Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
How do you say "dakka" in Italian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Dakka mia!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Armacham posted:

Dakka mia!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
French orks meanwhile are just aggressively agreeing with each other all the time.

D’AKKORD D’AKKORD

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Magni posted:

Bolt on like twenty machineguns everywhere and that thing could be right out of a 40k Ork army. :allears:

Well, now I 'ave to change my bet for the final, becuz da Yamato is da shootiest and Orkiest boat der is.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 12, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

habeasdorkus posted:

Well, now I 'ave to change my bet for the final, becuz da Yamato is da shootiest and Orkiest boat der is.

:hmmorks:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Pity that I don't think the game can handle painting it red yet.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Armacham posted:

Dakka mia!

:discourse:

Ardeem posted:

Pity that I don't think the game can handle painting it red yet.

My mind immediately jumped to Operation Petticoat: Yamato edition, so gently caress you, have that mental image.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think the bigger guns are going to win this one.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Intermission Battle 1 is one of the more interesting things I think we've done so far: pitting the absolute last word in pre-Dreadnought battleships ("B" lol) -- the HMS Lord Nelson versus HMS Dreadnought herself.

The historical background here is pretty well-known: Dreadnought basically reset the world's thinking on big gun warships virtually overnight due to her combination of speed and her massive all-big-gun broadside. She really was a good example of an intelligent process putting together information to create a revolutionary new concept, but Dreadnought herself would be passed up in short order by the new breed of ever larger and more powerful battleships. She did sink a submarine by ramming it though, which is cool.

The Lord Nelson class is one of those weird quirks of history: the long timeline for building these ships and the rush to build Dreadnought meant that they were launched after the Ship That Changed Everything. I think you can consider them the last expression of the age of ships dating to Warrior and Gloire and the ironclads: big, slow, tough ships of the line that hammer each other with a wide variety of different-caliber guns.

I think this is probably a closer matchup than their historical reputations suggest. Dreadnought enjoys a much larger broadside, but Nelson is comparably protected, and her 9" secondary battery can't be disregarded. Dreadnought is much faster though, and has more advanced fire control features. Dreadnought will probably win, but I don't think this will showcase the clear and enormous generational gap that history remembers. Really, the smart money on this one is betting who eats a torpedo first...

The Kaiser feared her.

France steps in to man the Lord Nelson. She has a lot of guns.

The difference in range and accuracy between these ships and the later-generation ships we've seen recently is incredible. They can only shoot out to around 15km, and are wildly inaccurate at that range. At 15km, Iowa and Yamato will be ripping one another apart.

Dreadnought gets the first hit, and it is nasty. It is actually a deck hit, right behind one of LN's turrets...a very, very dangerous spot. The 12" guns are very effective against this armor scheme.

Dreadnought appears to be more like...Dread-somewhat, as she fights a retreating battle at near her max range for some time. This is smart; she's more dangerous at long range than LN. The problem is her fire is so woefully inaccurate at this range (around 14km) that she has next to no chance of destroying her target.

LN's top speed is an agonizingly slow 18 kts. It is just brutal. She eats a 12" shell on one of her secondary turrets, but it survives.

The two ships are not that far apart, but their shooting even at this range is just terrible. They plod along at this range ineffectually pelting one another for what seems like forever (I got up and made breakfast during this phase of the battle).

Dreadnought, having run through nearly half her ammunition, decides maybe it is a good idea to close the range somewhat and let her big guns do their thing more effectively.

As the range closes, LN's 9" battery becomes more relevant. Their rapid shooting and power are surprising. She hits and damages one of Dreadnought's turrets.

Nelson eats a lot of 9" fire. Her belt is proof against it, but she suffers more turret damage and a penetration near a magazine. Her broadside is impressive, but she still can't hit poo poo.

Dreadnought takes a penetrating hit just below the waterline. Flooding is a BIG deal for these ships: they lack the compartmentalization and flood control of more advanced ships, and hits like this are very problematic. She loses three aft compartments to water and is slowed to 18 kts.

Dreadnought also suffers the first fire of the battle, from a penetrating hit forward of the main belt. This didn't do too much damage, but she's definitely not grossly overmatching her opponent.

LN hasn't taken that many hits, but the ones she has taken have done a lot of damage. She's lost her main tower and suffered engine damage due to a penetration of her main belt.

LN takes waterline hits of her own bow and stern. At least four compartments are flooded and she loses 5 knots. Which, lol.

The two ships are now at about 4km range. Dreadnought has eaten roughly one zillion 9" shells, and has been mostly proof against them. She's suffered no serious damage in the battle so far, until a 12" shell hits her con. Her already poor gunnery gets even worse.

LN looks in better shape, but she's taken massive damage below the waterline and in her engineering spaces.

The two ships continue to close. Even at inside 4km, they miss more than half the time.

Dreadnought finally gets close enough that her shots start landing regularly. She rips LN apart pretty easily: damages all of her engines, destroys her con and tower, and floods more of her stern. It was a pretty dramatic shift.

But in getting so close LN, Dreadnought put herself at greater risk. We have our first turret-rocket in some time, and Dreadnought is ripped in half. She was probably on her way to sinking or at least crippling LN, but she ate a 12" shell right on her amidships turret, and that was that.

I feel like this was a pretty historically authentic fight -- the more advanced and better-regarded ship fights very inconsistently but still gets the upper hand, before something catastrophic ends her day very abruptly. A most British confrontation.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Holy poo poo look at that turret fly

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So this is what happens when early 3D runs up against late 16-bit graphics. :v:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I feel like there would be more impressive differences if it was a squadron of each class with appropriate screening elements.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Obviously Dreadnought lost. It's SA, the one flying the Royal Navy's ensign always sinks :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We'll do the Colorado/Nagato shootout and what should be a great bronze medal game between South Dakota and Richelieu later today. It seems very appropriate for Iowa and Yamato to have their final throwdown on SUPER BOWL SUNDAY. Far fewer commercials and bad musical acts, far more guns and armor!

I'm not ashamed to say it has been hard to not run the battle in advance, but I've held firm!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

bewbies posted:

We'll do the Colorado/Nagato shootout and what should be a great bronze medal game between South Dakota and Richelieu later today. It seems very appropriate for Iowa and Yamato to have their final throwdown on SUPER BOWL SUNDAY. Far fewer commercials and bad musical acts, far more guns and armor!

I'm not ashamed to say it has been hard to not run the battle in advance, but I've held firm!

Any chance can you record the battle and upload it so we can all watch :)

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
They're usually not super exciting to watch, really. Screen shots of key moments like this is pretty much the optimal way to consume the game.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

bewbies posted:

Hell yeah! This has been a very, very entertaining thread. Thanks for putting it together.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

bewbies posted:

:black101:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To quote Rule The Waves: It is a very nice ship, but I wonder if it might not have some hidden flaws? :allears:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pharnakes posted:

They're usually not super exciting to watch, really. Screen shots of key moments like this is pretty much the optimal way to consume the game.

Recently when I was getting up to get on the computer my girlfriend asked me if I was going to play "that really grey game" and it took me a few seconds to realize she meant this one. To be fair, that's a fine impression to have of it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

bewbies posted:

the more advanced and better-regarded ship fights very inconsistently but still gets the upper hand, before something catastrophic ends her day very abruptly

Iowa/Yamato duel spoilers? :v:

Pirate Radar posted:

Recently when I was getting up to get on the computer my girlfriend asked me if I was going to play "that really grey game" and it took me a few seconds to realize she meant this one. To be fair, that's a fine impression to have of it.

My brain immediately jumped to my childhood with 8-bit games played on a black & white TV and froze for a good long while.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Any chance can you record the battle and upload it so we can all watch :)

I'll give this a try. Since you can only run through the battle (no replays) I'll need to pause it to gather screenshots as I do still want to post pics and text (Pharnakes is probably right it is the best way to experience this).

Sorry in advance you'll have to put up with my commentary, but I'll walk through the ship builds and so on beforehand.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

bewbies posted:

I'll give this a try. Since you can only run through the battle (no replays) I'll need to pause it to gather screenshots as I do still want to post pics and text (Pharnakes is probably right it is the best way to experience this).

Sorry in advance you'll have to put up with my commentary, but I'll walk through the ship builds and so on beforehand.

What you could do is approach it like you're editing a video for a lets play (or perhaps something to think about for any follow up/sequel thread), so as you record and occasionally pause, and noting what happens. For the video you put the black bars for the top/bottom of the video for the cinematic experience and put up your text commentary in the bottom bar for short snippets where things are happening but you're otherwise jump-cutting between the action? We get to see things in motion while still getting the abridged experience.

Mouro
Mar 4, 2013

Pierzak posted:

I found a thing:

GM: So here's the deal, you have XYZ points to redistribute on armament, armor, engine and other stuff, try to keep it balanced.
Player: Yeah yeah, now what's the absolute biggest gun I can buy and technically balance on that thing?

Why have two 15" guns when you can have a 18" one? :colbert:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mouro posted:

Why have two 15" guns when you can have a 18" one? :colbert:

Dats a good bote. :orks:

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Pierzak posted:

I found a thing:

GM: So here's the deal, you have XYZ points to redistribute on armament, armor, engine and other stuff, try to keep it balanced.
Player: Yeah yeah, now what's the absolute biggest gun I can buy and technically balance on that thing?

Was the ladder on a tripod mast internal or external? Either way, sounds like a uncomfortable climb. I can only hope that the Japanese pagoda masts added the non-vertical kind of ladders.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

FPyat posted:

Was the ladder on a tripod mast internal or external? Either way, sounds like a uncomfortable climb. I can only hope that the Japanese pagoda masts added the non-vertical kind of ladders.

Almost certainly external, as even in WW2 ships generally required climbing externally to reach the top platform. Still, that's still a lot nicer to be in then the early tripod masts of the British. Since we were just talking about her, have another picture of HMS Dreadnought.

See a slight issue with the view platform positioning on those two tripod masts?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lord Koth posted:

Almost certainly external, as even in WW2 ships generally required climbing externally to reach the top platform. Still, that's still a lot nicer to be in then the early tripod masts of the British. Since we were just talking about her, have another picture of HMS Dreadnought.

See a slight issue with the view platform positioning on those two tripod masts?

No it *cough* looks fine *cough COUGH* to me *HACK cough*

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

The funny thing is that they corrected that in the designs for the next dreadnoughts pretty much immediately, and then brought it back for the battlecruisers, IIRC.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Intermission Battle 2 pits the two baddest ships in the world just after the First World War -- USS Colorado versus Nagato -- in a 4v4 smashup. This battle is particularly interesting for three reasons: first, these two ships were both a big step past most of the ships that fought at Jutland despite being only a few years younger, and 2) they were envisioned as parts of fleets that would fight one another for control of the Pacific...someday, and 3) they're very, very close in capability.

Colorado has slightly better belt armor and that relentlessly tough Standard construction, while Nagato's tremendous speed and deck armor were a clear view of the future. Though they're quite close on specs, it is clear they were built with two very different design philosophies, and I'd argue the Japanese one turned out to really be the wave of the future. Colorado was built to win Jutland II, while Nagato was built to fight a long-range, high speed sniper battle.

Don't be fooled by Nagato's performance in the tournament either: this is in their early 1920s configuration, so Colorado won't have the fire control upgrades and thickened decks that she went to WWII with. Nagato is bigger, faster, and will likely shoot better. But...Standards, man.

I dunno what the hell you call this formation. The American ships are, in order, Oregon, Colorado, North Carolina, and Maryland.

The Americans finally get it together right about the time a 16" shell comes rocketing in from over the horizon.

Oregon takes a heavy hit on her bow before the US even spots the Japanese fleet. This is going well.

The rest of the American battle line returns fire, as Oregon deals with two major 16" holes in her deck. The Standards are FAR more vulnerable without that additional 3 inches of decksteel.

The Japanese battle line finally emerges. It is, in order, Nagato, Banryu, Chuyo, and Hou-Ou. Which I pronounce HOWOW in my head.

Oregon continues to take a beating. I'd say this is long-range, but the battle lines are actually already within 15km of one another. Radar really matters.

Nagato leads the Japanese battle line, and is the target of American gunfire. She takes several heavy hits but it not significantly damaged.

Oregon is under fire from at least 3 Japanese ships. She is taking a heavy beating, but in that tubaship tradition, she seems mostly uninterested by it.

Nagato takes fire from 3 American ships. She stands up to it fairly well, but suffers some engine damage.

The Japanese reverse their course for some reason. The main result I can see is it exposes Nagato to enfilading fire.

The result is seriously ugly. Nagato is hit all along her length, and is effectively crippled.

Colorado and Oregon both eat shellfire through their cons. The decline in fire control may be significant in how this plays out.

Oregon is hit several more times. She drops speed to only 12 kts, and falls out of the battle line. Colorado steams past her.

Nagato is eating fire from both North Carolina and Maryland. Her engines are destroyed and she floods badly, but she's still shooting effectively. The entire Japanese navy seems to be pounding on Oregon.

Oregon is surprisingly cool with this. I think she's been hit around 100 times, but is still slinging steel.

Nagato loses a turret, and settles low in the water. She's also hit by a torpedo, but it does little damage.

The remaining American ships shift their fire to Banryu, and turn to close the range.

Banryu is hit several times in succession, and drops her speed to only 18 kts.

Oregon and Nagato, having been left behind by their respective battle lines, are fighting their own mini-duel as crippled ships. Nagato is getting the worst of it.

Nagato eats another torpedo, and finally sinks.

I think this is Chuyo? Either way, it is the next IJN ship in line. She's hit badly topside and loses her tower.

Oregon is still alive, somehow. What's left of her is still fighting, albeit at about 5 kts. This is pretty much exactly what the scouting report says.

The other American ships form a nice battle line, and sail away from the dying Oregon, leaving her to her fate.

The Japanese line reforms as well. The two sides have done about equivalent damage to one another.

Banryu and Chuyo both eat heavy salvoes almost simultaneously. They're struggling against the American 16" shells.

Unryu loses a turret, but does not explode.

Unryu loses speed also, and falls out of formation. All 3 Japanese ships are STILL pounding on Oregon.

The crippled Unryu is targeted by a torpedo. It slides by her bow by a couple of yards.

The IJN FINALLY says "gently caress it Oregon, goddamn" and shifts their fire to North Carolina, killing her captain. Whoever wins this, the cost in American officers is very high.

Banyru assumes that very familiar pose we've seen from so many dying ships, but she isn't quite dead yet.

Oregon just won't go down to gunfire, so let's try torpedoes.

She eats four of them. These aren't Long Lances, and ships from both sides have good torpedo protection. We've seen shells do more damage.

Four torpedoes later, Oregon STILL WILL NOT GO DOWN. SHE IS LITERALLY JUST SITTING THERE

Ok she finally dies, but she's taken the combined fire of four enemy battleships for what seems like hours while her sisters just ripped the Japanese fleet to shreds.

Banryu...

And Chuyo are both more or less hulks.

And the American fleet almost derisively pounds on Hou-Ou, damaging her engines and flooding her amidships. All 3 Japanese ships are now very heavily damaged.

...but the American fleet seems disheartened by the sinking of Oregon. They leave the three crippled Japanese battleships still afloat, and sail off into the fog.

The total score was 1-1, but the Americans put a huge hurting on the IJN here. I'm really not sure what the big advantage was -- their stats were very similar, maybe even a little favorable towards Nagato. Did that extra little bit of belt armor make that much difference?

Either way, all 3 surviving Japanese ships are going to be in drydock for months, though I'd have court-martialed the American admiral for leaving them afloat when he still had plenty of ammo and three relatively healthy ships to go kill them with. I have no idea why they retreated.

Anyway, that was kind of like Jutland II I guess. I'll call the4 USN the winner, with an asterisk?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Midway through the post I was about to call this a glorious final send-off for the tubaboats but then apparently they all contracted North Carolina disease.

There seems to be something wrong with your bloody officers today.

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
Well, a lot of them were suffering a terrible case of explosions, so it might not be fair to blame the officers?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
They must have read the battle report from the South American Throwdown and been terrified of losing a bunch of ships.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

What was their 16" ammo levels?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ah, America employing some exciting and innovative 'tanking' strategy there.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

loving North Carolina, man.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
The brass section doesn’t gently caress around

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Grizzwold posted: