Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Eldoop posted:

e: Oh and of course all my aunts and uncles who inherited those duchies have claims on my poo poo lol, didn't even think about that. I think it may be time to start a new game.

I've come to learn that trying to recover from those mistakes makes for the best of games. The Alfred the Great run I started with Royal Court I started on had England united within a generation of Alfred. I hosed up the succession and left my heir with a lovely part of Essex and 2 brothers holding 2 of the 5 counties. The smart brother somehow ended up with the duchy of Wessex and the inevitable claimant faction rolled into install him. I banked all the money I could and hired as many mercs as possible but I still ended up losing the war and got busted down to Duke and barely managed to hold Essex from the other 2 brothers. Took my meagre forces and two wars to reunite Essex under my rule and had to get my own claimant faction going. The crown passed hands 4 separate times over 10 years with Viking assholes invading from time to time before I finally managed to crush him for good, jail all the dukes and duchesses, revoked over half the duchies in the entire Kingdom before handing it back out to the loyalists. It was pretty satisfying executing the Duchess of York who started the claimant faction against me twice and watching her family rot in the dungeons till they all died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Eldoop posted:

I unpaused and immediately caught my mother loving an ox in my stables, so. Yes.

I'd have told her to stop because you're in the middle of playing a video game and its off-putting if it were me. No wonder you're making mistakes in game.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

MikeC posted:

I've come to learn that trying to recover from those mistakes makes for the best of games. The Alfred the Great run I started with Royal Court I started on had England united within a generation of Alfred. I hosed up the succession and left my heir with a lovely part of Essex and 2 brothers holding 2 of the 5 counties. The smart brother somehow ended up with the duchy of Wessex and the inevitable claimant faction rolled into install him. I banked all the money I could and hired as many mercs as possible but I still ended up losing the war and got busted down to Duke and barely managed to hold Essex from the other 2 brothers. Took my meagre forces and two wars to reunite Essex under my rule and had to get my own claimant faction going. The crown passed hands 4 separate times over 10 years with Viking assholes invading from time to time before I finally managed to crush him for good, jail all the dukes and duchesses, revoked over half the duchies in the entire Kingdom before handing it back out to the loyalists. It was pretty satisfying executing the Duchess of York who started the claimant faction against me twice and watching her family rot in the dungeons till they all died.

I'm gonna give it a little more time and see if I can salvage things but mostly I just feel like instead of leading to fun hijinks I'm just going to be doing the exact same slow conquest that I just spent two lifetimes doing. I am at least making a lot more money than I was at the beginning though, I got left with all my counties so Toulouse and Orleans are still pumping out piles of gold.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I'm a suni seljuk offshoot, I have the southern coast of asia minor and the entire duchy of anatolia, how the gently caress do I form RUM?

Confirmed bug:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-sultanate-of-rum-decision-disappeared.1509994/

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Oh hey whoops turns out I've been a fool and I do in fact have a great tool for getting back all that land: murder!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Intrigue tree up to the skill to have two schemes at once for extra efficiency.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I may be speaking too soon, but it seems like they’ve curtailed the byzantines. An alliance of Greek dukes are still a huge threat. But this game of forming RUM has been a slow trickle of holy wars whenever the emperor is busy with big civil wars. The emperor has been all over the place from like 12k to 2k manpower the whole game. I’ve been mostly soloing the wars whenever the empire is divided and I’ve really enjoyed loving up the evil eternal empire.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What are some good multiplayer starts to squeeze as much as possible out of the new features?

A friend and I had a Norse game where we Varangianed our way to the Mediterranean and set up Croatia and Italy under our shared kingdom of Italia. I guess that game is obsolete with the new expansion and patch and we need something new. It was getting a bit slow since all the territories we needed to reform Italia where under the massively powerful Byzantines so it was just a constant series of tiny wars.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I was deep in a messy holy war against Cathar Gascogne when my duke suddenly received a very romantic poem from the King of Burgundy talking about how much he longed to smooch him. This was also how I learned that there's a Kingdom of Burgundy now. And that I'm a vassal in it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

So the problem with faces in my game seems to have cleared up about six generations in. No more pudding people.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I am finding this game extremely boring. I started as Bohemia in 1066, I am spending all my time just speed 5ing waiting for RNG events to happen. It feels like its all the same poo poo from when the game launched. I managed to stick a nephew on the throne of a giant Hungary, but he got almost immediately ousted by a faction and there was no way to support his claim even though I was the one who loving put him there? Back to speed 5 waiting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m confused are you not doing anything? Stuff isn’t going to just happen

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Been playing as the Duke of Athens in 1066 to try out all these sweet new greek culture things and the Byzantine Empire is having an extremely normal time. There are basically constant revolts to become Emperor, all of which I ignore in favour of snagging more territory for myself and trying not to get squished by the 10k large piles of armies wandering around. I keep trying to make friends but after a mental breakdown turned me Arbitrary basically everyone hates me because everyone greek is Just now. Somewhere in there France became part of the Byzantine Empire.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the only time i ever put the game on 5x speed is during war and i always end up missing some notification during it that makes me regret it lol
but war... war is slow (said in war is hell voice)

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I'm finally King of Aquitane! :toot: Really glad I stuck it out after that little succession debacle, clawing back my land through treachery and holy wars was a blast. The game is good!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

My 13 year old second son just died of loving stress. God that saved me a messy succession. Thanks, kiddo!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Am I the only one with the issue that the AI starts factions at every succession no matter how much they like you? Even at +100 relationship they will start and/or join factions. First they do the "decrease crown authority" one and if you cave into that one they will immediately start/join a "install claimant on throne" faction and you have to fight them. Then they will start a "Gain Empire" faction if there is someone who can. It is insane, the only thing that works to get them out of a faction is to give them a title.

When I check the title history for all the other empires in the game it's just an endless list of "Installed by faction demand".

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
The AI is definitely very trigger-happy with factions right now, I had a new liege every 5-10 years while I was still a French vassal and I pretty much always have at least one faction menacing me for something or other.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Holy goddamn this sequence of events.

I die. Son inherits. Shieldmaker inspiration pops up, I sponsor it. The options are to dedicate it to nobody or Mael-Mide. Sure, why not dedicate it to the woman I love!

...My wife's name, I learn when the ADULTERER trait pops up, is not Mael-Mide. It was my lover, who I didn't realize I had because I just inherited.

Well, whatever, moving onward! Like a month passes and I can become a berserker! So I do!

I ripped apart everyone in my court. Everyone. I've never seen it do this before, just one person or nobody, but I killed every single person in my court. My wife. My lover. The guy making the shield. My nine year old son. EVERYONE.

oh god

Thank god my only other son was at the Varangian Guard. But he's gonna have a weird loving homecoming...

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Mother of Us All playthrough is going well. Just formed the Empire of Kanem-Boru as 3rd generation, and the 2nd generation reformed the faith. We're just about ready to start a couple centuries of holy wars to unify Africa. I'm really looking forward to Feudalizing soon so I can enjoy the actual Royal Court stuff!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just remember that for Mother of Us All you don't have to unify Africa, you just need to convert it to your faith. You can keep leaving old kingdoms run by your relatives behind as you keep pushing forward. This method helpfully generates an absolute gently caress load of renown as well.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I may be speaking too soon, but it seems like they’ve curtailed the byzantines. An alliance of Greek dukes are still a huge threat. But this game of forming RUM has been a slow trickle of holy wars whenever the emperor is busy with big civil wars. The emperor has been all over the place from like 12k to 2k manpower the whole game. I’ve been mostly soloing the wars whenever the empire is divided and I’ve really enjoyed loving up the evil eternal empire.

Well the blobbing in the previous patches was never because the Emperor was out conquering stuff, it was all the dukes gobbling up weak counties and then hiding behind the huge levy count of the Emperor.

The Roman Empire is indeed extremely weak this patch because the AI is so faction happy right now; outside of the first 25 years when the AI is hard-coded not to form Claimant Factions (which is just absolutely baffling in the Roman case), I don't think I've seen any Emperor survive more than 5 years on the throne.

Nothing about the Roman Empire makes any damned sense in this game. But hey you can appoint a Chief Eunuch now! Memes!

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 12, 2022

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I didn't know eunuchs were a meme, but that's still vastly preferable to the incest, eugenics, and Norse supersoldier memes they keep programming into the game

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So what do you guys do with excess artifacts? Just give em away to people you want to like you? I figure dumping off +renown stuff on my kinsmen would be a semi-smart move, while excess +prowess stuff would actually be great for my knights.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yashichi posted:

I didn't know eunuchs were a meme, but that's still vastly preferable to the incest, eugenics, and Norse supersoldier memes they keep programming into the game

I scoff at it because the idea of a Chief Eunuch is so obviously missing the point. The whole point of Eunuchs in the Roman administration was to slot somebody into the regular offices who couldn't possibly be a dynastic competitor.

They shouldn't be just random castrated nobodies either, many were from the elite and castrated young with their parents consent specifically so that they would have a in to the administration, it's always useful to have family members pulling for you at court after all.

Yet I get the sense whoever designed that just thought "hey the Byzantines had eunuchs right? Bam, chief eunuch, +Grandeur, next feature"

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 12, 2022

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

Am I the only one with the issue that the AI starts factions at every succession no matter how much they like you? Even at +100 relationship they will start and/or join factions. First they do the "decrease crown authority" one and if you cave into that one they will immediately start/join a "install claimant on throne" faction and you have to fight them. Then they will start a "Gain Empire" faction if there is someone who can. It is insane, the only thing that works to get them out of a faction is to give them a title.

When I check the title history for all the other empires in the game it's just an endless list of "Installed by faction demand".

Eldoop posted:

The AI is definitely very trigger-happy with factions right now, I had a new liege every 5-10 years while I was still a French vassal and I pretty much always have at least one faction menacing me for something or other.

I haven't play-tested the new patch long enough to really notice, but it seems there is a new game rule to adjust the frequency of factions.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Magil Zeal posted:

I haven't play-tested the new patch long enough to really notice, but it seems there is a new game rule to adjust the frequency of factions.

It's not the frequency that is the problem, for me, it is that they create and join factions despite being at +70 relationship. The way to stop them from joining factions is to have a high relationship with them, what else is the point of relationship? I just want to make it clear, every single vassal that can join a faction (not your ally or prohibited from joining a faction due to other reasons) will join a faction no matter if they like you or not. This is not how it is supposed to work.

As my empire grows larger it will get more and more impossible to keep it together since I will have bigger and bigger civil wars each succession. It's kind of game-breaking to be honest and I am getting really salty about it. As I said I checked the title history for the other AI empires and all of them have "installed by faction demand" as the most common succession since it is impossible to win a war that every single vassal joins no matter how powerful the rulers demesne is. Once you have had 1 of each type of faction created and defeated it will stop though so if you survive that initial onslaught you will be able to play without issue until your ruler dies.
It almost seems like there is some kind of issue where the game forces each type of faction to be created and once it has been done it stops. When old vassals die and get replaced the new ones never create or join factions.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

I finally got the decision to form RUM. I think it doesn't show up until you create some duchies in the anatolian (and probably pontus) kingdom while a turkish muslim.

Also, checkout how absolutely hosed the roman emperors have been all game.

On the one hand it owns bc I think this is fairly accurate to how the turks just kept taking bites out of their border with the romans and they just kept infighting. I am actually amazed none of the orthodox dukes have ever joined their fellow christians in defense during one of my many holy wars.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

PittTheElder posted:

I scoff at it because the idea of a Chief Eunuch is so obviously missing the point. The whole point of Eunuchs in the Roman administration was to slot somebody into the regular offices who couldn't possibly be a dynastic competitor.

They shouldn't be just random castrated nobodies either, many were from the elite and castrated young with their parents consent specifically so that they would have a in to the administration, it's always useful to have family members pulling for you at court after all.

i'd be pretty pissed at my parents tbh

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jose posted:

i'd be pretty pissed at my parents tbh

Well doubly so as castrating your children was illegal

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol if you make a custom character and set your prowess it goes from excellent at 68 to nice at 69 back to excellent at 70

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This was actually a really big pain in the rear end to get the right conditions before my realm split because my culture still had confederate partition, and getting the land and prestige back wouldve been another fuckin lifetime.

The real race was getting the cultural acceptance up before I died. Luckily, I won a kingdom war and promoted a shitload of greeks to get a bump.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Apparently the big brain move when ruling Ghana is always have your character have high prowess and just let your relatives take over when they make a faction. Then you challenge them, beat thier rear end, and return to your throne.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

(not mine, just thought it was funny)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Eldoop posted:

Oh hey whoops turns out I've been a fool and I do in fact have a great tool for getting back all that land: murder!

Murder: solving Crusader Kings problems since 2012

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Factions do seem buggy as anything, hopefully a patch appears soonish.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I enjoy the royal court: finally there is a decent gold sink, it's fun to collect stuff and handle the extra events.

As the son of Robert the Fox I hybridized culture to siculo-norman and consolidated the kingdom of Sicily, switching to a courtly ethos and scholarly court to try and become a shining beacon of culture; I am now spending all my gold chasing artifacts to pimp my court, an adventurer was exploring the lands of one of my vassals with whom I was warring to revoke a county at the time and the vassal put a beehive on my adventurer's head making him one-eyed, letting me make a revenge murder plan against him to make the adventurer happy and get a higher quality artifact.

End result the vassal gets imprisoned in battle, stripped of one county, murdered in jail and the adventurer brings me back the sword of Muhammad :getin:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This might be because of the mods I'm using (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2712590542 is the most likely one) but I'm noticing that the AI is much better at forming Empires. I'm playing in 867, and the Umayyads, West and East Francia, and Italy formed empires fairly quickly. Has anyone else encountered this?

(also easier to form next level titles in general. I was able to create the Kingdom of Sardinia with only one ducal title.)

Edit: also the Empires of Mali and Carpathia formed relatively early.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 12, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

On the one hand it owns bc I think this is fairly accurate to how the turks just kept taking bites out of their border with the romans and they just kept infighting. I am actually amazed none of the orthodox dukes have ever joined their fellow christians in defense during one of my many holy wars.

For the record this is not really what happened. While their entry into the Anatolian Plateau was more or less an invasion (by multiple unorganized groups), most of the cities and the lowland areas were not captured by Turkish raiders, but instead turned over to them by Roman governors in exchange for mercenary forces to fight the ongoing civil war.

Suleyman got where he did because he managed to establish connections with the Romans and establish himself as a muscle broker. Nikaea was straight up handed to him in exchange for mercenary support. The Romans assumed it would be easy to take the land back later.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

It's not the frequency that is the problem, for me, it is that they create and join factions despite being at +70 relationship. The way to stop them from joining factions is to have a high relationship with them, what else is the point of relationship? I just want to make it clear, every single vassal that can join a faction (not your ally or prohibited from joining a faction due to other reasons) will join a faction no matter if they like you or not. This is not how it is supposed to work.

As my empire grows larger it will get more and more impossible to keep it together since I will have bigger and bigger civil wars each succession. It's kind of game-breaking to be honest and I am getting really salty about it. As I said I checked the title history for the other AI empires and all of them have "installed by faction demand" as the most common succession since it is impossible to win a war that every single vassal joins no matter how powerful the rulers demesne is. Once you have had 1 of each type of faction created and defeated it will stop though so if you survive that initial onslaught you will be able to play without issue until your ruler dies.
It almost seems like there is some kind of issue where the game forces each type of faction to be created and once it has been done it stops. When old vassals die and get replaced the new ones never create or join factions.

Well, the game rule works by just flat-out making characters and counties less likely to join factions. Assuming the modifiers work and aren't busted in some way it should help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

As my empire grows larger it will get more and more impossible to keep it together since I will have bigger and bigger civil wars each succession.

How big is your empire? I've found it isn't actually that hard to keep an arbitrarily large Empire together, because the claimant/liberty wargoal will be your capital and you can play the interior lines game.

But if it is getting too big to handle, that is the point where you give half of it to your brother and make it his problem!