Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

They're hosed.

And personally, I don't think there's going to be a long lasting insurgency either. If you think the Western Nations doesn't abide by rules or war, fight fair, etc. wait until you see what Putin will to Kiev.

Also Putin has experience with putting down a popular insurgency with a minoritarian genocidal government in Syria the Ukranians arent gonna manage much sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

They're not gonna invade, trust me

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

lol that's the date ppl think is most likely since its peak freeze and after Xi's Olympics.

Cool, cool!

Minenfeld! posted:

Wait so you're invading?

Just visiting to see some cathedrals

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Cool, cool!

Just visiting to see some cathedrals

I'd cancel those tickets now while you can get the refunds.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Al-Saqr posted:

Also Putin has experience with putting down a popular insurgency with a minoritarian genocidal government in Syria the Ukranians arent gonna manage much sadly.

Exactly, the world doesn't need another Syrian refugee crisis.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

They're hosed.

And personally, I don't think there's going to be a long lasting insurgency either. If you think the Western Nations doesn't abide by rules or war, fight fair, etc. wait until you see what Putin will to Kiev.

Let's not doompost yet. I am guessing there will be little fighting in cities. Russia's goal will be decisively defeating the Ukrainian army in the field, something which it should be able to do easily, and then just getting a signature on the "ukraine forever bufferstate" bill

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1492215908110065667?s=20&t=kfXjkQT-HAVTpcDxuBG73g

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Negostrike posted:

They're not gonna invade, trust me

It's this. Two weeks ago Pentagon promised that Russia would attack as soon as the ground freezes over, it froze over, Russia didn't attack, and now it's not going to be cold enough again this year. Literally nothing is happening.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Paladinus posted:

It's this. Two weeks ago Pentagon promised that Russia would attack as soon as the ground freezes over, it froze over, Russia didn't attack, and now it's not going to be cold enough again this year. Literally nothing is happening.

Just two more weeks to stop the spread reach peak freeze!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Here's hoping. But we also don't have all the intel that is motivating these countries to say GTFO out, maybe its just so they don't have to deal with it if the invasion does happen, but who knows.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I've always thought that was weird. The movements of hundreds of thousands of troops are not going to hinge on if there is sports on the TV and never was, it was such a weird grasp by the political commentators.

It also extra made no sense cause Russia isn't even allowed to compete as a nation in the Olympics, literally "what are you gonna do, ban me?". And China basically has nothing to do with Ukraine. As much as China and Russia are being buddy-buddy because no one else loves them (nor should), they're not that close. They have a few strategic shared goals, but a lot more independent goals. If it benefits one to throw the other under a bus I'm sure they would not bat an eye to do so.

And I don't even think it will make that much of an impact, the Olympics are already halfway done and it's not like people can't watch war coverage and sports coverage at the same time.

So yeah, it was a weird stretch. If I've learned anything over the last 2 decades it's that no one is good at reading any tea leaves in pretty much any field.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nothing has changed, there's no point in getting into panic over a couple of muddled he said she said tweets.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Nothing has changed, there's no point in getting into panic over a couple of muddled he said she said tweets.

I mean we've clearly passed some kind of 'for reals evacuate embassies and if you are a citizen gtfo' threshold for a lot of countries.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

yeah I think all the embassies telling their citizens to leave the country IMMEDIATELY and them withdrawing is a pretty worrying development that's new.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

I mean we've clearly passed some kind of 'for reals evacuate embassies and if you are a citizen gtfo' threshold for a lot of countries.

I think some of it may be signals intel, some of it may be the Amphibious fleet that just arrived in the bay today.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I still think it's very unlikely they'll do anything major, even in Mariupol/DNR. But recent negotiations haven't been particularly encouraging but if something does happen, it could be very, very bad.

Al-Saqr posted:

I'd cancel those tickets now while you can get the refunds.

What are the EU regulations on compensation if the destination airport's runway is destroyed?

Alchenar posted:

I've always thought that was weird. The movements of hundreds of thousands of troops are not going to hinge on if there is sports on the TV and never was, it was such a weird grasp by the political commentators.
Heads of states often attend the olympics in person, so there could be a small reduction in their ability to quickly and effectively manage a crisis. Not that it would apply this year.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah I think all the embassies telling their citizens to leave the country IMMEDIATELY and them withdrawing is a pretty worrying development that's new.

That just means the bluff is working.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Orthanc6 posted:

It also extra made no sense cause Russia isn't even allowed to compete as a nation in the Olympics, literally "what are you gonna do, ban me?". And China basically has nothing to do with Ukraine. As much as China and Russia are being buddy-buddy because no one else loves them (nor should), they're not that close. They have a few strategic shared goals, but a lot more independent goals. If it benefits one to throw the other under a bus I'm sure they would not bat an eye to do so.

And I don't even think it will make that much of an impact, the Olympics are already halfway done and it's not like people can't watch war coverage and sports coverage at the same time.

So yeah, it was a weird stretch. If I've learned anything over the last 2 decades it's that no one is good at reading any tea leaves in pretty much any field.

Russia needs an economic relationship with China since the West isn't a viable option anymore, so bending to Chinese wishes to some extent makes sense. It just depends on how serious this is to China, and how clear they've made that to Russia. You know, if Russia wants to invade in the first place.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

That just means the bluff is working.

Eh, not really. The bluff is to get Ukraine to stay out of the EU. I doubt this will have little bearing unless Putin manages a regime change in Ukraine and that's unlikely to happen without an invasion.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

See it's actually a double bluff to get the West to panic.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

the russian flag is raised over Kyiv-

"Wow the rare triple bluff, more putin mind games i see"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

See it's actually a double bluff to get the West to panic.

With the goal of...?

I mean how many millions and elaborate troop and naval repositioning is worth a 'psyche! Made ya look!' to Putin?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Don’t forget the Chechnya experience.

:(

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Oracle posted:

With the goal of...?

I mean how many millions and elaborate troop and naval repositioning is worth a 'psyche! Made ya look!' to Putin?

To earn respect, obviously. An actual war would be too costly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/terischultz/status/1492205302376247301?t=PWPq0C3rfFhugj740VwPkQ&s=19

A bit more of a sign that some kind of threshold got passed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
As a note in passing, one of the Russian athletes at the Olympics failed a PED test.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Oracle posted:

With the goal of...?

Destroying the Ukrainian economy and pressuring them to accept Minsk, which would plunge the country into civil unrest.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Eastern Europe: Olivier's Army Are On Their Way

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

"....is that hard bass I heard in the distance?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIqr94NDeTE

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

FishBulbia posted:

Destroying the Ukrainian economy and pressuring them to accept Minsk, which would plunge the country into civil unrest.

But that'd be so costly in terms of sanctions; no way Vladimir Putin would dare attack another country if it'd jeopardize NS2.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/amanpour/status/1492218267099975684?s=21

Christiane Amanpour is doubling down on the ‘putin came to the decision’ angle, this time the source is from a NATO member

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Discendo Vox posted:

As a note in passing, one of the Russian athletes at the Olympics failed a PED test.

That's lovely. As she's just 15 it's quite possible that her coach gave her the substance to get more progress during the training and not disclosing to her what it was. And it's not something that helps a figure skater perform better in a contest, either, just in training according to the article. If that's the case then her career will be done for and the coach will probably not suffer anything.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe that's why Putin's moved up the invasion. You won't waive the testing failure for our athlete fine, we're not going to make sure your games aren't one-upped in the news by our invasion, screw you Xi! WE HAD A DEAL!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The pathetic charade with Russians being / not being allowed to participate on a glorified honour system was the final nail in the coffin of whatever little dignity the Olympics might have had left before that

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Oracle posted:

Maybe that's why Putin's moved up the invasion. You won't waive the testing failure for our athlete fine, we're not going to make sure your games aren't one-upped in the news by our invasion, screw you Xi! WE HAD A DEAL!

Oh, has Vova moved on from rhytmic gymnasts now? Granted Alina Kabaeva is getting a bit old for him.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

But that'd be so costly in terms of sanctions; no way Vladimir Putin would dare attack another country if it'd jeopardize NS2.

The problem here is both realties are stupid. It's stupid to invade Ukraine, lose NS2 and billions of dollars funding a war and getting slapped with even more sanctions. But it's also stupid to spend a few less billion moving and supplying 130,000 troops on the knife edge of Ukraine and keep them there for months trying to get concessions from Ukraine or NATO that I could have told Putin 8 years ago would never happen.

War has always been an extremely economically and politically dangerous affair and lots of seemingly rational leaders have blundered into it an lost hard anyways.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Let the pan gopnik union reign supreme. Send in the heavy basstillery and get your knees ready for heavy squatting.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Nenonen posted:

That's lovely. As she's just 15 it's quite possible that her coach gave her the substance to get more progress during the training and not disclosing to her what it was. And it's not something that helps a figure skater perform better in a contest, either, just in training according to the article. If that's the case then her career will be done for and the coach will probably not suffer anything.

Yeah, my take here is that this skater is underage and has been failed by all the adults around her. I'm unclear as to why her sample, which was submitted in December, was only tested yesterday, one day after her event.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Orthanc6 posted:

The problem here is both realties are stupid. It's stupid to invade Ukraine, lose NS2 and billions of dollars funding a war and getting slapped with even more sanctions. But it's also stupid to spend a few less billion moving and supplying 130,000 troops on the knife edge of Ukraine and keep them there for months trying to get concessions from Ukraine or NATO that I could have told Putin 8 years ago would never happen.

War has always ben an extremely economically and politically dangerous affair and lots of seemingly rational leaders have blundered into it an lost hard anyways.

I blame toxic masculinity. Always gotta prove they tough.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

If you know Oliver's Army but not So Like Candy than you don't get to quote Costello songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Conspiratiorist posted:

The idea is with the hybrid war approach, Russia can avoid the costs of open conflict while still wrecking Ukraine economically and politically.