Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Takuan posted:

Are there any particular keywords to use to find Chaos Space Marine proxies? One of my goals is to paint up a little squad of each of the major Chaos legions, starting with the 4 god-aligned ones.
Same with Orks and Sisters of Battle, but those seem to be much easier to find.

Have you heard of Atlan Forge?

Their catalogue is here: https://www.myminifactory.com/users/AtlanForge
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/atlanforge

The not-Space Marine with CyberTrex or CyberTriceratops are particularly cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Chaos is a random collection of words fittingly enough. Heretic, legion, renegade, corrupted, plague, diseased, sneaky. Sometimes searching for really bland words like squad or band or builder can turn up stuff. When you find something, check out the creator's other stuff, look at the key words and search those.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Say, quick wash and cure question. I love the idea of putting the whole build plate in to wash and then cure. But how much should I be worried about the parts of the models in contact with the build plate ? Won't the underside of the bases need a quick cure pass after they're separated ?

Is it worth removing a heavily supported model from the build plate and curing it loose ?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

mllaneza posted:

Say, quick wash and cure question. I love the idea of putting the whole build plate in to wash and then cure. But how much should I be worried about the parts of the models in contact with the build plate ? Won't the underside of the bases need a quick cure pass after they're separated ?

Is it worth removing a heavily supported model from the build plate and curing it loose ?

Don’t put the build plate in the cure. One, you should always remove supports first, then cure for a lot less damage to the model. Two, unless you scrub the build plate clean before you put it in the cure, you’ll get a bunch of cured resin all over it and it will look like poo poo. And yeah, you could have to cure the bottoms of the models if you cured with the things on the plate .

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 11, 2022

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

mllaneza posted:

My Anycubic wash station has a attachment point that you can attach the height of so you can place just the bottom of the plate into the IPA. I wouldn't dunk the entire thing in.

I put the entire plate in the wash, then remove the models from the plate, and just give the bottom a little swish. I then remove the supports with warm water, and finally cure.

I wouldn't cure with the models still on the plate, simply because removing the supports before curing is way, way better than doing it post-cure.

The underside of the supports - the part that contacts the build plate - shouldn't have any uncured resin on them anyway.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Eediot Jedi posted:

Chaos is a random collection of words fittingly enough. Heretic, legion, renegade, corrupted, plague, diseased, sneaky. Sometimes searching for really bland words like squad or band or builder can turn up stuff. When you find something, check out the creator's other stuff, look at the key words and search those.

This is how I find most stuff. Find anything close to what I want and then trace the keywords they use to other stuff.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Just pulled the trigger on a Photon 4k. Anything in particular I should know or be aware of on that before starting up? I have an FDM printer as well that collects dust REALLY well lolz.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

EdsTeioh posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a Photon 4k. Anything in particular I should know or be aware of on that before starting up? I have an FDM printer as well that collects dust REALLY well lolz.

Make sure you have a pile of alcohol, nitrile gloves, and paper towel. YouTube some options for coaching/curing

Also look into mixing in 10% of some flexible resin for durability

Takuan
May 6, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Make sure you have a pile of alcohol, nitrile gloves, and paper towel. YouTube some options for coaching/curing

and a metal funnel
and a fine strainer
and a thin-edged rubber spatula
and lots of alcohol
like more than you probably think you need

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Cool, thanks! In regards to the alcohol; that's just regular isopropyl, correct?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

EdsTeioh posted:

Cool, thanks! In regards to the alcohol; that's just regular isopropyl, correct?

Probably good to have some whiskey around too.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

armorer posted:

Buddy have I got good news

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

EdsTeioh posted:

You need something to be able to cure your prints and resin contaminated paper before disposal. You can rig up a box and UV light, buy a wash and cure station, the sun is possible but not great for consistency and keeping daylight hours.

Silicon mats people put under pet food bowls are great, put them under the printer, under your resin contaminated tools and where you clean and remove supports. You can expose them to UV and then knock off any residual resin, very easy to clean (I also have plastic cafeteria trays underneath those for moving them around and because I'm paranoid about spills, they have higher walls).

Get silicone tongs or chop sticks or something for handling prints/waste without touching so you need less gloves. Be careful where/how you put them down so the end you handle isn't getting contaminated.

If you're using water washable resin, waste water still can't go straight down the drain.

Spend the time dialing in your printer/resin with exposure tests, do it every time you change resin types or try a new mix.

There are plenty of internet printers whose answer to every failure is increase the base layer exposure time, they are bad and wrong. Home resin printing is still young, it's half science half bargaining with fickle gods when fixing problems as a beginner.

Temperature is important, most resins fail way more often as the temperature falls below 15 C. Some resins are more tolerant than others. High temperature can also means failures but far harder unless you print in a grow tent/shed in summer.

If you get real sweaty hands wearing gloves, get some cotton gloves and wear them under nitrile. Still get sweaty but way more comfortable and easy to take the nitrile on/off over them.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

drat, that's great; thank you so much!

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Also see the other 3D printing thread for more resin good times

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

I tend to gun for the 99% stuff but I don't know if it reaaaaly matters

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

91% is perfectly fine, and WAY cheaper than 99%

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also denatured alcohol is even cheaper

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

User Everclear. One for you, one for me, one for you, one for me...

I actually just stepped in to post this link because goddamn that's a clever idea for a terrain piece,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keycapas/hobbit-holes-pay-what-you-want

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I wanted to try out M70 on my Saturn Pro, but I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried a few different settings, longer exposure, slower lift speed, but it's failed every time

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Amy tips/settings you can share?

E: Fixed it with better supports

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 12, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

mllaneza posted:

User Everclear. One for you, one for me, one for you, one for me...

I actually just stepped in to post this link because goddamn that's a clever idea for a terrain piece,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keycapas/hobbit-holes-pay-what-you-want

Those are v cool, but GW/FW has been doing those for ages.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

armorer posted:

Right when the pandemic hit, I couldn’t get alcohol for love or money, so I cleaned my FDM build plates with vodka. Worked great!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I tried doing resin printing, I had Elegoo standard poly photo resin and the fumes were so noxious I couldn’t deal with them (even through a respirator).

I know there are all sorts of resins, are any of them actually less horrid or just different flavors of poo poo?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Crackbone posted:

I tried doing resin printing, I had Elegoo standard poly photo resin and the fumes were so noxious I couldn’t deal with them (even through a respirator).

I know there are all sorts of resins, are any of them actually less horrid or just different flavors of poo poo?

I'm a big fan of sirayatech, but everyone's sensitivity is a bit different so who knows

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

I'm a big fan of sirayatech, but everyone's sensitivity is a bit different so who knows

Same here, I've personally found Siraya Tech resins to have very low odor; but everyone's mileage will vary, as you said.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Yeah that’s kind of the issue. Don’t want to spend a couple hundred trying to find resins that don’t immediately cause headaches. Thanks though.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Aren't plant based resins supposed to be lower odor?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Supposedly. I find Phrozen to be pretty low odor.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Anycubic Basic Grey has barely any odor at all

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

A friend has offered to print some things for me. Is there a place to grab a couple armies for epic 40k or one page rules?

Already shoot him a leman russ ..

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ropes4u posted:

A friend has offered to print some things for me. Is there a place to grab a couple armies for epic 40k or one page rules?

Cult3DS and also Etsy.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Thingiverse has (had, been a while since I checked) a lot of tiny tanks and galactic warriors.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm modeling in Blender and printing on an original Elegoo Mars using Chitubox. I can't wrap my head around what Blender units, scene units, export scale, etc to make a 30mm tall model show up in Chitubox as 30mm tall. What settings do I need to use in Blender to have the scale in Blender match the scale in Chitubox?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm modeling in Blender and printing on an original Elegoo Mars using Chitubox. I can't wrap my head around what Blender units, scene units, export scale, etc to make a 30mm tall model show up in Chitubox as 30mm tall. What settings do I need to use in Blender to have the scale in Blender match the scale in Chitubox?

This guys videos helped me get blender setup for 3d printing.

https://youtu.be/HqDnLg3o9WE

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Crackbone posted:

I have two of the mini air purifiers for my elegoo and they work great when I remember to charge them. You might try that.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ropes4u posted:

One Page Rules has some pretty good army deals on their mmf, if you use the 70% off code from their patreon.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

So I ordered my printer on Thursday with Amazon saying that my resin would be here Saturday and the printer itself of Sunday. After checkout, that turned into my resin getting here 2 days ago but the printer taking until NEXT weekend lolz.

Anyway, Now I'm going down the rabbithole of looking for STLs and am completely overwhelmed with the number of sources (I'm familiar with thingiverse from when I got my Ender a while back). If anyone could recommend any good sources for any of this; that'd be awesome

Marine bits (weapons, heads, etc)
Guard infantry and esp stuff like "Jungle Warriors," "Ice Fighters," "Desert Bandits"
Battletech-y type stuff
Epic scaled stuff (I see the rec for 1 Page Rules upthread; I'll check them out)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

So I ordered my printer on Thursday with Amazon saying that my resin would be here Saturday and the printer itself of Sunday. After checkout, that turned into my resin getting here 2 days ago but the printer taking until NEXT weekend lolz.

Anyway, Now I'm going down the rabbithole of looking for STLs and am completely overwhelmed with the number of sources (I'm familiar with thingiverse from when I got my Ender a while back). If anyone could recommend any good sources for any of this; that'd be awesome

Marine bits (weapons, heads, etc)
Guard infantry and esp stuff like "Jungle Warriors," "Ice Fighters," "Desert Bandits"
Battletech-y type stuff
Epic scaled stuff (I see the rec for 1 Page Rules upthread; I'll check them out)

Battletech the Sky's the god drat limit

I can't remember the name of the guy (pretty findable), but someone on myminifactory vhas just been cranking out mechs. Can basically find a sculpt for anything nowadays

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

If you're looking for GW-Look-alikes, then the best thing is to join the various 40k 3d printing facebook groups, or the Wargames Foundry Discord.
The Wargames Foundry discord channel is super good about helping people find specific models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

w00tmonger posted:

Battletech the Sky's the god drat limit

I can't remember the name of the guy (pretty findable), but someone on myminifactory vhas just been cranking out mechs. Can basically find a sculpt for anything nowadays

I think it's "Matt Mason?" If not, then that dude has a metric ton of stuff also and it all looks pretty friggin good. I'd like some more Macross/Votoms style stuff, but I'll take this.