Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I get the director being unhappy with the cut because the movie was critically dragged but there's not much in that 90 minutes that would make me think 30 more minutes of it will fix anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maybe it's just 30 minutes of the Leto Joker getting the poo poo kicked out of him by the entire cast, cut from the original release because all the actors kept referring to him as Jared and egging each other on by their real names and encouraging the crew to jump in?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The little I've read about it is Ayer's original version had the Joker/Harley relationship be much more abusive and it resulted in the Squad kicking his rear end before the Enchantress fight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I believe Ayer and Leto have said they shot enough Joker footage to cut together an entirely new film.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Ayers has been very public about WB butchering his movie. He's kinda of a hack who made Bright so who knows how good it would've been, but I can definitely vouch the theatrical cut is not his movie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The little I've read about it is Ayer's original version had the Joker/Harley relationship be much more abusive and it resulted in the Squad kicking his rear end before the Enchantress fight.

One of the worst things about that terrible film was that they seemed to be trying to play off Joker and Harley's relationship as being something to root for. Which was, yeah, that was gross as hell.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah WB freaked out when Batman v Superman sorta bombed after opening weekend and Ayers turned in another dark film. So they demanded it be more like the recent mega hit Guardians of the Galaxy and then the final cut became a pissing contest between WB and Ayers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Economos gets to be show MVP for mowing down an entire troupe of Nazis with a P90

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Every so often I think about that moment in Batman vs. Superman where Batman, his heart heavy but knowing he has no choice, chooses to murder a thug to save Superman's mother. It was the only choice dammit, this is a pivotal moment in Batman's life, he MUST make the lamentable decision to take another life, his hand has been forced!

There's a 10 minute fight scene preceding this moment where he just casually murders every other thug in the room, in a movie where he was just workmanlike blowing up cars with people inside of them and showing not the slightest hesitation in killing anybody who got in his way of.... stealing an alien mineral so he could murder Superman.

In case my own incredibly subtle touch is too light, you should know I'm not a particular fan of the Synder movies.....

FlamingLiberal posted:

Economos gets to be show MVP for mowing down an entire troupe of Nazis with a P90

:hellyeah: Economos has been killing it (and Nazis!)

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah I'm not either, I didn't even bother with the 4 hour Justice League remake

What made Gunn's version of Suicide Squad much better is that it focused much more on Waller being a ruthless monster, which is the real heart of any Squad story.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Vigilante is just gonna get more and more jealous of Economos getting all of the coolest kills despite not being a highly trained killer

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Did anyone watch Peacemaker watchalong they did last Saturday? They're doing another one tomorrow.

Where are they streaming these? Are they archived? The tweet from James Gunn is lacking in info.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1492186037875060748

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Has anyone theorized that the cow is merely a giant catepillar waiting to turn into a giant butterfly, meaning Peacemaker is going to have to fight an actual Mothra in the last episode?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Murn bring a different colored butterfly from the ones we've seen seems significant

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I believe Ayer and Leto have said they shot enough Joker footage to cut together an entirely new film.

Don't you threaten me, sir.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mutant butterfly cow will be defeated by sticking the activated "scabies" peacemaker helmet on it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Every MCU director does "serious punctuated by quips"

Yeah, it's a top-down Marvel mandate, no? They focus test their movies to prevent them from being too upsetting, and deliberately leaven every heavy moment by throwing in something cute or funny.

I wouldn't necessarily draw any conclusions about a director's style based primarily on their work with the Mouse (or any major studio blockbuster tbh).

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Gunn's been doing that since at least Super. As I haven't seen Slither or any of his Troma stuff it very well could go back even earlier.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gunn's been doing that since at least Super. As I haven't seen Slither or any of his Troma stuff it very well could go back even earlier.

Well in Slither you'll get somebody realizing that even after everything they still love their wife, but the person doing the realization is Michael Rooker playing a slimy puppet made up of an entire town melting into him so yeah.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Apparently there's a push for an extended cut of the first Suicide Squad? Are people really clamoring for more of Leto's terrible Joker?

There are people, that need to do rails of Joker content at all times. Batman is literally just a Joker delivery system to them.

Jerusalem posted:

One of the worst things about that terrible film was that they seemed to be trying to play off Joker and Harley's relationship as being something to root for. Which was, yeah, that was gross as hell.

There are a lot of people who think that way though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Plus she's just way out of that dweeb's league.

I don't think that's really true. All of them are kind of in the "hosed-up badly damaged" league to one extent or another.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Badass government agent falling for a very dumb and murderous bus boy seems far fetched, even for this universe.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

That “gently caress it, can’t worry about it now.” at Judo Master getting loose is the most realistic reaction ever lol

one of my favorite bits of dialog so far and it got a big laugh out of me

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Xelkelvos posted:

Murn bring a different colored butterfly from the ones we've seen seems significant

I took the “he was a warrior” quip to be in part a caste reference to how ants of different job duties will look considerably different to others. Could be nothing though. No idea why he decided to try and escape then and not play dead or attempt anything other than “fly past literally everyone trying to kill you and hope for the best”.

Also the cops he shot didn’t appear to vacate their bugs. I thought that was kind of weird as the rest of the team just sort of stepped by them and ignored the threat of getting Song’d.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Warbird posted:

I took the “he was a warrior” quip to be in part a caste reference to how ants of different job duties will look considerably different to others. Could be nothing though. No idea why he decided to try and escape then and not play dead or attempt anything other than “fly past literally everyone trying to kill you and hope for the best”.

Also the cops he shot didn’t appear to vacate their bugs. I thought that was kind of weird as the rest of the team just sort of stepped by them and ignored the threat of getting Song’d.

It's contrived, but Murn's butterfly wasn't trying to escape. He had rigged his radio to transmit. When the other butterflies saw him, it made them talk about butterfly poo poo and reveal the teleport plan.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, it's a top-down Marvel mandate, no? They focus test their movies to prevent them from being too upsetting, and deliberately leaven every heavy moment by throwing in something cute or funny.

No, this is dumb. You can just watch the most recent Spider-Man and there are tragic moments that get their time to breathe.

Guardians 2 also has a very somber and sad ending sequence. I think there is one joke from Drax in there, but otherwise it's pretty sad.

I think Gunn should've maybe given more time after Auggie was killed, but then he didn't deserve to be mourned.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Guardians 2 also has a very somber and sad ending sequence. I think there is one joke from Drax in there, but otherwise it's pretty sad.

I mean, I haven't seen the most recent Spiderman, but I think the allowance for some tonal variation doesn't really invalidate the idea that Marvel films have a specific tonal band that they don't really leave -- Guardians 2 has some sad stuff, but even during the sad stuff Yung Groot is around to be a mascot character. And then the film ends with a bunch of comedy intra-credits sequences.

But like, tbh, this isn't the thread for this. Agree to disagree?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I have no desire to see it, but if I recall from when the film first came out wasn't it suddenly reedited like a month out from release by the company that made the trailer because the trailer got some positive buzz online? Then it shockingly and completely unexpectedly turned out to be that editing for a 2 minute trailer and a 90-minute-film are entirely different things.

Yea it's this. idk if the Ayer movie would've been good, but it probably would've been more coherent at the very least.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

10 Beers posted:

That was 2005, though. His career has come a long way since then.

Yeah The Rock was really bouncing around different roles back then, going from The Scorpion King to The Rundown and Walking Tall to Be Cool and The Tooth Fairy

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

swickles posted:

Has anyone theorized that the cow is merely a giant catepillar waiting to turn into a giant butterfly, meaning Peacemaker is going to have to fight an actual Mothra in the last episode?

They made a point of showing its single tooth and chubby face. It definitely seemed babyish - for an alien kaiju.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Actually one of my favorite gags: You are beautiful...

...on the inside.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Fartington Butts posted:

Did anyone watch Peacemaker watchalong they did last Saturday? They're doing another one tomorrow.

Where are they streaming these? Are they archived? The tweet from James Gunn is lacking in info.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1492186037875060748

Looks like it's done on Twitter, and the posts are archived via the hashtag https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/PeacemakerParty

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Okay I forgot about the existence of Powerless too but I've spent over a full minute cackling at this idea and now I kinda want to watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_WdZBBnRAo

I love the TV narration.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

We all got tricked into thinking Economos was a support class when he's really an unwilling rogue.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Daduzi posted:

Looks like it's done on Twitter, and the posts are archived via the hashtag https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/PeacemakerParty

Like 3 tweets in and already struck gold :allears:

https://mobile.twitter.com/itsnhutle/status/1490154607619846149

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Apparently there's a push for an extended cut of the first Suicide Squad? Are people really clamoring for more of Leto's terrible Joker?

Hot take:
Leto's Joker was a fine characterization, but his costume design sucked. Take away the tattoos and silver teeth and he would have been good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr Hootington posted:

Hot take:
Leto's Joker was a fine characterization, but his costume design sucked. Take away the tattoos and silver teeth and he would have been good.

I'm still of a mind that some exec whipped that up in photoshop and told them to do it.

That loving damaged tattoo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

twistedmentat posted:

I'm still of a mind that some exec whipped that up in photoshop and told them to do it.

That loving damaged tattoo.

Yeah it sucks and takes away from leto's Joker having a very sinister and flamboyant personality. He has a very '82 to "Killing Joke" joker.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I was surprised, but also happy, that the nazis got hosed up like immediately. I was a little worried they would stick around forever as this sort of B-side villain. Economos always getting the drop on people.

Does Peacemaker still have his sonic boom helmet? Could take out a lot of butterflies with that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Hot take:

He'd still be like a run of the mill gangster only interested in money though, might as well just use Black Mask or something