Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
A friend of my wife's and mine has done Ninjutsu for quite a while - not sure exactly how long but definitely over 10 years. Apparently he is a 5th dan. I looked online at places near where he lives and there is a Bujin school near him. It has no website, but it looks like it must be the one.

Never really talked to him about it because I don't want to accidentally insult him, but I've always wondered how seriously to take it. On the one hand, he's a rational, smart guy with a science degree and generally solidly skeptical outlook. On the other hand, ninjas.

Do any of these places ever do high intensity sparring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Basic Poster posted:

Okay I stand corrected.

Utter and complete bullshido.

Holy moly is it bad. And real dumb

Please post the details!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Basic Poster posted:

Okay I stand corrected.

Utter and complete bullshido.

Holy moly is it bad. And real dumb
tbh it sounded sketchy as gently caress.

What was the final straw?

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

A friend of my wife's and mine has done Ninjutsu for quite a while - not sure exactly how long but definitely over 10 years. Apparently he is a 5th dan. I looked online at places near where he lives and there is a Bujin school near him. It has no website, but it looks like it must be the one.

Never really talked to him about it because I don't want to accidentally insult him, but I've always wondered how seriously to take it. On the one hand, he's a rational, smart guy with a science degree and generally solidly skeptical outlook. On the other hand, ninjas.
I know zilch about "ninjitsu" and shinobi things, but I can only be super skeptical.

Incredibly intelligent people are just as susceptible to bias and fantasy as anyone else. You just hope that the more formally educated they are, specifically in science and philosophy, that their critical thinking skills are better honed than most. Real world experience prove that's obviously not the case.

I'd talk to him frankly about it. As long as you don't act like a smug rear end in a top hat I doubt you'd give offence to any real martial artist. All of the ones I know, even before I got involved, genuinely enjoy talking about it and answering questions.

Side, to get to 5th with us or an associated school, would realistically take 20+ years. 5 years to 1st and then potentially a Dan test once every 2-3 years after that. And that would be fast and super dedicated with a shitload of training. In reality, it would be quite a bit slower than that and doesn't really leave much time for failing a test which will almost certainly happen.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I'd be more surprised if a Ninjutsu school *had* a website

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sorry that it was BS. I'll support the call for a story.

The thing about "live sparring" that you noted in your first post that BJJ folks oftensay doesn't mean "you need to do live sparring for it to be worthwhile," it's "your art needs to have full-contact competition somewhere involved to keep its techniques honest," even if you're not participating in that competition. E.g. you can learn good judo with only occasional, light sparring if your teacher is someone whose teacher made a run at the olympics and whose students go to local tournaments, because there is that backstop of getting rid of the chaff.

Really big red flags for me in self-description are "ancient" "secret" and "military." If I see those in an art's description, at least without some kind of tempering statement, it basically screams bullshido at me. When it comes down to it everything that we consider martial arts today is modern, and any claim otherwise is caught up in some kind nationalist cosplaying, whether the person saying it knows it or not. There aren't "secret techniques" - people have been hitting and manipulating the human body longer than recorded history, and people are continually experimenting and learning. Modern boxing looks the way it does as a consequence of centuries of competition, blood-and-guts training and slow drifting of the rules. There are tons of boxers who have karate backgrounds, and if you watch them they, uh, look like boxers because that's what's competition tested. Likewise, hand-to-hand unarmed combat is not a significant part of any actual military training. They fight with guns and look at ending up in a hand-to-hand situation as being a complete tactical disaster. Oh, and the military guys I know who want to learn hand to hand? They train Judo or BJJ, and not Krav Maga. The more that an organization finds excuses to drift away from live, open competition and towards cloistered secrets or kumite in the jungles of Malaysia, the less legitimacy it has.

If you want to learn more about this there's a vlogger on youtube whose channel is "Martial Arts Journey" - he's was a die-hard Aikido guy who did a (friendly) challenge against some MMA fighters, accepted that Aikido was lacking in many ways, and who is now on a quest to integrate the things he liked about Aikido with the better-tested technical foundation of bjj/judo/mma training. He regularly returns to his Aikido stuff in his inter-discipline sparring sessions and it's by no means a "lol Aikido is lame guys lol bullshido" thing. His tone is more that a martial artist's journey of self-discovery needs to be honest with itself.

Anyway, lots of TMA still has competition somewhere down the line: look for a Japan Karate Association affiliated Shotokan place in your area, or maybe Kyokushin, if you want some TMA that's more striking oriented. Both of those orgs have competitive frameworks, though I think the JKA Shotokan is mostly point sparring. If you're willing to consider grappling arts, look for a Judo club. Judo clubs are traditionalist and keep TMA elements, and most of them work to accommodate a wide range of intensities so that it can be a lifelong art even once it ceases being a sport. One of the senior clubs in my region has multiple 70+ year old participants and a couple of 80+ year old ones on the mats at the same time the 22 year old mad men and crazy girls. That poo poo is awesome.

(Source: I'm a black belt in judo and a purple belt in BJJ, I have years of muay thai and boxing, and I've worked with high-level wrestlers and UFC fighters (mostly them kicking the poo poo out of me), in addition to having done workshop/collab type things with people from shitloads of other arts and disciplines; my dad is a retired black belt in shotokan and judo: all of this is to say that I have experience and perspective on the range of arts.)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fantastic post, I want to second Judo because, from the outside looking in, it really is a TMA that has all of the philosophy and ritual people like about that stuff (me included) while also being very "legit". It straddles both worlds, TMA and Combat Sports, in a way none of the others do.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Sometimes people dgaf about really fighting and have no illusions in that regard.

I think back to my aikido coach who was a retired kickboxer and just liked the mental stuff and interesting movement.

Ninjutsu though. dk there's such a high concentration of BS and delusion...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

Sometimes people dgaf about really fighting and have no illusions in that regard.

I think back to my aikido coach who was a retired kickboxer and just liked the mental stuff and interesting movement.

Ninjutsu though. dk there's such a high concentration of BS and delusion...

Well yeah. That's why whenever someone comes into this thread saying that they want to do a particular art, the Aikido guy I always start by asking what interests them in that art, not by making fun of Aikido or whatever. Everything can be valid and fun so long as it's honest in what it is and is not.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Really big red flags for me in self-description are "ancient" "secret" and "military." If I see those in an art's description, at least without some kind of tempering statement, it basically screams bullshido at me. When it comes down to it everything that we consider martial arts today is modern, and any claim otherwise is caught up in some kind nationalist cosplaying, whether the person saying it knows it or not. There aren't "secret techniques" - people have been hitting and manipulating the human body longer than recorded history, and people are continually experimenting and learning. Modern boxing looks the way it does as a consequence of centuries of competition, blood-and-guts training and slow drifting of the rules. There are tons of boxers who have karate backgrounds, and if you watch them they, uh, look like boxers because that's what's competition tested. Likewise, hand-to-hand unarmed combat is not a significant part of any actual military training. They fight with guns and look at ending up in a hand-to-hand situation as being a complete tactical disaster. Oh, and the military guys I know who want to learn hand to hand? They train Judo or BJJ, and not Krav Maga. The more that an organization finds excuses to drift away from live, open competition and towards cloistered secrets or kumite in the jungles of Malaysia, the less legitimacy it has.

If you want to learn more about this there's a vlogger on youtube whose channel is "Martial Arts Journey" - he's was a die-hard Aikido guy who did a (friendly) challenge against some MMA fighters, accepted that Aikido was lacking in many ways, and who is now on a quest to integrate the things he liked about Aikido with the better-tested technical foundation of bjj/judo/mma training. He regularly returns to his Aikido stuff in his inter-discipline sparring sessions and it's by no means a "lol Aikido is lame guys lol bullshido" thing. His tone is more that a martial artist's journey of self-discovery needs to be honest with itself.

Virtually none of the TMA's available are even 'traditional' Theres' nothing traditional about TKD. It didn't exist until after the Korean War and then it was more or less a straight copy of Karate, which again, apart from the Okinawan branches are modern styles. Aikido was invented in the 1920s, Judo is, at least compared to other Japanese martials arts, is also a modern invention, although it does get credit for being form the 19th century...but still, martial arts invented after martials arts became mostly irrelevant from a military perspective.

This is a fairly comprehensive list of traditional Japanese Martials Arts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_kory%C5%AB_schools_of_martial_arts

Please note, that there's no ninjutsu :D.

Granted, I'm biased. I'm 5th dan in kendo and have practiced Katori-shinto-ryu (which is about as close as you can get to 'ancient, military' and even includes references to ninjutsu!!), some iai and dabble in fencing..and while kendo in it's current state, is a modern evolution, it still (tries to) maintain it's root in the original styles. I'm not necessarily interested in 'practical' or 'realistic' and I do like tradition and I think they're worth keeping alive, although the thing that keeps kendo 'alive' for me, is the sparring, whereas even Iaido quickly turns into metaphysical bullshit.

The Martials Arts Journey was interesting apart from him constantly projecting his own weaknesses on everyone else.
He learned aikido to defend himself, got good at it (aikido) and then had his security blanket yanked out when it turned out that it wasn't good for self-defense!. (surprise!)
He then went "I don't want to say anything bad about people who do aikido" and spent the rest of the video doing exactly that. I kinda gave up after that.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I dunno, I sort of assume most people generally think that if you do a martial art a lot, and get good at it, then you Can Fight. This is definitely what me and all my friends thought in the time before MMA and it's definitely something presented in popular media from the 70's - 90's.

Edit: I mean, we were dumb kids in middle school and high school, but I really think this a belief most people have, and, if anything, it's just been mentally replaced with "does UFC".

I just mean that if he thought that, and he was instructor in Aikido, he probably saw the same delusions in a lot of other people that train in Akido.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 11, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Virtually none of the TMA's available are even 'traditional' Theres' nothing traditional about TKD. It didn't exist until after the Korean War and then it was more or less a straight copy of Karate, which again, apart from the Okinawan branches are modern styles. Aikido was invented in the 1920s, Judo is, at least compared to other Japanese martials arts, is also a modern invention, although it does get credit for being form the 19th century...but still, martial arts invented after martials arts became mostly irrelevant from a military perspective.
I think some people believe traditional=Ancient. They are not synonyms even though people may infer it as such. Is that how it's viewed when "TMA" is typically mentioned?

For TKD (as that's the only thing that I have any knowledge on at all), there is a "traditional" variant which is basically just the original form of TKD. Which is, as you mentioned, super similar to Karate. Sometimes even called Korean Karate. It was the progenitor of the other variants that started coming along in the late 60s. Before the overt craziness of politics starting taking over and massively fractured the sport into multiple branches.

Maybe it should be a different adjective.

I know I mentioned it before, but there is an good book on the history of TKD which is pulls no punches with its creation and development. Several interviews with some of the original masters who were sent around the globe to develop it and also a lot of the dirty laundry aspects too.
https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Art-...ps%2C147&sr=8-1

But 100%, it is not old in the scheme of things and nobody should be selling it as such. It was developed by a man who got into Karate during the Japanese occupation of Korea in WW2 and is new enough that some of the original generation of practitioners are still alive today.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

slidebite posted:

For TKD (as that's the only thing that I have any knowledge on at all), there is a "traditional" variant which is basically just the original form of TKD.

If you're thinking of Takkyeon, then it has very little to do with TKD, although they have certainly tried to make that connection.
Several factions of the Korean kendo community have tried the same: State that kumdo originates from original korean sword arts and has nothing to do with kendo (or Japan), with Haidong Gumdo being the worst offender. (They essentially tried to rewrite history).

A lot of this is an ongoing reaction to the Japanese occupation, which lasted a long longer than WW2 (1910-1945), where the Japanese tried to eradicate a lot of Korean culture and force fed them Japanese culture instead, including judo, kendo, etc.

I did in fact read that book. I did TKD as a teenager, ex-wife is Korean, so I do have more than a passing interest in Korean culture/history and have visited several times.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Hey friends, ninja dork here. Your local ninja boob idiot.

So, there isn't really a "story" to go with bunjinkan being dumb. I've just gone to the second class and figured I'd at least go a few months to see how it feels then. But here are the initial takeaways.

The guy doing the class, claims to be 5th Dan, and maybe he is but I've never been less impressed by an instructor of anything. Zero warms ups or stretching, rolls, falls which anytime I've been in any grappling or throw related sport, that's considered very important. Also the way the techniques are taught is extremely cavalier. Like I swear he's just sort of making a lot of it up. Which sure...you do that at a point but for two whites and a freshly non white, you sort of need to practice the form of the boiler plate version a lot before variation is going to make any sense.

For the two classes, it's been doing the same sort of step behind / arm trap thing from a lapel grab. I got fairly far into trad jujutsu and it was all lists of named techniques that had very specific kata at least as a starting point. This poo poo is just Helter skelter. In addition the footwork kept changing as he thought better of the first way he taught it.

The poor dorks in the class...I've met three other guys are all very out of shape, very much inside types, and it's clearly their first martial art. They didn't understand even the notional concept of joint locks and teach didn't even really care to correct them.

So these guys are trying to nail these techniques and their footwork is spastic, none of the kazushi or joint locks are working at all, they are trying to do it at full speed with zero regard for any technique. Truly cargo cult.

I feel bad for them because at least I kind of have other reference points.

Then he brings out some training knives, and wants the Tori to just sort of fold them into the techniques like a kuboton or whatever pain compliance do hickey. And these poor guys. Just floundering, I mean putting the blade edge against themselves I. The worst ways imaginable. Just real dumb. Not their fault .. definitely his, but these poor guys...god forbid they ever get enough false confidence to do anything other than run and call the cops.

Anyways I remember my first class or two of trad jujutsu and I was blown away instantly at the stuff I was learning and wanted to do it everyday. This is just...irresponsible.

Anyways so the journey continues. I'd love to find a trade JJ place again, I lived it so much and would have for sure gotten black quick if the owner wasn't such a creepy old sex pest. I'm good at it, I really am, and I've tried to find another school in the 5 places I've lived since and just haven't been able to find one.

I'm basically around north eastern WA if anyone knows of a trade adjacent grapple place. MMA McDojos are all around, krav maga place isn't too far. But I just feel a bit old for randori and don't do well with a lot of the personalities in bjj/maa places. Hell I'd take a 1980s era boxing gym at this point.

Also thanks for pointing out that yt channel about the guys martial arts journey. I did run across her a vida on bunjinkan and he's not wrong, but I really don't care that much. I just like the physical activity and ritual more than anything, but this place is like, completely going to do me more harm than good.

Thanks for the support y'all. You guys are great.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
That's real gross. I totally get the feeling too old for randori bit, it's the reason (outside Covid) i've been wary of starting up again after my back got hosed up in a car crash. I dunno what's available around your area, but have you considered something like kendo or even iaido or kenjutsu? Kendo has a lot of randori, but it's much easier on the body than a striking or grappling art, and it ticks the ritual and exercise boxes real well. The few kendo places I've been to have had a pretty stoic, practice-first socialize-later energy to them, which I appreciated after going to a kyokushin place where one of the instructors would weirdly poo poo talk Koreans all the time. Look mr. redneck cop, I get that kyokushin is for hardened badasses, not like that sissy olympic tae kwon do stuff you hate, but... I'm korean. the founder of kyokushin is korean. how is this happening???

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you're thinking of Takkyeon, then it has very little to do with TKD, although they have certainly tried to make that connection.
No, I am not thinking of that.

I am thinking of Traditional style TKD taught by several of the Grandmasters before it fractured into WTF, ITF and ATA, which I think started to really occuring in the early 70s? (totally going by memory for dates).

It's what was first taught by General Choi that he pushed out in the early/mid 60s. Most went along with either ITF/WTF (or ATA) in the 70s/80s, but a few stayed to the original, hence "traditional" - it's not as common now but there are some schools and associations that exclusively teach that.

ITF is the next closest, but they put in the "Sine Wave", the whole bobbing up and down and weird breathing thing - but their patterns/hyeong are still very much based on the original.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One of my best judo friends used to do JJJ, in Japan, at that, and he still loves it, but Judo scratches that itch for him.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We got a new adult member a few weeks back. Decided to join because his daughter wanted to get into the kids class. I'd say late 30s, super nice guy. He said he actually trained with a club that was WTF (the style they do in the Olympics) years ago and made it to a low color belt rank. I finally had a chance to partner with him and I was surprised how good his kicks were right out of the gate. Very strong crescent and reverse crescent kicks. Like, shockingly good. Stronger than mine. He could use some help on foot placement at the end but cannot take anything away from his power which means he's using the proper general technique to do them, which sounds simpler than it is. You could absolutely tell he's had some training and this wasn't new to him.

Moved onto sparring and his WTF training was immediately apparent. Sparred hands down, almost all the time. Only kicks, no hands. When told to bring his hands up he would, but always ended up dropping them when he did a technique. Especially every time he'd try a back kick or reverse kick of any type when you have to rotate the head to re-acquire the target, hands would be dropped/to the side. And pretty much always ate a punch to the head. That's a habit I'm pretty sure he'll be working on getting out of.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Eh, I find it hard to judge/criticise this stuff so long as it's something they enjoy that gets them out of the house and they have no illusions about it being serious military training of yesteryear or some mystic naruto art.

CommonShore posted:

Sorry that it was BS. I'll support the call for a story.

The thing about "live sparring" that you noted in your first post that BJJ folks oftensay doesn't mean "you need to do live sparring for it to be worthwhile," it's "your art needs to have full-contact competition somewhere involved to keep its techniques honest," even if you're not participating in that competition. E.g. you can learn good judo with only occasional, light sparring if your teacher is someone whose teacher made a run at the olympics and whose students go to local tournaments, because there is that backstop of getting rid of the chaff.

... snip.

Yeah I reckon I can confirm this. I'm an increasingly withered old bird (31, heh) who's been noodling about with a blue belt for the past decade or so. While the last competition I participated in was a nationals competition where I came dead last (I entered to make up numbers! :shobon:), I have refereed juniors matches and frequently play with people who have at least entered competitions in the recent past and we do discuss how various throws and matches panned out and how to counter someone from a different club's throw that they heavily leaned on in the last competition.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Fantastic post, I want to second Judo because, from the outside looking in, it really is a TMA that has all of the philosophy and ritual people like about that stuff (me included) while also being very "legit". It straddles both worlds, TMA and Combat Sports, in a way none of the others do.

I'd completely agree with that assessment. The degree of philosophy and ritual does vary from club to club, at least during regular training sessions, and how strictly you adhere to it as an individual can be almost entirely dependent on your most influential teacher (mine was turbo strict and my current sensei teases me a little about how formal I can be).

However, I also think there's a cultural element that some of the other martial arts don't really have (at least where I live). Like I notice that with judo, we tend to have parents playing on the same mat as their kids, and there's a lot of seniors teaching juniors techniques both as a part of the class but also in an ad-hoc manner (generally when you see them committing Judo Crimes, heh). Admittedly I haven't been to too many other martial arts clubs, but I've not really seen that dynamic in others clubs because classes/training sessions tend to be a bit more heavily divided into age and skill ranges.

This could be a regional difference thing, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

froglet posted:

Eh, I find it hard to judge/criticise this stuff so long as it's something they enjoy that gets them out of the house and they have no illusions about it being serious military training of yesteryear or some mystic naruto art.

Yeah I reckon I can confirm this. I'm an increasingly withered old bird (31, heh) who's been noodling about with a blue belt for the past decade or so. While the last competition I participated in was a nationals competition where I came dead last (I entered to make up numbers! :shobon:), I have refereed juniors matches and frequently play with people who have at least entered competitions in the recent past and we do discuss how various throws and matches panned out and how to counter someone from a different club's throw that they heavily leaned on in the last competition.

I'd completely agree with that assessment. The degree of philosophy and ritual does vary from club to club, at least during regular training sessions, and how strictly you adhere to it as an individual can be almost entirely dependent on your most influential teacher (mine was turbo strict and my current sensei teases me a little about how formal I can be).

However, I also think there's a cultural element that some of the other martial arts don't really have (at least where I live). Like I notice that with judo, we tend to have parents playing on the same mat as their kids, and there's a lot of seniors teaching juniors techniques both as a part of the class but also in an ad-hoc manner (generally when you see them committing Judo Crimes, heh). Admittedly I haven't been to too many other martial arts clubs, but I've not really seen that dynamic in others clubs because classes/training sessions tend to be a bit more heavily divided into age and skill ranges.

This could be a regional difference thing, though.

Our judo club divides the kids class and the adult class at about age 12-13, depending on the size and maturity of the kid, so at times when we've had more youth we get that dynamic.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

It's now been 6 weeks since I've been to class between covid and just being busy as poo poo and I'm really depressed and thinking about quitting.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

EdsTeioh posted:

It's now been 6 weeks since I've been to class between covid and just being busy as poo poo and I'm really depressed and thinking about quitting.

When's the next class?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Jack B Nimble posted:

When's the next class?

Tomorrow, but I can't make it, then a day class Thursday which I also can't make, then Saturday but I have to help my wife with stuff, and on and on. Honestly, my son's been really frustrated also, so I don't even know how much longer HE wants to keep going.

Really though I'm having a lovely day at work which put me in a bad mood. Disregard.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

EdsTeioh posted:

Tomorrow, but I can't make it, then a day class Thursday which I also can't make, then Saturday but I have to help my wife with stuff, and on and on. Honestly, my son's been really frustrated also, so I don't even know how much longer HE wants to keep going.

Really though I'm having a lovely day at work which put me in a bad mood. Disregard.

:glomp: if you can't make it you can't make it, worry about the next one you can make.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Jack B Nimble posted:

:glomp: if you can't make it you can't make it, worry about the next one you can make.

Thanks buddy!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The hardest thing about training is turning up...and be assured, people will be happy to see you back.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
After about 3 years of downtime, between getting kicked out of the old lease and then the pandemic setting in, my old gym is finally running again.
The new location has been 75% complete for the last year, waiting on a slew of final inspection signoffs as well as trying to time getting back into the market.
I had told the owners a long time ago that I'd be willing to help teach to make sure the school came back strong, but certainly had some reservations about trying to do so on the tail end of Omicron and no end in sight for the pandemic.

Cambridge, like Boston and some adjacent cities, has kept its indoor business mask mandate, and we agreed that was a prereq for opening the gym -- all students and instructors wearing masks the whole time. I intend to do PCR testing weekly, which at least has free testing sites for Cambridge residents.

For the first few weeks, we're running special "sampler" classes that cover more techniques with less concern about form, just to try to expose prospective students to what the whole curriculum would look like. I'm running the sanshou classes, and we have muay thai, BJJ, and wrestling all doing similar sampler stuff.

I've taught some low stakes academic seminars before, but this is the first time I've taught martial arts. First class was kinda rough, in that I asked the students how intense of a workout they were expecting, and despite the show of hands averaging 9/10 intensity, I still spent way too long lecturing details and going around correcting people. Second and third classes were much better -- I kept them moving the whole time, was more casual about correcting issues, and interspersed some higher intensity drills.

The attendance looks really impressive so far, much better than I thought it would be all things considered. I'm teaching in our MMA cage, which is pretty small, and 5 pairs of students would be the absolute max. 4 would be more reasonable. It's been 50-100% full. The big class, which is the wall-padded corner with a cage wall, could fit 25 no problem, has been for muay thai, and has been close to full every time I've been. Curious to see how much falloff and initial turnover we get.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

kimbo305 posted:

I asked the students how intense of a workout they were expecting

This is a great idea that I’m going to steal

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ihop posted:

This is a great idea that I’m going to steal

I had them show me on the scale: hand at waist = 0, hand above head = 10, and almost everyone had their hand somewhere at head level.
In my head I was thinking, "what is wrong with you people?"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

I had them show me on the scale: hand at waist = 0, hand above head = 10, and almost everyone had their hand somewhere at head level.

For someone new always knock 3/10 off of that scale because nobody wants to look wimpy so they'll inflate what they let other people see.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I know this has been touched on but...

EdsTeioh posted:

EdsTeioh posted:

Jack B Nimble posted:

The hardest thing about training is turning up...and be assured, people will be happy to see you back.
This really needs repeating. I totally get wanting to train, but being an adult means adult poo poo happens. It just does. Everyone at your club should realize this too. Heck - One very active (or used to be member) of our club got stuck out of the country (in Georgia, the country) when all the Covid repatriations started happening in 2020.. I literally haven't seen him in almost 2 years. But, I guarantee absolutely everyone who knows him would talk his ear off next time he darkens the door and comes to class and think nothing of it. Same thing for a month or two. That's short, it's hardly a blip in the scheme of things. Kids may or may not get it, but it's completely understandable. The advice to look forward to the next time you can is spot on. Don't worry about it or beat yourself up. poo poo happens. It's really only a problem if you give yourself some sort of deadline. Your muscle memory and fitness should come back in pretty short order.

Alternatively, and take it for what its worth, maybe find a club that has classes more days of the week that you can take in? I realize that's a drastic step but only a handful of classes a week including weekday classes during the day is pretty rough. I'd have a hard time with that too.

kimbo305 posted:

We will often do that kind of thing to if it's a generic class, especially for warm ups. A go-to if people are wanting a bit more of a sweat is throw the sparring gear on, first thing and do all the warm ups in it. Sometimes keep it on during drills and the entire class too. The headgear especially turns pretty much any class into a sweatfest.

Sometimes we'll get people to plank during instructions or something. So for example we'll be doing some drills, and for the minute or so they might be explaining the next set of moves, it'll be "OK, get into a plank and watch up front for what we're doing next" - repeat. Or stay on your toes in a sparring stance and keep moving during in between drills. Gets pretty drat tiring if you're doing it for 10 minutes straight.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

I know this has been touched on but...

This really needs repeating. I totally get wanting to train, but being an adult means adult poo poo happens. It just does. Everyone at your club should realize this too. Heck - One very active (or used to be member) of our club got stuck out of the country (in Georgia, the country) when all the Covid repatriations started happening in 2020.. I literally haven't seen him in almost 2 years. But, I guarantee absolutely everyone who knows him would talk his ear off next time he darkens the door and comes to class and think nothing of it. Same thing for a month or two. That's short, it's hardly a blip in the scheme of things. Kids may or may not get it, but it's completely understandable. The advice to look forward to the next time you can is spot on. Don't worry about it or beat yourself up. poo poo happens. It's really only a problem if you give yourself some sort of deadline. Your muscle memory and fitness should come back in pretty short order.

Alternatively, and take it for what its worth, maybe find a club that has classes more days of the week that you can take in? I realize that's a drastic step but only a handful of classes a week including weekday classes during the day is pretty rough. I'd have a hard time with that too.

Thanks man; much appreciate this (and everything else we've talked about since I started)

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Back on the maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat last night!!! Man am I feeling it this morning, but that felt great and my body was craving that. I was definitely feeling the layoff, but went super hard. Sparred against one of the better ladies in class (about my age I guess; mid 40's, blue belt) and ended up accidentally hitting a shin to shin. Went on to actually win that round, which felt amazing. Then took a head kick in the next round from a black belt instructor.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hell yeah, I absolutely notice and feel it if I don't train for a week. I get kinda twitchy. It does feel great once you get to it. And I sure bet you feel it this AM :lol:

A nice shin-shin contact always good for some nice bruises.

I enjoy sparring the "smaller" and younger BBs and senior color belts. Being not small, I appreciate their speed and how they adapt to going against someone like me who probably weighs 50lbs+ more and significant height advantage and doesn't get pushed around. And more often than not they do it really well, like striking while moving backwards. I realize I am never going to be as fast as a 17 year old again so have to play to my strengths going against them but sometimes surprise them with a fast move.

I had a pretty spicy round of gauntlet the other night (do you guys do gauntlet?)

Went against a 1 dan friend of mine, He is about 6'3"ish and looooong reach, both arms and legs.. probably 36"+ inseam, easily a few inches on me. He has great, long kicks, just a total natural at it. He's a very aggressive sparrer, especially with other adult men. Which is OK, because all of us adult guys at the club are pretty aggressive with each other and it kind of sucks if you get doesn't pushes, but you always know going against him it is going to be turned up a notch.

So this time he keeps pushing forward.... basically doing axe kicks iirc and I'm always stepping out of the way, generally doing a parry, showing him my shoulder/back, throwing the odd strike, mostly just to keep him at his distance. But now, he starts almost taunting a bit... saying "Come on, kick me" repeatedly, as he moves forward... kind of laughing at the same time. Tbh I'm getting a little annoyed as he keeps trying to sucker me in. So as soon as he finishes a kick I fire a right leg back kick at him. Connects. I immediately go forward into blitz punches to the head and am totally all over him. Probably scored about 6-8 points in 3 seconds

We meet again at his turn in the gauntlet. He's aggressive again (which when you are in the gauntlet isn't a great tactic). He is moving forward with crescent kicks which are similar to an axe, but generally used in closer quarters tho he is so tall he can reach with them. I keep moving back, similar to before... waiting for it... waiting... and then BLAM, I just connect with a quick front leg sidekick as he was preparing another kick.... double so as he was moving forward and he stepped right into it. Stopped him dead in his tracks and I took the wind out of him.

He's kinda funny, he is super aggressive and hits pretty hard, but the flipside he sure doesn't like it when someone connects decently with him.

Pretty sure when I do sparring for my BB test he'll be one of the guys I'll be against for the rank+ portion. It'll be a good show.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 22, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

Hell yeah, I absolutely notice and feel it if I don't train for a week. I get kinda twitchy. It does feel great once you get to it. And I sure bet you feel it this AM :lol:

A nice shin-shin contact always good for some nice bruises.

I enjoy sparring the "smaller" and younger BBs and senior color belts. Being not small, I appreciate their speed and how they adapt to going against someone like me who probably weighs 50lbs+ more and significant height advantage and doesn't get pushed around. And more often than not they do it really well, like striking while moving backwards. I realize I am never going to be as fast as a 17 year old again so have to play to my strengths going against them but sometimes surprise them with a fast move.

I had a pretty spicy round of gauntlet the other night (do you guys do gauntlet?)

Went against a 1 dan friend of mine, He is about 6'3"ish and looooong reach, both arms and legs.. probably 36"+ inseam, easily a few inches on me. He has great, long kicks, just a total natural at it. He's a very aggressive sparrer, especially with other adult men. Which is OK, because all of us adult guys at the club are pretty aggressive with each other and it kind of sucks if you get doesn't pushes, but you always know going against him it is going to be turned up a notch.

So this time he keeps pushing forward.... basically doing axe kicks iirc and I'm always stepping out of the way, generally doing a parry, showing him my shoulder/back, throwing the odd strike, mostly just to keep him at his distance. But now, he starts almost taunting a bit... saying "Come on, kick me" repeatedly, as he moves forward... kind of laughing at the same time. Tbh I'm getting a little annoyed as he keeps trying to sucker me in. So as soon as he finishes a kick I fire a right leg back kick at him. Connects. I immediately go forward into blitz punches to the head and am totally all over him. Probably scored about 6-8 points in 3 seconds

We meet again at his turn in the gauntlet. He's aggressive again (which when you are in the gauntlet isn't a great tactic). He is moving forward with crescent kicks which are similar to an axe, but generally used in closer quarters tho he is so tall he can reach with them. I keep moving back, similar to before... waiting for it... waiting... and then BLAM, I just connect with a quick front leg sidekick as he was preparing another kick.... double so as he was moving forward and he stepped right into it. Stopped him dead in his tracks and I took the wind out of him.

He's kinda funny, he is super aggressive and hits pretty hard, but the flipside he sure doesn't like it when someone connects decently with him.

Pretty sure when I do sparring for my BB test he'll be one of the guys I'll be against for the rank+ portion. It'll be a good show.

God this is rad; that head flurry sounds brutal!

We do something like gauntlet where it's more of a king of the hill type thing where you fight until you lose. That was what we were doing where my friend kiyaied a kid out of the ring and scored a point.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah we totally do King of the ring too. We'll typically do that as point sparring and first point takes it.

I *generally* don't do as well at that as part of my style is to let them get close, maybe absorb a point or two if I can't block or get out of the way, and then take over from there.

When I do King/first point I'm general, I am much more cautious. Either that or go out really fast out and surprise them with mixed results lol

We did gauntlet again last night. Full 90 sec rounds, 6 of us in the group with no rest between opponents. Basically 7+ minutes straight with continually fresh opponents. Totally exhausting.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Oh dude, I bet. My cardio sucks (but getting better) and took a hit due to covid. I really need to start jogging or brisk walking or some poo poo.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I found a local Sifu who teaches Wu (sometimes called Wu-Hao) style taijiquan. He teaches it as a martial art rather than just a Chinese health dance so I am very excited. In preparation I got running shoes. ;)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I found a local Sifu who teaches Wu (sometimes called Wu-Hao) style taijiquan. He teaches it as a martial art rather than just a Chinese health dance so I am very excited. In preparation I got running shoes. ;)

How does he differentiate his curriculum?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

How does he differentiate his curriculum?

I haven’t been to class yet but we had a good discussion. Basically, when you are taught a movement from the form the “first level” application is taught and drilled. They also practice push hands and the advanced “fast form” which is also more about martial application. He told me that if my interest is on martial arts he will be sure to teach me that. (His class sizes are very small, especially for his Taiji program, so everyone gets a lot of attention.) He also teaches kung fu but the style he teaches doesn’t grab me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Interesting. I imagine the fast forms all tend to look like Chinese wrestling, a ruleset where you should stay on your feet when you execute your throw.

I paste this a lot as the gold standard for taichi applications
https://youtu.be/wLZmH9jR5eo