Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fuligin posted:

xenoblade 1's alright, wouldnt wish 2 on my worst posting enemies

I always wonder why people say this. Xenoblade one just isn’t a very good game. I like it but it’s flaws are so so much worse than anything 2 does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Snake Maze posted:

The specifics vary, but generally speaking: leveling up gets you better stats, skill points (sometimes earned from leveling, sometimes from sidequests and stuff) lets you improve your skills, and you can both get new gear with better stats, and slot gems into gear to get various bonuses. There's also normally a customizable set of passive skills to mess with.

Thank you, that helps. :)

I checked a couple wikis as well and it seems like there's a lot of layers to character customization and moving up along the power curve. Multiply that by however many characters you have in your party and it sounds like it's enough to keep busy.

Like, shulk seems to have around 10 armor "set types" over the course of the game, but each set also has quite a few different options for pieces in it, like in any given armor set type has an overall look/silhouette to it, but you have a handful of different glove choices per set, each of which looks mostly the same except for color palette changes, but each one has different stats. Kind of a cool system that lets you see at any given time about where you are on the power curve based on armor silhouette but still allowing for decent build variation within each tier.

10 armor sets actually doesn't seem like all that much but when you consider you have full parties to manage, along with skill trees, abilities, gems, and having to deal with all that per character, it starts to make a lot more sense.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

LOL in 2 years the Switch 2 is coming out and the purchases won't carry over and you'll just be buying Mario Kart all over again.

If they want $60 for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Ultimate Edition so that people can have all 80+ tracks baked into the game you and everyone else is going to shell out and don't try to pretend otherwise.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I put 130 hours into it, didn’t bother to do the ending, didn’t bother to do the DLC I paid for, and every minute I was like “I hate this gatchashit I hope whoever designed this gets beat up with a pool noodle” and “I liked this better when Tatsu was food”

Xenoblade 1 was good, though.

I cannot imagine putting 130 hours into a game that I was constantly miserable playing.

I put around 110 hours into Xenoblade 2 and mostly enjoyed it even though Tora and Tatsu should be made to fight to the death and the winner should then be fed to a volcano.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

CharlestheHammer posted:

I always wonder why people say this. Xenoblade one just isn’t a very good game. I like it but it’s flaws are so so much worse than anything 2 does

i mean i don't love the first, but i enjoyed the setting and exploring the environs on switch in handheld. 2 was way too 'anime' in the bad way and i hated the gacha pulls

for me the combat in both was p forgettable

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
My Oled Switch is now a Retro Bowl device only. I'm not proud of the time I've already dropped on that game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Could it be because no matter how much more mechanically sound it might be, Xenoblade 2’s overwhelmingly standout feature is that it's basically "Big Titty Bitches Pokemon" and it's a pathetic embarrassment you shouldn't be caught dead playing?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 11, 2022

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Xenoblade:

there's 9000 systems and none of them matter

you finally think you found armor for Sharla that's not ugly or embarrassing then you see her from behind

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

GreatGreen posted:

Could it be because no matter how much more mechanically sound it might be, Xenoblade 2 overwhelmingly standout feature is that it's basically "Big Titty Bitches Pokemon" and it's a pathetic embarrassment you shouldn't be caught dead playing?

The first has that to and one of them is a literal teenager.

Unless it’s the Pokémon you take issue with I guess
I

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

The first has that to and one of them is a literal teenager
I

and then there is XCX

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hate Xenoblade 2 with a passion, it is truly a god awful game, but then I love Xenoblade 1, and X to death. They are two of my favorite JRPGs ever. So I am extremely conflicted about XC3. I just hope it plays more like XC1. If it has the gacha mechanics in it, then i'll probably just not bother with it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wish they could somehow make the combat have a toggle between whatever the gently caress it is now and old school jrpg turn based

I realize that's a dumb ask and it's fine that not everything is for everybody

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I hope XC3 is good, but if it isn't there's already a mountain of jRPGs new and old for Switch that are only moderately embarrassing to play as opposed to extremely so it won't be a huge loss.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

XCX combat was awesome and I will die on this hill

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
xenoblade x had problems but was still rad. xenoblade 2 had problems but was still rad. i didn't finish xenoblade 1 but it still seemed pretty cool. apparently torna is super good? seems like xenoblade 3 has good odds of being rad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Torna is just a more refined version of XB2s combat. Which i think is because it uses a set party unlike the variable blades.

I’ve never heard anyone say anything bad about Tornas combat system so it looks pretty good for three. As each installment is just a refinement of each combat system

Except for X I guess

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
XCX had the best combat, exploration, character building, and sidequests. Not to mention what was clearly the best town theme music.

Edit: character building as in the gameplay-side of choosing what weapons/skills to use, not story stuff

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
maybe it was just my bias and i didn't watch the trailer closely enough but it felt like they were toning down some of the character design choices from xbc2

i hope the game's cool & good

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My two big memories of Chronicles were really enjoying the reveal that the little turnip man had a ton of kids, and turning the difficulty all the way down in the factory toward the end, still losing to the boss, and never playing it again.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Xenoblade 2 is better in Japanese since it plays out like an actual anime. with the same voice sound effects and all

IMHO this is just generally true of games made in Japan. Definitely was true of BotW.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Quantum of Phallus posted:

should mention I'm in the EU.

uh... mods??????

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Detective No. 27 posted:

Me too! This is my car's custom plate.

Big Zam!! Hot drat I love classic Gundam.

I've never played a Klanoa, looking forward to trying those.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Bloop posted:

I wish they could somehow make the combat have a toggle between whatever the gently caress it is now and old school jrpg turn based

I realize that's a dumb ask and it's fine that not everything is for everybody

You don't just toggle between real time and turn based combat and have it not turn into a giant mess, both the combat and the gameplay itself.

Snake Maze posted:

XCX had the best combat, exploration, character building, and sidequests. Not to mention what was clearly the best town theme music.

Edit: character building as in the gameplay-side of choosing what weapons/skills to use, not story stuff

Soul voice isn't the worst mechanic in XCX but it's certainly up there. The combat was just broken as hell too whether on foot or using skells. Though on foot was the more broken of the two in the actual game while World Tyrants made it very clear they gave zero fucks about how combat with more than 1 non-braindead skell pilot would go since every co-op fight was just the party taking turns locking it down while the other 3 hacked away at it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

You don't just toggle between real time and turn based combat and have it not turn into a giant mess, both the combat and the gameplay itself.

Oh i know it's an impossible ask

if it was "real time" like zelda or something that would be one thing, but it's not, it mostly feels like an extra-complicated QTE

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Evil Fluffy posted:

Worked for Yakuza 7?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lmao, Jon Cartwright rules. He just released a video about how he made a bullshit Twitter grifter Nintendo rumor account and how easy it is to manipulate people and game news outlets.

https://youtu.be/-nODZila7ME

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Enough about xenoblade in want them to bring back The Last Story so I can see if it was actually good.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

cohsae posted:

Enough about xenoblade in want them to bring back The Last Story so I can see if it was actually good.

It was just fine. Not great, good is probably the best and worst I can say about it. Interesting controls and battle system but very replacement level characters.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I simply would just not try to get KOS-MOS

Ah KOS, or some say KOS-MOS

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lmao, Jon Cartwright rules. He just released a video about how he made a bullshit Twitter grifter Nintendo rumor account and how easy it is to manipulate people and game news outlets.

https://youtu.be/-nODZila7ME
Quite possibly the first good YouTube video ever posted in this thread. Thanks for this.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

Big Zam!! Hot drat

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nintendo “insiders” YouTube people are the lowest form of pond scum on the earth.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
any nintendo news is true if you believe in it hard enough...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

except switch pro

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I only respect one inside source, uncles who work at Nintendo

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Astro7x posted:

I must be really mixed on the Paper Mario Games, but I keep trying them. I loved Super Mario RPG and Origami King, but hated Superstar Saga and Super Paper Mario. Super Paper Mario was the only game I ever sold when I was finished, because I knew I never wanted to play that game again.

Sometimes the games just go on like 10 hours more than they should, and the battle mechanics are so basic and easy to win fights that it bores me.

I've never played Paper Mario on the N64 and wondering if it's worth trying

wait, so you never played paper mario OR ttyd? yeah the later paper mario games are a lot different. 64 is absolutely worth trying, no question.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

any nintendo news is true if you believe in it hard enough...

The Immutable Aspect of The Uncle

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Quantum of Phallus posted:

except switch pro

no one truly believed, that's why it never happened.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
after that game where mario and sonic kiss i'll believe anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

b_d posted:

no one truly believed, that's why it never happened.

the YouTube morons believed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

they don't count as people.