Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Attack on Titan: The Final Season: Part 3

I think the last ... 5-6 or so chapters could make for a decent movie with some rejiggering?

Like if you maybe started with the first 1/4 of 133
Then flashback to 123 (skip it in the anime)
And then do 133-139 and fix the ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't know how Japanese TV works but I really feel like the finale might just be a feature length episode or something. Because I agree that a movie of the last 8 chapters would be awful pacing-wise since it's pretty much just one sequence, and just dumping people into that in media res just seems poo poo.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

from anime thread

Rocco posted:

I'm saying this as a huge Lost fan- this show is doing all the poo poo I wish Lost had actually done.

im fuckin howling rn

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Paper Lion posted:

from anime thread

im fuckin howling rn

lol

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Szmitten posted:

I don't know how Japanese TV works but I really feel like the finale might just be a feature length episode or something. Because I agree that a movie of the last 8 chapters would be awful pacing-wise since it's pretty much just one sequence, and just dumping people into that in media res just seems poo poo.

Again, after the Demon Slayer movie raked ridiculous cash (during the pandemic), I believe we should expect an AoT feature film.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paper Lion posted:

from anime thread

im fuckin howling rn

omg

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah the rumbling by itself doesn't seem that horrific...

My favorite

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's pretty simple. Release the bad ending in the show, then release a movie with the real ending, then redo the whole show as movies so you can do the really real final ending justice.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Paper Lion posted:

from anime thread

im fuckin howling rn
The quote it's replying to is even funnier to me

Thundercracker posted:

This might be one of the few long running tv shows where the mystery box ended up being not stupid.
Admittedly I don't know which mystery box this person is talking about since there's a dozen of them but "unexplained parasite in weird tree lake" ends up being the biggest and worst of them.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 9, 2022

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
They probably meant the basement, that's always been a pretty well regarded reveal

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The basement is the mystery box.

The source of the titan powers is never treated by the story as something that'll get an explanation or be relevant, so it's surprising when it's addressed at all, and the answer turns out as good as it could possibly be.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

JahRoo posted:

I think this is the exact kind of thing that’s easy to change in the anime ending though. just change the line from “you killed 80% of humans and all the forests” to like, idk something not quite as cartoonishly stupid. Maybe it just hits a few countries and the worlds ecosystems aren’t devastated.

If they’re going to stick to that, Mappa needs to do *a lot* in showing the true scale of the rumbling to do that, and that’s going to take a lot of newly animated scenes

Like if they stick with the manga and shows nothing but Founder Eren’s March on Marley, that poo poo is still going to look goofy as gently caress when the anime crowd asks “wait when in the gently caress did *that* happen?!”

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DaveKap posted:

The quote it's replying to is even funnier to me

Admittedly I don't know which mystery box this person is talking about since there's a dozen of them but "unexplained parasite in weird tree lake" ends up being the biggest and worst of them.

Thats not a mystery box, the parasites just a parasite

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The presence of an inexplicable precambrian spirit monster has people asking a lot of questions already answered by the presence of an inexplicable precambrian spirit monster.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Ymir touched the eitr and became the Eotena Onslaught.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

serious gaylord posted:

We're all expecting a movie to finish this off but like the material left is just not suited for a proper movie. There's no set up left, It'd just be 90 minutes of the super friends trying to stop Eren before half hour of monologues.

It'd make a billion dollars anyway so I don't know why I'm thinking about this so hard.
I feel like Anime has done the "force fans to watch a movie to conclude a tv series because only a movie will have enough budget" thing a lot, so it's not hard to expect it? Remember End of Evangelion? Fullmetal Alchemist? Char's Counterattack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXWNyHwryUo

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Vanderdeath posted:

Ymir touched the eitr and became the Eotena Onslaught.

Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Thats not a mystery box, the parasites just a parasite
I may as well provide full disclosure: The only thing I ever knew about JJ's mystery box was that it was never supposed to be opened and that's what Lost was supposed to be about, a big mystery that was never solved.

Which is why I never watched Lost.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I randomly watched a newer episode and was reminded of Gabi's character development--she actually has a decent arc. Then I'm reminded of the last two chapters and find myself asking again, "No, really, what was the message of this loving story?"

Not only did the narrative create numerous parallels between Gabi and Eren, it explicitly made Eren Gabi's enemy. Her arc is learning that Paradis is not "an island full of devils" and starts to see humanity in the other (and therefore, herself, etc. etc.). The story is clear about her arc.

I therefore expected Eren's arc to be the opposite: he's trained to be a weapon as much as Gabi is, but his worldview since birth has been "everyone outside the walls are monsters who want to destroy us," and has been betrayed any number of times by people he once trusted. Unlike Gabi, he isn't able to develop beyond hatred and bloodlust, and part two is the result of that. It's his friends realizing they're too late to save him. "Oh but family, blood is thicker than water, surely his family.." Nope, betrayed his brother, his father desperately wants to stop him. Characters throughout the story point out how much "that boy ain't right."

But, then so many things about the PATHS and the ending either contradict this, or muddy the waters so much that you apparently wind up with a fascism take. Or really take at all because what the heck where do you land on this mess?

As much as I hate it, I think the ending should have taken the "spelling it out to the audience" route that Breaking Bad took. Straight up tell the audience "Actually, I'm a selfish rear end in a top hat who did it for me and not my family. Also, our fans were way too harsh on you despite me gaslighting you, threatening you, and lying to you constantly. Chill out, fans." On one hand, I didn't expect much of a rebuke from Armin--he is one of two characters most likely to give a unnecessarily diplomatic response to something as hosed as your friend causing a global near-genocide. On the other hand, which is the much less subtle hand, I wanted a speech like, "I see you wanted to protect the only people you care about or know, so you went to these extremes to save us. But, you failed to consider what WE might want, whether or not your plans are shortsighted and might lead to problems beyond what you can see in the future. So not only were you actually selfish, but you're a monster and I hate you forever. Also Gabi is actually okay, she's a freaking child, chill the gently caress out fans."

Edit: I have no idea how they'd do a movie. Maybe a special or something. I forget how popular this series is sometimes.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 10, 2022

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Schwarzwald posted:

The presence of an inexplicable precambrian spirit monster has people asking a lot of questions already answered by the presence of an inexplicable precambrian spirit monster.

really wish this would fit as a thread title

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Tatsuta Age posted:

it's not mediocre! it's like game of thrones TV ending awful

When the GOT finale aired that show was straight-up ejected from public knowledge. It was a series that people talked about every single day for years, then the finale aired and nobody ever talked about it again and the brand realistically ceased to exist. Nothing will ever be that bad.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

New ending should just turn AoT into the Kalm flashback from FF7

Go explore all the mysteries in the basement, see all the drama unfold, as the supposed hero character loses his mind, unleashing death and terror on innocents, everything's dramatic and awesome and all building up to the bigass denouement and then---!!!

...what, I don't remember what happened next

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
And what is the deal with Historiana? There’s no way she wasn’t supposed to be a bigger deal in relation to Eren. Mikasa really is a poo poo character..

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I never really cared about Mikasa and didn’t like the focus that was put on her in the last few chapters. Did Ymir just want to see her kiss a decapitated head? I forget

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Vincent Valentine posted:

When the GOT finale aired that show was straight-up ejected from public knowledge. It was a series that people talked about every single day for years, then the finale aired and nobody ever talked about it again and the brand realistically ceased to exist. Nothing will ever be that bad.

GOT was seasons of actively ruining characters and storylines , culminating in a finale which was not only bad, but retroactively ruined the entire series good parts and all.

No matter how I feel about the final chapter of AOT, it is entirely isolated to that chapter. Everything else was consistent with what came before and doesn’t take away from the good parts. With the extra chapters i believe Isayama was not self sabotaging, but constricted himself with the 139 chapter limit and didn’t know how to conclude it in that timeframe while tying all the loose ends

He just didn’t know how to end it on that time limit and his time spent exploring how even without enemies Eldia would fall into familiar cycles showed that. He just needed more time and he creatively felt he shouldn’t do that, which is retrospectively a bad decision but one I understand

Asuron fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 10, 2022

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The United States posted:

I feel like Anime has done the "force fans to watch a movie to conclude a tv series because only a movie will have enough budget" thing a lot, so it's not hard to expect it? Remember End of Evangelion? Fullmetal Alchemist? Char's Counterattack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXWNyHwryUo

These are all extremely different scenarios (Eva is anime-only and a seperate production, I recall when Shambala came out that it wasn't being presented as the "true end" and just an extension to their fake story anyway, and CCA is a weird adaptation of an adaptation that got adapted again) and are all anime-only in some interpretation of the phrase. I actually can't think of think any manga's TV adaptation that had its conclusion switched to a movie adaptation instead.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

hatty posted:

I never really cared about Mikasa and didn’t like the focus that was put on her in the last few chapters. Did Ymir just want to see her kiss a decapitated head? I forget

The twist at the end is that Ymir in love with Fritz in a toxic way that she couldn't let go of for 2000 years until she saw Mikasa, a person intensely in love with someone in a probably toxic way, do the needful for the greater good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DaveKap posted:

I may as well provide full disclosure: The only thing I ever knew about JJ's mystery box was that it was never supposed to be opened and that's what Lost was supposed to be about, a big mystery that was never solved.

Which is why I never watched Lost.

Mystery boxs, when opened yield more questions that themselves open more and more and by the end you have a confusing mess. The parasite isnt really a question like that bc its never really meant to be answered in the sense of "what is it", the world of AOT just has a weird parasite that makes people into titans

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Mystery boxs, when opened yield more questions that themselves open more and more and by the end you have a confusing mess. The parasite isnt really a question like that bc its never really meant to be answered in the sense of "what is it", the world of AOT just has a weird parasite that makes people into titans
I decided to look into this a little bit more. JJ Abrams does, indeed, have a mystery box that he's never opened. That's what I associated with the term. It seems that what you're describing, however, is what the cinematic term is defined as; thus my confusion.

This learning experience has taught me that I really don't like JJ Abrams.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

LOST is great, and somehow i'll say AOT would have been better getting weirder and off track way before the last few chapters like LOST did and it would have been better.

Not every mystery box needs opening, but you can't keep introducing them during the climax of the series or their introduction and lack of resolution becomes a sore point that sticks out way worse than if you'd left them alone from earlier in the narrative.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Let me introduce y'all to a real puzzle box of a show called Twin Peaks

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh man I forgot all about how much of the ecosystem is supposedly destroyed at the end of AoT. Hahahaha, what garbage

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its kinda silly but its my biggest annoyance with the ending: 80% of the world stomped would cause a mass extinction event as bad as a nuclear apocalypse or a big rear end meteor.

Most of the life in the world would die, the global climate would change dramatically, and people would not be able to just keep on living in Paradis like nothing happened

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eh, we've done more accumulated damage to the biosphere irl and things are still not yet bad enough that people can still claim they're actually fine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Eh, we've done more accumulated damage to the biosphere irl and things are still not yet bad enough that people can still claim they're actually fine.

We have not destroyed 80% of the biosphere quite yet

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

if you think we are currently living in a world where all the forests are destroyed like at the end of AOT then lmao

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think it's pretty obvious he just chose a number that was big and scary without thinking too deeply about what that would mean in real life. It's silly and worth making fun of but trying to examine it on a deeper level is a fool's errand.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

We've eliminated about 60% of forests and over 90% of terrestrial animals in the past two centuries, but the real winner is our damage to the oceans, which is the place where the real deal mass extinctions start.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think it's pretty obvious he just chose a number that was big and scary without thinking too deeply about what that would mean in real life. It's silly and worth making fun of but trying to examine it on a deeper level is a fool's errand.

going "hold my beer" at the Thanos snap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I think destroying 60% of the biosphere over a couple of hundred years, while still extremely bad, is no where to destroying 80% of the biosphere in a couple of months or days or however long the rumbling took.