Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gruckles posted:

Is this different from an earthshaker?

Earthshaker targets specific people and sometimes you can move out before they hit you, Protean targets everyone and you either have to fan out (on offstage bosses) or go to clock positions (on normal ones)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

pantokrator is the depiction of the Alpha and Omega as an all-powerful being, next question

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
All these terms are really dumb but it's also helpful to have terms as a shorthand. I think we're stuck with it until people come up with a better nomenclature system, otherwise re-describing every mechanic that gets re-used would get old very fast.

Whatever new words get made up we should keep "Pantokrator" because it's really fun to say :colbert:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

here are some rare raid callouts you can #collect

wacky stacky
give daddy a kiss
updog
e10
personal responsibility

feel free to add your own

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

give daddy a kiss but not too much

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

raid callouts are jargon to the uninformed no matter what and aren’t a substitute for knowing a mechanic imo and different people get comfortable using different things

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Runa posted:

Bene job, me coveys, to the old dimber dambers lendin' their daddles the new swads whiddling the old ken afore a mate prattlin chariot dynamo addles the cutters getting the swivin' lightmans bob knocked out of them.

It's a shame the rogue quests don't have voice acting because I would like to hear Captain Jacke

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like the new double-tanky stackbusters

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Vitamean posted:

wacky stacky
give daddy a kiss
updog
e10
personal responsibility

spike = take a hike

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i ignore all call-outs and do mechanics on my own because trust is a weakness

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my callouts for curtain call are something like

go opposite, check your timers
step
step
check your timers
keep checking your timers
step
step
check your timers again
almost done, check your timers
good job

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
When calling out the nifty new tank stack buster marker, I'd waiver between calling it a Tank Stack, or a Tank Split (damage) until I accidently called it a Tank Splat.

Now my static calls them Tank Splats.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There needs to be a cohesive language for raiding but it'd be nice if there were easier resources since so many are names after mechanics players are not going to see unless they unsync old content.

Once you know it you know it of course

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Vitamean posted:

wacky stacky
give daddy a kiss
updog
e10
personal responsibility

I understand most of these but what's updog

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think there was a google doc floating around some time ago that categorized mechanics and common terms for them

my fav was always the saltedxiv raid pages cause it'd collate various strats per fight

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

admanb posted:

I understand most of these but what's updog

using absolutely all of my strength and willpower to give you this serious answer:

it's when shadowkeeper stands up and casts an aoe around itself

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Vitamean posted:

using absolutely all of my strength and willpower to give you this serious answer:

it's when shadowkeeper stands up and casts an aoe around itself

sonuvabitch

this is almost worse than if you had just finished the joke

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vitamean posted:

wacky stacky
give daddy a kiss
updog
e10
personal responsibility

"tank time" is our callout for anytime tanks have to do something

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I’ve never seen panto for that concept outside of omega itself, only eruptions, going back to Ifrit

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vitamean posted:

wacky stacky
give daddy a kiss
updog
e10
personal responsibility

Giving me horrible flashbacks to the very first cyberpunk trailer I ever saw like 10 years ago

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Vitamean posted:

wacky stacky
give daddy a kiss
updog
e10
personal responsibility

For a while I thought of the Neo Exdeath big tank slam thing as "hitbox" because it's his one mechanic that would move his targeting ring into the arena instead of leaving it hovering at the edge.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

admanb posted:

sonuvabitch

this is almost worse than if you had just finished the joke

lol

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

"it's big"

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

>looking for new mechanics
>ask the person doing callouts if their mechanics are creepy or wet
>she doesnt understand
>pull out illustrated diagram explaing what is creepy and what is wet
>she laughs and says “they’re good mechanics sir”
>do the mechanics
>theyre wet

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 12, 2022

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Countblanc posted:

"tank time" is our callout for anytime tanks have to do something

Yeah the raid caller is my off-tank so he just says "tank poo poo now"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

since we're talking mechanic esoterica i got a question

those chasers like the second to final boss in the first nier raid, do those continue to actually chase their target in realtime or is their direction fixed once the first aoe marker vanishes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah the raid caller is my off-tank so he just says "tank poo poo now"

Sometimes the rest of us just have to say "tanks are doing something weird" and let them figure out on their own why that doesn't work. It's fun to find out how many ways there are to overthink a tankswap.

Ciaphas posted:

since we're talking mechanic esoterica i got a question

those chasers like the second to final boss in the first nier raid, do those continue to actually chase their target in realtime or is their direction fixed once the first aoe marker vanishes

They chase in realtime. Unless I'm misremembering something and that fight in particular does something weird. In general they always readjust.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Also general apologies, I think I'm overly snarky today. My guild's decided to try proper raiding this expansion instead of some folks tagging along with other groups and yesterday was the first time everybody got their poo poo together. Most of us were on an experience range between "alt of an experienced raider" and "read the mechanics, haven't done them in practice" but it turned out one tank was intentionally doing it blind, everyone else was fine with that but nobody had told me. Then when they figured out their mess and we hit enrage (15% when it wasn't a clean run at all, that's in the doable range once you clean it up) one of our PUG DPSers kept wiping us on subsequent attempts because he was trying to ignore mechanics in favor of uptime. Quad Chains is not a mechanic you try to do shenanigans in favor of uptime. It was a mess.

Add on computer troubles and other issues today, and I've just realized how absolutely grouchy I'm feeling without having realized it until now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm a little confused how they were losing uptime on quad chains. It's a full melee uptime mechanic

Unless they were a blm trying to plant until the last second? then you laugh at them cause they should move to their spot and then plant, instead of planting and then moving

e: or maybe they were trying for positionals, which would be very dumb. that's why true north exists

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I just started Heavensward the other night and does every voice actor change? Alphinaud and Merlwyb seem decidedly worse to me. Cid also seemed different but I don't recall enough of his old VA to have an opinion on the change.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

susan b buffering posted:

I just started Heavensward the other night and does every voice actor change? Alphinaud and Merlwyb seem decidedly worse to me. Cid also seemed different but I don't recall enough of his old VA to have an opinion on the change.

I think some of the characters added late in 2.x kept their VAs because they already knew the plan to switch studios by that point. Everyone else changed.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yep, they switched VA studios, it's all done in England now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm a little confused how they were losing uptime on quad chains. It's a full melee uptime mechanic

Unless they were a blm trying to plant until the last second? then you laugh at them cause they should move to their spot and then plant, instead of planting and then moving

e: or maybe they were trying for positionals, which would be very dumb. that's why true north exists

They were a monk who got red chains, being so far in that they got hit by purple. I think they were trying to run out to their spot at the last second without realizing it starts firing off three seconds in, but they did it three times in a row.

Edit: on that note, chains are totally random, right? As a Bard I only ever got red (if anything) both on the first chains and quad. Small sample size, but it gets me curious.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 12, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The puberty expansion. Some are better, some are worse, some you get used to, anyone who's on-screen right when the change happens gets the worst of it because you remember what they used to sound like.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

They were a monk who got red chains, being so far in that they got hit by purple. I think they were trying to run out to their spot at the last second without realizing it starts firing off three seconds in, but they did it three times in a row.

ah, probably less uptime and more just being bad. If you use the standard waymark placements, melee have no trouble hitting the boss from the red chain positions

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

ah, probably less uptime and more just being bad. If you use the standard waymark placements, melee have no trouble hitting the boss from the red chain positions

Yeah, and we were using waymarks from out Savage Raider guildie so I'm pretty sure they were in the right place. It was weird, that guy was on top of all the mechanics until we hit enrage and then he became a problem.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, and we were using waymarks from out Savage Raider guildie so I'm pretty sure they were in the right place. It was weird, that guy was on top of all the mechanics until we hit enrage and then he became a problem.

probably just exhaustion. happens to the best of us

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The call for all the "If you have this many dots go to <marker>" mechanics is "Sesame Street", because if you keep messing it up you should go watch more of it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

imagine having markers in the right place, i cant personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

thats not an ironic post i cant