Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

marshmallow creep posted:

I need to go back and finish Deathloop

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

credburn posted:

Ha! That's right, I did that!

You get an achievement for doing it too. Also the game will allow you to steal your brother’s escape pod and just nope the gently caress out at the first opportunity which results in a pretty funny non-standard “game over”

I wanted to love Deathloop so much. The game oozes atmosphere and charisma but the game itself is kinda “whatever”. It was also WAY too short and lacking in content for the $70 or whatever it was I paid for it at launch.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Feb 12, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm glad I've finally got around to playing The Force Unleashed on 360 because the bosses are a lot of fun, although hard. The second boss in the scrapyard owned, I liked his gimmick with mechanical force constructs and his little mechanical spiderlegs that gave him more mobility. It was like I was fighting Invader Zim but with psychic powers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A friend of mine's just reached the endgame of Subnautica and I've been enjoying it by proxy, reminds me of the characterisation they put into things like canned animations and gestures in the game. When getting around bases and the big submarine, the protagonist moves quickly, obviously to interrupt gameplay the least, but also because they're likely doing so with a justified sense of urgency as what they're doing is a matter of life and death. In contrast, when going about the Neptune rocket that is their escape from being stranded on a distant planet, their movements with climbing ladders to get aboard and move between areas are slower, more deliberate. Both to emphasise the drama and show off the construction of the rocket, and also show that they're more sombre, or relaxed, in an environment that's ready to take them home... or maybe even reluctant to leave, depending on your interpretation.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I bought Ace Combat 7 on a whim for like 7 bucks on ebay because I used to love the old ones. The game has a startling amount of DLC though. Anyone know if any of it is actually worthwhile?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Arkham Knight just looks SO GOOD

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

I bought Ace Combat 7 on a whim for like 7 bucks on ebay because I used to love the old ones. The game has a startling amount of DLC though. Anyone know if any of it is actually worthwhile?

Do you like 12 year old anime characters on your murder machine? If so then yes

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It may be my least favourite of the four main-line Arkham games (I just have a soft spot for Origins), but Arkham Knight still looks really good for an almost 10 year old game.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

TontoCorazon posted:

Do you like 12 year old anime characters on your murder machine?

No

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Frank Frank posted:

The ADDM special weapon on the Nosferatu kicks rear end and will completely trivialize certain ace encounters, so at least for that plane the 'Original Aircraft Series' set is worth it if you can get it inexpensively. I don't think any of the other DLC planes are that great with the exception of the FB-22 Strike Raptor which has some really good special weapon options and is part of the 'Experimental Aircraft Series' set. If I was only going to get one plane set I'd go with the FB-22.
Otherwise the ADF-11F Raven has a cool gimmick where the standard gun is replaced by PLSL if you like those. The SU-57's PLSL is stronger when upgraded, but if you want to use lasers early it's a fair option. The 3 DLC missions were fun and it's probably cheaper getting those via the season pass DLC.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Lol, wanted to chill a bit after level 4 of Star Wars The Force Unleashed was kicking my rear end and so I picked up a couple of random wii games. Scooby Doo: First Fright is quite cute if simple, has some amusing minor secrets and cute trophies to unlock based off of playing well rather than grinding. LIke the secrets are mostly for getting more scooby snacks so you can buy costumes, but they are charming, like in level 1 you get some bonus scooby snacks by running around the whole baseball diamond and getting back to home plate.

An aesthetic thing I also like is that the different levels of enemies have more health based on how complex their costumes are, like the basic guys who die in one hit are cheap blacksuits with skeletons painted on so a classic cheap halloween costume, the next hardest enemies that take longer have better AI and generally are a mild threat are more convincing, with glowy auras and translucency effects, then the miniboss at the end of the level involves fighting 6 witches who fly around the room so have that as a special effect, but they can only fly in a set circuit so are easily intercepted.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

TontoCorazon posted:

Do you like 12 year old anime characters on your murder machine? If so then yes

no that was ace combat 6, you absolute FOOL

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Someone needs to go dance with the angels.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Frank Frank posted:

The three mission packs? Absolutely, yes, totally worth it. It's some of the best content the franchise has ever done.

The plane DLCs? Probably, especially if you like loving around in the super planes from the previous games. The most recent DLC pack is bullshit though, that's "Cutting Edge Aircraft" one. It's just a bunch of barely noticeable stat hacks for three planes that are already on the roster disguised as new planes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that is kind of fun about Far Cry 6 are the "resolver" items. They're weapons and attachments for guns that are made up of improvised parts. Like a resolver silencer is a bottle taped to the barrel of your gun or resolver red dot sight uses a laser pointer.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

muscles like this! posted:

One thing that is kind of fun about Far Cry 6 are the "resolver" items. They're weapons and attachments for guns that are made up of improvised parts. Like a resolver silencer is a bottle taped to the barrel of your gun or resolver red dot sight uses a laser pointer.

I like that design aesthetic, but the unexpected side effect was that I avoided buying silenced weapons for way too long. Like, it's a soda bottle jammed on there, I figured it was gonna be the kind where you're constantly having to recraft them because they break after ten shots, rather than just getting varying levels of cooldown depending on what level you buy.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I've been playing a lot of Pokemon Legends: Arceus and I like the way it handles mounts.

You get five of them, two land, one water, one that let's you climb BOTW style and one that lets you glide BOTW style.
At first I was worried that switching between them would be a chore and you would have to constantly mount and dismount while travelling.

But swapping is easy, if you simply use the D-pad to highlight a different mount, you'll switch too it after about a second.
You also get a prompt too switch to the climbing one when you press up against a climbable surface and a prompt to switch too the gliding one when you're in the air.

You'll also automatically switch to the swimming mount when you leap into the water while mounted, and switch back when you leap onto land.

But best of all, when climbing your pokemon carries you around like this.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

nine-gear crow posted:

The three mission packs? Absolutely, yes, totally worth it. It's some of the best content the franchise has ever done.

The plane DLCs? Probably, especially if you like loving around in the super planes from the previous games. The most recent DLC pack is bullshit though, that's "Cutting Edge Aircraft" one. It's just a bunch of barely noticeable stat hacks for three planes that are already on the roster disguised as new planes.

Ok thanks. None of the DLC planes "break" the game do they? Sometimes DLC vehicles can gently caress up the intended progression. Are they something you should buy after you beat the game or are they fine to get early?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Veotax posted:

It may be my least favourite of the four main-line Arkham games (I just have a soft spot for Origins), but Arkham Knight still looks really good for an almost 10 year old game.

It was a mess when the PC port came out but technology has advanced enough that it mostly plays fine on any relatively modern system. With all the settings cranked up it looks as good as the new God of War or any other current standard for best graphics in games.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Pulsarcat posted:

I've been playing a lot of Pokemon Legends: Arceus and I like the way it handles mounts.

You get five of them, two land, one water, one that let's you climb BOTW style and one that lets you glide BOTW style.
At first I was worried that switching between them would be a chore and you would have to constantly mount and dismount while travelling.

But swapping is easy, if you simply use the D-pad to highlight a different mount, you'll switch too it after about a second.
You also get a prompt too switch to the climbing one when you press up against a climbable surface and a prompt to switch too the gliding one when you're in the air.

You'll also automatically switch to the swimming mount when you leap into the water while mounted, and switch back when you leap onto land.

BACKPACK WHERE HE KEEPS HIS TRAINER BOSS

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Kitfox88 posted:

BACKPACK WHERE HE KEEPS HIS TRAINER BOSS

Everybody catch this poké Sneasler wave!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pulsarcat posted:

First glance I thought this should be when your Pokemon is sneaking you through a no-humans-allowed zone.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Holy poo poo the costumes in Scooby Doo: First Fright actually completely change how characters play in combat, and even change their idle animations and general stances. That's really cool.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

First glance I thought this should be when your Pokemon is sneaking you through a no-humans-allowed zone.

Considering how many areas there are in the game where wild Pokemon can and will try to gently caress your poo poo up, I kind of wish this is what it did now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sneasler looks like a Pokemon designed to be in creepypastas for the next 3 years.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Heroes side quest in Cyberpunk 2077 is so goddamn good. You say goodbye to a good friend at a funeral and it's very lovely and emotional.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Philippe posted:

The Heroes side quest in Cyberpunk 2077 is so goddamn good. You say goodbye to a good friend at a funeral and it's very lovely and emotional.

There's so many great things in that game but somehow it never adds up into something really good. :smith:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I agree, but I also think that Cyberpunk 2077 is more than the sum of its parts, somehow. I love existing in Night City: doing side missions for weirdos, taking photos of cool lighting design, and sometimes looking at a freestanding texture because lordy the game still isn't bug-free.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I plan on getting a physical copy of Cyberpunk for ps4 so I can experience the original unpatched version in all its glory.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hector Delgado posted:

I plan on getting a physical copy of Cyberpunk for ps4 so I can experience the original unpatched version in all its glory.

It won't play as shipped on the disk. There is a forced update before it'll start.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm finally getting around to playing Origami King (and liking it pretty well, too). I was very happy when I started powering up a bit and the game let me know I could just kill weaker enemies directly in the world rather than going to the battle screen. Every rpg needs that, but this one in particular since there's the extra layer of battle setup before you can get into the actual fighting.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Philippe posted:

There's a ton of side quests in CP2077 that legit made me feel things, and for that alone I forgive a lot of sins (full disclosure, I'm running on a new system with the most up to date patches, so I'm not finding it too buggy).

I wasn't expecting a quest where you sit down in a suburban kitchen and have a long talk about religion with a condemned man. Or talk to monks about how Buddhism views cyberware. Stuff that's touching or just plain fascinating.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've just beaten the second episode of Scooby Doo: First Fright and it completely owns, it's such a huge escalation compared to the first story. The main monster is a giant robot and you are being attacked by evil mechanical toys that during the final level of the episode you are gradually shutting down the production line for. Also it has a bizarre willy wonka-esque toy maker and a child vigilante who blows up an alleyway with a handheld rocket launcher. It's completely over the top in the best way. You spend a good chunk of the final level of that episode deflecting literal missiles. Also the start of the final level of this set has you platforming across giant parade-float balloons styled after enemies in the level.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Feb 13, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Cyberpunk 2077 has a LOT to love and is a good game, but the hype level and expectations that people built up for it blind a lot of people to it. I absolutely loved it from start to finish.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Resident Evil 4 VR:

You can juggle your knife. The physics are a bit limited and it snaps back to your body if you throw it too far or high, but you can flip it in the air or pass it from hand to hand. First time ever playing this game in any format and I'm going to style on these villagers.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Philippe posted:

I agree, but I also think that Cyberpunk 2077 is more than the sum of its parts, somehow. I love existing in Night City: doing side missions for weirdos, taking photos of cool lighting design, and sometimes looking at a freestanding texture because lordy the game still isn't bug-free.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

There's a ton of side quests in CP2077 that legit made me feel things, and for that alone I forgive a lot of sins (full disclosure, I'm running on a new system with the most up to date patches, so I'm not finding it too buggy).

I wasn't expecting a quest where you sit down in a suburban kitchen and have a long talk about religion with a condemned man. Or talk to monks about how Buddhism views cyberware. Stuff that's touching or just plain fascinating.

Yeah, like there's so many little moments and stories spread through the game that are honestly emotionally touching in a really impressive way that a lot of stuff falls short of, but then you go back to the awkward forced open world aspect and the terrible driving and ugh. I believe in my heart of hearts that it would have been an all time great if it had used a Deus Ex style hub to hub travel with missions in the area and then bigger more story core missions would have their own large map they occurred in and whatnot.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

madeintaipei posted:

It won't play as shipped on the disk. There is a forced update before it'll start.

Oh, that's disappointing. I figured as long as I was offline, the disc was playable. Bummer.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The sound design in House of the Dying Sun is incredible. Staticy voices from your comms, beeps from the targeting computer and then just muffled ship noises. No pew pew laser sounds, just dull thuds, whirrs and reloading whines through the hull.

It's so great, it gives this amazing atmosphere that makes it feel more immersive and intense than games with star wars style laser blast noises or really clear voice comms.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
On that note the ambient radio chatter in Homeworld: deserts of Kharak is second to none, and some of the best sound design in modern gaming. It really adds to the atmosphere like no other RTS, but isn't horribly repetitive like most of its ilk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 has a LOT to love and is a good game, but the hype level and expectations that people built up for it blind a lot of people to it. I absolutely loved it from start to finish.

So did I. I have played through it enough times to get all the endings for V and the voice messages during the end credits change depending on what you did and how you completed it and there is one set that is so absolutely brutal Throw the pills away ending