Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

actionjackson posted:

I mean yeah, but there's going to be some major sticker shock with USM Haller

It’s the right idea, but at that price range I’ll probably call up the carpenter that did our built-ins on the other side of the room.

Thanks all for the confirmation that it’s not a common piece of furniture, and thanks for the ideas. It’s not a big rush, so I’ll let the space settle in a bit more and reevaluate in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
How do you guys handle displaying collectibles/decorative items in your homes? It's a question that's been bugging me as I've been decluttering my stuff too. I'm slightly afraid of having too many knicknack level things in any future house of mine, or that I'll just be left with a core group of very disparate and jumbled items shoehorned on a shelf somewhere.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

How do you guys handle displaying collectibles/decorative items in your homes? It's a question that's been bugging me as I've been decluttering my stuff too. I'm slightly afraid of having too many knicknack level things in any future house of mine, or that I'll just be left with a core group of very disparate and jumbled items shoehorned on a shelf somewhere.

Is it artwork or are we talking about video game memorabilia and fake Star Trek props?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Turbinosamente posted:

I don't collect anything nor have anything decorative, but I think the same process as I mentioned a few posts ago, first declutter (sounds like you have already done that), then make sure you want them displayed vs. in some sort of storage unit. If you want to display them, a bookcase or a storage unit with glass doors to avoid dust is a decent idea. you could also intersperse the items with other things like books instead of just having one cluster, or maybe rotate what is on display at any given time

It's also a good idea to just understand what you want to get out of collecting or displaying things. I vaguely remember when my grandfather passed away, when we cleaned his house he had a wall of old beer cans on display for (????)

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

Is it artwork or are we talking about video game memorabilia and fake Star Trek props?

Both, though I'm primarily concerned about the overt nerd poo poo. I've got things ranging from paperweights, plushies, other glassware, to anime figures, a pair of kokeshi dolls, a replica pokeball, and a 1930s box camera. I've tried having some boxed Kirby games on display but I didn't really like the look and packed them back into the closet. And I've definitely decided against the wall of shelved manga/video games look seen in so many youtube video backgrounds, so it'd likely be cabinets or other closed storage for that.

actionjackson posted:

I don't collect anything nor have anything decorative, but I think the same process as I mentioned a few posts ago, first declutter (sounds like you have already done that), then make sure you want them displayed vs. in some sort of storage unit. If you want to display them, a bookcase or a storage unit with glass doors to avoid dust is a decent idea. you could also intersperse the items with other things like books instead of just having one cluster, or maybe rotate what is on display at any given time

It's also a good idea to just understand what you want to get out of collecting or displaying things. I vaguely remember when my grandfather passed away, when we cleaned his house he had a wall of old beer cans on display for (????)

This perspective definitely helps, thanks! It's good to have an outside reminder that much of my collecting is not focused enough: I have a tendency to buy things that look cool in a given moment. I'm betting that's why I have such a wide range of things, and why I'm having such trouble with objects I've grown lukewarm about.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sounds like impulse buying. my best recommendation for this is if you seem something again like this and you feel like you just have to buy it, take a picture, and write a note to reevaluate it again in a month. If in a month you still really want to get it, go ahead. you could also consider that if you buy such an item, you also get rid of an item in your home as to not increase the total amount of "stuff" you have.

another thing is reducing exposure to the products in the first place - avoid stores (or areas of store) that sell them, don't casually browse items online, if you are getting things like catalogs, unsubscribe from them. it's amazing how seductive marketing can be. after I had gotten a specific type of furniture, I just stopped looking at other similar items as much as possible. i like my table, so looking at that loving saarinen table is not going to bring me any benefit (hmm maybe i should change my avatar :p).

as for the stuff packed in the closet, is it something you utilize often, or does it just gather dust? getting rid of stuff is hard, but you may also find that the act of giving or selling to someone who will make more use of it may bring you some satisfaction as well.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 11, 2022

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

I have a small apartment. I display most of my decorative things on a large shelving unit that is also my entertainment center. Not the most flattering pic at this time of night but here's one shelf of out of 10.

I've mostly decluttered the past year so here are a few things I discovered through trial and error that worked for me:
- i don't choose to use up every available inch with items because i want some negative space and emphasis to be directed at the things i do decide to keep on display, which helps me appreciate them.
- i don't place objects in front of other objects. that makes me feel claustrophobic
- i stay mindful of the scale of things. larger items are displayed in areas that are farther away from areas where i spend my time. smaller items are displayed on an nightstand or desk where i tend to be closer to them. i really don't like when tiny items are swallowed up by a large piece of furniture or in the corner of a room.
- having some things in storage and rotating your art/whatever occasionally is ok! that really helped me to find a good balance after a while.

for dedicated collectors there are other ways of taking a more maximalist approach to things, like maybe having a single shelving unit that's dedicated to the collection and cramming it full of everything in that collection, and not trying to spread it out over your entire living space. but anyway the list above is what works for me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Both, though I'm primarily concerned about the overt nerd poo poo. I've got things ranging from paperweights, plushies, other glassware, to anime figures, a pair of kokeshi dolls, a replica pokeball, and a 1930s box camera. I've tried having some boxed Kirby games on display but I didn't really like the look and packed them back into the closet. And I've definitely decided against the wall of shelved manga/video games look seen in so many youtube video backgrounds, so it'd likely be cabinets or other closed storage for that.

This perspective definitely helps, thanks! It's good to have an outside reminder that much of my collecting is not focused enough: I have a tendency to buy things that look cool in a given moment. I'm betting that's why I have such a wide range of things, and why I'm having such trouble with objects I've grown lukewarm about.

Sell it all on eBay and buy one thing with the money

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Turbinosamente posted:

I try to limit my collecting to categories of things that are beautiful, unusual, and/or functional, preferably all three, which means that most of the more functional things (silver platters, impression glass bowls, etc) stay put away to avoid it getting dusty/tarnished.

My husband and I do have a mega nerdy side, so we've reserved our TV den as our nerdy place where we can have our electronics, video games, and some video game figurines), which means we avoid collectible clutter in the living room entirely. Even so, at the moment we only have like three things out. That's another important thing - curate and rotate your collections. I've always hated the look of shelves upon shelves of dusty injection molded trinkets - a handful of your favorite/most interesting or special items out on display makes for a much more interesting visual and a good conversation starter and also look way better than uncontrolled nerdery.

As for artwork, buy what you like but be super discerning when selecting pieces but still, ultimately buy what you like. Also if you can swing it, get it professionally framed. It makes displaying much easier and makes a space so much more polished-feeling.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Believe me I keep going over all the decluttering tips online repeatedly to stay motivated and have cut out most of my fun spending as having the bigger goal of buying a house in the near future has finally been the thing to motivate me to budget. It's only in the past couple of years that I've come to realize the value of a curated collection, that I do not have time to play all the video games and watch all the movies, and that speculator mentality on collectibles is dangerous and wrong. The crux of the issue is I feel that I am inadequate at decluttering because:

BigFactory posted:

Sell it all on eBay and buy one thing with the money

I cannot do this. I can not sell everything cold turkey and start fresh. I've thought about it a ton, sure, but then I've thought about everything I've rebought because I was too hasty in getting rid of it in the first time. I do get rid of things and have gotten serious about it this year but its a steady trickle of stuff leaving the house not the massive hauls of 6+ bags to goodwill. I know you shouldn't compare yourself to others, but it feels wrong when it takes you two years to go from 600 video games to 200 and counting.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Believe me I keep going over all the decluttering tips online repeatedly to stay motivated and have cut out most of my fun spending as having the bigger goal of buying a house in the near future has finally been the thing to motivate me to budget. It's only in the past couple of years that I've come to realize the value of a curated collection, that I do not have time to play all the video games and watch all the movies, and that speculator mentality on collectibles is dangerous and wrong. The crux of the issue is I feel that I am inadequate at decluttering because:

I cannot do this. I can not sell everything cold turkey and start fresh. I've thought about it a ton, sure, but then I've thought about everything I've rebought because I was too hasty in getting rid of it in the first time. I do get rid of things and have gotten serious about it this year but its a steady trickle of stuff leaving the house not the massive hauls of 6+ bags to goodwill. I know you shouldn't compare yourself to others, but it feels wrong when it takes you two years to go from 600 video games to 200 and counting.

I’m always a supporter of having as many or as few possessions as anyone wants. As long as the collection is properly cared for and isn’t a hazard to the owner. If anyone wants to spend their time archiving, maintaining, repairing, photographing, backing up, etc. their collection, then that’s totally cool — as long as they’re not letting their things rot in a damp basement to eventually become landfill. I think there are practical ways to live with large or small collections.

Honestly going from 600 to 200 video games within two years sounds like an accomplishment to me. I’m on year two of paring down a collection of several hundred pieces of vintage clothing, housewares, and furniture. It can take a while if you want decent prices for your things.

If there are things you want to keep and want to sell, it helped me to separate them. I have a dedicated closet that is full of items that will be sold. Everything else that I plan to keep and incorporate into my life somehow is displayed or stored separately.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
If how you're doing it works for you and is sustainable, just keep chugging along. There are some here who have a near religious fervor for minimalism, but instant minimalism really only works if you have the cash to spend on rebuying stuff at will. Throwing it all out to start over isn't something you can do on a tight budget.

If you're getting a handle on the impulse purchasing, you're halfway there and it will get easier in the future since you won't have to think about it you really wanted it forever or just thought it was cool and then have to deal with the feelings of shame for "wasting money".

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

I cannot do this.

Not with that attitude!

Hutla posted:

If how you're doing it works for you and is sustainable, just keep chugging along. There are some here who have a near religious fervor for minimalism, but instant minimalism really only works if you have the cash to spend on rebuying stuff at will. Throwing it all out to start over isn't something you can do on a tight budget.

If he has valuable stuff it would be silly to throw it out. But selling a bunch of stuff to buy a few much nicer things is a form of collecting too. Turn a bunch of
C’s into a B, then turn some Bs into an A. Pretty soon you’ve got a Rembrandt in your bathroom. Sky’s the limit!

Getting rid of stuff just to buy it again doesn’t really sound like minimalism to me, either. Sounds like poor planning

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 11, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hutla posted:

There are some here who have a near religious fervor for minimalism, but instant minimalism really only works if you have the cash to spend on rebuying stuff at will. Throwing it all out to start over isn't something you can do on a tight budget.

I will say this is definitely true, and is why the people promoting minimalism are typically pretty well off. I will say that of the 100+ items I've gotten rid of, there's only been one or two that I found I needed again. But also once I start doing something, I tend to really get into it and do it to completion - it's just a constant dopamine hit

I do think the minimalism aspect of reducing future consumption and avoiding impulse buying is a great idea for everyone though, regardless of economic circumstances.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The budget's tighter now only because I'm staring down a large purchase, and I'm sick of wasting money in general. The other reason I'm keeping a steady trickle of items going out is I don't want them sitting around long enough for me to have second thoughts, nor do I want it sitting around because I can "totally sell" it at some point in the future. I have a coworker who has bins and bins of poo poo at his house because his girlfriend insists she's going to have a garage sale. This has been going on for like 4 years, and once again this year she's been talking like this will finally be the year that she does it. I'm not holding my breath on it.

I've been selling poo poo locally at the moment at a loss because it gets it gone and I get something back. I don't have to devote the time to photographing, description writing, packing, and post office runs like you do with ebay, I did all that for a few years and it was starting to get tiresome. Nor do I have to worry as much about hitting the new tax limit by selling online this year or trust ebay with my SSN (maybe I'm just being a paranoid bitch on that last point). What's really helped with accepting the "loss" is an idea I ran across on one of the endless decluttering tips articles: it's the thought that the money was wasted the moment I bought the item and is gone already. At any rate I did just come back from selling some more media to local shops and am perfectly satisfied with the $200 I got.

Though I did gently caress up attempting to flog 90% of my camera collection in SA mart; I guess there aren't as many goons interested in vintage cameras as I thought. Next week I'll try one of the "looking to buy x" guys on craigslist and if they don't take 'em they're just going to goodwill, I am done.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Turbinosamente posted:

Though I did gently caress up attempting to flog 90% of my camera collection in SA mart; I guess there aren't as many goons interested in vintage cameras as I thought.

Did you try this thread?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

No, no I did not. Thanks!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pretty much anything you resell is going to be at a sizable loss with some rare exceptions. I think out of all the things I got rid of, almost all of them were for free, and from the few that I managed to sell, the only "big" sale was 300 for a dining table and four chairs.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

actionjackson posted:

pretty much anything you resell is going to be at a sizable loss with some rare exceptions. I think out of all the things I got rid of, almost all of them were for free, and from the few that I managed to sell, the only "big" sale was 300 for a dining table and four chairs.

Depends on what it is. If they’ve got a collection of video game stuff to sell, some of that goes for tons of money and moves fast on eBay (and is easy to ship). If it’s garbage nobody wants then it’s not going to sell fast.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Turbinosamente posted:

have a coworker who has bins and bins of poo poo at his house because his girlfriend insists she's going to have a garage sale. This has been going on for like 4 years, and once again this year she's been talking like this will finally be the year that she does it.

These are the worst garage sales anyway, where things are marked up above retail vs the "everything must go" price when you just want to purge stuff.

No one will buy her dollar store merch marked up a few bucks, your friend is screwed with a hoarder.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Depends on what it is. If they’ve got a collection of video game stuff to sell, some of that goes for tons of money and moves fast on eBay (and is easy to ship). If it’s garbage nobody wants then it’s not going to sell fast.

yeah i meant to imply with some exceptions, but in the scope of all the things you could have in your home to get rid of, a very small percentage will be in this category

definitely if you have something that is more rare and in high demand then don't give it away!

falz posted:

These are the worst garage sales anyway, where things are marked up above retail vs the "everything must go" price when you just want to purge stuff.

No one will buy her dollar store merch marked up a few bucks, your friend is screwed with a hoarder.

don't forget about the people who spend each weekend looking for garage sales, as if it's a sporting event, to just add more and more poo poo to their home

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

actionjackson posted:

yeah i meant to imply with some exceptions, but in the scope of all the things you could have in your home to get rid of, a very small percentage will be in this category

definitely if you have something that is more rare and in high demand then don't give it away!

don't forget about the people who spend each weekend looking for garage sales, as if it's a sporting event, to just add more and more poo poo to their home

This is very anecdotal but I have heard that all the stuff in your house is worth roughly 5k on the average, and some of that depends if you have a big ticket item like a car or riding lawnmower. It came through the grapevine from an owner/operator of an estate sale company, I believe some friend of ours was looking into having a sale after their mother died. I'm not suprised at the figure tbh.

And most of the hot games I had I sold already on ebay/the forums. The retro game market is something I know fairly well after a decade of collecting and some poo poo is a hard sell even there, and that's most of what's left outside of the poo poo I refuse to part with yet. Ain't nobody buying Atari, Vectrex, or obscure Japanese games. There is an upside: if you told me like five years ago that I'd be selling my precious childhood games I wouldn't have believed you and swore I was never gonna sell them.

Also yes coworker's girlfriend is an odd duck in general. I don't think it's quite hoarding I think it's that she's someone who thinks all her junk is ~*valuable*~ and won't let it go for less. I've known other people like that and they tend to sit on the stuff because no one will give them the price they want. Or they're feeling charitable and give it/will it to you thinking they're doing you a favor. I've been gifted many things from relatives who impressed into kid me that the item was oh so valuable and to take care of it. Years later the few of these items that have hung around weren't worth jack poo poo: I think they just wanted young me to appreciate it or not destroy it.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

falz posted:

I have a friend who not only hoards stacks of stuff for a garage sale that will never happen, but also trawls thrift stores daily for random crap to add to the pile because "nobody stops at a garage sale where the tables are picked-over, you have to salt them in order to lure buyers to the good stuff."

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I think every garage sale I've ever had is to purge poo poo, and everything that doesn't sell goes to St Vinnys. Feels good man.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Turbinosamente posted:

Also yes coworker's girlfriend is an odd duck in general. I don't think it's quite hoarding I think it's that she's someone who thinks all her junk is ~*valuable*~ and won't let it go for less. I've known other people like that and they tend to sit on the stuff because no one will give them the price they want. Or they're feeling charitable and give it/will it to you thinking they're doing you a favor. I've been gifted many things from relatives who impressed into kid me that the item was oh so valuable and to take care of it. Years later the few of these items that have hung around weren't worth jack poo poo: I think they just wanted young me to appreciate it or not destroy it.

My SO has a relative with a storage locker full of Beanie Babies that they’re sure are going to be worth something someday. Imagine paying a fee every month for that :psyduck: Some people just can’t accept that the trinkets they bought were a bad “investment”.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Got a room with white walls, pale wood floors and medium-brown furniture (specifically) desk. I was meaning to put another desk alongside it (small gap, they have different purposes) and was looking at this much darker one:
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/micke-desk-black-brown-20244747/

I'm concerned the browns will look too odd next to each other. (My other furniture are all slightly mismatched brown levels, but I think I get away with it when they're not side by side or as stark?)

Alternative is to get the white version of the desk which might blend in with my white walls and skirting boards a little neater. (But will be covered with black/grey tech stuff, and so won't exactly be invisible).

Any thoughts?

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 12, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Turbinosamente posted:

Also yes coworker's girlfriend is an odd duck in general. I don't think it's quite hoarding I think it's that she's someone who thinks all her junk is ~*valuable*~ and won't let it go for less.
That's one of the standard forms hoarding takes, though. There are a lot of people out there hoarding so-called "collectibles", for instance.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I may be on the verge of building a house and the interior design portion is both terrifying and exciting. I have zero eye for it and I don't even know what I like. I've taken too many "what's your interior style" and I get a different result each time. The few construction models I've walked thru are all so GREY and lifeless, especially kitchens. I went to the grocery store and browsed the magazines too but they were all specific to "Cottage Life" or "Rustic Farm Rooms" or whatever. I'm going to need ideas or ideally a ~*vision*~ but I need to start somewhere. Are there good websites for determining style and then provide lots of examples? I'm pretty practical and have kids so a combination of form and function is what I'm aiming for.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I was in a similar spot a couple years ago, and our very own Youth Decay's thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955939) has been the most helpful resource I've found. The word-of-the-day posts of real peoples' houses is so much more useful than what I was finding on my own.

I'll never be an expert but at least now I know basic terminology and can ballpark what style something is.

And yeah gently caress the gray and white lifeless style, its soul sucking and a lazy way out for designers.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

One other question: my family size has outpaced my ability to find additional matching side chairs for our dining furniture. The chairs were bought used but are good and sturdy and I don’t want to get rid of them. However, Stickley discontinued the style in 2002 and there aren’t any for sale right now that I can find through used furniture/auction sites.

I’d like to buy two side chairs, but it would drive me crazy to get two similar but different windsor chairs and call it a day. I was thinking I could get some high quality stackable matte black resin chairs to use as guest chairs after I find some from the original set.

Any suggestions on something that might fit the bill but blend well enough? I’d like to keep it under $200/per, and with wipeable materials only.

I was looking at these, but don’t feel confident in picking something that doesn’t match what we have:

(This is my favorite, but I’m concerned the armchair shape might look weird next to a side chair that pushes all the way in)
https://www.dwr.com/outdoor-dining-chairs/sustainable-woody-armchair/

https://www.perigold.com/Calligaris--Skin-Stackable-Chair-CS1391-L47-K~GN2046.html

https://www.dwr.com/outdoor-dining-chairs/1%22-reclaimed-chair/2515282.html?lang=en_US

The room as it is:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phanatic posted:

Goons please help me out with my lovely kitchen situation (I mean, it is a lovely kitchen, not a lovely situation which involves a kitchen).

First, pictures. It's small, the sink is terribly located (and terrible, the rim sits above counter-level so you can't just sweep stuff into it), I don't have enough counter space, and when I moved in it was all IKEA-grade or worse. I've replaced the stove, fridge, and range hood with decent stuff but the cabinets are falling apart, the steam from the dishwasher is starting to disintegrate the overhanging MDF countertop, and the floor is the thinnest of vinyl.

Asked this a few months ago and everyone here who responded was unanimous: "Move the stove."

I listened. Good advice. Had to knock through out into the enclosed porch and run a soffit over to the exterior wall to route the exhaust, but all in all the new kitchen is pretty exactly what I wanted. Waaaaaaay more loving space to move around and cook things in. Thanks goons. Just need to repaint the rest of the space now and put in a ceiling light.

And adjust those pendants to the same height. Dammit.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
That is a gorgeous kitchen, I love it!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BadSamaritan posted:

The room as it is:

first link isn't working for me, the other dwr link for the emeco - that would look terrible. plastic chairs can definitely work, but not something that is wood (or wood look). it will just look tacky and weird. it would be okay if you had more of a laminate surface. i.e. I have

https://www.dwr.com/kitchen-dining-chairs-benches/bertoia-molded-shell-side-chair/2195978.html?lang=en_US (blue shell)

with

https://www.magisdesign.com/product/first-table/

I would get something that is either wood (or looks like wood) or something with fabric possibly.

these might work if you want something at a similar low price point

https://www.dwr.com/kitchen-dining-chairs-benches/salt-chair/4541.html?lang=en_US

the coral orange might work with your paint, not sure. otherwise white would go well with your trim

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Asked this a few months ago and everyone here who responded was unanimous: "Move the stove."

I listened. Good advice. Had to knock through out into the enclosed porch and run a soffit over to the exterior wall to route the exhaust, but all in all the new kitchen is pretty exactly what I wanted. Waaaaaaay more loving space to move around and cook things in. Thanks goons. Just need to repaint the rest of the space now and put in a ceiling light.

And adjust those pendants to the same height. Dammit.

Omg congratulations, this is huge!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I had to do a double take to be sure it was the same kitchen. Nicely done.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BadSamaritan posted:

One other question: my family size has outpaced my ability to find additional matching side chairs for our dining furniture. The chairs were bought used but are good and sturdy and I don’t want to get rid of them. However, Stickley discontinued the style in 2002 and there aren’t any for sale right now that I can find through used furniture/auction sites.

I’d like to buy two side chairs, but it would drive me crazy to get two similar but different windsor chairs and call it a day.

The room as it is:

Take a side step. It is (was?) common for dining sets to have different chairs at the head and foot of the table. Usually these were distinguished by having arms, but your whole set has arms so that won't work. Pick two Windsor chairs that look more elegant/formal than the rest, put them at the head and foot.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Take a side step. It is (was?) common for dining sets to have different chairs at the head and foot of the table. Usually these were distinguished by having arms, but your whole set has arms so that won't work. Pick two Windsor chairs that look more elegant/formal than the rest, put them at the head and foot.

Our current set unfortunately has two arm chairs and two armless side chairs. I’m searching for two more side chairs and am a little flummoxed because the usual ‘put the different chairs at head/foot of table’ doesn’t work as nicely.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

I don't even know how this is the same kitchen. Amazing job!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Looks great, surprised it could get done so quickly.

Which way do the joists run in the ceiling? If they're left to right (following your on-ceiling wiring) its not that hard to move the wiring and patch old holes. Allegedly these may be legal to leave instead of a junction box:

* https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035LKG6Y/

But if you did want to leave the old hole, you can get blank covers that you can paint with your ceiling and you probably won't see, and the wires will still be out of sight.

If the joists run the other way... uhmm yeah lots of drywall repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

I wanted to do ceiling to floor, wall to wall, white light linen/cotton curtains on rails, but this radiator makes that somewhat more difficult. It's a warm water one, so it does not get dangerously hot, but at best it would sit on the room side of the curtain. Not sure I could get them to fall right with that little room to work with either.

What do you think? Should I be looking at blinds or something instead? The windows, do not seem to be standard sizes but what do I know, also there's that balcony door...