Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Haha wow they already got rid of the weird pillow steering wheel, that was quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The person taking that photo couldn't even bother to clean the tiny magnifying glass off the driver's seat.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

carry on then posted:

Haha wow they already got rid of the weird pillow steering wheel, that was quick.

If it follows the GV70's logic, if you get the 'sport' you get that steering wheel. If you dont get the sport, you get the weird puffy pillow one.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

bull3964 posted:

Say what you will about the interior of the new Golf R, but there's no denying it's a much better driver.

Bested the old one by 8 seconds in C&D's lightning lap.
The bit about needing to re-learn to drive at 10 and 2 to set a fast lap was pure :stonk:

e:

quote:

Recording a clean lap was a struggle, though. Your hands need to be at nine and three to reach the dual-clutch automatic's shift paddles, but that causes your palms to contact various spoke-mounted buttons, creating all manner of havoc. We'd leave the pits in the most aggressive chassis setting with the car in manual-shift mode and, halfway through a lap, find ourselves in a different mode with the steering-wheel heat on and the car shifting itself. In desperation, we shut off stability control, tapped the drive-mode selector into sport, and somehow put together a cohesive lap. If you're serious about tracking an R, get the six-speed manual or learn to drive with your hands at ten and two. Do that and the Golf R's sports-car soul will quickly overshadow any thoughts about its exterior design.

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 11, 2022

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Hydraulic steering/manual transmission discussion has given way to buttons vs touchscreen.

We are frogs in slowly boiling water.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's not like anything in this world gets better as time passes.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Midjack posted:

Bleak. BRZ/86, ND2 Miata, you can still get a manual 9k rpm GT3, Boxster Spyder 4.0…

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Literally the exceptions that prove the rule.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have entirely lost interest in new cars after 2010 and am actively seeking out older cars with less lovely tech in them.\

Wireless Apple Carplay head unit retrofitted to something with proper switches and knobs for climate control is the most tech I will accept.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Small annoyances are that you have to turn the car off before you can open the trunk, which makes dropping people off a bit clunky.

Not sure if yours is the same as my slightly older CX5, but I initially thought this, but it turns out the doors just need to be unlocked.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Midjack posted:

yeah gently caress cars getting safer more reliable and more fuel efficient!!!!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah gently caress cars getting safer more reliable and more fuel efficient!!!!

I would argue making everything in a nested touchscreen menu is not safer

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Koirhor posted:

Your odds of dying in a car crash are about half what they were 40 years ago.

Nested touchscreen menus suck from a ux perspective but they probably aren’t any more likely to cause accidents than people loving with their radio tuner or CD player did in the past. And they’re far less of a problem than phones, which everyone has on them at all times and are a constant source of distraction.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Laserface posted:

I have entirely lost interest in new cars after 2010 and am actively seeking out older cars with less lovely tech in them.\

Wireless Apple Carplay head unit retrofitted to something with proper switches and knobs for climate control is the most tech I will accept.

The fact that Porsche makes replacement head units for its older cars is so tempting, it's just a shame I've never liked the fried egg headlights.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Koirhor posted:

you could argue that, but you would probably be wrong. All of the data basically points to hand held cell phone use being the cause of increases in distracted driving. Over the last decade or so there have been slight increases in accident rates and injury rates per million VMT.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you could argue that, but you would probably be wrong. All of the data basically points to hand held cell phone use being the cause of increases in distracted driving. Over the last decade or so there have been slight increases in accident rates and injury rates per million VMT.

How many drivers have hand help phones? All of them.
How many drivers operate new cars with vehicle functions buried in a nested touchscreen interface? Hardly any compared to the number of cars on the road.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Laserface posted:

I have good news about new Hondas

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Godzilla07 posted:

I have good news about new Hondas

the se corolla has a pretty sweet interior for luddites

The electric ebrake is dumb.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

PBCrunch posted:

How many drivers have hand help phones? All of them.
How many drivers operate new cars with vehicle functions buried in a nested touchscreen interface? Hardly any compared to the number of cars on the road.

There’s never been anything on the center console before this moment in history that could possibly distract a driver. Never.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I just want a dial/stick control like Mazda, BMW, and I think Mercedes have.

Trying to stabilize your finger while reading and interfacing with a touchscreen in a car with "sporty" suspension is super annoying.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Gangringo posted:

I just want a dial/stick control like Mazda, BMW, and I think Mercedes have.

Trying to stabilize your finger while reading and interfacing with a touchscreen in a car with "sporty" suspension is super annoying.

The Mazda knob is very good. I realize how much I like it when I switch between my car ('15 Mazda6 w/ knob) and my wife's ('14 CX-5 w/o knob). I'm always sticking my hand in the cupholder going for the knob and buttons that don't exist. This happens about as often as me going for the clutch and stomping the foot rest instead.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
My wife and I both have Mazdas with the knob, and I’m not sure I could deal with having a touchscreen in a car again. I’m sure it’ll be hard to avoid forever, but god the knob just feels so much easier, safer and more comfortable for my liking.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I want Grayhill's CANbus touch encoder to be used more. I'm already looking for way to retrofit it into my 2006 Mazda.

https://www.touchencoder.com/

Edit: Not the new flush mount one obviously. The original rotary version.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 11, 2022

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There’s never been anything on the center console before this moment in history that could possibly distract a driver. Never.

I've got a newish Audi with the knob controller and an old Miata with an aftermarket touchscreen receiver. The touchscreen isn't intrinsically more distracting, but looking where I'm touching and being careful not to touch something else requires much more concentration than just giving the right number of knob clicks before I press down. It is not a subtle difference.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I like manual cars as much as anybody, but is anybody really asking for a "pseudo manual" transmission in an EV?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/44261/toyota-has-a-patent-to-recreate-manual-transmissions-for-evs

quote:

Among the many things people fear the downturn of internal combustion will render a thing of the past is the manual transmission, and the engaging experience of shifting one's own gears. Toyota doesn't seem to believe that has to be the case, though, as it has patented mechanisms that'd let an electric vehicle simulate the operation of a manual down to the last gritty, gear-grinding detail.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

davecrazy posted:

I like manual cars as much as anybody, but is anybody really asking for a "pseudo manual" transmission in an EV?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/44261/toyota-has-a-patent-to-recreate-manual-transmissions-for-evs

Yes, me. Especially since EV conversions of manual cars will probably stay extremely niche and hard to do.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

davecrazy posted:

Absolutely, yea.

No noise and no shifting sounds like a boring experience even if it's otherwise designed to be fun to drive.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I've got a newish Audi with the knob controller and an old Miata with an aftermarket touchscreen receiver. The touchscreen isn't intrinsically more distracting, but looking where I'm touching and being careful not to touch something else requires much more concentration than just giving the right number of knob clicks before I press down. It is not a subtle difference.

I had an Audi with MMI and now have a Mach-E and don’t really find either of them more distracting. Using a knob to navigate into submenus is more pleasant from a user interface perspective but it’s not any less distracting. Stuff like entering a navigation destination was terrible on MMI. Even things like changing the input for entertainment wasn’t as straightforward as it should be.

And, of course, I’m old enough to remember the days where you had to manually search for radio stations and carried around a binder of CDs to swap out which definitely weren’t things you could do while keeping your full attention on the road.

An ex of mine totaled her car because she looked down to find a piece of gum that she’d dropped. There’s plenty of ways that drivers can distract themselves and always have been. Commonly used functions while driving should be easily accessible without needing to manipulate a menu system but whether it’s a knob or wheel or touchscreen or whatever probably doesn’t make any real difference to accident rates.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hell fuckin fastforwarding a tape to get to the sikkest track

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

no lube so what posted:

The electric ebrake is dumb.

Electric parking brakes are significantly cheaper for the manufacturer than hand brakes. Get used to them.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

davecrazy posted:

Yes please! Sign me the gently caress up!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Asked the wrong thread that question hahaha. There was a Jeep concept conversion that had a 6 speed too, I think. It was pretty much pointless but I want to drive it regardless.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The fake shifter better have bushings that go to poo poo and a tiny motor with an off axis weight to shake the knob

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I've occasionally wondered if a Magic Trackpad or some other bluetooth touchpad could work with a car infotainment.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yerok posted:

The fake shifter better have bushings that go to poo poo and a tiny motor with an off axis weight to shake the knob

I won't be satisfied unless it feels like stirring rocks on a morning below freezing, only to slowly loosen up.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Saukkis posted:

I've occasionally wondered if a Magic Trackpad or some other bluetooth touchpad could work with a car infotainment.

I see you haven’t been in a late model Lexus

It doesn’t work well at all

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Someone plug a mouse into their car and see if it works.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Saukkis posted:

Try using the touchpad on a laptop while a car is in motion.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Isn't the top of the BMW idrive control puck a touchpad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

taqueso posted:

Isn't the top of the BMW idrive control puck a touchpad?

Yes, but not to navigate through the infotainment. It’s just for the gimmicky hand writing of letters when you’re trying to set a destination on the nav.