses?" Likely answer from him: "No."