Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

snorch posted:

It's been a while since I've done a proper MPC jam. These Sufjan chords are mine now.

https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/0088_sufjam

I initially set out looking for the isolated Lisztomania vocal from Phoenix to go on top of the jam, but found this band class acapella instead. I think it works even better.

when the revenant/
came down/
we couldn’t imagine what it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Just get Koala on your platform of choice. It rules.

This one?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.elf.koalasampler
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/koala-sampler/id1449584007

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Kinda wanna try programming audio stuff, is a vst/au the best way to make something usable?

Writing vst’s would work. You could also generate wav files by adding a bunch of sines together (or other methods) and use those as samples. Or look into creating virtual modules for VCV Rack.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you have an iOS device, look up Audulus. There's a beta for Audulus 4 you can get into pretty easily. I guess Audulus 3 would be fine too but it's several years since its last update at this point.

But either way, it's a super low level audio processing app. It's not programming in the strictest sense because you're dragging boxes and connecting lines, but to get anything interesting out of it you're going to need the same knowledge you'd use to program anything.

The beta: https://testflight.apple.com/join/F5IZKazB

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
It would be helpful to know what kind of prior experience you have with this stuff. The community over at KVR have lots of DSP knowledge to share, and there are plenty of frameworks to choose from to program either VST or AU plugins. Check out this for starters:

https://integraudio.com/best-tools-to-develop-vst-plugins/

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

EE school dropout. 10+ years of software engineering jobs

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

yep, that's the one. Theres a free windows version too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Don't know if it has the most long term promise or widest appeal per se, but you can easily get your feet wet with the jsfx language in Reaper.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Learn Arduino sound programming!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:lol: Modular Addict got Mex’s in stock literally 3 days after I ordered one from Thonk. :homebrew:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Don't know if it has the most long term promise or widest appeal per se, but you can easily get your feet wet with the jsfx language in Reaper.

JSFX is awesome because it provides instant feedback. I use it all the time to try out new ideas, and it's essential in prototyping the synth I'm currently working on. The language can take a little getting used to (array indexing is a bit of a headache) but you can do basically everything, and the documentation is small enough that you could skim the whole thing in a single evening and have a pretty good idea of how stuff works. It's also nice because as a scripting language you can pick apart the whole FX library source to see how other people do stuff, borrow different filter implementations, etc.

petit choux posted:

Learn Arduino sound programming!

I love Arduino but honestly for audio stuff the hardware is less than ideal. Axoloti used to be the way to go for hardware but that project is dead, these days I'd recommend something like daisy which has plenty of DSP horsepower:
https://www.electro-smith.com/daisy

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Yeah, I worry about the folks at Synthcube.

I haven't heard too much. This is only my fifth or so order from them, though and I think a few of those orders were just for cables. I think the only issue I had previously was trouble with their website trying to leave a review of the kits I bought. In this particular case I can see how the mistake happened since they were pulling the BoM from the designer's BoM and it was the Designer's that was wrong. But also I guess I'm the first one to buy that kit from them or something? Seems weird because it looks like a pretty functional logic module for the price and was a fun build before I got stalled by the missing jack.

I won't hold this one against 'em but I'll keep my eye out.

I think I've also been UNUSUALLY lucky with eurorack modules. My o_C, Rings, and Plaits I think are all from Momo and I've heard he's had a lot of issues with both shipping and quality. Everything I've gotten has been fine as far as I can tell except o_C feels so esoteric to me sometimes that I can't tell if the occasional seemingly wrong note is because of a Problem or just from me being bad at o_C lmao

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

nominal posted:

I haven't heard too much. This is only my fifth or so order from them, though and I think a few of those orders were just for cables. I think the only issue I had previously was trouble with their website trying to leave a review of the kits I bought. In this particular case I can see how the mistake happened since they were pulling the BoM from the designer's BoM and it was the Designer's that was wrong. But also I guess I'm the first one to buy that kit from them or something? Seems weird because it looks like a pretty functional logic module for the price and was a fun build before I got stalled by the missing jack.

I won't hold this one against 'em but I'll keep my eye out.

I think I've also been UNUSUALLY lucky with eurorack modules. My o_C, Rings, and Plaits I think are all from Momo and I've heard he's had a lot of issues with both shipping and quality. Everything I've gotten has been fine as far as I can tell except o_C feels so esoteric to me sometimes that I can't tell if the occasional seemingly wrong note is because of a Problem or just from me being bad at o_C lmao

There’s a calibration process for the O_C. I haven’t built mine yet (jacks arrive tomorrow), but if you have a multimeter, try it out.

https://ornament-and-cri.me/calibration/

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I backed the Jammy E guitar midi controller and it's been a disaster so far from the software to the physical setup- I feel like it's worth more right now still in the box unopened to some weirdo collector 20 years down the line than it would ever be after jumping through the hoops people gone through. So if you or anyone you know is looking at this thing beware that no one has got it close to resembling what it looks like in the sales video. Like, ok, yeah, it never is that good but this is the perfect kickstarter storm of the creators over promising on everything. Get an EWI instead.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

Kinda wanna try programming audio stuff, is a vst/au the best way to make something usable?

If you want to make a playable virtual instrument, yes.

Check out Surge, you could make a new oscillator model or a new filter model just by messing with the original code. All the rest is already done and working. Also there is a great Discord community in case you need help.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

B33rChiller posted:

Is this how you do drum and bass? I don't know genres at all. It has drums and bass in it, I guess ?

It sounds pretty good, sort of like the Tron stuff Daft Punk did.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

And don’t even get me started on Synthrotek and all their weirdness.

*Stares at Roboto module I just built sitting in front of me*

Uh oh...

Well at least the Crime and Ornament kit was out of stock at Synthcube, that's good to know they can be a bit wiggy with components. And so far so good on all the AISynthesis kits I've bought. Been very much enjoying putting those together.

Unrelated to kits, does anyone have any opinions on Lumi Keys? I can fudge my way around the piano and know some basic scales and what all the keys are, but I stupidly gave up on piano lessons as a kid because I thought piano was terribly dull and didn't like being told what to do. Now I wish I were better at playing with both hands, and it seems like a fun bit of kit with gamified learning for not too terrible pricing. Plus I like the idea of slapping multiple keyboards together to make keyboard voltron and having a polyphonic synth with a pre-patched samples

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

*Stares at Roboto module I just built sitting in front of me*

Uh oh...

Well at least the Crime and Ornament kit was out of stock at Synthcube, that's good to know they can be a bit wiggy with components. And so far so good on all the AISynthesis kits I've bought. Been very much enjoying putting those together.

I got the 12 jacks for my uO&C kit today, so I was trying to finish that up, and either Synthcube gave me a Pogo Pin that was too short, or they gave me pin sockets that were too tall. Or maybe they weren't supposed to give me any sockets at all and I was supposed to solder the Teensy straight to the PCB (there's a video on YouTube that says don't do this).

I read a bunch of poo poo on Mod Wiggler, and ended up trying to run a wire from the Pogo to the Teensy, and just ended up burning out the pad on the Teensy... and now nothing works. Ordered a new Teensy on mouser along with some other odds and ends I'd been saving up, then stupidly went and desoldered the switch that covers the hole where the Pogo Pin goes, and... somehow my solder sucker broke a leg on the switch. :eng99:

Somehow, my mouser order has already shipped even though I placed the order after 8pm on a Friday night, so there's no way to just add some switches to it.

I'm really not having a good time with these digital SMD kits. :emo:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/6iSiclCMj_k

he’s gotten very good at this

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
RE: synthcube
I'm probably more concerned with the stewardship of the Blacet stuff than their webshop/storefront but it's been a rough couple of years.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I got the 12 jacks for my uO&C kit today, so I was trying to finish that up, and either Synthcube gave me a Pogo Pin that was too short, or they gave me pin sockets that were too tall. Or maybe they weren't supposed to give me any sockets at all and I was supposed to solder the Teensy straight to the PCB (there's a video on YouTube that says don't do this).

I read a bunch of poo poo on Mod Wiggler, and ended up trying to run a wire from the Pogo to the Teensy, and just ended up burning out the pad on the Teensy... and now nothing works. Ordered a new Teensy on mouser along with some other odds and ends I'd been saving up, then stupidly went and desoldered the switch that covers the hole where the Pogo Pin goes, and... somehow my solder sucker broke a leg on the switch. :eng99:

Somehow, my mouser order has already shipped even though I placed the order after 8pm on a Friday night, so there's no way to just add some switches to it.

I'm really not having a good time with these digital SMD kits. :emo:

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. Doesn't help you much now, but with the Teensy board (and Arduinos in general) I really like to solder male headers to the board, so they can be moved around to different projects and popped out/connected to a breadboard.

eg:

It's a good idea to just have extra headers on hand, and a variety pack of switches is also a good buy. Mouser carries headers, probably cheaper than Adafruit but as an example here's what I'm referring to:

Just snip to length at the joint

And then you'd typically solder the corresponding socket to the board for the project. Caveat being it all depends on the particular project, but that usually means you can reuse the expensive components like arduino boards and helps protect the more heat sensitive ICs from excessive heat. You can also get taller sockets and headers if need be.

To your credit, desoldering is a huge pain in the butt. No clean flux is your friend, along with the solder sucker and copper desoldering braid to clean up the pad after getting the excess with the sucker out. Depending on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go, a hot air rework station can also also super helpful when desoldering components, but flux and your iron does well with some practice

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 12, 2022

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://youtu.be/6iSiclCMj_k

he’s gotten very good at this

I tried out the polyend tracker yesterday and it crashed twice in the 20 minutes I was trying it out, including a screen glitch that lasted through multiple power cycles. I also realized it doesn’t have cv out.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. Doesn't help you much now, but with the Teensy board (and Arduinos in general) I really like to solder male headers to the board, so they can be moved around to different projects and popped out/connected to a breadboard.

eg:

It's a good idea to just have extra headers on hand, and a variety pack of switches is also a good buy. Mouser carries headers, probably cheaper than Adafruit but as an example here's what I'm referring to:

Just snip to length at the joint

And then you'd typically solder the corresponding socket to the board for the project. Caveat being it all depends on the particular project, but that usually means you can reuse the expensive components like arduino boards and helps protect the more heat sensitive ICs from excessive heat. You can also get taller sockets and headers if need be.

To your credit, desoldering is a huge pain in the butt. No clean flux is your friend, along with the solder sucker and copper desoldering braid to clean up the pad after getting the excess with the sucker out. Depending on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go, a hot air rework station can also also super helpful when desoldering components, but flux and your iron does well with some practice

I actually have header pins on the Teensy. I did not solder it directly to the board.

SynthCube gave me a 6mm pogo pin, but the sockets + header pins add up to something in the neighborhood of 13-15mm. So either the pogo is too short, or the socket the header pins go into are to tall. If I bypassed the sockets, I see how it could work, but the sockets are already soldered on, and I already tried talking one off and decided not to go in that direction. I thought about maybe trying to cut the sockets in half lengthwise to halve their height, but that seems ridiculous and unlikely to result in anything usable.

I’ve done a lot of reading on this since last night, and it seems like there’s a good chance I didn’t even need the pogo -> reset thing, so I’ve basically been breaking my poo poo for no reason at all. :thumbsup:

As for flux, desoldering braid, and even a hot air station - I’ve got all that, but these Creative Commons licensed PCBs don’t take to any of that very well.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

inferis posted:

I tried out the polyend tracker yesterday and it crashed twice in the 20 minutes I was trying it out, including a screen glitch that lasted through multiple power cycles. I also realized it doesn’t have cv out.

that’s more issues than i’ve with mine for over half a year at this point but that’s very unfortunate

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Jeez the polyend people sure aren't being subtle about who they're marketing to.

:colbert: make me, polyend

It seems like an interesting piece of kit, you could have a complete lonely island setup if you just paired it with an ipod.

I really don't feel like spending money on a tracker, but I do remember having a great time making tunes in Buzz. Maybe I'll futz around with emulators to see if I can get any kind of workable MIDI sync with Octamed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sunvox's midi is pretty good. Setting it up is a little weird (each module can have its own midi receive/send, don't know why a filter or compressor needs to send midi but you can do it) but once you figure it out it's solid and can drive anything. It does CC too.

My only issue with it is entering notes is agony on a touch screen, so run it on a PC or get a keyboard for your tablet/phone.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

snorch posted:

Jeez the polyend people sure aren't being subtle about who they're marketing to.

eurorack manufacturers to their marketing people: no, don't ever do this, you're going to cost us a fuckton of money

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I actually have header pins on the Teensy. I did not solder it directly to the board.

SynthCube gave me a 6mm pogo pin, but the sockets + header pins add up to something in the neighborhood of 13-15mm. So either the pogo is too short, or the socket the header pins go into are to tall. If I bypassed the sockets, I see how it could work, but the sockets are already soldered on, and I already tried talking one off and decided not to go in that direction. I thought about maybe trying to cut the sockets in half lengthwise to halve their height, but that seems ridiculous and unlikely to result in anything usable.

I’ve done a lot of reading on this since last night, and it seems like there’s a good chance I didn’t even need the pogo -> reset thing, so I’ve basically been breaking my poo poo for no reason at all. :thumbsup:

As for flux, desoldering braid, and even a hot air station - I’ve got all that, but these Creative Commons licensed PCBs don’t take to any of that very well.

Ah, that's my bad, I misread your post! Sorry for the pedantry, I've soldered the wrong headers to a teensy board before so it took me trial and error to figure that one out.

Sort of synth related, I just got in a Yahama MG10XU mixing console and I'm so excited and delighted to have extra ins and some vocal fx for mic input! I thought the Roboto module would be endless vocoder fun, but no, it's the pitch shifting, auto wah, and phaser FX built into the mixer that has been keeping me preoccupied. Can't wait for the AISynthesis stomp box adapter kit to come in so I can hook up my pedal board to this nightmare train :sun:

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Made a thing this weekend:

https://soundcloud.com/dogjoke/mouthful2a

And another thing a few weekends ago:

https://soundcloud.com/dogjoke/soak2d

All sounds are the minilogue XD except for the drums on soak, which are from an SR-16.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

Sunvox's midi is pretty good. Setting it up is a little weird (each module can have its own midi receive/send, don't know why a filter or compressor needs to send midi but you can do it) but once you figure it out it's solid and can drive anything. It does CC too.

My only issue with it is entering notes is agony on a touch screen, so run it on a PC or get a keyboard for your tablet/phone.

this is actually something I've wanted for a while lol

compressors triggering other things (like filters?) when they start hitting would be cool for a daft punk homework type sound

I've bounced off of sunvox's UI every other time I've tried to get in but maybe this will be the pull

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

I've bounced off of sunvox's UI every other time I've tried to get in but maybe this will be the pull

The modular synth part of it is pretty top notch, everything in there is standard parameters so if you can drag lines between boxes you can make a sound.

The tracker half is another world though. I can do it, I just can't enjoy it like I do clicking boxes on a piano roll because I really dislike needing a reference card nearby to remember the codes for automation parameters. So I use it as an effects unit and pump midi into it from a tool I do enjoy. :v:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

kidfresca posted:

Made a thing this weekend:

https://soundcloud.com/dogjoke/mouthful2a

And another thing a few weekends ago:

https://soundcloud.com/dogjoke/soak2d

All sounds are the minilogue XD except for the drums on soak, which are from an SR-16.

These are both excellent! Really impressive variety of voices on each track as well, I just love the atmospheric synthwave chords on the second track

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Those are both fun doot doot tracks, in my book!

Nice work kidfresca.
Here's a sound I made, looking for something dirty and mournful, Cortini style kinda thing.
https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/dirt

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Thank you!

I don't know when this happened, but retrokits opened (and filled) preorders for a small initial batch of RK-008s. In doing so, they have also revealed a price tag of 350€ and that the unit has storage equivalent to 16 MMT-8s in one (and with lots of modernized amenities to boot). It's very appealing because it's half the cost of a Squarp Pyramid and only at the expense of all those crazy things the Pyramid does that I will never, ever make use of.

Edit: and you can sysex dump existing data on an MMT-8 directly to the RK-008 and pickup where you left off.

kidfresca fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 14, 2022

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
It was a pain in the rear end to get all the right roms and software together but I can confirm that OctaMED 4.0 works fine with MIDI through WinUAE. I can send clock to the MPC, which can then send sync to the TD-3 :getin:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just FYI, this is why you disable “submit usage data” when given the option 😌

They know.

They know my shame.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

snorch posted:

It was a pain in the rear end to get all the right roms and software together but I can confirm that OctaMED 4.0 works fine with MIDI through WinUAE. I can send clock to the MPC, which can then send sync to the TD-3 :getin:

holy poo poo now I'm googling mac emus

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

snorch posted:

I really don't feel like spending money on a tracker, but I do remember having a great time making tunes in Buzz. Maybe I'll futz around with emulators to see if I can get any kind of workable MIDI sync with Octamed.

Sorry to zombie this reply but I'm so amazed to actually run into somebody else that used Buzz. I got my start in electronic music with Modedit around '93 or so and then eventually moved to Buzz in the early 2Ks. It was such a buggy, temperamental, chaotic bastard, but when things worked it really was a hell of a lot of fun, but once I moved to proper hardware I never looked back*

The Polyend Tracker is a lot of fun and has a lot in common with Buzz in that it does occasionally freak out for no apparent reason and want a reboot, but it's been really good at booting back up right to it's pre-crash state without me losing anything. I think all the years with Buzz made me numb to a lot of terrible crashing issues

*(I installed Buzz on my work computer and can do stupid stuff like wirelessly connect it to our school auditorium's sound system lmao)

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Buzz runaway DSP PTSD still lingers with me today whenever I start messing around with any kind of virtual modular environment. Muscle memory to hotkey or reach for the mute switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

snorch posted:

WinUAE will run you a nice OctaMed and you can crank out Hatari for some classic Cubase action. I have a Raspberry Pi 4 hanging off the back of my gear rack that just boots right into Hatari. It kicks rear end.

Speaking of my rack, I spent the entire loving afternoon finally running all the cables. Something I was putting off for two months now.

Everything talks to the mixer, MIDI is IN/OUT from my desk to my rack using two midi patchbays and a MIDI-1/4 TRS cable I put together. I’m running all my audio and MIDI through one fat monoprice audio 8-way TRS snake. I’m using Reface as control surface, decoupled from its internal synth. It sends MIDI to my PET and MPC which in turn control every other MIDI device in the chain depending on which I feel like using.

I am ///officially/// out of easy excuses to not be making music all the freakin’ time. It’s all hooked up and all working.

E: I forgot to post this the other day actually, but I pulled my old LeCroy scope out of mothballs and it’s super cool to watch waveforms as you play with sound editing. I’m not sure it’s useful but it’s hella cool seeing your parameters affect the waveform in realtime. I mean, if you have a synth that doesn’t already have a waveform display.