Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Lost Ark - Lol and Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's more like withholding an addict's next fix because you know it will make them more desperate to get it

The deploy branch is the branch that is about to get rolled out to the public, it has (in theory) been spot-checked by everyone who worked on it, the commits (changes) in it are known to be good and working, it has been through QA and it can be expected to 'work'. Someone making last minute changes to it means that they're sticking code that hasn't been reviewed into it and there's all kinds of potential for that to cause problems with other changes - it hasn't been through QA in the context of the full deploy

It's like if you went to Burger King and ordered a whopper and the employee making it decided to make their own last-minute changes to the Whopper recipe

Lmaooooo thanks for the writeup its even tastier than I Imagined

arbybaconator posted:

Lost Ark - Lol and Lmao

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

arbybaconator posted:

Lost Ark - Lol and Lmao

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

:blastu:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

arbybaconator posted:

Lost Ark - Lol and Lmao

this wasn't suppose to be Amazon's new lol and lmao :cripes:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This entire time I thought this was just a meme lol. Turns out it was real.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

happy actual launch day

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

little bobby tables

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Can you elaborate on why you wouldn't do that in software dev or what the repercussions are? Also I tried to upload it to imgur but it wouldn't let me with that image for some reason? Whats wrong with hotlinking

Well, hotlinking, back in the days of Aughts internet, back when bandwidth was limited, was generally looked down upon, and I think the forums had a policy against direct hotlinking for a good while. Not sure if it is hard and fast now

Also:

The deploy branch is the branch that is about to get rolled out to the public, it has (in theory) been spot-checked by everyone who worked on it, the commits (changes) in it are known to be good and working, it has been through QA and it can be expected to 'work'. Someone making last minute changes to it means that they're sticking code that hasn't been reviewed into it and there's all kinds of potential for that to cause problems with other changes - it hasn't been through QA in the context of the full deploy

It's like if you went to Burger King and ordered a whopper and the employee making it decided to make their own last-minute changes to the Whopper recipe

This basically. I will also add that weird and unforeseen problems can and will happen. A small change on a UI element could cause systems to fail, depending on how it was coded.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 11, 2022

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
https://twitter.com/playlostark/status/1492267186185900033

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
They can accidentally delete my old characters but in exchange they have to release scouter

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
lost ark more like lost characters lmao

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Good Citizen posted:

lost ark more like lost characters lmao
more like lost time

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBRREj1CLpQ&t=49s

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

lol

HungryHungryHobo
Jan 4, 2020
Really thinking I need to make some room on my SSD.

Game takes like 4 mins from starting to actually getting into the splash screen which was fine when I didn't have to restart the client constantly to see if I could play.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

even on an SSD on a fast computer it takes forever

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

HungryHungryHobo posted:

Game takes like 4 mins from starting to actually getting into the splash screen which was fine when I didn't have to restart the client constantly to see if I could play.

I've got a speedy m.2 and have the same issue

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Does US west vs US east actually make any sort of difference these days? I live on the west coast but seems goons are playing east and you need to be in region to group?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

I said come in! posted:

lol everyones characters were deleted

That's one way to solve the server congestion problem. The sunk cost fallacy no longer applies, and now all friends, families, and communities can play on the servers that they want to play on, together.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

They can accidentally delete my old characters but in exchange they have to release scouter

Yo that class looks amazing I'm ok with this

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ultrachrist posted:

Does US west vs US east actually make any sort of difference these days? I live on the west coast but seems goons are playing east and you need to be in region to group?

Yeah I'm on west coast and I'm playing US East since that tends to have the higher US pop in most games. You can only play with people in the same region and I haven't noticed any bad lag yet

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

HungryHungryHobo posted:

It takes forever on SSD too, but not quite that long.

For my last twitch comment, there are 900,000 people watching Lost Ark related content right now, which is basically like live streaming the Titanic sinking.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

arbybaconator posted:

Lost Ark - Lol and Lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/playlostark/status/1492270765873381382

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
was there, like, actual doubt internally about this?

e: ^

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kliras posted:

I'm leaning towards yes based on their responses earlier lol.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

ultrachrist posted:

I'm in Austin, and it's about a ~40ms ping difference between west and east (east being faster), give or take.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I wonder what they would have given us if they seriously deleted all characters...

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

sharknado slashfic posted:

It takes forever on SSD too, but not quite that long.

For my last twitch comment, there are 900,000 people watching Lost Ark related content right now, which is basically like live streaming the Titanic sinking.

I suspect easy anti cheat is a big contributor.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
game's going to be delayed by like 12 hours, but it probably took off 12 years of the staff's lives

not sure whether i'd rather have to make direct database queries or be in charge of the twitter account

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

kliras posted:

e: ^

I doubt it but you don't want to put a post out that says "all your characters exist still" and then later go "um, actually..."

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zokari posted:

I wonder what they would have given us if they seriously deleted all characters...

A 30-day subscription to Amazon Prime

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

Zokari posted:

premium New World skins!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

A 30-day subscription to Amazon Prime

Signed DVD copies of the new Jack Reacher series

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's very funny to watch the streamers sponsored and partnered to play the game sit and vamp while the servers are down, if nothing else

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/LOST%20ARK?tl=c2542d6d-cd10-4532-919b-3d19f30a768b

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zokari posted:

The clean up and PR required to fix that would be nuts.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

And the database and server stuff is the only bit Amazon is directly responsible for huh? Funny how that's the bit loving up.

I wonder if smilegate managed to get good failure to deliver adequate services clauses in their contract with Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
This kicks rear end