Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dr Christmas posted:

I heard they also smirked at old-fashioned Captain America being shocked by this, what with only old fuddy-duddies being shocked by incest back in the Aughts.

I think it's Wasp that thinks he's old fashioned, yeah
E:Horribly beaten, lol

Worse than I remembered TBH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I liked the magi-tech angle they went with Thor at first, then they ditched it too.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think Ultimate Spidey actually predated the Raimi movie. The later even borrowed dialogue from it. It may have been Blade or X-Men that spurred it on, after years of even the idea of a "good" Marvel movie being a joke.

I always saw the Ultimate Universe as mostly a way to provide source material for movie adaptations or even a kind of printed sizzle reel for Hollywood. With the way they're drawn and paced there's a pervasive feeling of "This is what an Avengers movie will be like!" That was also when "writing for the trade" became commonplace and when Marvel was promoting some comics as "widescreen."

It can't be a coincidence that so much of the Quesada era is represented in the MCU.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The lowest point of the Ultimates, at least the lowest that I saw before I gave up even browsing the trades at the bookstore, was later, when the Blob was shown visibly cannibalistically eating from Wasp's torso and saying, "tastes like chicken."

Blob may be a slob but he certainly doesn't talk with his mouth full!

(Also, another data point in the Ultimates going further downhill after Loeb took over, though this probably wasn't his fault directly -- IIRC, Wasp was Asian-American at the beginning of the Ultimates, and then at the start of Ultimates Vol. 3 or whenever it was she magically becomes Caucasian without of course any reason or mention given.)

I did like a couple of the ideas in Ultimates, like Iron Man needing a support team on the ground to help run the armor and requiring help to get suited up in it, which explains why you need a guy like Falcon sometimes -- he's not so high-maintenance. But it was a sprinkling of good ideas into a sea of bad execution. (And gave us that gag in Nextwave with Elsa Bloodstone: Do you think this [EU symbol on my chest] stands for America?)

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Byzantine posted:

I liked the magi-tech angle they went with Thor at first, then they ditched it too.

I really liked the bit at the end of the first Skrull arc where he teleports a reality nuke to "the Wastes of Nástrond" and Stark is screaming "He's just a mental patient with access to a teleporter! He's dropped it in Ohio or somewhere and we're all still going to die."

Then the bomb goes off, reality doesn't explode, and Thor stands there looking smug.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Ultimates was real bad.

I binged through Ultimate Spiderman and was all "wow this is cool. I wonder what the rest of the lines are like?" and they were...

Bad.

I think the concept was less about selling movies and more retelling 40 year old stories in a modern context without having to reboot the whole universe. Which was a great idea in theory for old characters who were weighed down and boxed in by years of continuity or who had their origins set in Vietnam or some poo poo but Jesus Christ the execution.

USM worked because it basically told the same basic Peter Parker story and updated it, at least for me, but what little I read of the other titles was just an excuse to go off the rails where "modernizing" them meant upping the crazy, adding a lot of edginess and made the mistake of giving writers a blank slate to act weird, overly violent and totally stupid.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think Ultimate Spider-Man also started the thing in Spider-Man adaptations where he's known MJ since they were in high school, whereas in the main comics she was a mystery niece of his aunt's friend that he kept avoiding getting introduced to for like three years.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wasn't Ultimates the one that had the extra-fashy Captain America?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

darkwasthenight posted:

I really liked the bit at the end of the first Skrull arc where he teleports a reality nuke to "the Wastes of Nástrond" and Stark is screaming "He's just a mental patient with access to a teleporter! He's dropped it in Ohio or somewhere and we're all still going to die."

Then the bomb goes off, reality doesn't explode, and Thor stands there looking smug.

then again Ohio still exists, did they really win?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I'll admit I did actually like Ultimate Galactus, in which the 616 version finds himself in the Ultimate Universe, decides his oath to never again try to eat Earth doesn't apply to this Earth, and immediately destroys New Jersey so he can set up his equipment.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Aside from less traffic into NYC, did anyone notice?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Push El Burrito posted:

There were some good things in the Ultimate universe, 99% of them being Spider-Man related, but holy poo poo was it outweighed by the awful rest of it. There's a reason the only things that really survived from it are Miles Morales and a villainous Reed Richards.

Sam Jackson as Nick Fury is the other super big one.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Push El Burrito posted:

It's kind of referenced in the Avengers movies when he says he "broke Harlem". Then they decided to make Hulk into that.

The climax of the Ed Norton movie takes place in Harlem.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Keromaru5 posted:

I'll admit I did actually like Ultimate Galactus, in which the 616 version finds himself in the Ultimate Universe, decides his oath to never again try to eat Earth doesn't apply to this Earth, and immediately destroys New Jersey so he can set up his equipment.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I liked Ultimate X-Men, because it was free from decades of continuity and lore. I just wanted to read about the mutant resistance that is also a cool high school, and it did that just fine.

Just make sure you stop reading after they finish up the Apocalypse-arc, and you have a neat self-contained story that ends with Jean Gray becoming the Phoenix so that she can defeat a literal god before sacrificing herself to reset the rest of the universe to the beginning of the story. The implication being that, while Xavier's group was trying to do good, they were less than perfect in making their actions match their ideals. They deserve a second chance, because they know they can do better. I thought it was a neat variation on some old tropes of the series, and a solid ending.

But then you keep reading and it is horrible, contrived filler by a different writer every week, trying to kill time until the big crossover Ultimatum can occur and the entire cast dies, either literally or through character assassination.

You know you hosed up the ending when it makes you wish for the more calm and humane writings of loving Mark Millar.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

One of these days I want to read Millar's run on Superman Adventures. I've always heard it was one of the best Superman runs of all time.

Of course, I've also heard that it was secretly ghost-written by Grant Morrison, who gets Superman better than just about anybody. Just a rumor, though

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In Crazy Rich Asians the main character acts like a teen girl when she's supposed to be a tenured professor at NYU.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

more of a tv thing i guess but this poo poo is so lazy:

- hero: i will tell you everything *dunDunDUN*
- credits
——
- intro
- heroine: thank you for telling me everything

vice versa too

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Feb 12, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

theres a bit good stuff in the first season of cyber dark altered cabron except people constantly recognize each other because the other party has the face that a friend had although you are wearing a face that they never saw

it is for me made worse by purefoy looking like a younger christopher lambert

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also its gross as hell for a parent to watch their child's therapy like its a right they have

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Push El Burrito posted:

The first appearance of Ultimate Hulk was your bog standard "Hulk shows up and destroys stuff". It's kind of referenced in the Avengers movies when he says he "broke Harlem". Then they decided to make Hulk into that.

It's kind of like how Tony Stark's backstory became "born with a weird genetic disease that made it so his whole body is brain tissue, that's why he's so smart!" but they, like, immediately changed that after the book was done so that no, that whole miniseries was just a tv show.

There were some good things in the Ultimate universe, 99% of them being Spider-Man related, but holy poo poo was it outweighed by the awful rest of it. There's a reason the only things that really survived from it are Miles Morales and a villainous Reed Richards.

It's still pretty lol that literally every Reed Richards aside from the mainline one ends up becoming a villain.

Keromaru5 posted:

One of these days I want to read Millar's run on Superman Adventures. I've always heard it was one of the best Superman runs of all time.

Of course, I've also heard that it was secretly ghost-written by Grant Morrison, who gets Superman better than just about anybody. Just a rumor, though

You might have been thinking of Red Son, there? Much like Ennis, Millar actually seems to be pretty good when he's not allowed to wallow in liquified edge, he likes exploring ideas and seems to have a decent sense of humour.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Carthag Tuek posted:

altered cabron
... hold that thought

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I liked Ultimate X-Men, because it was free from decades of continuity and lore. I just wanted to read about the mutant resistance that is also a cool high school, and it did that just fine.

Just make sure you stop reading after they finish up the Apocalypse-arc, and you have a neat self-contained story that ends with Jean Gray becoming the Phoenix so that she can defeat a literal god before sacrificing herself to reset the rest of the universe to the beginning of the story. The implication being that, while Xavier's group was trying to do good, they were less than perfect in making their actions match their ideals. They deserve a second chance, because they know they can do better. I thought it was a neat variation on some old tropes of the series, and a solid ending.

But then you keep reading and it is horrible, contrived filler by a different writer every week, trying to kill time until the big crossover Ultimatum can occur and the entire cast dies, either literally or through character assassination.

You know you hosed up the ending when it makes you wish for the more calm and humane writings of loving Mark Millar.

THat's also the same continuity where Nightcrawler and Colossus have a rift because Colossus is Gay and Nightcrawler is a twat about it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Carthag Tuek posted:

altered cabron

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

THat's also the same continuity where Nightcrawler and Colossus have a rift because Colossus is Gay and Nightcrawler is a twat about it.

Yeah, which is an annoying take on Nightcrawler, bit I have to admit...

...I did like gay Colossus, especially because early-2000's still didn't have a lot of non-straight superheroes.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's still pretty lol that literally every Reed Richards aside from the mainline one ends up becoming a villain.

Every. Single. One.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think it's Wasp that thinks he's old fashioned, yeah
E:Horribly beaten, lol

Worse than I remembered TBH

The artist on that run also forgot that Ultimate Wasp wasn't Caucasian, and editorial didn't care enough to point that out.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Yeah, which is an annoying take on Nightcrawler, bit I have to admit...

...I did like gay Colossus, especially because early-2000's still didn't have a lot of non-straight superheroes.

Tangentially related, it kind of annoyed me that in (the much more recent) Way of X Nightcrawler sets out to start a mutant religion or guiding philosophy and ends up forming a militia instead??? I guess? Also shooting some guys dead??? I dunno, I was really interested in the former concept and was left pretty cold when it ended up the latter. I haven't kept up with the comics for many many years so maybe that's just how he rolls now but I did not like it. rip.

Irrationally (?) Irritating Comic Book Moments

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Feb 12, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't remember if the nightcrawler now is the same from the 70s but reborn, or if he's the one from the age of apocalypse that somehow popped into nowadays from that timeline.

Great character but holy gently caress it seems like he's cursed to be shittily written for eternity.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I honestly don't remember if the nightcrawler now is the same from the 70s but reborn, or if he's the one from the age of apocalypse that somehow popped into nowadays from that timeline.

Great character but holy gently caress it seems like he's cursed to be shittily written for eternity.

He was fine from what I remember in X Men Evolution. I liked the relationship with his half-sister Rogue and their mother Mystique, that was interesting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BioEnchanted posted:

He was fine from what I remember in X Men Evolution. I liked the relationship with his half-sister Rogue and their mother Mystique, that was interesting.

Yeah he was adorable in that. Also a really good version of Cyclops.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
X-Men Evolution was a lot better than it's premise (X-Men but in High School) looked.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BooDooBoo posted:

The artist on that run also forgot that Ultimate Wasp wasn't Caucasian, and editorial didn't care enough to point that out.

Oh my god

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Schubalts posted:

X-Men Evolution was a lot better than it's premise (X-Men but in High School) looked.

Batman Beyond did it better, but comparing DCAU stuff is kinda unfair.

Also Evo had uncle Wolverine.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

To be fair they were both doing different things - Batman Beyond was a story of the original cast being too old to keep up with modern criminals and having to pass on the torch, while X-Men Evolution was more retelling classic stories or situations with younger characters who were expected to be more relatable.

Evolution ended with yet ANOTHER take on Apocalypse and his four horsemen, Batman Beyond had a woman made of living ink and a villain who was just making furries about a decade before they were a popularised thing online. Beyond was actually surprisingly predictive in that sort of thing, the Jokerz are a bunch of edgy teens aping a well-known supervillain's style because he looks cool without understanding what he was actually like.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not entirely the right thread, but holy moly they are making another Batman? Already? Feels like Ben Affleck's run that I also didn't see just happened.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ravenfood posted:

Not entirely the right thread, but holy moly they are making another Batman? Already? Feels like Ben Affleck's run that I also didn't see just happened.

Ben Affleck was going to be in and direct a solo Batman movie, but he didn't want to do both of those anymore.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2022-01-07/ben-affleck-tender-bar-amazon

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah but this one is from the Planet of the Apes guy and the Riddler is Zodiac now.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Inque from Batman Beyond was amazing in every way. her only flaw was not being used more.

XMen Evolution was loving awesome too. I only remember disliking the Spike kid because he really didn't need to be there. But otherwise it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Ben Affleck was going to be in and direct a solo Batman movie, but he didn't want to do both of those anymore.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2022-01-07/ben-affleck-tender-bar-amazon

His life was kind of falling apart after the Justice League movie came out.