Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

They're young. I don't have the heart to tell them.

There IS something to be said for making sure you are living with purpose and living fully from here on in, as the reality "tomorrow is not promised" isn't some weird instagram picture to share anymore, but a reality that is understood now.

I mean, we're converting our house to passive house ASAP this year, and expanding our garden (which already provides about 50% of our food) in the expectation that things will be slowly falling apart. energy rates are already through the roof here. I would be preparing for things to get much worse on many different fronts. I want to be in a position to drop out of the work force at a moment's notice and basically ignore most of society. covid just seems like one problem among many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

that has to be chairmaster

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

doomerism is just as born of capitalist solipsism and ignorance as Qanon or Boomer poo poo. Do us all a favour an go huff your farts somewhere else

it’s all special kid syndrome

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

A tattoo shop called Spite Mankind would be pretty rad.

Somebody has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Feb 11, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

that has to be chairmaster

chairmaster posts here regularly and makes contributions that are way better than that garbage

anyway I'm going to edit that post out because it's not cool to promote self-harm, thanks everybody

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Karach posted:

I mean, we're converting our house to passive house ASAP this year, and expanding our garden (which already provides about 50% of our food) in the expectation that things will be slowly falling apart. energy rates are already through the roof here. I would be preparing for things to get much worse on many different fronts. I want to be in a position to drop out of the work force at a moment's notice and basically ignore most of society. covid just seems like one problem among many.

I wish I could afford a house.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Universal terrorsmut is opening for Spite Mankind at Heavy Montreal.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Lostconfused posted:

I've already decided to go out in the climate apocalypse and you won't convince to settle for some 2nd rate pandemic instead :colbert:

see even this is kinda annoying. Not to dig into you specifically, but the whole climate apocalypse thing is extremely frustrating because that’s not what’s going to happen. Even in our worst case scenarios, there will be human life in large amounts on this planet. It’s not going to hit everywhere in a sudden murder wave

what is going to happen is regions will become inhospitable and the people will have no support, prompting mass migration. This is already happening. It is not something we live in fear in the just-over-the horizon future, it’s our current reality. And the danger for us, in the west, is much more about what it will to our society, and therefore to us.

My biggest fear is it will make me into a bad person. That for the sake of my stability and the safety and stability of my family I will give into the hollowing out of my humanity and not fight against measures I know are coming to deal with impeding crises. That, surrounded by hopeless doomer leftists and already hollowed out liberals or reactionaries, I will convince myself it’s meaningless to participate ever and just live my life ignoring it all, focusing on my individual situation like capitalism wants.

It’s never too late, things can always change, and with work we could save everyone, today more than ever before. We have more capability to deal with, mitigate and build upon our shifting climate than at any time in history. It’s all possible

But for it to happen we have to believe it can. We have to want to see a better future and work towards it, even though we may not be the ones to see it. We have to stop thinking like capitalists, about only our individual arc, and see a collective project again.

And imagining the sword of damocles above your head, even in jokes, doesn’t help you get there.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yeah i'm extremely anxious about climate change and peak oil, covid is just a short term distraction. my personal plan is to keep losing weight so if a bad variant comes along i'll be in a better state to survive it, not much else i can really do if everyone else collectively stops caring.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

vyelkin posted:

chairmaster posts here regularly and makes contributions that are way better than that garbage

anyway I'm going to edit that post out because it's not cool to promote self-harm, thanks everybody

I was going to guess CI

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Oct 29, 2022

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah i'm extremely anxious about climate change and peak oil, covid is just a short term distraction. my personal plan is to keep losing weight so if a bad variant comes along i'll be in a better state to survive it, not much else i can really do if everyone else collectively stops caring.

Same, I need to be able to do a pullup in the apocalypse, movies have taught me I'll be hanging from the edge of a cliff at least once.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

B33rChiller posted:

I was going to guess CI

oh holy poo poo. I took a break from posting for a while and forgot a lot but you mentioning those initials just brought back a lot of memories lol

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

see even this is kinda annoying. Not to dig into you specifically, but the whole climate apocalypse thing is extremely frustrating because that’s not what’s going to happen. Even in our worst case scenarios, there will be human life in large amounts on this planet. It’s not going to hit everywhere in a sudden murder wave

what is going to happen is regions will become inhospitable and the people will have no support, prompting mass migration. This is already happening. It is not something we live in fear in the just-over-the horizon future, it’s our current reality. And the danger for us, in the west, is much more about what it will to our society, and therefore to us.

My biggest fear is it will make me into a bad person. That for the sake of my stability and the safety and stability of my family I will give into the hollowing out of my humanity and not fight against measures I know are coming to deal with impeding crises. That, surrounded by hopeless doomer leftists and already hollowed out liberals or reactionaries, I will convince myself it’s meaningless to participate ever and just live my life ignoring it all, focusing on my individual situation like capitalism wants.

It’s never too late, things can always change, and with work we could save everyone, today more than ever before. We have more capability to deal with, mitigate and build upon our shifting climate than at any time in history. It’s all possible

But for it to happen we have to believe it can. We have to want to see a better future and work towards it, even though we may not be the ones to see it. We have to stop thinking like capitalists, about only our individual arc, and see a collective project again.

And imagining the sword of damocles above your head, even in jokes, doesn’t help you get there.

I like you.

We absolutely can have our voice heard and change things.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
oh whoops

mom and dad fight a lot has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Feb 11, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I lost count of all the times you insisted you weren't mentally unwell.

my "not mentally unwell" post is provoking a lot of questions already answered by my post

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Every human who's ever lived is doomed, and our oldest stories are about coming to terms with that. I might die of disease or violence or starvation, or be one of the lucky ones who dies of old age, but I'm sure as hell not going to give the universe an easy win.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Chamale posted:

Every human who's ever lived is doomed, and our oldest stories are about coming to terms with that. I might die of disease or violence or starvation, or be one of the lucky ones who dies of old age, but I'm sure as hell not going to give the universe an easy win.

Be like the rat (gerbil?). Even covered in black goo keep on smilin behind the mask

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I want to read what that post said!!! !

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

paul_soccer12 posted:

I want to read what that post said!!! !

Essentially the Great Barrington Declaration filtered through the mind of an edgy 13 year old who only watches Quentin Tarantino films.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I wish I could afford a house.

start stockpiling corrugated sheet metal now! you can have the best shanty in the slum.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m not a doomer, it’s just that Petrarch said that mind and body cannot be separated so to be ethical is to be healthy.

Which means even if people want to fulfil their material desires, they are thinking, and from that, must think a virus impedes their ability to fulfil them. It stands to reason then that preservation of the body, which the mind would achieve through temperance, even abstinence, is the only way to ultimately get what they want.

Being alone for a limited time now so we can spend much more time together later, as opposed to getting together now for a much more limited time so that as a consequence we have to spend eternity alone later, sooner than we’d like. Thoughts like that are still in pursuit of their wants, while preserving their lives. Their minds should guide them to that.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

Essentially the Great Barrington Declaration filtered through the mind of an edgy 13 year old who only watches Quentin Tarantino films.

Why censor it like this lol

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

paul_soccer12 posted:

Why censor it like this lol

it was more like Dostoevsky by way of an anime villain.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m not a doomer, it’s just that Petrarch said that mind and body cannot be separated so to be ethical is to be healthy.

Which means even if people want to fulfil their material desires, they are thinking, and from that, must think a virus impedes their ability to fulfil them. It stands to reason then that preservation of the body, which the mind would achieve through temperance, even abstinence, is the only way to ultimately get what they want.

Being alone for a limited time now so we can spend much more time together later, as opposed to getting together now for a much more limited time so that as a consequence we have to spend eternity alone later, sooner than we’d like. Thoughts like that are still in pursuit of their wants, while preserving their lives. Their minds should guide them to that.

I dig what you're saying, but how do you convince people of it? I don't mean the general public, good luck with that, but the people around you that can influence the people around them, etc. etc.

Already on my (very limited) social media, I'm hearing "FREEDOM" or a cautious happiness. Those that are still cautious by summer will be full-blown "FREEDOM" if it doesn't impact them personally.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Karach posted:

it was more like Dostoevsky by way of an anime villain.

Thats why I wanna read it!!

Maybe I'm safer off being sheltered from incorrect thought tho

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honk!

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Looks like a lot of you need to read and take comfort:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/covid-reopening-anxiety-1.6346382

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I dig what you're saying, but how do you convince people of it? I don't mean the general public, good luck with that, but the people around you that can influence the people around them, etc. etc.

Already on my (very limited) social media, I'm hearing "FREEDOM" or a cautious happiness. Those that are still cautious by summer will be full-blown "FREEDOM" if it doesn't impact them personally.

I’m struggling with that too. I suppose it’s getting at their understanding of freedom. Freedom to do something does not extinguish all of the reasons not to. The reason not to go out was never that it was not permitted, strictly speaking, but because there is a virus. Whatever freedom they have, their will has no control over the virus. However they decide to act the virus will still be there. Since it will still be there and they can’t change that, they should then decide to act knowing the virus is there, which means controlling their actions, the only thing in their power.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

let's fuckin do this https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/end-to-protest-danger-1.6347861

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

one thing that's made me very uneasy throughout the pandemic is the fact that major news media decided it was their responsibility to make us OK with every stupid thing our leaders do. it seems like some misplaced patriotism

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I've basically resigned myself to never going to a bar, show, event, date, or crowded restaurant ever again. I don't even want to go grocery shopping on the weekend because it's too crowded.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

paul_soccer12 posted:

Thats why I wanna read it!!

Maybe I'm safer off being sheltered from incorrect thought tho

this is canspam, friend. we're fine with censorship as long as it's in aid of peace, order, and good governance

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The “authorities fear any action could radicalize them” line is weird because in the absence of any pushback at all they’re demonstrably radical. That means it’s only a contest of capacity, not belief or resolve, again because it’s been 3 weeks, 3 border crossings etc.

There is no way to meet their demands, which is beside the point, because they haven’t overmatched state capacity, and no pressure - demonstration of capacity - has been applied to weaken their belief and resolve, where they have demonstrated their capacity. What are they going to do, stay longer, bring more trucks? We know where the culminating point is, we know the extend to which they are able to act upon it, we need only exceed it.

loving this is day one stuff, idk why this has taken 3 weeks, The Estimate takes an hour and nothing has changed:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m struggling with that too. I suppose it’s getting at their understanding of freedom. Freedom to do something does not extinguish all of the reasons not to. The reason not to go out was never that it was not permitted, strictly speaking, but because there is a virus. Whatever freedom they have, their will has no control over the virus. However they decide to act the virus will still be there. Since it will still be there and they can’t change that, they should then decide to act knowing the virus is there, which means controlling their actions, the only thing in their power.

freedom means i get to do whatever i want without limitations at all times and if it impacts anybody else that is not my problem. anything less is tyranny

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I've basically resigned myself to never going to a bar, show, event, date, or crowded restaurant ever again. I don't even want to go grocery shopping on the weekend because it's too crowded.

Go in the evenings if you can - it's always dead. I did this before the plague too! Or a Saturday early morning - like 8am. Ghost town. People only start piling in by 10-11am.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Frosted Flake posted:

The “authorities fear any action could radicalize them” line is weird because in the absence of any pushback at all they’re demonstrably radical. That means it’s only a contest of capacity, not belief or resolve, again because it’s been 3 weeks, 3 border crossings etc.

There is no way to meet their demands, which is beside the point, because they haven’t overmatched state capacity, and no pressure - demonstration of capacity - has been applied to weaken their belief and resolve, where they have demonstrated their capacity. What are they going to do, stay longer, bring more trucks? We know where the culminating point is, we know the extend to which they are able to act upon it, we need only exceed it.

loving this is day one stuff, idk why this has taken 3 weeks, The Estimate takes an hour and nothing has changed:

no radicalization here, no sir

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i know the 90s were a long time ago now but did everyone just forget about the threat of radical right wing domestic terrorists or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

early to mid 90s you couldn't throw a rock without hitting an incredibly unflattering depiction of right-wing radical militias in the media.

30 years later and no one know what the gently caress even