Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Concurred posted:

Is there any feather gear for casters? I have Suzaku's glowy book but can't find anything that looks phoenixy. I know there's the Replica Dreadwyrm gear which has the dragon wings, but... not the same

The Ravel Keeper's casting set has some feathers on it and you can dye it. The headpiece, for example, has a peacock feather in the back, but dying metallic orange makes it look a bit more phoenixy.

The Black Griffin ilvl 180 PVP set is also kind of feathery, though it's got big griffins on the side of the robe, naturally, so it may not fit the theme. There's also the Peacock Attire from the cash shop, but it's not super feathery.

I wish you could dye the Edencall earrings that look like little feathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You could try the birdhead gear that I use with my suzaku weapon. Level 86 buyable for gil helmet for casters.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I kinda want to build something around the sharlayan laurel wreath, it's fancy and cute

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I usually stay subbed until the odd numbered patch and then unsub after doing the beast tribe

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm usually always subbed, even if I don't play that much. The tragedy of being a homeowner.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm usually always subbed, even if I don't play that much. The tragedy of being a homeowner.

Property taxes.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

hazardousmouse posted:

I kinda want to build something around the sharlayan laurel wreath, it's fancy and cute

i love it and i've used it as my main headgear since grinding out the fates early on. the hipoly grapes are very cute!!!

Consummate Professional posted:

I finished Eureka. Are there any follow up quests or does it just end?

Next up: finishing BLU levels.

:hfive: got my first BA a couple days ago, i now have glorb (glow + orb). i've since done another BA and i'm hoping to do another today, so i guess that's just what i do now??

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

unless the markets have shifted the fragments that drop from BA chests are decent moneymakers and enough of an incentive to run it multiple times alongside the change of getting the rarer minion/weapon glams

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Ah gently caress. The idea to cosplay the WH40k god emperor just popped in. Now I want to go home early to research armors

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

Ah gently caress. The idea to cosplay the WH40k god emperor just popped in. Now I want to go home early to research armors

Total Warham 3 is coming out in a few days....

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know legacy raiding terms have a way of sticking around long past when they were useful, but if you have a RING weapon that hits a RING around the enemy, calling it Dynamo is just trying to be smug about how oldskool you are while people die from confusion.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Seems like you knew what a dynamo was, next issue

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have never once heard them called ring aoes

they're usually called donuts to emphasize the hole in the middle

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

surely we could just go back to the argument about whether Eureka is good or bad. I much prefer that to "actually you're a bad person if you use X terminology for Y mechanic."

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I know legacy raiding terms have a way of sticking around long past when they were useful, but if you have a RING weapon that hits a RING around the enemy, calling it Dynamo is just trying to be smug about how oldskool you are while people die from confusion.

cope

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if you can come up with a succinct name for "repeatedly dropping aoes at your feet" I'll replace panto with it in my lexicon

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

everyone’s just getting ready for ucob

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

cheetah7071 posted:

if you can come up with a succinct name for "repeatedly dropping aoes at your feet" I'll replace panto with it in my lexicon

“RUN, RUN, OR YOU’LL BE WELL DONE”?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I know legacy raiding terms have a way of sticking around long past when they were useful, but if you have a ARENA SPLITTING LINE COMING FROM THE MIDDLE OF THE BOSS weapon that hits a ARENA SPLITTING LINE COMING FROM THE MIDDLE OF THE BOSS around the enemy, calling it hot tail is just trying to be smug about how oldskool you are while people die from confusion.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Or just call it a hot tail now that you know what it is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if you said "arena splitting line coming from the middle of the boss" that could mean several things (is is a random orientation? fixed orientation? does it always point the same way as the boss?) and also takes a ton of time to call out and a ton of limited characters to say in a pf description if you want to describe your pf strat

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

All jargon/slang sucks until you learn it. Then only most of it sucks.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

stillness/motion in seat of sacrifice if you really wanna flex

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Comes in two versions: Chaser (usually has arrows on it these days, fast follower so have a line that doesn't have other folks in the way) or Bait (repeated stutter AoEs on some/all of the party, sometimes everyone needs to move together, sometimes you just don't want to cut someone else off).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
by the time you finish saying "undodgeable cone aoes aimed at players" everyone's already died to the protean

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

mmm tasty flamethrower protean

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
but they already died trying while trying to figure out what protean means

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

Comes in two versions: Chaser (usually has arrows on it these days, fast follower so have a line that doesn't have other folks in the way) or Bait (repeated stutter AoEs on some/all of the party, sometimes everyone needs to move together, sometimes you just don't want to cut someone else off).

bait means something specific and not quite the same as panto, which would be more accurately described as repeated baiting while other aoes force you into a narrow part of the arena. I do call out 'bait' for the ground puddles in P4S act 2 which don't repeat and don't have any accompanying aoes, but you move pretty differently when it's repeated, enough to deserve a different name in callouts

I wouldn't describe what you call chaser as panto at all

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

call anything that involves a group handling complex individual responsibility mechanics wormhole

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

cheetah7071 posted:

by the time you finish saying "undodgeable cone aoes aimed at players" everyone's already died to the protean

"cone spread" :shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vitamean posted:

call anything that involves a group handling complex individual responsibility mechanics wormhole

I do mentally sort those kinds of mechanics into the hello world pile (a large number of roles you might get but relatively simple to execute) and a light rampant pile (relatively small number of possibilities but they're finnicky to execute)

I should call out act 2 as light rampant next week

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I do agree that there's one place where this kind of jargon should never occur: guides to fights. Call mechanics by their proper name, with full descriptions that assume no experience of previous fights in guides, imo. Maybe put in a bit saying "you might see this called flamethrower" if you're feeling spicy.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I call the one in alliance raids a lot where one person gets targeted and has to run from following AOEs 'feint' or 'feint beam' because I'm pretty sure Cloud of Darkness's Feint Particle Beam is the first thing that does it? I guess Eruption kind of, but it's not really the same.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Important:

https://twitter.com/PixieInktvis/status/1492242043803996162

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

bait means something specific and not quite the same as panto, which would be more accurately described as repeated baiting while other aoes force you into a narrow part of the arena. I do call out 'bait' for the ground puddles in P4S act 2 which don't repeat and don't have any accompanying aoes, but you move pretty differently when it's repeated, enough to deserve a different name in callouts

I wouldn't describe what you call chaser as panto at all

Then what is panto and where does it come from? Googling ff14 panto just turns up the pantomime emote. Are you talking something like (Endwalker EX1) Phlegethon but ONLY when it's used right after Exoterikos? That seems like a narrow definition for the sake of callouts if used outside the fight where it's directly called that.

I'm a big fan of callouts directly linking to what you're supposed to do as opposed to being tied to a specific fight. Some specific combination of actions (taunt and hug) can be called Grace for P1S because that's the name for it, but it's not a term that's going to stick around for that same combination later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Krile. G'raha would give it an enthusiastic attempt.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bene job, me coveys, to the old dimber dambers lendin' their daddles the new swads whiddling the old ken afore a mate prattlin chariot dynamo addles the cutters getting the swivin' lightmans bob knocked out of them.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Bruceski posted:

Then what is panto and where does it come from? Googling ff14 panto just turns up the pantomime emote. Are you talking something like (Endwalker EX1) Phlegethon but ONLY when it's used right after Exoterikos? That seems like a narrow definition for the sake of callouts if used outside the fight where it's directly called that.

I'm a big fan of callouts directly linking to what you're supposed to do as opposed to being tied to a specific fight. Some specific combination of actions (taunt and hug) can be called Grace for P1S because that's the name for it, but it's not a term that's going to stick around for that same combination later.

guessing it's pantokrator
https://gfycat.com/fickleserpentinebarb

so eruption from ifrit

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 11, 2022

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Is this different from an earthshaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

Pantokrator from O11S