Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It doesn’t have a viewfinder black out unless you tell it to as an effect. You can also do little bars of different styles on the edge of frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Holding out for the Z10.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Should the thread title change to The Z8 Will Literally Never Exist?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I really like the look of the Z fc but wish there were a full-frame one a la the Df. My D750 still holds up pretty well, but I'm pretty ready to make the jump to mirrorless at this point

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Doggles posted:

Should the thread title change to The Z8 Will Literally Never Exist?

The Nikon Thread: Should I go Mirrorless or buy a used D3S?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

im hoping this big jump to mirrorless means i can finally upgrade my d40!

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
I have a serviceable Lumix DMC-GX-1 (along with a fast 50mm equiv and a kit zoom lens) that I got a few years ago, planning to upgrade to an APS-C DSLR if I stuck with the hobby. I wanted a telephoto lens mostly to help me when I'm taking for-fun pictures of my nephews playing little league, and figured I stuck with the hobby enough and it was time to pick up a D3300 off eBay. My reasoning was that the used DX lens market would be better to grow into than Micro 4/3, and I'd get a bit more camera along the way, notably an extra frame per second.

A few questions I was hoping you folks could help me with:

• Did I make a mistake? Is now a silly time to be throwing money at DX lenses? I haven't sold the Lumix yet, so I can just throw the D3300 right back on eBay.
  • Assuming I keep the camera, is the Nikkor 55-200mm a decent entry-level choice for the little league pics?

Thanks Fools Infinite for the Sigma lens recs a few pages back, I've filed 'em away for when I want something faster than the 18-55mm kit lens.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Micro four thirds is way more of a complete system with two first party manufacturers. There is one nonmacro/fisheye prime lens made for crop sensors by Nikon. If you can get a absolute deal on the body and kit lenses it can be fine kit, but it is definitely not a system to grow in to. I would pinch my pennies and move up to something better.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agree — I don't think right now it makes sense to buy into DX. If you wanna get into something APS-C I'd go Fuji. Or just stick with Micro 4/3 and get a nicer body/lens.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

zombienietzsche posted:

I have a serviceable Lumix DMC-GX-1 (along with a fast 50mm equiv and a kit zoom lens) that I got a few years ago, planning to upgrade to an APS-C DSLR if I stuck with the hobby. I wanted a telephoto lens mostly to help me when I'm taking for-fun pictures of my nephews playing little league, and figured I stuck with the hobby enough and it was time to pick up a D3300 off eBay. My reasoning was that the used DX lens market would be better to grow into than Micro 4/3, and I'd get a bit more camera along the way, notably an extra frame per second.
Rent a really good m4/3 body before you spend real money

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Thanks. That's not the answer i wanted to hear, because for me the D3300 is a lot more fun to use, and that alone might be reason to keep it even if my reasoning for getting it sucked.

Edit: Thanks again for the insight. I decided to throw the D3300 back on eBay and instead stick with Micro 4/3. I have some outdated romanticized notions of "dslr being the one true serious camera."

zombienietzsche fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 11, 2021

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Back when I was a sophomore in college, when dinosaurs ruled the earth and dirt was new, I worked for a newspaper and was issued a D1, and later upgraded to a D1x. Then I left for a couple years to go to university, when I came back, they gave me a part-time weekend/football stringer job with the same D1x when everybody else had D2s or D700s, and hopefully somebody else would leave their lenses for me to use. I ended up buying my own D7000 and slowly accumulating glass for it (but still used the all-f/2.8 newspaper lenses when somebody remembered to leave me their kit)

When they laid me off ten years ago, they didn't ask for the D1x back (I've been in touch with one of the guys that's still at the paper, they don't want it.) Thing is, the batteries were trash when I got it, and the charger is long lost and worth more than the body these days.

So the D1x has been kicking around with a body cap on in a box for ten years, with an extremely dead battery. I recently rediscovered it, and found this tutorial: https://aksiongsgearjourney.photo.blog/2019/05/04/the-nikon-en-4-battery-lithium-ion-conversion/

I have a couple of old laptops full of 18650s, might as well try it with the nine 18650s I was able to salvage from the computers. The frankenpack works, and the shutter fires.

:getin:

I ordered a CF card reader and an IR-pass lens filter, might as well have some fun with the zombie D1x body and shoot in IR.

(the gaff tape was me, the damage was from the people that used it before me. Don't ever buy used newspaper gear.)

Edit: LOL the guy doing the battery mod keeping the condom on the end of the battery to prevent the lil' tab from being broken. I didn't know that cover existed. I saw a lenscap once, when I was at the newspaper. ONCE. You're not going to break off that plastic nipple on the battery, and front lenscaps really aren't a thing at newspapers.

Edit: That's the beauty of the Nikon F-mount, those lenses are swappable. If you have a D3xxx, you're screwed, but D7xxx and single-digit D(x) can use all the AF lenses, driven by the body.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 20, 2021

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
It is quite amazing how some pros just beat this poo poo out of their gear. I guess when someone else paid for it you can afford to not worry about resale.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Brrrmph posted:

It is quite amazing how some pros just beat this poo poo out of their gear. I guess when someone else paid for it you can afford to not worry about resale.

They’re tools, they’re meant to be used and not babied. Also when you’re on a job there often isn’t time to coddle your stuff.

This is partly why Nikon and Canon equipment is highly used in pro applications, it can take a licking and keep ticking.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is Jim Marshall's M4. Apparently it has had so many rolls of film through it that when you open it up, there are sprocket hole marks along the top and bottom of the pressure plate.

imagine a Leica guy today using his camera hard enough to brass it up even a little. lmao

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Yeast posted:

They’re tools, they’re meant to be used and not babied. Also when you’re on a job there often isn’t time to coddle your stuff.

This is partly why Nikon and Canon equipment is highly used in pro applications, it can take a licking and keep ticking.

Exactly. That D1x (and the D7000, now that I think about it) has been in pouring rain more than once. Rain at football games, an actual hurricane once for the D1x ... Most of the time I put a towel over them (especially when it was my kit), currently working on taking the cold shoe mount off a long-dead 1970s flash to make a proper mounted rain shield, just for the hell of it. Somehow attach a bit of painter's dropcloth plastic to one side of a hand towel, stick that to the shoe mount, drape it over the camera and lens, Bob's your auntie.

I'm figuring out the IR thing (the D1 series don't have much in the way of an anti-IR filter on the sensor, unlike modern cameras, so a red filter and a steady hand [with a 17mm lens and ISO 800]/tripod is good enough):

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I hopped into one of the local photo shops a couple weeks ago there happened to be a Nikon rep with a Z9 I got to demo. To me it's basically the perfect camera it just drives me insane that its the pro body shape / price. It holds fantastically in your hand which I was a bit worried about being thinner, AF and speed are obviously great, the on/off speed is great. I love that it doesn't have a mirror so the used bodies will be great to pick up.

I really wanted to upgrade my D810 before my honeymoon in Italy next year but there's no way the Z9's guts are going into the prosumer model any time soon. Maybe I'll nab a Z7/6ii for a bargain before heading out.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Ah you prick, I’ve had one on order since announcement, but there’s no tours/roadshows listed for Australia. The NPS team here are also like ‘soon, hopefully’

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Yeast posted:

Ah you prick, I’ve had one on order since announcement, but there’s no tours/roadshows listed for Australia. The NPS team here are also like ‘soon, hopefully’

Honestly if I had one one the way and got to use beforehand it'd probably drive me more nuts. Just know it's amazing and you'll be the one making folks jealous very soon.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I've been looking at getting back into photography. Right now I'm looking at a Z6 and was gonna buy the 24-70 f4 combo but I noticed Nikon has the 24-120 f4 coming out next year which would cover most everything I want to do. Does it make sense to assume Nikon will come out with a combo of that lens and the Z6?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’d say it’s extremely likely.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
The D500 has officially been discontinued with no word on a replacement. RIP to a great camera and maybe Nikon DSLR development.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

gently caress I need to hop on one of them sooner rather than later it seems

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

So the last few years have really been something and I'm finally wanting to get back out there and photo poo poo. I have a D800E (happy 10 year anniversary!), a D7000, and a D40. I like to do landscape but want to get more into wildlife. I have a Nikkor 200-500 5.6E that would be great for the latter but the VR is broken. My financial situation has recently opened the avenue of shedding all this and going mirrorless. So that said here are all my questions:

1. Will Nikon be releasing a Z8 sort of thing, ala D8xx vs D4, and should I wait for that? The Z9 is too much and lol if I'll ever get to put my hands on one ever.
2. If I go mirrorless and get a Z7ii will the in-body VR make up for the broken VR in any given lens like the aforementioned 200-500 5.6?
2a. Does the Z7ii have in body VR? Quick Googling isn't coming back with anything conclusive.
3. I remember a billion years ago you could send DSLRs like the D40 somewhere to have built in filters removed making them much more useful for infrared photography. Is that that still a thing?
4. Is the new FTZ II much better than the first one?
4a. Will long F mount lenses work just fine with FTZ or FTZ II without issue? Again the aforementioned 200-500 but what if I grab a Tamron 150-600 G2?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure a Z8 kinda thing could come out, but who knows when. The Z7 does have in body sensor shift IS. Yes you can still send off cameras for sensor mods. Only difference I'm aware of with the new FTZ is it loses the little tripod foot bump so it'll fit on the Z9 better. It should be fine with long lenses sturdiness-wise, not sure about AF on third party lenses.

For the 200-500, the VR would work with a lens that didn't have IS at all, but I'm not sure how it interacts with a broken module. Why not make getting that fixed part of your gear updates?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Fabulousity posted:

3. I remember a billion years ago you could send DSLRs like the D40 somewhere to have built in filters removed making them much more useful for infrared photography. Is that that still a thing?

Yup, www.lifepixel.com

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Fabulousity posted:

will the in-body VR make up for the broken VR

Probably not. The amount of "leverage" on the picture from the moving elements inside the lens, is usually far greater than the IBIS action on the imaging plane. That is not to say IBIS isn't worth it, because it does absolutely add usable sharpness to the picture. My favourite lens for candid street photography is the 105mm f/1.4 Sigma which has no built-in VR. With IBIS on my Z6II I can get tack sharp shots from it at 1/30s or even 1/20s. With IBIS disabled I'd have to shoot at 1/100s for a comparable image.

However, IBIS did very little for me with long tele shots. I tried attaching an old mechanical Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF lens that I used for budget birding back in the 90s. No VR in that (and also no focus servo!). With IBIS on or off, no discernible difference in terms of stabilization on my Z6.

There is no substitute for the built-in VR function in the 200-500. You should try to get it repaired.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I know DSLR is becoming a 4-letter-word, but if you don’t see a Nikon mirrorless that does what you want for the price point, you could always get the 200-500 repaired and then sell the other three cameras in favor of one better wildlife/sports camera. If I remember correctly the D800E has pretty mediocre auto focus. Maybe trade the three in and get a D750 or a D500?

Nikon Rumors predicts that Nikon will not release any new mirrorless this year but will push the current lineup. As someone not even on the fence yet, I want to see what might be coming in 2023, including the possible D500 mirrorless equivalent.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
My Z9 preorder came in early and I'll be collecting it tomorrow. Can't wait!

I'm going on a bat survey expedition to Borneo in April and I was afraid it wouldn't arrive in time.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice! I had a chance to buy one a month or so back but decided to hold off till the big video firmware feature updates. Seemed like from one lab test it wasn’t giving the full dynamic range the sensor could provide to the log video, so I’m hoping they fix that.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
First day of shooting with this beast was a blast. I picked up the camera at the Nikon hub at Funan, a "tech lifestyle" mall, I'm told. I had arranged to have some lenses and a fully charged EN-EL18 battery with me, borrowed from a fellow Nikon shooter. That way I could walk home through the city with the camera and not miss a minute getting to start experimenting with it. The Nikon people included this fine canvas bag for the camera box. Only after I got home did it register why I got some funny looks on the way. (aside from what you usually get with street photography.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

frumpykvetchbot posted:

First day of shooting with this beast was a blast. I picked up the camera at the Nikon hub at Funan, a "tech lifestyle" mall, I'm told. I had arranged to have some lenses and a fully charged EN-EL18 battery with me, borrowed from a fellow Nikon shooter. That way I could walk home through the city with the camera and not miss a minute getting to start experimenting with it. The Nikon people included this fine canvas bag for the camera box. Only after I got home did it register why I got some funny looks on the way. (aside from what you usually get with street photography.)

Nikon z9 marketing team: :cripes:
AB InBev Corona marketing team: :cheerdoge:

Ordered a z7ii and FTZ2 adapter. Should be good times in a few days.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Fabulousity posted:

FTZ2 adapter.

I'm still puzzled why they made this. I had the original FTZ that I bought with my Z6 II. It fits perfectly on the Z9, doesn't interfere with the vertical grip. The FTZ2 should have had the motor drive for old AF lenses. :mad:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Out of the box shot with 24-70 f2.8 and no clues, resized. The resize knocked out a hot pixel just to the right of the kitten but I think doing the pixel mapping thing fixed it since.

Edit: Finally got Lightroom working again, guess I was behind some versions. Here's a slightly improved rendition from the base JPEG because I didn't realize you had to turn on RAW+x out of the box.

So while waiting for this thing I saw in the product sheet that it had wifi built in. Immediately I thought, "Cool! I can connect this thing wirelessly to my router and transfer files directly to my PC that way!" It seems after some fiddling and Googling that this is not possible and the z7's wifi capabilities are poorly documented and mysterious unless you shell out major cash for a dedicated WU-x. The more things change the more they stay the same. But at least USB-C is cool. The EVF is cool but also very strange. It's neat to see exactly what things are gonna look like but it still adds a weird ethereal quality to everything. The touchscreen back panel is really cool.

I'm coming from a D800E so give me a break on ooh-ing and aah-ing these now basic features. And holy poo poo did all the buttons move around.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 24, 2022

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Repair quote for that Nikon 200-500 5.6E came in: $550. Sound fair for busted VR?

Turn around time is estimated at two weeks but not promised because they might not be able to get the parts/chips.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Fabulousity posted:

Repair quote for that Nikon 200-500 5.6E came in: $550. Sound fair for busted VR?

Turn around time is estimated at two weeks but not promised because they might not be able to get the parts/chips.

TBH I think it's worth doing. Still a lot cheaper than buying a new lens, and the 200-500 5.6 has really excellent glass with high contrast.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

frumpykvetchbot posted:

TBH I think it's worth doing. Still a lot cheaper than buying a new lens, and the 200-500 5.6 has really excellent glass with high contrast.

viz:
Photo taken with the 200-500 f/5.6 lens, at 200mm zoom position. 1/2000s. f/5.6. 900m distance to subject. 1:1 pixel crop (~1/8 width of source image.)

Do get it fixed, it's a fine lens sharp and un-distorted at wide-open aperture for entire zoom range.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I opted to have it repaired shortly after that post. Still waiting for an update.

Do teleconverters like the TC14E II or III work fine when stacked with the FTZ adapter? I'd guess they would but it'd be nice to know for sure.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://nikonrumors.com/2022/05/10/more-discontinued-nikkor-f-mount-lenses-2.aspx/

More F mount lenses discontinued.

Am I the only one sad about this? Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
They are struggling to fill backorders for Z mount stuff, so it makes sense to kill off the old stuff to make room in the production lines for all the new things. Every Nikon user knew the F mount would be killed off at some point.

Curious how it will effect the 2nd hand market.