Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I forgot that you had posted this

Generation Internet posted:

My reserve unit is planning on, as far as I know, a full bore Christmas dinner this year that I will definitely not be attending.
That's a piss off. :v:

Ours actually turned out to be a good moment for many people to decompress, which was sorely needed. It thankfully was COVID-free, which is more than I can say for the Northgate Church concert that's apparently responsible for our region having the highest rate of COVID-19 cases in BC right now, and spreading it to a bunch of schools.

Yeah, that's not following provincial health orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I forgot that you had posted this

That's a piss off. :v:

Ours actually turned out to be a good moment for many people to decompress, which was sorely needed. It thankfully was COVID-free, which is more than I can say for the Northgate Church concert that's apparently responsible for our region having the highest rate of COVID-19 cases in BC right now, and spreading it to a bunch of schools.

Yeah, that's not following provincial health orders.

What is it with obscure churches that draws in the covidiots like flies to poo poo? The Grace Life church in Edmonton attracts the same crowd

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Draws flies to poo poo like glass is drawn to a lightbulb.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Not sure how DWAN is working for everyone else, but I'm sure it's no coincidence that it's slow as poo poo as the entire CAF tries to tune into the MDN & CDS address today.

Guess I'll have to stream it from my phone.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Teams over DWAN is shaky at the best of times. This is gonna be a slideshow

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Against all odds, the Facebook stream is working surprisingly well for me (Facebook.com/CanadianForces). Barely any interruption. My phone isn't even keeping up that well. Wonder if SSC is playing a hand with that.

Everything else internet related isn't working though. Squeaked in this post!

Edit: just got a notification that there's slower network connectivity because Ottawa is doing a vulnerability scan. Facebook stream is still smooth.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 13, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
gently caress off newsgroups with translators for a bilingual text!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
People actually watched that??

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Might as well support an effort. Besides, it had more views than their youtube channel

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

im a bad soldier and dont even read my e-mails(shhh, dont tell anyone) and tbqh still don't know what it was about. i knew the planes werent stopping so i wasnt going to "attend" anyway.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Formal apology by the Defence Minister, and Civilian/Military leaders. Was about 40/50 mins long, last two speakers were better than the first. Facebook feed kept cutting off the audio to translate the french part of the message that was literally just spoken out loud and I loving hate every news group that pulls that poo poo. Its already a bilingual speech!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Comd Op IMPACT now

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/forces-philip-marcus-sexual-misconduct-claims-1.6294183

quote:

DND described the alleged comments as inappropriate. Sources who spoke to CBC News but who were not authorized to speak publicly said Marcus was heard making comments about lower-ranking women in the Canadian Armed Forces.

Please stop doing or saying things that you're not supposed to do/say, Sir.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Anyone got a link to the video that this dude made this week?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Posting that video may qualify as "reflecting discredit on the caf" in some circles, so um

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Good thing I'm a civvie now :devil:

But point well-made.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Someone made a mistake.

Someone made a big goddamn mistake.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

judging by that beard, i'm going to assume he's one of those """"""norse pagan"""""" weirdos

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I may have heard from someone who knows him and also had a thing or three to say about his neo-viking motif

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Neo-viking sure is a new way to say neo nazi

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Domestic service flights are back on the menu. No word on international.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I am looking forward to all the dress changes in April.

Rumor has it men can have women's hairstyles (and vice-versa), you can dye your hair weird colours, multiple ear piercings and rings, etc.

April 1st is also the RCAF's 98th birthday. I think I'll dye my beard Air Force Blue.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 18, 2022

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

April 1st is also the RCAF's 98th birthday. I think I'll dye my beard Air Force Blue.

RCAF Tartan or bust

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

So thats how old my hangar is

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Over/under on Hornets doing an intercept on Backfires doing a friendly incursion?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I am looking forward to all the dress changes in April.

Rumor has it men can have women's hairstyles (and vice-versa), you can dye your hair weird colours, multiple ear piercings and rings, etc.

First HAIRFORGEN was supposed to drop around Remembrance Day, then in December… I want to believe you.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Our Chief seems pretty confident about it, but I don't really know what happens in the Chief-net.

Apparenly you can roll your sleeves again? I dun fukken know anymore.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

anyone have experience with the helly hansen mil discount? want to get coats for my kids along with some other stuff for myself but wondering if they will just cancel those orders if it isn’t for me. I know lululemon and some other places are strict about that now.

Gonna shout out outdoor research for not really caring and also having awesome stuff. was actually issued OR gloves recently and they rock. wish they had pro stuff in stock ever.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Is the mil discount via the Vet card/status or via CF One status?

There should be less hassle if its the latter, iirc.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is the mil discount via the Vet card/status or via CF One status?

There should be less hassle if its the latter, iirc.

Mil ID. I guess I could always try and see how it goes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_ca/military-discount-program

"Proof of eligibility must contain your name & current date (please black out other sensitive information). Accepted forms of supporting documentation include:

Military ID Card
Paystub dated within 30-days of the application date"

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_ca/discount-program-faq

"CAN I PURCHASE FOR PEOPLE OTHER THAN MYSELF?
The opportunity to purchase Helly Hansen products at a reduced price is a benefit offered to eligible professionals and for PERSONAL USE ONLY. Purchasing items for people besides yourself is strictly prohibited and may result in closure of your account."

Edit: That being said, I can't imagine you would get dinged for buying clothes for your family if its being shipped to you. --Editx2: You could always call and ask, I suppose :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 5, 2022

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-canada-may-finally-have-the-political-will-to-strengthen-our-depleted/

Some Dipshit posted:

For more than a decade, both Conservative and Liberal governments have allowed this country’s military to degrade. Now, Russian dictator Vladimir Putin has sent his armies into Ukraine. The Baltic states could be next, and they are part of NATO. Canada is committed to their defence. Except we are not able to properly defend either them or ourselves.

“Looking at the current state of our defence capabilities, I’d say that the story is mixed but overall not good,” said Charles Davies, a retired army colonel who is a research fellow at the Conference of Defence Associations Institute, a think tank.

Bringing the armed forces up to where they need to be in this darkening world will cost a great deal and require political will. The question, as Russian troops besiege Ukrainian cities, is whether that will has finally arrived.

The federal government has dithered for far too many years over choosing a replacement for an ancient fleet of CF-18 fighter aircraft. A program to replace aged frigates and now-retired destroyers is so far behind schedule that the first ship is not scheduled to set sail for a decade, at least.

Plans to modernize North America’s antiquated NORAD defences are just that: plans. The Canadian Forces are 10,000 people below full strength.

In 2017, the Liberal government issued a highly praised defence review, called Strong, Secure, Engaged, which was intended to meet Canada’s defence needs for a generation.

But the government has failed to live up to its own commitments. Not only did the Liberals drag their feet on the fighter-jet and combat-vessel replacement programs, “they either handed back in, reprofiled, let lapse or otherwise did not spend $12-billion that was supposed to go to training, spare parts, or equipment acquisition,” said Andrew Leslie in an interview. Mr. Leslie served as commander of the army during the war in Afghanistan, and also served one term as a Liberal MP, before choosing not to run in the 2019 election.

“The situation right now is dire,” he maintained.

Both Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper and his Liberal predecessor, Paul Martin, acted decisively to provide Canadian troops with the equipment they needed to execute the mission in Afghanistan.

But as that mission wound down, Mr. Harper seemed to lose interest in the military, especially after coming under intense criticism from the Liberals over plans to acquire the Lockheed Martin F-35 to replace the already-obsolete F-18s.

When the Liberals came to power, child care, health care and infrastructure spending took priority. And then came the extraordinary financial burden of combatting the health and economic impacts of the pandemic.

Through all this, a defence-procurement process evolved that seemed perversely designed to avoid reaching decisions. Bureaucrats were told acquisitions must encourage regional economic development as well as meet defence needs.

Different government departments – National Defence, Public Services and Procurement, Industry, Finance, Treasury Board – have competing priorities. Duelling mandates ensure delays.

Each delay encourages planners to review and modernize any proposal, which only leads to more delays.

“The defence-procurement system that is in place right now is designed to constipate expenditures,” said former lieutenant-general Steve Bowes, who retired in 2020. “It looks like a game of Snakes and Ladders. It is purpose-built.”

In the meantime, “everything is 10 years older than it was 10 years ago,” observed Craig Stone, professor emeritus in defence studies at the Canadian Forces College.

That was the situation little more than a week ago, before Russia invaded Ukraine. Overnight, defence priorities in the West became the highest priority. Germany has long been a laggard in defence spending, just like Canada. But as Russian troops pushed toward Kyiv, Chancellor Olaf Scholz announced a €100-billion ($140-billion) increase in defence spending and pledged Germany would take its military budget above the target of 2 per cent of GDP agreed to by all NATO members.

Boosting Canada’s defence spending to 2 per cent of GDP would probably increase the current budget of $24-billion by about $9-billion. Where would the money go?

Most knowledgeable observers agree that the highest priority by far must be increasing Canada’s ability to defend its borders, especially in the Arctic.

That means, first and foremost, acquiring new fighter aircraft, a decision that is more than a decade overdue.

Second, it means accelerating plans to acquire new combat surface vessels to replace the retired destroyers and in-need-of-retiring frigates.

Third, it means investing heavily, along with the United States, in modernizing NORAD, through cutting-edge sensors, satellites and software.

“The goal is to have 360-degree knowledge of what’s going on,” said Andrea Charron, director of the Centre for Defence and Security Studies at the University of Manitoba.

Addressing personnel shortages is another high priority. And sooner rather than later, Canada will need new submarines.

Above all, it means procuring new equipment and technologies when they are needed, not two or three decades later.

The war in Afghanistan encouraged a defence doctrine based on combating insurgencies. But the Russian threat is both very real and very old-fashioned.

“You need an army capable of fighting a conventional war,” said Justin Massie, who specializes in defence and foreign-policy issues at the University of Quebec at Montreal. “We don’t have the capacity our allies have for air defence, for anti-armour capacity. We’re sending less armour to Ukraine than the Dutch and the Belgians, countries that are much smaller than Canada.”

Would Canadians support substantially increased defence spending, even if it led to increased taxes? Jean-Christophe Boucher, who researches foreign and defence policy at the University of Calgary, is part of a team that has been studying voter attitudes to defence spending through regular surveys.

Support for defence spending “is like a thermostat,” he said. “The colder it gets, the more you turn the thermostat up.” And the Russian invasion of Ukraine has made things very cold indeed.

Ramping up defence procurement comes with a cost beyond dollars and cents. Canada may need to abandon efforts to create jobs at home, instead purchasing equipment from other countries off the shelf.

“You’re getting equipment you know is good,” Prof. Boucher points out. “They’re not only easier, they’re cheaper to work with.”

But Mr. Bowes maintains that Canadian industry could step up to meet accelerated timelines, if the will were there.

“If you provide the funds, things will move,” he predicted. “The programs are in place. Timelines can be accelerated.”

What matters is political will: clear direction from the centre of government that decision must replace indecision, co-operation must replace competition, and that when something is truly needed, money will be found.

The good news is that, on the urgent need to improve Canada’s defences, there could be something approaching all-party agreement in Ottawa. Conservatives and Liberals, the governing parties, have come together in the past when the national interest required it. The national interest requires it now.

In all likelihood, war is not near. Vladimir Putin will surely think twice before taking on NATO, especially if his forces sustain major losses in Ukraine.

But the world today is a more dangerous place than it was last week, and it was already pretty dangerous then. Whatever is coming, Canada must be ready.

bro, we can't even get recruiting numbers to top attrition numbers.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Regarding procurement for basic gear: we have Canadian companies that can design good outdoor products. Why don’t we just tell them to produce that poo poo here and buy it. We all wear TNF, arc’teryx etc stuff anyways. The issued gear is loving awful.

Retention is going to be awful when wages are pretty lovely and you run the risk of getting posted to a location where cost of living is through the roof and suddenly you are thrust into poverty. We had people posted to Meaford when I was on a course there and they were tearing into the div cmdr during his visit cause no one could afford to live there. Some people were commuting from pet which is absolutely insane. Surprise, surprise some of them were already in the process of releasing.

And its not like the area even has any services. It’s a dump that just happens to be within 3 hours of toronto.

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 18, 2022

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
"You're asking for more than we can give right now"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"We know this position is critical but we can only afford one person, so as long as they never get sick, retire, or get posted, we won't have to worry about it."

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Procurement is a timely topic.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ukraine-russia-shoulder-mounted-missile-tank-javelin-stinger-1.6389525

Seems like we have a generational gap in experience with shoulder-fired anti-tank / anti-helicopter ordinance, affecting our ability to train the Ukrainians (who apparently are using Javelins pretty effectively right now). I'm not going to pretend to talk about what I don't know, but the service paper they link made me chuckle—it seems like every service paper I stumble upon mentions ways to improve retention.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 18, 2022

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
As someone who once played Wargame Red Dragon, we clearly need ADATS on a LAV

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
How do I get into DND procurement

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

With the recent world events, I've been considering joining the reserves. I'm 31, I have 2 kids, and I work a (flexible and accommodating) full time job as a robot/machine designer. I have a 3 year college diploma in mechanical engineering. I've considered multiple times joining the military, but never did. I was accepted in 2010 to officer school to be an armour officer but I decided against it then, and moved on with my life. I'm the type of person who feels a genuine sense of communal pride in where I live (I live in a co-operative, bank with a credit union, volunteer and donate to the food bank, participate in my community garden, etc.), and want to serve the country I love (don't laugh). I have no desire to make it a full time job or anything but I'd like to be ready to assist my countrymen in emergencies, humanitarian or environmental, or god forbid, in case of a catastrophic war. I have no illusions about romanticism of the military, I've read loads and loads of memoirs and am a passionate amateur historian (don't laugh). I'm mentally prepared to be yelled at by a drill sergeant 10 years my younger. Saying all this to give some idea of where my head and intentions are at with this.

I'm just sort of exploring this right now but I'm wondering if you guys could answer a couple questions and advise me if you've been in a similar situation or have friends/family/colleagues that have. Mock me for my naivety if you'd like.

Would my work experience be of any value here? Should I look for a job/unit that uses it, or would I just be looking to join as an enlisted infantryman? Is it really just one night a week and one weekend a month, or is there a whole bunch of other poo poo that comes with it? I could probably take a couple months off of work to do basic, but I'm wondering what the actual time obligations are like. Is this realistic for someone like me, or will this be too much (probably more of a personal question, but open to opinions)?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Sounds like you're already helping your community. Basically nothing you do (especially in the reserves) will beat that and the odds of being a part of disaster relief are fairly low just due to your location and how random weather is.

My info is old now (I've been out for a decade) and reserves were basically Some Weekends And Thursdays but the actual minimum was more like one Thursday per month. There were plenty of other things to help with on a volunteer basis but that also depends on your qualifications - which you'll have none of to start - and are likely diminished now due to covid.

And as someone with a child now himself - it would take an existential threat to keep me from my parenting responsibilities. Reg force especially means you can spend a long time away from home, and reserves are basically a part time job on top of whatever you're already doing. And yeah, if war has actually come to Canadian soil we're all hosed anyway.

e: I hate to be a detractor here because I've always (and still do tbh) recommended the military as a great career path, but it's a starting career path. It's a younger man's game, for those who aren't already established to get their footing and some quality work experience before settling down. It's not impossible to do with a family, but marital problems are extremely prevalent and I can't imagine being away from my kid for several weeks or a month at a time - much less being away for a tour in a combat zone.

It's real easy to get wrapped up in the glory and heroics of Ukrainians battling against a clearly evil aggressor. But the military is overwhelmingly not that - especially ours.

acumen fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Not to derail an important conversation, but YouTube works on DWAN all of a sudden, so good luck closing the fiscal year end without more distractions. :v:

Edit: agh, they nicked it. Well it was fun while it lasted.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 21, 2022