Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Give Sam Neill gigs to make money so he can chill on his cool farm and post pictures of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I will defend Aquaman more than is heathy for having 0 dead parents and multiracial upbringing as core elements.

It ain't as good as Into the Spiderverse, but tragically, what is

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Sam Neill washing his sneakers is still the best piece of media content released during the pandemic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Ellie Sattler - "I'm a tactical dinosaur genius. Just trust my plan, I know how to stop them."
*rams T-Rex into Spinosaurus*

I had the biggest crush on her when i was a kid

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

priznat posted:

I was out of comics by that storyline and looked it up and yikes :stare:

Yeah, just saw a video on it a couple days ago and it's real stupid. He had to wear a spiked gimp suit because his powers broke and only worked when he's suffering. The incident where it happened killed a bunch of kids and started Civil War, so there's a martyrdom complex to it as well. Eventually he went back to his Speedball persona after he got new writers worked things out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, just saw a video on it a couple days ago and it's real stupid. He had to wear a spiked gimp suit because his powers broke and only worked when he's suffering. The incident where it happened killed a bunch of kids and started Civil War, so there's a martyrdom complex to it as well. Eventually he went back to his Speedball persona after he got new writers worked things out.

Gee I wonder why they left THAT out of the civil war plot in the mcu, lol

It’s especially weird because the speedball I knew and liked was just a light goofy character with kind of dumb powers that he could hardly control. I recall one issue of something he was trying out for the avengers with some other wannabe superheroes and they pretty much just used him to throw at other people and Captain America had to tell him to just stop just randomly bouncing off poo poo.

E: haha exactly how I remembered

priznat fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 12, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Can someone who's seen Evangelion please tell me this whiny dork kills himself and is replaced in the next episode.

This is the most annoying poo poo I've ever seen and I made it through like 12 episodes of Dragonball Z.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Can someone who's seen Evangelion please tell me this whiny dork kills himself and is replaced in the next episode.

This is the most annoying poo poo I've ever seen and I made it through like 12 episodes of Dragonball Z.

Who?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The turd who won't get in the robot. His dad is the boss.

e: god, this is bad

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

no overcoming himself is the point of the show

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think even the current anime addled AGH is ready for evangelion. Still larger doses of other anime will need to break down your brain more first

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Evangelion is a series about depressed kids being used by depressed adults into killing giant aliens who are probably depressed as well. The giant robot fighting stuff is just a bonus.

I like the series a lot but if you're having a hard time handling Shinji right out the gate I don't know if you can last til the midpoint of the series where it gets more lighthearted before twisting every goddamn knife it can find in that kid's heart.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

his new persona, immediately redubbed 'Bleedball'.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't think even the current anime addled AGH is ready for evangelion. Still larger doses of other anime will need to break down your brain more first

Current anime standings:

Princess Mononoke - 10/10

Perfect Blue - 9/10

Ponyo - 7/10

My Neighbor Totoro - 5/10

Ninja Scroll - 5/10

Spirited Away - 3/10

Dragonball Z - 0/10

Evangelion - 0/10

JoJo - 0/10

ONE PUNCH MAN - 11/10

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 12, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They should make a Justice League movie based on the Giffen reboot. Or a TV series. Whatever. As long as it didn't divulge too far from the source is would be a huge hit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Current anime standings:

Perfect Blue - 9/10

Ponyo - 7/10

Spirited Away - 3/10

Dragonball Z - 0/10

Evangelion - 0/10

ONE PUNCH MAN - 11/10

I recommend Outlaw Star. Sci-fi adventure series with space ships that punch each other. It's got highs, good lord it has lows, but overall I'd say it works.

If you end up hating it just don't break it to me, I'd rather live assuming you loved it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outlaw Star has a journey to the sexy hotspring planet episode so its 100% anime

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Current anime standings:

Perfect Blue - 9/10

Ponyo - 7/10

Spirited Away - 3/10

Dragonball Z - 0/10

Evangelion - 0/10

ONE PUNCH MAN - 11/10

What about Your Name?

And i'd recommend the 5 in this OP that you haven't seen:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990230

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

What about Your Name?

And i'd recommend the 5 in this OP that you haven't seen:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990230

I have Your Name, Paprika, and Grave of the Fireflies on DVD but they're supposed to be heavy dramas that are more like real films, so I'm spacing them out.

I also got about 10 minutes into JoJo and was like MAN gently caress THIS.

e: also forgot Ninja Scroll

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Barudak posted:

Outlaw Star has a journey to the sexy hotspring planet episode so its 100% anime

Still amazing that despite being the fanservice episode they tied in one giant plot device into it, so when they got to the final episodes in America after skipping the hot springs episode the main character inexplicably has super magic bullets seemingly out of nowhere.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I have Your Name, Paprika, and Grave of the Fireflies on DVD but they're supposed to be heavy dramas that are more like real films, so I'm spacing them out.

e: also forgot Ninja Scroll

Look at my recommendations. They aren't your typical recs and are from the perspective of someone who just likes good media. Also, Your Name is not a heavy drama. It's more of a romantic comedy with sci-fi concepts thrown in. Grave of the Fireflies is definitely heavy. Paprika I found to be forgettable.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the early 90s famously killed comic books with endless trash and alternate covers. it's about time for a revival.

just wait until they start mining the non-DC/marvel comic book lines for ideas. (most are now owned by DC/marvel.) :getin:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the early 90s famously killed comic books with endless trash and alternate covers. it's about time for a nostalgic revival.

just wait until they start mining the non-DC/marvel comic book lines for ideas. (most are now owned by DC/marvel.) :getin:

Archer & Armstrong would make for a good Netflix show. Or something in hour long installments.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Still amazing that despite being the fanservice episode they tied in one giant plot device into it, so when they got to the final episodes in America after skipping the hot springs episode the main character inexplicably has super magic bullets seemingly out of nowhere.

Thats the best part, really.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

priznat posted:

Wake me when Disney dusts off the New Universe books. Psi-Force, Justice and DP7 would make good shows!

While not a NU series, about 20 years ago we almost had a "Strikeforce: Morituri" series/movie. However, today it'd probably be a much easier thing to sell and make with the concept of "People get superpowers to fight aliens, but the powers kill them in a year." Lots of room to just throw in a constantly rotating cast every single season and change the style/direction of the show each year.

priznat posted:

Gee I wonder why they left THAT out of the civil war plot in the mcu, lol

It’s especially weird because the speedball I knew and liked was just a light goofy character with kind of dumb powers that he could hardly control. I recall one issue of something he was trying out for the avengers with some other wannabe superheroes and they pretty much just used him to throw at other people and Captain America had to tell him to just stop just randomly bouncing off poo poo.

E: haha exactly how I remembered

I'm pretty sure the first Speedball stories were drawn by Ditko and he's listed as a creator. In a lot of ways he feels like the first character in the 80s/90s that comes off like how we tend to perceive Spider-Man to be. Teenager, science accident powers, kinectic powerset, goofy personality, kind of a screw up, a lot of the MCU sort of thinks he's a strange. I don't know if there was a push at Marvel to make a Spider-Man for the 90s or not and he's the result.

But I'll admit, I always liked Speedball.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Comic books are for nerds, you losers.

Watch ONE PUNCH MAN like a cool sexman.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When faced with a choice between endless super heroes and endless anime, I suppose there's always the option to simply walk into the ocean

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Youngbloods. Astro City. Gen13. WildC.A.T.S. The Maxx. The Authority.

the trash is endless

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Crisis on Endless Trash

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

No Mods No Masters posted:

When faced with a choice between endless super heroes and endless anime, I suppose there's always the option to simply walk into the ocean

No Don't.

You have to live.

There's so much beauty in the world.

Like ONE PUNCH MAN.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

the early 90s famously killed comic books with endless trash and alternate covers. it's about time for a revival.

I still think in the 80s/90s there's a lot of oddball indie comics that could probably be mined for some success. This is likely in large part due to being comics and that's still likely a popular adaptation market right now, and also not being so well-known as to have massively vocal fan followings that flip out over any change to the source material.

Oh, then we start mining the 70s/80s European comics and get more stuff like the Verokita movies or whatever the hell it was RLM watched like a year ago.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

yeah the intro to part one is needlessly mean (especially with the dog killing) and super nonindicative of what the series is like

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Tunicate posted:

yeah the intro to part one is needlessly mean (especially with the dog killing) and super nonindicative of what the series is like

Maybe it gets better, but that first 10-15 minutes was annoying edgelord poo poo cranked to the breaking point. Like I was getting Kingsman vibes and I can't loving stress enough how much I HATE Kingsman.

And I had no idea Dragonball Z was a show for tiny, tiny kids. I thought it was supposed to be this badass action cartoon all this time from all the merch and stuff I've peripherally seen for decades, but it was just like muppet babies or something.

The disappointing one is Evangelion. It's hyped as this great sci-fi drama that explores mental illness and whatnot but Christ this main character is insufferable. And I don't care if that's the point. This level of self-absorbed whining is unbearable. It's like an animated Trump tweet about how mean the press is to him.

In summary: I'm on a hot streak with movies, but the TV shows are pure poo poo.

Except for ONE PUNCH MAN. That owned so hard.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Except for season 2, which wasn't very good. Or apparently the newer issues of the manga, some of which don't even have Saitama.

OTOH, Ones other work, Mob Psycho 100 is one of the greatest anime of all time. One, the creator of OPM.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

Except for season 2, which wasn't very good. Or apparently the newer issues of the manga, some of which don't even have Saitama.

OTOH, Ones other work, Mob Psycho 100 is one of the greatest anime of all time. One, the creator of OPM.

Sold.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the first season of dbz, Goku vs vegeta, is 39 loving episodes long. it was made at a time when you just had to fill air, and they reuse animations and backgrounds all the time. I cannot imagine watching it as an adult.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Season 2 is fine, it just had to follow up one of the best animated seasons of any show ever.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

the first season of dbz, Goku vs vegeta, is 39 loving episodes long. it was made at a time when you just had to fill air, and they reuse animations and backgrounds all the time. I cannot imagine watching it as an adult.

I thought the green guy with the pet monkey was kinda funny, but I just bailed once the Vegeta fight was in like episode 4 and there was another "his power level is increasing" scene. Holy poo poo yawn.

kdrudy posted:

Season 2 is fine, it just had to follow up one of the best animated seasons of any show ever.

I knew in advance season 2 wasn't good.

They were wrong. The story arc wasn't anywhere near as good, but the comedy held up. And King is such a pitch perfect character.

And I love negasonic teenage ninja. The running gag of him being the "nemesis" is comedy gold.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I thought the green guy with the pet monkey was kinda funny, but I just bailed once the Vegeta fight was in like episode 4 and there was another "his power level is increasing" scene. Holy poo poo yawn.

https://i.imgur.com/SXu2tpe.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In conclusion, anime is a land of contrasts

lol