Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I like it. I had a good laugh at the zombie jaw drop myself.

Pike sure really made an impression.

Soooo about the ending of the last episode:

Was that Delilah in the cell? It kinda looked like her and she was missing an appendage, the same one she first carved the symbols into. So who's the Delilah with Silas? The demon? It is a demon right. Or evil god or old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The Last Call posted:

I like it. I had a good laugh at the zombie jaw drop myself.

Pike sure really made an impression.

Soooo about the ending of the last episode:

Was that Delilah in the cell? It kinda looked like her and she was missing an appendage, the same one she first carved the symbols into. So who's the Delilah with Silas? The demon? It is a demon right. Or evil god or old one.

There was another female name on Percy's list that wasn't Delilah but I can't remember what it was.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

There was another female name on Percy's list that wasn't Delilah but I can't remember what it was.

The other name on the list was Anna Ripley. Percy has not yet made it clear who she is to him beyond an enemy, nor what she was doing for the Briarwoods.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

The other name on the list was Anna Ripley. Percy has not yet made it clear who she is to him beyond an enemy, nor what she was doing for the Briarwoods.

I just figured it was them given what he did after seeing her.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It's a perfectly reasonable guess, I was just saying what the name was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm embarrassed by how hyped I got when Percy broke out Bad News against that giant.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

D-Pad posted:

This gets better every week. I was laughing the entire Scanlan solo adventure and that was probably my favorite part of the show so far. Him busting in on the big guy taking a poo poo killed me. This show has turned out a thousand times better than I expected and I hope it is getting enough attention to have many many more seasons.
Thank you so much for continuing to update with your perspective! Scanlan's Scanbo adventure was the first time he sort of justified his character's presence and hinted at his competence on stream so that was the "wait for it..." moment many in the thread had been hinting at. Curious to see how it comes across here, as I try to think back to my first time watching(hearing) that episode on stream, I don't remember the petulance and blind luck that the cartoon leaned so heavily into--the vibe was more "look what he can do when he focuses". Of course, many of us are still ambivalent or worse towards the bard, so the Scanlan skeptics experiencing this for the first time: You're not off base or out of step!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Gaz-L posted:

I'm embarrassed by how hyped I got when Percy broke out Bad News against that giant.

Bad News is no joke. The fact he rolls so many crits, it turns it into a nuke launching bazooka.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The slow transition from "Oh poo poo I need to get out of here" to "I AM GONNA MURDER EVERYONE IN THIS MOTHERFUCKING HOUSE:black101:" remains one of my favorite moments in any medium

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I feel like how the group initially reacted to Scanlan's ideas and spiel kinda reflected the sentiment many people got of him until now. And i am kinda glad that he proved to be up to his task, albeit in a very special way (guess he has a high roll on his luck stat).

One gripe i have about the series so far: In fights, i can't really tell what's dangerous and what not. They get all-bloody, spew black goo out of their eyes, have a dozen arrows sticking out of their bodies and shrug it off. Hits only seem to matter when the plot dictates it - that's also what turns me off most superhero-movies.

Apart from this, i enjoy this absolutely fine. More please.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...I just got the joke where Grog said Scanlan's into the freaky poo poo when the house is on fire: He thinks they're still talking about the brothel because Vex mentioned it a minute ago.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

...I just got the joke where Grog said Scanlan's into the freaky poo poo when the house is on fire: He thinks they're still talking about the brothel because Vex mentioned it a minute ago.

Grog has an int of 6 so there are non-sentient creatures that can challenge him in intelligence. In the stream Travis plays this to absolute loving comedy perfection constantly. With out hyperbole one of the smartest portrayals of the dumb guy trope in any media.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DarklyDreaming posted:

The slow transition from "Oh poo poo I need to get out of here" to "I AM GONNA MURDER EVERYONE IN THIS MOTHERFUCKING HOUSE:black101:" remains one of my favorite moments in any medium

Sam’s kind of manic, wide-eyed, disbelieving “I know I should get out now, but, I mean…I have to see how far I can take this, right?” demeanour throughout that whole sequence of the live stream was pure magic. It’s the first time I can remember everything seeming to click for Sam and him getting fully engaged and sold on the whole D&D thing.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

bou posted:

I feel like how the group initially reacted to Scanlan's ideas and spiel kinda reflected the sentiment many people got of him until now. And i am kinda glad that he proved to be up to his task, albeit in a very special way (guess he has a high roll on his luck stat).

One gripe i have about the series so far: In fights, i can't really tell what's dangerous and what not. They get all-bloody, spew black goo out of their eyes, have a dozen arrows sticking out of their bodies and shrug it off. Hits only seem to matter when the plot dictates it - that's also what turns me off most superhero-movies.

In general I feel like they're pretty good about indicating serious injury, mostly "is it Grog? Then nope."

A side effect, of course, is that to put anyone down mostly requires very dramatic dismemberment, which makes fights a bit more gruesome than perhaps necessary sometimes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Sam when he wants to be is probably the best like mechanical and tactical player of D&D at that table.

He is also the one most likely to lets say, never use an ability he has to reroll 1s, except to gently caress over the party.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Dexo posted:

He is also the one most likely to lets say, never use an ability he has to reroll 1s, except to gently caress over the party.

Which is why it's frustrating when Sam does it and it's just "Oh, that's just good old trolling Sam!" but when a guest does it (*cough* campaign two ep. 26 *cough*) or when Marisha forgets an ability out of her arsenal of 300 abilities, there's a pile-on.

Show good though.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I'm also amused that Vedmire, even more than in the stream, wants so badly to be a serious villain with his gravely voice (the casting felt like a meta-joke) and intimidating demeanor and cruelty, but Vox Machina - especially Scanlan but even Percy - just does not let him have this. Percy dismisses him as an afterthought even after he murders his childhood friend, because giving this guy the big dramatic finish would be exactly what he wants.

Normally I find that sort of dramatic deflation extremely weak, cheap humor. I wasn't especially fond of it in the trailers or the opening joke with the totally-not-standard-D&D-party. But somehow with Vedmire it felt deliberate enough to not be mocking the genre but rather this specific dude.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Ok, that bit with Cassandra got me, that was hilarious.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I love that Taliesin says he had a gun maker help design his stuff and when he told him what he wanted the gun guy said "that probably wouldn't fire more than once" to which Taliesin was all "PERFECT!"

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Show still good, and I like that it's leaning towards more serious and dramatic moments when needed. Scanlan's poop joke was a bit OTT.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm super glad that the show is becoming better and better!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Maybe it was just all the running and screaming, but Scanlin really gave me Abridged Krillian vibes this set of episodes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just bought the soundtrack. I haven’t even watched the show yet, I just dig the music. Excellent use of “Your Turn to Roll” throughout.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

bou posted:

In the livestream, it played out a bit differently (not a lot differently, it was still a one man rampage that was incredible to watch) because Scanlan put on a master class of using all his bard spells to the fullest - Dimension Door, Stinking Cloud, Polymorph, etc. But the plan had always been to burn the house down and once inside and alone and under attack, Sam very abruptly realized he didn't have any fire spells. So he was frantically digging through his item list for anything that might help (while being jeered at by the rest of the cast for not planning as well as he thought) and uncovered an old potion that he had to have written down years ago and totally forgot about, a potion of fire breathing.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the show limiting what spells the party knows and turning the whole incident into much more of a lucky romp instead of Scanlan proving that yes, he's actually highly competent when he wants to be, but I suppose it's funny either way and hopefully the comment about "I should remember that for next time," means Scanlan will keep using Polymorph in the future.

quote:

According to the Q&A from a few days ago, the black goo was meant to represent necrotic damage that reduces your max hit points - it's gross and bad and makes you feel weaker, but it's not as instantly fatal as the guards made it look. I agree that that wasn't communicated well though and as someone who's watched way too much of this show, I certainly didn't pick up on that.

Generally speaking, any damage to Grog is not serious unless it's an overwhelming amount of damage. Any damage to the rest of the group is probably more serious. In game terms, Grog's a mountain of HP who takes half damage while raging from anything that's not magic, so he's pretty sturdy, Percy's a Fighter so he's also got a solid pool of hp and can heal himself with Second Wind to shrug off damage, Scanlan look the Tough feat so he's not as easy to put down as he looks, Keyleth tends to keep herself healthy by using Wild Shape to give herself a new hp pool, and Pike self heals. The twins were consistently the squishiest members of the group by far for the entire series due to their tendency to low roll on level ups and just not having a lot of points in Constitution.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 12, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm not normally one to say this but I kinda wish they'd lay off the profanity a little. It feels a little jarring for some reason. Can't explain it. I don't actually expect this to happen, so I'll live with this.

That said I'm impressed with how the show has come. The first two episodes honestly felt like below mediocre Adult Swim and now it's a really good fantasy adventure thing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think I'm a little confused as to certain technical aspects of the Scanlan stuff. Why couldn't he summon the hand to float off the roof as soon as he was trapped up there? Was the crotch laser supposed to be Lightning Bolt? Why wouldn't he just always use it?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He has been trying and failing at using his lightning magic the entire series. It just worked this time.

Also it's scripted.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

if you wish there were more systematized rules i have excellent news for you about a certain actual play twitch stream

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Did another watch-a-long with the D&D group. The Scanlan episode was a lot of dumb fun but Jesus Christ the Anders episode was brutal . The violence in that one actually made me squirm. I know (campaign spoilers based on end of Episode 7) Cassandra's throat slit was originally an illusion. And it seems they made it real this time? If so, Anders is such a fucker. . Stephen Root (Bill Dauterive from KOTH!) did an excellent job as Anders. An absolutely cocky proud rear end in a top hat.

Finally we got Percy's whole name! And during a serious moment, too.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I know (campaign spoilers based on end of Episode 7) Cassandra's throat slit was originally an illusion. And it seems they made it real this time? If so, Anders is such a fucker. .

I noticed that too and I thought it was odd, but I don't think anyone in VM either in character or in real life actually realized it was an illusion until Matt told them much later? I think they were busy panicking and didn't pick up any of the hints. No reason to complicate things for the cartoon then since nobody in game had any reaction to it and they certainly gave Anders enough motivation to actually do it.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

CuwiKhons posted:

I noticed that too and I thought it was odd, but I don't think anyone in VM either in character or in real life actually realized it was an illusion until Matt told them much later? I think they were busy panicking and didn't pick up any of the hints. No reason to complicate things for the cartoon then since nobody in game had any reaction to it and they certainly gave Anders enough motivation to actually do it.

Yeah that's fair. It would have been meta if they did know. And making it real when it was confirmed to be fake in the campaign made the scene in the cartoon much more horrifying.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Was it fake in the game? I very much remember it being real, and someone having to race over to give her a potion before she died.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Phylodox posted:

Was it fake in the game? I very much remember it being real, and someone having to race over to give her a potion before she died.

I don't remember anything about it being fake, I remember Vax bursting in and trying to oneshot Anders and failing and Anders immediately slitting Casandra's throat.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It was an illusion. The players did rush in and hastily gave her a healing potion which she took, but Matt mentioned at the time that despite her throat being cut, there was no blood on the floor. In the heat of the moment, the players kind of ignored this and Matt didn't bring it up again, clearly deciding that if they missed it then they missed it.

Edit - I will say, one thing I don't like that they changed is that in the original, Vax is the one who bursts into the room and causes Anders to cut Cassandra's throat, rather than Percy being the one to do it. This has no immediate ramifications now but I do think it's worth it for a situation that happens (much) later.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 12, 2022

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I was kinda disappointed that they managed to save her, to be honest. Outside of Percy’s buddy, who was telegraphed to die more than any red shirt on Star Trek, there haven’t been any character deaths that I’ve cared about.

Maybe it’s just not that kind of a show, but that cliff hanger of Percy’s sister bleeding out on the floor made me think that maybe it was.

No real complaints about any of this, mind you. It just kinda felt like a cop out that they managed to save her. Also it makes me not worry about any of the main characters getting mortally wounded since it’s now confirmed that dying is just kind of a suggestion unless you’re split in half or something.

But it’s D&D so that’s par for the course!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Robobot posted:

I was kinda disappointed that they managed to save her, to be honest. Outside of Percy’s buddy, who was telegraphed to die more than any red shirt on Star Trek, there haven’t been any character deaths that I’ve cared about.

Maybe it’s just not that kind of a show, but that cliff hanger of Percy’s sister bleeding out on the floor made me think that maybe it was.

No real complaints about any of this, mind you. It just kinda felt like a cop out that they managed to save her. Also it makes me not worry about any of the main characters getting mortally wounded since it’s now confirmed that dying is just kind of a suggestion unless you’re split in half or something.

But it’s D&D so that’s par for the course!

Yeah, they are pretty much gods, definitely nothing bad can happen to the main characters that will have lasting implications.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Robobot posted:

Oh it is, it's just that it's also D&D so deaths are fixable if you've got the resources and you care enough about the individual in question. Trust me, there will be deaths. Quite a lot of them in future seasons. And at least one highly notable one that isn't fixable.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
This already got renewed for a second season right?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Yes. The Kickstarter made enough to fund the Briarwood arc and Amazon swooped in to fund a second season before the first one even aired. I'm not sure how widely popular the show is but I know it's been mostly well received so far (at least in terms of review outlets and fan opinions). We'll see if Amazon springs for more seasons later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Prime advertises it as in the top 10, number 2 in :canada: so it seems to be doing well so far.